• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess Amiibo functionality revealed

Velcro Fly

If they sold the amiibo unlock stuff as DLC you'd have people whining about how since one amiibo unlocks stuff across many games, selling it separately is a ripoff. The Zelda characters all unlock stuff in Hyrule Warriors right? And the 3DS version has amiibo support right? And they do things in this game too. So for $13 you get stuff in three games. But no way is Nintendo going to be like yeah the more games that support these amiibo the cheaper we have to keep pricing stuff to not gouge people who don't buy the amiibo.

There is just no way they can win.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was planning to get a Ganondof Amiibo but this just steals the deal. I as I can take extra damage but not deal with Hero mode.

So they finally put a hard mode in Zelda but it's locked behind an amiibo?

Finally, where have you been for last few Zelda games? They added hard mode since Ocarina of Time 3D and every Zelda game since had it.

And hard mode is in the game, you don't need an amiibo for it.

Hmmm... dilemma. I like having all my games digitally, but as an Amazon Prime member, it's actually cheaper to buy physical AND get the Amiibo that comes with it. Too bad Amazon's 20% off deal doesn't apply to digital codes :\

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Except the 60 includes the only amiibo with actual content locked behind it.
The game+amiibo is $60
Ya I know that part but ta get the other benefits ya need 4 other amiibos. Season passes are usually know ta be filled with filler/trash dlc under the category of which I feel stuff like free HP restores an the like fits!

No it was called adventure of link.
What reallys? I thought in the first game once ya beat it ya (or entered your name as Zelda?) unlocked a whole new quest in which the location of almost everything was changed an it was generally much harder. I always likened it to a hard mode.

If they sold the amiibo unlock stuff as DLC you'd have people whining about how since one amiibo unlocks stuff across many games, selling it separately is a ripoff. The Zelda characters all unlock stuff in Hyrule Warriors right? And the 3DS version has amiibo support right? And they do things in this game too. So for $13 you get stuff in three games. But no way is Nintendo going to be like yeah the more games that support these amiibo the cheaper we have to keep pricing stuff to not gouge people who don't buy the amiibo.

Only Link unlocks anything in Hyrule warriors. Rest are random item generators.

The way they can "win" (if you're defining that as people stopping complaining) is stop putting stuff behind amiibos in paid retail games. They want to make amiibo games? Great. Do a proper game like skylanders, make it a budget release with a couple of amiibos and have serious support for them in a game like that.

This half hearted approach where the content isn't worth the money is just going to make more people mad than not.

OR just waiting for official details without weird translations. Nobody here has a clue how all of this will work together exactly but it's all rah rah rah.

Oh come on. You really think the thing people are upset about (only significant announced new content is amiibo locked) is going to change?

I was planning to get a Ganondof Amiibo but this just steals the deal. I as I can take extra damage but not deal with Hero mode.

Finally, where have you been for last few Zelda games? They added hard mode since Ocarina of Time 3D and every Zelda game since had it.

And hard mode is in the game, you don't need an amiibo for it.
Majora's Mask 3D did not. Triforce Heroes only has it in select challenges.

Ya I know that part but ta get the other benefits ya need 4 other amiibos. Season passes are usually know ta be filled with filler/trash dlc under the category of which I feel stuff like free HP restores an the like fits!
Shiek/Zelda do the same thing. The same goes for Toon Link/Link.
You can cut some bushes and get the same benefit.
And if hero mode is in you likely won't need Ganondorf.

Griss

Those are some really lame and uninteresting uses.

They sure are, which is why I'm 100% okay with them.

Had they been anything more I might have skipped the game. Looks like Nintendo is still just about getting the balance right.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
OR just waiting for official details without weird translations. Nobody here has a clue how all of this will work together exactly but it's all rah rah rah.

Yeah, wouldn't it be so much nicer to have proper details more often via official Nintendo channels?

Well, ya, I think that's kind of the point. I think Amiibo are done best when the stuff they do is completely superflous rather than not.

Ganon is the only amiibo that actually seems to do anything of substance.
What is kind of the point? I thought the 2000 increase was unrelated to the amiibo?

Majora's Mask 3D and Tri Force Heroes are the only Zelda games released in the last five years that don't feature a hard mode.

I would say some of the challenges in Tri Force Heroes are basically equivalent to hard mode.

Particularly with avoiding balloons and some time trials.

Kinsei

Banned
I would say some of the challenges in Tri Force Heroes are basically equivalent to hard mode.

Particularly with avoiding balloons and some time trials.

There's also that bear outfit you start the game in. Wearing that makes you take double damage.

It's nice to have this clarified. I'm getting the European bundle with the Midna Amiibo, and I've got Toon Link. So I suppose I'll try them out. I recon Hero Mode will be enough for me, I don't think I'll be bothered purchasing another Amiibo just for a harder mode.

There's also that bear outfit you start the game in. Wearing that makes you take double damage.

Actually, once you accumulate enough Hero Points the Bear Minimum gets powered up and basically becomes a Lucky Loungewear with 2 extra hearts and a 3x better chance at dodging attacks (still take double damage though).

KingBroly

Banned
I like that the Ganondorf amiibo would kind of screw you over. I hope they do something similar for Bowser amiibo in the future.

JaseMath

Not a fan of an amiibo holding a cave hostage. How does one in USA get to the cave if they buy it digitally? NOA isn't selling it separately. And before anyone says dont download digital; this has nothing to do with their shoddy account system.

Amiibo unlocks are 10x worse than any DLC. I get the special perks of hearts and arrows and whatever, but withholding entire areas? That's some Activision-level bullshit.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Nintendo releases a thorough press release soon, since there are so many assumptions flying each time one of these bits of translated info releases.

On topic:

The general Legend of Zelda amiibo (sans Ganondorf) seem like safe, but boring, uses. I'm not complaining, though, since I'm not looking to justify my $12.99 purchase with this one game. Link, for example, now works in at least 5 games, so I see this as more like a $2 function that will become even cheaper as more time passes. The Ganondorf one fascinates me because it seems to be offering a level scaling that would appeal to hardcore players. Perhaps this is a way to incentivize more hardcore players to buy amiibo? If offered alongside the Hero mode we've come to expect from Zelda games, then I see this as a "bonus" in the same way that the healing is.

I sincerely hope that Wolf Link challenge is unlockable via other means UNLESS it's specifically related to what will transfer to Zelda Wii U. Even though I'm a collector of amiibo, I feel like all amiibo content should be available within the game via more difficult or time-consuming means (like Super Mario Maker) or available via a DLC code that costs $5-15 or something (what I think Splatoon should have done), just because physical product availability is not reliable.

LegendX48

People frequently complain about zelda games being too easy on normal and refusing to let you choose hero mode until you've beaten it. they're giving people a difficulty option.

yeah but double damage isn't a good substitute for a hard mode, it's just annoying.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Shiek/Zelda do the same thing. The same goes for Toon Link/Link.
You can cut some bushes and get the same benefit.
And if hero mode is in you likely won't need Ganondorf.
Ya I wasn't intending to count the alt-figures. More like $40 instead of $50 I'm just bad at maths. Anyhows ya could cut grass just like ya could seek out treasures in those Assasain Creed games, or ya could pay to have the game played for ya and your time "saved". idk I think these things seem like fair comparisons to other similar things.

People frequently complain about zelda games being too easy on normal and refusing to let you choose hero mode until you've beaten it. they're giving people a difficulty option.
Ya for a price. Just like Sonic '06 did! Though Sonic 06's Very Hard dlc costs half the price of an amiibo soooo.

It's more than you list. Yoshi costume in Wooly World + characters in Mario Maker as well. Also for use in smash bros 3ds and wii u. Mario Kart 8 mii outfits. Ace combat planes.

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility

There's a lot. For link amiibo it's 11 games and counting. This does not even count twilight princess or hyrule warriors 3ds.

Revven

yeah but double damage isn't a good substitute for a hard mode, it's just annoying.

They weren't going to do any entire rebalancing of the game's difficulty... it was always going to just be Hero Mode. Now you have an amiibo that adds even more damage on top of Hero Mode's already double damage for 4 times the damage.

That being said, an entire rebalance would involve touching enemy AI and a bunch of other stuff. There's never been a Hero Mode that goes that far so why expect it or hope for it?

King_Moc

Banned
I love it.

4x Damage Hero Mode, here we go.

Given how easy this game was, that's probably going to be the only way to play it. It would have had some of the best boss fights of all time...except they only hit you for a quarter of a heart damage, so there is zero threat. Sucks that this is locked behind an amiibo that most people wouldn't want.

Mory Dunz

I don't mind more damage, but I still want hearts. I switched from hero mode in wind waker HD cause I was like...eh this isnt more fun . Especially since I mess around in Zelda a lot.

Mael

and I just bought Link + Zelda amiibos :/
If I knew I wouldn't have bothered considering how shit the functionality is.
Seriously did you ever run out of arrow in TP?
And hearts? in Twilight Princess?
That would have been cool in Zelda 1 or 2, heck even in SS I could its use but TP?
Ganondorf is legit cool, that's going to make a cool game even better.
seriously I'm looking forward to 3H run Hero mode + Ganondorf.

btrboyev

Requiring physical trinkets to unlock in-game content = BS.

It is, but every company is doing it now with real money. At least with Nintendo, you get a nice little collectible along with it and hey..many of these Amiibos work with other games too.

Mael

Ya for a price. Just like Sonic '06 did! Though Sonic 06's Very Hard dlc costs half the price of an amiibo soooo.

There is no DLC that can make Sonic 06 not shit.
TP HD could be sold for the price of the Occulus rift it would still be less of a ripoff than Sonic 06.

Top Bottom