• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess Amiibo functionality revealed

Buy the bundle for $60, play the game, unlock the wallet, sell the amiibo for $20+.

Problem solved.

Rational thinking is bad for you. I wouldn't recommend it.

Due to the functionality it will hold it's value. You can have issue with the practice but this is probably the best scenario if you want the bottomless rupee bag but hate the amiibo practices.

Can you still not use the amiibo if its in the case; They block the NFC sensor in the box yes?

MrBadger

They sound like pretty trivial features. That's good to hear, I don't think I actually have any Zelda Amiibos.

Having the villain make you take more damage is a fun addition. They should do that with other villain amiibos. In the next console Metroid, the Ridley amiibo should give Samus PTSD flashbacks

Last time I played TP I did it with 3 hearts and burnt my shield at the earliest opportunity and it was still really easy, so that Ganondorf functionality should help tremendously.

BKSmash

I can understand why people go off on Nintendo for this whole ''locking things behind Amiibos'' issue. I sometimes agree with you but we all gotta accept that this is a reality and it's not going to change, Amiibo is a winning concept for Nintendo.

The problem with Amiibo is that people will inevitably complain when it involves even a bit of content, but they'll also complain that the amiibo isn't used for anything creative or interesting. Nintendo is pretty much in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position with Amiibo. At least Amiibo are capable of being used with all sorts of games, unlike the rather limited-use nature of Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

Mr-Joker

Banned
At least Amiibo are capable of being used with all sorts of games, unlike the rather limited-use nature of Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

Exactly had each Amiibo been specific to one game then I would be annoyed but that they have the potential to be multi use with other Nintendo titles is okay as I can buy the Amiibo and use it across Nintendo's titles.

Heck we know that Wolf Link Amiibo will be usable in Zelda U so its value has already paid off as it works across in two games.

And if we take it further Link Amiibo is compatible with 7 different Nintendo tiles, not bad for a £10.99 figure.

mugwhump

Anyone looking for a hard mode with better rupee balance on the wii can use these codes
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5ci1yzuwhbh7h9k/TP_Wii_hard_modo_files_v2.rar
Has 6x damage, 1/2 rupees, no rupee notifications and some other stuff.
The 1/2 rupees made a huge difference in terms of rewarding exploration.

Hero mode in ALBW had 4x damage. And given that TP has quarter-heart damage double damage alone isn't going to do much.

Yeah double damage is way too little for TP.

SalvaPot

Rational thinking is bad for you. I wouldn't recommend it.

Due to the functionality it will hold it's value. You can have issue with the practice but this is probably the best scenario if you want the bottomless rupee bag but hate the amiibo practices.

Can you still not use the amiibo if its in the case; They block the NFC sensor in the box yes?

Even opened it will hold its value.

At worst you can sell it to gamestop for $7.

I would have thought some of the recent info like this from Nintendo would have came in a January Direct. I wonder if this means we aren't getting the normal January Direct. Maybe too busy with NX?

Regarding the Amiibos, I don't have too much problem with the majority of the uses. I do wish we didnlt have to have Wolf Link for the wallet upgrade.

I cannot wait to spend my 9,999 Rupees on absolutely NOTHING AT ALL

Pretty much aha, you can wear the Magic Armor for pretty much as long as you wish I suppose. I imagine the wallet transfers over to Zelda U with the amiibo so that's something. Just an assumption though.

I played this game with three hearts, and I rarely ever get hit in the main game (that optional cave trial area in the desert is a different story. Now that was fun). I rarely ever need to be that careful either. Most enemies in this game are stupid, and bosses are glorified puzzles. Few require much skill to defeat.

Basically more damage don't mean much to me. Tell me my foes will attack more and faster, and I'll be excited. Might have a reason to actually look for heart pieces so I ain't dead in one hit if I think my enemies can actually hit me.

The Ganondorf one is cool I guess. I'm not sure it makes a difference anyways. Besides the occasional lucky shot, it's not like enemies really hit you much in this game. Just dodge, bomb arrow them in the face, and be on your way. Or snipe them with the arrows. Or just the Mortal Draw and one shot them anyways. Do people actually get hit when playing TP?

EDIT: ^ Lol Spirit Icana.

oh hey look the Wolf Link amiibo unlock is a cool little extra that provides an optional boost for players who want it, imagine that

good thing no one overreacted right

Whompa02

You're paying for modifiers/extras and getting a piece of crap plastic toy that unlocks said extras.

This is the worst type of segmented content that a company will nickel and dime you for.

It's super dumb.

oh hey look the Wolf Link amiibo unlock is a cool little extra that provides an optional boost for players who want it, imagine that

good thing no one overreacted right

Good thing people keep apologizing for one of the most toxic company practices this industry utilizes on their consumers. The game is two generations old. Think they could throw in some of those extras? Maybe as an incentive? Without a little wall behind it? Nope!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, look. People are again acting like paywalls, pre-order exclusive content, DLCs, monetization and everything similar doesn't really exist on large scale already in the gaming industry. Like that is not already the general practice and successful.

You can be as outraged as you want, but when the additional content is more profitable than the games, meaning that a lot of people are actually happy to pay for the additional content you need to face the reality.

Good thing people keep apologizing for one of the most toxic company practices this industry utilizes on their consumers. The game is two generations old. Think they could throw in some of those extras? Maybe as an incentive? Without a little wall behind it? Nope!

You mean like packaging the game with the amiibo so no one has to buy it separately?

I'm glad to see that they are supporting amiibos, but in a way it seems like paying to unlock cheats. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Also, I'd still prefer if games like this would support functionality from amiibos not from the series (like say, adding a star fox skin in the game).

zsidane

I'll be downloading the game from the eShop and not gonna give a crap about such a inor addition by the amiibo.

If I survived all the GC/GBA connectivity "bonuses", I can make it!

Berordn

If you bought two FULL GAMES you had an extra dungeon in both, that's nothing comparable to a fucking amiibo

Isn't this extremely subjective? Couldn't you just as easily say that both games are worse off for being forcibly tied to the other one for accessing all the content, instead of just being fully featured packages on their own?

Seems like an amiibo for an optional minor dungeon for a bonus you don't need (ruppes do virtually nothing in TP, after all) is a better deal overall.

Dryk

You can be as outraged as you want, but when the additional content is more profitable than the games, meaning that a lot of people are actually happy to pay for the additional content you need to face the reality.
Oh come on. There's no way to discern whether people are buying Amiibo for their functionality or not and you know it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh come on. There's no way to discern whether people are buying Amiibo for their functionality or not and you know it.

Additional incentives keep the business rolling. They even mentioned in the last investor meeting that they need to provide more incentive to use the amiibo.

Revven

I played this game with three hearts, and I rarely ever get hit in the main game (that optional cave trial area in the desert is a different story. Now that was fun). I rarely ever need to be that careful either. Most enemies in this game are stupid, and bosses are glorified puzzles. Few require much skill to defeat.

Basically more damage don't mean much to me. Tell me my foes will attack more and faster, and I'll be excited. Might have a reason to actually look for heart pieces so I ain't dead in one hit if I think my enemies can actually hit me.

The Ganondorf one is cool I guess. I'm not sure it makes a difference anyways. Besides the occasional lucky shot, it's not like enemies really hit you much in this game. Just dodge, bomb arrow them in the face, and be on your way. Or snipe them with the arrows. Or just the Mortal Draw and one shot them anyways. Do people actually get hit when playing TP?

EDIT: ^ Lol Spirit Icana.

Right, this is basically what I've been saying since TPHD was announced. Enemies doing more damage isn't going to actually fix the game's difficulty when most enemies in the game (barring Dark Nuts) do not attack often. At worst, the only enemies besides Dark Nuts that could do a lot of damage with a 2x or 4x multiplier would be the moblins with fire arrows or the ice dragons (or anything ice related, really).

What they really needed to do was change the AI patterns and how often they attack. But they weren't ever going to with the release given what the previous remasters set out to change and gave us as a difficulty mode (Hero Mode). All it will do is punish poor mistakes even more harshly, or even punish accidents (like if you didn't mean to do something).

Mael

I wasn't saying anything, I was citing the fallacy (ie. agreeing).

I'm bad at this, am I.

Isn't this extremely subjective? Couldn't you just as easily say that both games are worse off for being forcibly tied to the other one for accessing all the content, instead of just being fully featured packages on their own?

Seems like an amiibo for an optional minor dungeon for a bonus you don't need (ruppes do virtually nothing in TP, after all) is a better deal overall.
I don't know Zelda is notoriously bad at optional content.
I mean I can't remember a decent reward for doing any lengthy quest in Zelda since Link's Awakening?
The boomerang was really cool there.
OoT? The major sidequests gives you a sword that is less cool looking but deals double damage or infinite ruppees.
MM has plenty of cool reward though, the coolest looking sword is actually temporary.
WW has practically no cool reward I can think of.
TP had infinite ruppes that I saw coming a mile away that I never completed and the great cave with a shitty reward at the end.
SS I can't even remember any decent reward and that's the last of the bunch I completed, that should be telling.

It's actually cool that this dungeon gets a reward that is not utter shit.

and one day we're going to get an optional boss that is hard and fun to fight.
I'll even take an optional strong enemy.
The boss rush they added recently is a step in the right direction but not enough (and they need to stop limiting your options to what you had at the time you defeated the boss too)

maxcriden

cross-posting--

Come on, nobody translated yet the Famitsu article? The screenshots surely look pretty good.

Yes, there's a (partial?) translation:

http://nintendoeverything.com/more-on-amiibo-support-in-zelda-twilight-princess-hd/

Tons of amiibo info here.

Quoting part:

In this area, you cannot revert back to human, so you can’t use the sword, bow, shield or even any healing items, which means this is like a survival challenge. There are 40 basement floors, and when you clear the final floor while having the Giant Wallet, you’ll obtain the Bottomless Wallet. Each floor will have enemies that appear. Depending on the floor, there might be not only enemies, but some gimmicks as well such as tiles that spout lava. The lower you progress, the stronger the enemies will become. And finally about the Bottomless Wallet, the screenshot notes how you can use the Magic Armor for a much longer time with the Rupee limit increase.

Yukinari

So if theyre including a cave that you can only beat in wolf form surely they improved the gameplay of the wolf?

Cause otherwise its just gonna be a test of patience where you cant effectively kill anything cause the wolf sucks at combat.

ffdgh

So Stacking ganondorf with hero mode will make using the zora tunic even more "fun" with it's unique weaknesses.
e5YuU.gif

Regiruler

I'm bad at this, am I.

I don't know Zelda is notoriously bad at optional content.
I mean I can't remember a decent reward for doing any lengthy quest in Zelda since Link's Awakening?
The boomerang was really cool there.
OoT? The major sidequests gives you a sword that is less cool looking but deals double damage or infinite ruppees.
MM has plenty of cool reward though, the coolest looking sword is actually temporary.
WW has practically no cool reward I can think of.
TP had infinite ruppes that I saw coming a mile away that I never completed and the great cave with a shitty reward at the end.
SS I can't even remember any decent reward and that's the last of the bunch I completed, that should be telling.

It's actually cool that this dungeon gets a reward that is not utter shit.

and one day we're going to get an optional boss that is hard and fun to fight.
I'll even take an optional strong enemy.
The boss rush they added recently is a step in the right direction but not enough (and they need to stop limiting your options to what you had at the time you defeated the boss too)

But you were just complaining about them not being hard enough. That would make them a cakewalk.

Oh, look. People are again acting like paywalls, pre-order exclusive content, DLCs, monetization and everything similar doesn't really exist on large scale already in the gaming industry. Like that is not already the general practice and successful.

So the best excuse for this is "well everyone else is doing it!!"? Isn't Nintendo's "thing" about not following shitty industry trends?

And please, let's not act like all DLC is created equal. Look at the Witcher 3's DLC (which sells for less a piece than a single amiibo, mind you), and tell me with a straight face they're providing the same value and content.

Amiibos are great as low-cost, high quality collectible figures. They're bottom-of-the-barrel as DLC items, though. That really can't be argued.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So the best excuse for this is "well everyone else is doing it!!"? Isn't Nintendo's "thing" about not following shitty industry trends?

And please, let's not act like all DLC is created equal. Look at the Witcher 3's DLC (which sells for less a piece than a single amiibo, mind you), and tell me with a straight face they're providing the same value and content.

Amiibos are great as low-cost, high quality collectible figures. They're bottom-of-the-barrel as DLC items, though. That really can't be argued.

All DLC's are created equal, being planned and sometimes developed well in advance. They are not equal in perception of the value, but that's a subjective thing. If you find no value in certain DLC/amiibo/whatever paywall you don't buy it.

Once you buy any DLC, no matter how ethical you think that is, you're actively encouraging this part of the gaming industry and no ulterior outrage has more influence than that. You can throw around thousand of outraged comments, that little blip on the income chart that you made once values more.

Anth0ny

The fanboys would have you believe that, yeah. Truth is, Nintendo has just been behind. They're just now catching up, and with catching up comes all of the shitty industry trends we've come to know and love over the past couple of years.

Paid online is coming. On disc DLC is coming. Retailer exclusive DLC is coming (hell, the TP HD soundtrack is retailer exclusive. Fucking hell! We already have retailer exclusive Amiibo/Pokemon DLC) Don't kid yourselves.

Vena

Paid online is coming. On disc DLC is coming. Retailer exclusive DLC is coming (hell, the TP HD soundtrack is retailer exclusive. Fucking hell! We already have retailer exclusive Amiibo/Pokemon DLC) Don't kid yourselves.

You've been on a nonsense streak for a while now.

This stuff's been on Nintendo consoles in the past (you need only look as far as the GC/GBA), but was absent from the Wii/DS due to a general lack of internet capabilities/changing trends. Catching up alright, with themselves from near a decade ago because that's how time works.

They've had retailer exclusive stuff for as long as there has been retail.

Revven

Huh, so guess I was wrong and it is a Wolf Link version of the Cave of Ordeals... except instead of 50 floors it's only 40... which is 10 less. Makes sense, there's not as many Twilight enemies. I do wonder if you get the Master Sword if you can circumvent this limitation butttt doubtful lol.

I doubt they've tweaked Wolf combat. The challenge part of it is supposed to be that you're Wolf Link, who is intentionally supposed to be inferior to human Link.

Mael

But you were just complaining about them not being hard enough. That would make them a cakewalk.

That would them more interesting rather than just a retread of an earlier fight.
If there's more than 1 way to defeat a boss it's more interesting than following a script.

The fanboys would have you believe that, yeah. Truth is, Nintendo has just been behind. They're just now catching up, and with catching up comes all of the shitty industry trends we've come to know and love over the past couple of years.

Congrats on the BS.
Call us when they do Season pass and Online pass.
The thing I hate with all the BS people spew online is that very little of it is ever original.

Top Bottom