• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess Amiibo functionality revealed

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not worried about hard mode being tied to an Amiibo. I already have the Captain Falcon amiibo so I'm fine.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind more damage, but I still want hearts. I switched from hero mode in wind waker HD cause I was like...eh this isnt more fun . Especially since I mess around in Zelda a lot.

WW Hero mode is punishing for the first few dungeons. You have to be careful with every enemy and hoard potions.

Once you get 10 or so hearts and two bottles, the game gets much easier. Made me wish there was a true WW hard mode that remained difficult throughout.

Neoweee

It is, but every company is doing it now with real money. At least with Nintendo, you get a nice little collectible along with it and hey..many of these Amiibos work with other games too.

Nice Collectable = Negative Value to me. I don't want to own physical things of limited usage. It's like buying overly-specific gimmicky kitchen utensils.

WW Hero mode is punishing for the first few dungeons. You have to be careful with every enemy and hoard potions.

Once you get 10 or so hearts and two bottles, the game gets much easier. Made me wish there was a true WW hard mode that remained difficult throughout.

Unfortunately, that would require Nintendo knowing how to implement difficulty levels well in their single player games, which they have shown almost no indication of learning.

There is no DLC that can make Sonic 06 not shit.

Ironically, the Sonic '06 DLC did make the game less shit. Still shit, but the hard levels and Team Attack Amigo were designed with the game's limitations and issues better in mind.

They even fixed Tails' run speed, but only in the DLC stages.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Zelda needs another mode along with Hero Mode where enemies don't drop items thus forcing you to have to buy supplies from the shops. I mean does anyone really buy arrows and bombs in a Zelda game (excluding times when you have to in order to gain the item)?

Deku Tree

Trial of the Beast area sounds like the Wind Waker Savage Labrynth 2.0. I'll do it for the fun. Don't care about going from giant wallet to 9999 rupees. Pretty useless once you got that far IMHO.

sonto340

A "true" hard mode is picking up less heart containers/pieces of heart. It's always been this way with Zelda games.

Justinh

yup, they sell them for that animal crossing game thing. Also amiibos are better in stock for the most part now (with the restocked units) (more restocks are coming of other units)

I remember seeing the cards for Animal Crossing, I just didn't know if they were doing anything else
I didn't know amiibo stock has gotten better. To be honest, I kinda avoid reading anything about them since when you had to preorder, or be lucky enough to preorder, or import or pay extra for a second-hand one.
I know it's not new for Nintendo, but that sort of stuff really made me mad.

Deku Tree

Yea if you want challenge don't pick up the hearts.

Red Devil

Heh, the Ganondorf sounds interesting for more seasoned players in addition to Hero Mode.

Isn't the new amiibo supposed to store certain data to be used in the upcoming Zelda game.

Not worried about hard mode being tied to an Amiibo. I already have the Captain Falcon amiibo so I'm fine.

Well there's hero mode from the beginning...

It's more than you list. Yoshi costume in Wooly World + characters in Mario Maker as well. Also for use in smash bros 3ds and wii u. Mario Kart 8 mii outfits. Ace combat planes.

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility

There's a lot. For link amiibo it's 11 games and counting. This does not even count twilight princess or hyrule warriors 3ds.

Actually in Super Mario Maker you could unlock all of them through the 100 Mario Challenge.

Kinsei

Banned
Heh, the Ganondorf sounds interesting for more seasoned players in addition to Hero Mode.

Isn't the new amiibo supposed to store certain data to be used in the upcoming Zelda game.

Well there's hero mode from the beginning...

Yes it is. We have no clue what it is going to transfer though.

Mael

Ironically, the Sonic '06 DLC did make the game less shit. Still shit, but the hard levels and Team Attack Amigo were designed with the game's limitations and issues better in mind.

They even fixed Tails' run speed, but only in the DLC stages.
I don't think I'll ever see that.
Pretty funny that anything else is better than the base game in this project.
Like the demo was straight up better than the final game too.
What a trainwreck that was.
I don't think the improvements make the game worth playing in a non ironic way though
Zelda needs another mode along with Hero Mode where enemies don't drop items thus forcing you to have to buy supplies from the shops. I mean does anyone really buy arrows and bombs in a Zelda game (excluding times when you have to in order to gain the item)?
Because farming bombs was really fun in Zelda 1.
More than not dropping supplies it needs more shops to not have to go half a world away because you don't have enough supplies.
Ironically that's the case of TP.
As Other M showed, making enemies not drop anything is the wrong way to go about it.
If you do that there's no reason to kill any enemies anymore and since it's a 3D game it's pathetically easy to just ignore any foes and it makes encounter trivial.
the better way to go about it would be to de emphasize sword fighting to make bombs/arrows and the like useful (and I don't mean puzzles like in SS but making battle easier like in Zelda 1 or 3 (heck even OoT)) in battle and be more stingy on how much you can carry so that you need to defeat foes to get more and buy them whenever possible.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Locking a dungeon and extra hard mode behind amiibo. God damnit. I was hoping Mario Maker would start a precedent with amiibo a just being skins and ones that could also be unlocked without them. Welp.

papo

So everyone was making a huge deal over what seem to be a trivial challenge just to get useless Rupees up to 9999?

I still feel jumping to conclusions too soon was the issue, but I'm sure some are still bent that Nintendo is locking what seems to be some pretty trivial challenge that will only grant you 9999 Rupees at the end of it. Nothing really important is being locked out it seems.

I feel some of you just want to complain about anything because we've know for a couple of years that Amiibo. would open up trivial DLC like what this is. So yeah I'm sure the bitching and the salt will be endless even if it is change Link's eyes color behind some Amiibo.

andthebeatgoeson

So not a dungeon but a fricken cave. To hold more money. I know there's a principle about this but a bigger wallet in a Zelda game does, literally nothing. No way it was a new dungeon. They wouldn't put that effort into it for the majority to not experience it. They love dungeons.

They even catch feelings because most people don't complete games and don't experience the latter dungeons.

b3b0p

Do we know if said features are unlockable without the Amiibo? I have enough shit in my place, I'm buying more shit to throw in storage or clutter my place up.

Agreed; I don't see a point in taking more damage when the enemies and every other challenge in the game doesn't change, and you (apparently) get absolutely no reward for doing so.

Because it's a fun little feature they decided to tie to the Ganondorf amiibo. He's evil and makes you take more damage, it's pretty cute and funny.

papo

AKA you can't find a legitimate complaint, so you'll just preorder a future one.

The man just wants to be outrage and live in all that salt. Let him have his dream.

But seriously. I said in the other thread it was all jumping to conclusions over nothing and when it turned out to be just that, nothing, people still find ways to be outraged.

Terrible decision by Nintendo.

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come in the Zelda world.

Well it is, Zelda U has amiibo support.
I don't get why everyones acting so upset over this, it's all optional content. I bet a lot of people here didn't even do the Cave of Ordeals in the original release.

MisterHero

Hero Mode
Ganondorf Amiibo
Zora Tunic
3 Hearts Only
Also you gotta fill all your bottles with Special "Blink and you'll miss!" Chu Jelly. They're so rare I never even used them.

They're like Great Fairy's Tears except IIRC you could only carry one at a time. But add to that the Chu Jellies then you've got an assortment of unused bottles!

Vidiot

The amiibo functions are almost worthless IMO. Don't care though because I happen to like amiibo and figure collecting. Plus TP is my favorite 3d Zelda. I was going to get this either way.

Was this cave in the original?

Cave of Ordeals was, we don't know anything about the new one but I'm assuming it's very similar. To answer your question though no it wasn't. The original Cave of Ordeals was kind of like a Zelda horde mode where you just kept fighting different enemies.

Also you gotta fill all your bottles with Special "Blink and you'll miss!" Chu Jelly. They're so rare I never even used them.

They're like Great Fairy's Tears except IIRC you could only carry one at a time. But add to that the Chu Jellies then you've got an assortment of unused bottles!

They spawn all the time after the Eldin Bridge is completed when you go on horseback near a certain area. I'll post the farming location in the OT if its still there when the version comes back. Its literally a cave like area where they fall from the ceiling. I think its also only 1 a bottle and then they stop spawning till you use it.

Cave of Ordeals was, we don't know anything about the new one but I'm assuming it's very similar. To answer your question though no it wasn't. The original Cave of Ordeals was kind of like a Zelda horde mode where you just kept fighting different enemies.

Huh. That's funny I don't remember that at all. Oh well Twilight Princess has enough dungeons for me and I never use ruppees unless require so I think I'm good

It also got harder as time went on. I'd like to see someone do Cave of Ordeals on Hero Mode with 3 hearts & the Ganondorf amiibo .

Acerac

Banned
The fact that fairly equal amounts of people are bitching about the unlocks being not enough and too much is awesome to me.

I'm not too bothered either way, though I'd prolly want to use Gdorf for my playthrough.

None of these amiibo bonuses make or break the game for me. Rupees were basically useless by the time you can get the largest wallet and even then having that many Rupees only makes the Magic Armor even more powerful. Not sure why anyone would bemoan having to get a amiibo for this other than completionist reasons.

P.S. Hero mode ≠ 2x damage. ALBW had a Hero Mode that dealt 4x damage.

Dryk

The fact that fairly equal amounts of people are bitching about the unlocks being not enough and too much is awesome to me.
Nintendo's made a very polarising value proposition. If you don't value the figures, and don't value the idea of the figures unlocking things in multiple games then it's a massive rip-off. You you do then it's great.

I think skins and things like the extra hearts/whatever (if they'd stop limiting them to one a day for no reason) is the best that they could do. People that like the figures get a whole bunch of tiny bonuses and people that only want the one thing in the one game now gain the ability to ignore Amiibo completely.

Of course that's all assuming that people feeling forced to buy shit they don't want to get what amounts to heavily overpriced DLC for them isn't Nintendo's goal in the first place. Personally I wouldn't want to be fostering that undercurrent of resentment but that's why I'm not in business I guess.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
When we get Skyward Sword HD there'll be a Fi amiibo which will cause the in game character to shut up. It's quite brilliant in an evil sort of way :D

Top Bottom