• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 167 |OT| The Decisioning of Johnny Hendricks by the Coward GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a big GSP fan but I think the title of this thread is out of line. I think the guy is dealing with some serious issues and should be taken at his word. IMO of course.

Not a big GSP fan but I think the title of this thread is out of line. I think the guy is dealing with some serious issues and should be taken at his word. IMO of course.

Thread title was made before the fight. Check the OP post date. Mods don't typically change UFC OT thread titles. At least I can't think of a time it's been done.

Just reading this makes my blood boil. Stahp.

Hendricks was robbed, sure, but was that GSP's fault?

PS: I was rooting for Hendricks

Nope, it's not GSP's fault that it went to an awful decision. Johnny couldn't finish him and the judges are retarded. None of which GSP had a hand in. Fucking sucks though.

JB1981

I thought he fought hard and took more punishment than I thought he would. He hung in there but was outmatched.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
St-Pierre, Hendricks, Woodley and Cerrone earned $50,000 post-fight bonuses for their work.

Main Card (Pay-per-view)
Georges St-Pierre ($400,000 + no win bonus = $400,000) def. Johny Hendricks ($50,000)
Rashad Evans ($125,000 + $125,000 = $250,000) def. Chael Sonnen ($100,000)
Robbie Lawler ($83,000 + $83,000 = $166,000) def. Rory MacDonald ($50,000)
Tyron Woodley ($52,000 + $52,000 = $104,000) def. Josh Koscheck ($78,000)
Ali Bagautinov ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Tim Elliott ($12,000)

Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1)
Donald Cerrone ($48,000 +$48,000 = $96,000) def. Evan Dunham ($25,000)
Thales Leites ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Ed Herman ($40,000)
Rick Story ($27,000 + $27,000 = $54,000) def. Brian Ebersole ($18,000)
Erik Perez ($18,000 + $18,000 = $36,000) def. Edwin Figueroa ($12,000)

Preliminary Card (YouTube)
Jason High ($15,000 + $15,000 = $30,000) def. Anthony Lapsley ($8,000)
Sergio Pettis ($8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000) def. Will Campuzano ($10,000)
Gian Villante ($19,000 + $19,000 = $38,000) def. Cody Donovan ($8,000)

Disgusting how little a lot of these guys make

Ensirius

Then what do you think Dana said to him? Dana wants his biggest draw on another card and he isn't known for his tact.

Dana's on another level of being a dick. He runs a corporation, which happens to be about two human beings hitting each other with some rules. He doesn't care about the well being of the fighters, he cares about us buying PPV's and going to these events, and that means fights being entertaining, and if that doesn't happen, he's going to lose money, and that's what he cares about. For him being pissed and seing how GSP won an unfair fight is not about fairness, he didn't say all those nasty things about GSP because he didn't like the things he said post-fight (about having to deal with some personal issues): it's about how people perceive that win, and how they may turn down the offer of buying the next PPV because "who cares! these judges are going to fuck it up again".

Azih

GSP should probably have one final fight as a rematch to Hendricks and then call it a career. Would be a great way to end it either way.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Disgusting how little a lot of these guys make

These figures are "disclosed earnings" - as in, the UFC is forced to make publicly aware how much their fighters "earn." And Dana has went on record a number of times saying that he will never disclose the complete earnings of a fighter due to lessons learned from boxing.

Between sponsorship money, PPV percentages, "locker room" bonuses, merchandising, etc. Most of these guys are easily making 2-3 times the amount stated - with guys like GSP - and probably Chael - making over a million.

And if you think this is bad: look at how much the average fighter in Bellator, WSOF or one of your local shows makes. I know guys who fight for $200-300 in Thailand and - because they're foreigners - this is the "high-end" of that promoter's payscale.

DKehoe

Dana's on another level of being a dick. He runs a corporation, which happens to be about two human beings hitting each other with some rules. He doesn't care about the well being of the fighters, he cares about us buying PPV's and going to these events, and that means fights being entertaining, and if that doesn't happen, he's going to lose money, and that's what he cares about. For him being pissed and seing how GSP won an unfair fight is not about fairness, he didn't say all those nasty things about GSP because he didn't like the things he said post-fight (about having to deal with some personal issues): it's about how people perceive that win, and how they may turn down the offer of buying the next PPV because "who cares! these judges are going to fuck it up again".

If Dana was just about exploiting people for the most money possible he wouldn't have had Chuck retire.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
He doesn't say that all, he says the sport is full of dope, and Dana White and the UFC don't want serious doping tests as the ones he has been proposing. Hendricks was going to go for it since GSP was going to spend the 16k needed for it himself for before-fight testing, during training. Then Hendricks team did a 180, supposedly at the request of the UFC.

http://translate.google.com/transla...00-controles-antidopage-gsp-decu-par-lufc.php

Mission

I'm glad you said that. I recalled that from months ago when this came up but even on my reading of this article I didn't think it said that and figured LaPresse was inventing the claim.

Hendricks camp and GSP's camp disagreed on the testing company. GSP wanted VADA and Hendricks wanted WADA.

Hendricks camp claims that WADA is tougher. Testing is completely random and they need to know where you are at all times. When they call you to test you, you have to be there within an hour to test, if not you fail. Kizer also said that GSP's lawyer was asking the specifics about what WADA tests for and that neither Kizer or WADA would release that info to them. GSP's camp prefers VADA and offered to pay either a portion or the whole bill for Hendricks to do VADA (claims vary).

Dana and Kizer didn't care which one they used but said that if the fighters agreed on a testing service (even if they weren't using the same one) that the NSAC would honor the results. In the end with all the back and forth Hendricks camp decided not to use VADA. There's a ton of articles on the subject.

Edit: Here's a quick and dirty recap of how it went down: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/...off-about-wada-vada-testing-georges-st-pierre

There's other older articles that have the Keith Kizer quotes though.

industrian

Hendricks camp and GSP's camp disagreed on the testing company. GSP wanted VADA and Hendricks wanted WADA.

Hendricks camp claims that WADA is tougher. Testing is completely random and they need to know where you are at all times. When they call you to test you, you have to be there within an hour to test, if not you fail. Kizer also said that GSP's lawyer was asking the specifics about what WADA tests for and that neither Kizer or WADA would release that info to them. GSP's camp prefers VADA and offered to pay either a portion or the whole bill for Hendricks to do VADA (claims vary).

Dana and Kizer didn't care which one they used but said that if the fighters agreed on a testing service (even if they weren't using the same one) that the NSAC would honor the results. In the end with all the back and forth Hendricks camp decided not to use VADA. There's a ton of articles on the subject.

Edit: Here's a quick and dirty recap of how it went down: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/...off-about-wada-vada-testing-georges-st-pierre

There's other older articles that have the Keith Kizer quotes though.

WADA is the organisation that does the Olympics. VADA is an organisation with ties to Victor Conte. Need I say more?

wow...not worth it at all. Suppose those guys are doing it for their love of the sport rather than making a living.

It's an entry-level and exit-level promoter. Foreigners fight there to get initial fight experience and of experience of fighting "proper" Muay Thai (as in, against Thais.) Most Thais there are either young guys getting initial experience or a bunch of older fighters looking to collect a quick paycheque. That said, $200-300 goes a long way in Thailand.

Haunted

Just saw the fight.

Bullshit decisions like that are the reason boxing has fallen out of favour with so many people.

edit: watching the post fight press conference now, completely agree with Dana White.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Watched the fight last night. I can understand Hendricks being pissed, but in all fairness I've seen worse decisions. Much worse.

Both me and my buddy who have been watching UFC since #1, both thought it was going to be a close decision, and neither of us was all that surprised when it went GSP's way.

The plain truth is that MMA as its scored, is not about who dealt the most damage, its a point based system where specific actions have a hierarchy. Its a deeply flawed methodology that favours game-plans based around neutralizing your opponents ability to score. It values grappling over striking for this reason; best example being that maintaining top position but doing nothing, scores better than continuously backing your opponent up on the feet, even though both are cases of one fighter dictating where the fight goes...

DKehoe

WADA is the organisation that does the Olympics. VADA is an organisation with ties to Victor Conte. Need I say more?

Another big part of why Hendricks didn't want to do VADA is that VADA were going to use GSP as a spokesperson and had pictures of him on their website to promote themselves. Hendrick's camp didn't view VADA as being neutral because of this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why do people think GSP is gay?

And I didn't know about the WADA thing. Sounds like GSP was trying to pre-emptively cast a Hendricks victory in doubt.

industrian

Why do people think GSP is gay?

The same reason why people think any unmarried, rich, famous white guy who's not known for dating other celebrities is gay.

Or in other words: people like to speculate about shit they know nothing about.

agrajag

Banned
Didn't Hendrix break his knee in the fight? Some GSP fans are making the argument that a broken knee is more damage than the facial damage Georges took. Personally, I'd have to rewatch the fight, but the broken knee seems more like a freak accident more than anything It's not like GSP set out to break his knee. And it's not like the knee injury prevented Hendrix from adminestering further ass whooping on the champ.

I've read through the thread but I'm having a hard time understanding what happened exactly (I didn't watch the fight nor the press conference). From what I've gathered, George won the fight but some people claim foul, and Dana White backstabbed him like the asshole that he is ?

Is this it ?

hwalker84

I've read through the thread but I'm having a hard time understanding what happened exactly (I didn't watch the fight nor the press conference). From what I've gathered, George won the fight but some people claim foul, and Dana White backstabbed him like the asshole that he is ?

Is this it ?
More like GSP won and almost everyone believes Hendricks won. Dana was pissed more at the I need to take some time comments and was getting on GSP until GSP came in.

muddream

Banned
Didn't Hendrix break his knee in the fight? Some GSP fans are making the argument that a broken knee is more damage than the facial damage Georges took. Personally, I'd have to rewatch the fight, but the broken knee seems more like a freak accident more than anything It's not like GSP set out to break his knee. And it's not like the knee injury prevented Hendrix from adminestering further ass whooping on the champ.

Didn't know you could get high off asthma inhalers...interesting.

oneHeero

More like GSP won and almost everyone believes Hendricks won. Dana was pissed more at the I need to take some time comments and was getting on GSP until GSP came in.
Gsp won in my opinion.

He had rd 1,.3, and 5. 1 could be a tossup but the take down gives gsp the round along w his title. Hendricks has to do more than that. Gsp won 3rd clearly. And the 5th rd was controlled by gsp.
Hendricks left it w the judges, no ifs and or or buts. Damage or not, gsp won the fight.

Gsp won in my opinion.

He had rd 1,.3, and 5. 1 could be a tossup but the take down gives gsp the round along w his title. Hendricks has to do more than that. Gsp won 3rd clearly. And the 5th rd was controlled by gsp.
Hendricks left it w the judges, no ifs and or or buts. Damage or not, gsp won the fight.
Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom