• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 167 |OT| The Decisioning of Johnny Hendricks by the Coward GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.
ssskYgt.jpg

MAIN CARD/PPV

WELTERWEIGHT
(C) GEORGES ST. PIERRE (24-2-0) v JOHNNY HENDRICKS (15-1-0)
uFs3Y1u.png

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
CHAEL SONNEN (29-13-1) v RASHAD EVANS (23-3-1)
zRHST1Q.png

WELTERWEIGHT
ROBBIE LAWLER (21-9-0, 1 NC) v RORY MACDONALD (15-1-0)
u1PwWGG.png

WELTERWEIGHT
JOSH KOSCHECK (19-7-0) v TYRON WOODLEY (11-2-0)
9yNfXzp.png

FLYWEIGHT
ALI BAGAUTINOV (11-2-0) v TIM ELLIOTT (10-3-1)
Rss5jkW.png

TELEVISED PRELIMINARIES

jsrKLYP.png

YOUTUBE/FACEBOOK PRELIMINARIES

up3ru36.png

20 YEARS AGO...

Art Davie proposed to Ricky Stuart and John Milius an eight-man single-elimination tournament called "War of the Worlds". The tournament was inspired by the Gracies in Action video-series produced by the Gracie family of Brazil which featured Gracie Jiu-Jitsu students defeating martial-arts masters of various disciplines such as karate, kung fu and kickboxing. The tournament would feature martial artists from different disciplines facing each other in no-holds-barred combat to determine the best martial art and would aim to replicate the excitement of the matches Davie had seen on the videos. John Milius, a noted film director and screenwriter, as well as a Gracie student, agreed to act as the event's creative director. Davie drafted the business plan and twenty-eight investors contributed the initial capital to start WOW Promotions with the intent to develop the tournament into a television franchise.

In 1993 WOW Promotions sought a television partner and approached pay-per-view producers TVKO (HBO), SET (Showtime) and Campbell McLaren at the Semaphore Entertainment Group (SEG). Both TVKO and SET declined, but SEG–a pioneer in pay-per-view television which had produced such off-beat events as a gender tennis-match between Jimmy Connors and Martina Navratilova–became WOW's partner in May 1993. SEG contacted video and film art-director Jason Cusson to design the trademarked "Octagon", a signature piece for the event. Cusson remained the Production Designer through UFC 27. SEG devised the name for the show as The Ultimate Fighting Championship.

WOW Promotions and SEG produced the first event, later called UFC 1, at McNichols Sports Arena in Denver, Colorado on November 12, 1993. Art Davie functioned as the show's booker and matchmaker. The show proposed to find an answer for sports fans' questions such as: "Can a wrestler beat a boxer?" As with most martial arts at the time, fighters typically had skills in just one discipline and had little experience against opponents with different skills.

The television broadcast featured kickboxers Patrick Smith and Kevin Rosier, savate fighter Gerard Gordeau, karate expert Zane Frazier, shootfighter Ken Shamrock, sumo wrestler Teila Tuli, boxer Art Jimmerson and 175 lb (79 kg) Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Royce Gracie—younger brother of UFC co-founder Rorion, whom Rorion hand-picked to represent his family in the competition. Royce Gracie's submission skills proved the most effective in the inaugural tournament, earning him the first ever UFC tournament championship after submitting Jimmerson, Shamrock and Gordeau in succession. The show proved extremely successful with 86,592 television subscribers on pay-per-view.

However, the promoters did not intend for the event to become a precursor to a series. "That show was only supposed to be a one-off", eventual UFC president Dana White said. "It did so well on pay-per-view they decided to do another, and another. Never in a million years did these guys think they were creating a sport."

mc1xco7.jpg

whXQclc.png

20 YEARS OF HALL OF FAME

ZFnUpPH.png
g3SEL4J.png

MCeanfA.png
PiZg0I2.png

xbiW7GZ.png
B44qFHI.png

ojGJCTN.png
urUnmg8.png

UFC, as part of the 20th birthday celebration, is having 2 cards in the up coming days as well:

:::UFC: Fight for the Troops 3 - Wed, November 6th:::

j21g7Se.jpg

http://uk.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-fftt-fort-campbell

:::UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson - Sat, November 9th:::

2AqaWZ5.jpg

http://uk.ufc.com/event/ufn-belfort-henderson

karasu

I hope GSP loses sight of his tactical MO for a moment so he can knock that fucking beard into Christmas.

Jake.

hopefully hendricks puts him to sleep fairly quickly so i don't have to yawn my way through a 5-round slumber party.

Hunter S.

Fighting smart wins the race! Smart.
Edit: Love how UFC started in Denver and Colorado still has a large number of fighters coming from the state to this day.

My dream picks:
GSP submits Hendricks in the 4th round after an evenly fought bloody battle.
Chael Sonnen submits Rashad Evans.
Rory KTFO Robbie Lawler
Woodley KTFO Koscheck.

I actually believe that Sonnon beats Evans. His style is more offensive. I always believed Evans to be a tad bit overrated because he KO'd a way out of prime Chuck.

MjFrancis

I actually believe that Sonnon beats Evans. His style is more offensive. I always believed Evans to be a tad bit overrated because he KO'd a way out of prime Chuck.
Rashad Evan's last sixteen rounds have been some of the most boring shit MMA I've had the displeasure of watching.

GSP on the other hand, while suffering from a far worse streak of most boring rounds of MMA, had a bloody five-round battle with Condit that was good enough and managed to outclass Diaz so thoroughly that he left the Octagon altogether. Hendricks will push the pace and look to Matt Serra GSP. If it doesn't happen before Round 3 it's probably not going to happen, and then we'll witness the Decisioning of Johnny Hendricks by the Coward GSP.

ShaneB

167 is a great card top to bottom, some interesting fights on the other cards as well (that I had no idea existed until yesterday).

HiResDes

I got Evans, Rory, and I'm pulling for Hendricks though I'd bet on GSP...This actually could be a really good card.

Dysun

I pray for Johny to end this nightmare GSP run, but he is losing 50-45 jabfest/wall and stall/lay and pray ulra boring combo

I forgot Shael gets Rashad on this card also, that guy is also so boring he preemptively kills hype (even with Shael!)

muddream

Banned
I'm looking forward to the Shale throwing spinning shit and generally making a fool of himself because he can't take his opponent down.

ShaneB

Yes Yes, I am well aware of schedules and whatnot :p I'm a casual fan even despite my regular interaction in mma-gaf, I'm just saying, 3 cards so close together often kills any major promotion that you can pump into one card, let alone 3. I guess since I'm not watching TUF this season as well I'm not seeing whatever promos they throw on that.

Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom