• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 167 |OT| The Decisioning of Johnny Hendricks by the Coward GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

The term "damage" will no longer be used as a descriptor when discussing the scoring of a round. It will be replaced by "effective".

"Effective Striking" - Heavier strikes that have a visible impact on the opponent will be given more weight than the number of strikes landed.

M1em6Yl.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The term "damage" will no longer be used as a descriptor when discussing the scoring of a round. It will be replaced by "effective".

"Effective Striking" - Heavier strikes that have a visible impact on the opponent will be given more weight than the number of strikes landed.

M1em6Yl.jpg

So punches to the stomach don't matter because they don't lead to visible impacts on the opponent? Doesn't really make sense.

Are we going to outlaw beards too, and shave everyone's heads, otherwise it hides the visible impacts?

Why? It's supposed to be MIXED Martial Arts, not street brawls.

A guy can look like GSP did after a fight it means nothing, it just means the other guy hit him in the face. This isn't boxing.

The fact is GSP didn't out perform Hendricks in any area of MMA. So your point here is meaningless.

So punches to the stomach don't matter because they don't lead to visible impacts on the opponent? Doesn't really make sense.

Are we going to outlaw beards too, and shave everyone's heads, otherwise it hides the visible impacts?

Body shots show by fighter reaction the same as leg kicks. In order to be considered effective it has to have either an immediate or cumulative effect on the opponent. GSP did very little body work in this fight so it doesn't even apply.

muddream

Banned
Why? It's supposed to be MIXED Martial Arts, not street brawls.

A guy can look like GSP did after a fight it means nothing, it just means the other guy hit him in the face. This isn't boxing.

The term damage isn't restricted to visible damage. The fact that you find it hard to tell that Jonhy's strikes were hurting GSP way more than the other way around doesn't make most of the fight any less one-sided, it just gives you that prime '94 Rick Moranis type vibe.

GSP isn't the only "nice guy" in MMA. There have been many before him and there will be many after him. He draws because of his dominance. It's the same reason why Silva draws. There may be something to be said of his being Canadian as well.

Except GSP is a far bigger draw than Silva.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Saying GSP is done is crazy. Even if he isn't the very best in the division he can still beat pretty much everyone else.

Anyone who's watched an Ace pitcher's velocity dip from the mid-90s to the low-90s knows that it's the start of a trend. GSP is the world champ, but he's been vulnerable for the last year at least.

I disagree with the contention that Hendricks can never develop into a draw. He did a great job of pushing the pace, and is a charismatic speaker.

People maybe angry but that definitely as more to do with Dana not mincing words and being honest about his anger with both the decision and with GSP's on the fence statements immediately after the fight.

The statements in the Bleacher article are disingenuous at best actually because they specifically avoid the fact that after hearing GSP express his discomfort in talking about his problems and his being unsure when he would return, Dana actually stepped in and rejected MULTIPLE questions from the Press that were trying to push the issue for a quote. He saw that GSP wasn't in the condition to field those answers and shielded him from the press, even when a reporter tried to say it in French to circumvent Dana's protection.

Dana absolutely shows more care for the fighters than I've seen in any other MMA organization. That doesn't mean that he's immune from having a gut reaction to the events that went down.

You are crazy. White stepped in because he's a monopolist that wants total control of his organization. He couldn't give a shit about any fighter.

You are crazy. White stepped in because he's a monopolist that wants total control of his organization. He couldn't give a shit about any fighter.

How does him refusing to allow reporters to ask GSP how soon he thinks he'll fight again mean he's a monopolist? Georges was asked once and avoided giving a solid answer because he said he'd just been in a war and needed time to think. That he couldn't even think at the moment. White stepped in when the question was repeatedly rephrased and told the press to stop asking the same question when Georges has already expressed that he doesn't want to answer it. Nothing about that is controlling or shows a desire to monopolize.

Skeyser

It makes sense to me that GSP would retire. Before the last few fights he'd step in the octagon, take barely any damage at all and rack in the millions.

Right now he must be looking at his bank account and wondering why he'd ever want to get punched by Hendricks again.

Mises au sol: GSP 3 / Hendricks 2
Coups à la tête réussis: GSP 47 / Hendricks 56
Coups au corps réussis: GSP 26 / Hendricks 3
Coups aux jambes réussis: GSP 28 / Hendricks 22
Total de coups réussis: GSP 101 / Hendricks 81
Total de coups tentés: GSP 125 / Hendricks 127
Pourcentage de coups réussis: GSP 83,4% / Hendricks 60,8%

Les stats donnent raison à GSP et aux juges....

May16

It's not kata and it's not ballet. It's a fight.

GSP got the shit beat out of him and had to immediately go to the hospital.
Johnny Hendricks was doing interviews, walking around normally, and looked like he'd just been to the gym. So tell me...do you really think GSP won that fight? Do you, really?

Numbers on paper are nice, but if "Les stats" are what we rely upon, then there's no need to even watch the fight and there's little use for "aux juges" to begin with.

Heel

If combat sports were about counting up punches, they'd put sensors in their gloves and let them having a fencing match with their fists. That is not how a fight is scored.

If someone lands 5 jabs and then gets dropped with a body shot, they are not winning the striking battle 5 to 1. In fact they aren't winning at all.

If combat sports were about counting up punches, they'd put sensors in their gloves and let them having a fencing match with their fists. That is not how a fight is scored.

If someone lands 5 jabs and then gets dropped with a body shot, they are not winning the striking battle 5 to 1. In fact they aren't winning at all.
I've been arguing with some dumb fucks on twitter who think exactly this. It's maddening. They seem to forget that Goldie tells them that fights are scored on "effective striking, grappling, aggression and Octagon control." It's like they don't hear the words "effective" or "aggression".

Heel

I've been arguing with some dumb fucks on twitter who think exactly this. It's maddening. They forgot when Goldie told them that fights are scored on "effective striking, grappling, aggression and Octagon control." It's like they don't hear the words "effective" or "aggression".

Yeah, really. After every close fight there are Sunday morning judges armed with FightMetric stats trying to prove a robbery. Strike numbers don't mean anything without the context of power ("significant strikes" is a wide and pretty pointless term) and the flow of the fight.

Macattk15

Dana wasn't wrong. Dana runs a business. You can't just take "time off" when YOU want to ... well barring vacation time etc.

If Georges has something serious going on ... he needs to have it diagnosed by someone and then take the leave ... and vacate the title in the process.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How does him refusing to allow reporters to ask GSP how soon he thinks he'll fight again mean he's a monopolist?

That's because he didn't GSP to cement his "no not any time soon" comments. Pretty obvious.

That's because he didn't GSP to cement his "no not any time soon" comments. Pretty obvious.

He just said he didn't know. What makes you think he'd have said more?

To the question of if GSP can give any insight on whether or not he meant retirement or a long break he said
GSP said:
"Not right now.... I just came out of a freaking war. The guy hit like a truck, you know. My brain got bashed left and right inside my skull, so I just need to think, see what's going to happen. I get very emotional. Anyway, I'm going to have a talk with the guys and see what's going to happen."

Reporter pushed for more clarification asking "Is there any chance at all this is the last time we'll ever see you?"

GSP said:
I don't know.. Listen, like I said I need to think, there's stuff going on in my life. I need to make a point in my life okay. This is my personal life. I can not speak to you about this. You're a reporter, I know your job is to make things public (but) I have a personal life I keep personal...

Then a reporter asks "Georges is this an extension of what you've talked about to some of us about the way you obsess over an opponent. That it just is so much that you just need a break?"

And that's when Dana steps in and says don't answer that question. Because the line of questioning was turning to pry on what GSP had already stated 3 seperate times was apart of his personal life that he doesn't want to talk about. Then ANOTHER reporter tries to rephrase the question in French to get it past Dana and Dana interrupts GSP to reiterate that the question is out of bounds.

Seriously watch it again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OL9KQjL05M&feature=share&t=41m17s

Dana only stepped in to keep the reporters from dogging GSP for a definitive answer to retirement and for specifics on his personal problems when GSP didn't want to give an answer yet. The man said he has to think about it and he wants to keep his personal life personal MULTIPLE TIMES.

Maybe all GSP needs to do is heal up and talk to his people and then he decides he wants to continue fighting. Then what does he look like calling out retirement like that and then coming back? Meanwhile if he talks to his people and decides later he wants to reitre, he still can and there's no conflict. It's not as if Dana is locking in dates for the rematch immediately after the Presser.

Faux.

Into

The scoring system is the culprit, its shit, in UFC you have to murder someone in the octagon to get a 10-8 for the round. It rarely happens, its 10-9 for the guy who "wins", regardless if its by one takedown, a few jabs or a complete Jean Claude Van Damme style beatdown.

This means i can beat the living shit out of you for 2 rounds, pummel you so hard your grandma can feel it, but if you slightly nudge the other 3 rounds by a few strikes or one takedown. You still "win" the fight.

MMA nerds and the enthusiasts can justify this fight, people on sherdog forums etc. but the average UFC viewer cannot, they dont care about this scoring system, or what counts for what, or whether UFC are responsible for the refs or judges, they are casuals, they dont give a shit.

A crappy finish is just that, a crappy finish. And its probably why Dana White was pissed, he fully knows his own scoring system well and probably knows why GSP scored higher deep down, but Dana White is a promoter first, a "MMA sports dude" second.

I was at a sports bar and people were fucking livid, despite mostly being pro GSP, casuals love GSP because UFC tells them he is awesome and he is good looking superhero dude from Canada. And yet they were unhappy, throwing all sorts of accusations that UFC was corrupt, that it was no better than boxing and its various scandals. They dont understand the system fully, they dont understand that UFC does not appoint the judges, all they see is a shitty finish to a fight and Dana knows this.

This is not the first time you have seen a finish like this, we get them quite often, and its sure as fuck not the last time. They wont change the scoring system.

Everyone technically did their job, the judges scored the fight probably right, depending on ones look on the first round. The system however is broken, it does not function well to give one a proper idea of how a fight went and who really won.

Dana didn't set the rules. They're the Unified Rules of MMA that the NSAC operates with. He'd change them if he could. And even MMA enthusiasts and fighters think Hendricks won that fight.

WARCOCK

Banned
Throwing this out there, might be absurd but dude sounds really scared in that after show, I CANT SLEEP, IM GOING CRAZY!!!... beyond pure cowardice maybe had a talk with his neurologist and early signs of CTE/damage? Conspiracyzz!!?

muddream

Banned
The scoring system is the culprit, its shit, in UFC you have to murder someone in the octagon to get a 10-8 for the round. It rarely happens, its 10-9 for the guy who "wins", regardless if its by one takedown, a few jabs or a complete Jean Claude Van Damme style beatdown.

This means i can beat the living shit out of you for 2 rounds, pummel you so hard your grandma can feel it, but if you slightly nudge the other 3 rounds by a few strikes or one takedown. You still "win" the fight.

MMA nerds and the enthusiasts can justify this fight, people on sherdog forums etc. but the average UFC viewer cannot, they dont care about this scoring system, or what counts for what, or whether UFC are responsible for the refs or judges, they are casuals, they dont give a shit.

A crappy finish is just that, a crappy finish. And its probably why Dana White was pissed, he fully knows his own scoring system well and probably knows why GSP scored higher deep down, but Dana White is a promoter first, a "MMA sports dude" second.

I was at a sports bar and people were fucking livid, despite mostly being pro GSP, casuals love GSP because UFC tells them he is awesome and he is good looking superhero dude from Canada. And yet they were unhappy, throwing all sorts of accusations that UFC was corrupt, that it was no better than boxing and its various scandals. They dont understand the system fully, they dont understand that UFC does not appoint the judges, all they see is a shitty finish to a fight and Dana knows this.

This is not the first time you have seen a finish like this, we get them quite often, and its sure as fuck not the last time. They wont change the scoring system.

Everyone technically did their job, the judges scored the fight probably right, depending on ones look on the first round. The system however is broken, it does not function well to give one a proper idea of how a fight went and who really won.

The 10-point-must system is retarded for MMA, but it's not the culprit for this mess. There are fights like Jones-Gustaffson where the guy who loses the war wins on a round by round basis, but there's no way you can score 3 rounds for GSP in this fight unless you don't understand MMA or scoring criteria.

1. Effective Striking (Hendricks)
2. Effective Grappling (Draw)
3. Aggression (Hendricks)
4. Octagon Control (Hendricks)

GSP wasn't getting the better of Hendricks at any point in that round, it's not even close. It's a single question mark kick vs countless uppercuts, elbows and a knee to the face in terms of effective strikes.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I personally don't see anything wrong with the 10-point system that would be accurately addressed by a replacement system. The only way to fix the current system is to get judges who actually know how the sport actually works and to ensure there's no "conflicts of interest" between the judges, fighters or elements of the gambling community.

Personally though: I would get rid of decisions. If no-one can finish the fight then it's a draw by default. If Manchester United are playing Chelsea and no-one scores, they don't ask the referees/linesmen who they think had better plays, shots and "field control." It would completely destroy the modern aspects of the sport though. That and I get the impression that American viewers don't like the concept of a "draw/tie game." So whatever. Just get better judges. And whatever you do, don't think that making it a 100-point system or using decimal points would be a better system, as it's the most retarded idea I've ever heard.

GSP should just retire and call it a career. He looked terrible on Saturday night. He looked smaller and and hes lost his explosiveness. Even in the Diaz fight he gassed and struggled to get Nick FN Diaz down. He also got lit up on the feet a few times.

They should just set up a tourney with Hendricks, Lawler, Condit, Shields, Lombard, Wooley and Mia

shuri

Banned
http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/18/georges-st-pierre-pregnancy-illness-derail-ufc-fighter/?adid=tmzsports

Georges St-Pierre will take a break from the UFC to handle 2 major personal crises -- his father is dying and he got a woman pregnant and doesn't want her to have the baby ... TMZ Sports has learned.

GSP repeatedly made cryptic remarks after his controversial win Saturday over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 -- telling Joe Rogan he needed to step away from the sport to deal with personal issues.

Now, sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ Sports ... Georges' dad is dying and it's derailed him.

And there's this ... GSP recently learned he knocked up a woman -- and he doesn't want to have a baby with her but she insists on keeping it.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/18/georges-st-pierre-pregnancy-illness-derail-ufc-fighter/#ixzz2l1PVMXYa
oh shit. Poor GSP if it's true :(

Heel

The 10-point-must system is retarded for MMA, but it's not the culprit for this mess. There are fights like Jones-Gustaffson where the guy who loses the war wins on a round by round basis, but there's no way you can score 3 rounds for GSP in this fight unless you don't understand MMA or scoring criteria.

1. Effective Striking (Hendricks)
2. Effective Grappling (Draw)
3. Aggression (Hendricks)
4. Octagon Control (Hendricks)

GSP wasn't getting the better of Hendricks at any point in that round, it's not even close. It's a single question mark kick vs countless uppercuts, elbows and a knee to the face in terms of effective strikes.

Agreed. I'd say a large majority of bad decisions come down to incompetent judging, not the scoring criteria.

VASPER

Banned
I want to see GSP to vacate the belt deal with his head issues and comeback through the ranks in a year or two. I really don't think he won that Hendrix fight and i think he needs to vacate and let some new blood flow through the WW division.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I personally don't see anything wrong with the 10-point system that would be accurately addressed by a replacement system. The only way to fix the current system is to get judges who actually know how the sport actually works and to ensure there's no "conflicts of interest" between the judges, fighters or elements of the gambling community.

Personally though: I would get rid of decisions. If no-one can finish the fight then it's a draw by default. If Manchester United are playing Chelsea and no-one scores, they don't ask the referees/linesmen who they think had better plays, shots and "field control." It would completely destroy the modern aspects of the sport though. That and I get the impression that American viewers don't like the concept of a "draw/tie game." So whatever. Just get better judges. And whatever you do, don't think that making it a 100-point system or using decimal points would be a better system, as it's the most retarded idea I've ever heard.

You get rid of decisions and you will end up with very different fights, probably more submissions/takedowns. If you add a round to make up for it, then you possibly end up with more fights stopped by doctors.

DKehoe

It's worth pointing out that although Dana was tearing into the Nevada commission for the poor judging the UFC uses a lot of those same judges for events outside of the US where they can pick their own judges. Sal D'Amato scored the fight for GSP and UFC use him a lot.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
St-Pierre, Hendricks, Woodley and Cerrone earned $50,000 post-fight bonuses for their work.

Main Card (Pay-per-view)
Georges St-Pierre ($400,000 + no win bonus = $400,000) def. Johny Hendricks ($50,000)
Rashad Evans ($125,000 + $125,000 = $250,000) def. Chael Sonnen ($100,000)
Robbie Lawler ($83,000 + $83,000 = $166,000) def. Rory MacDonald ($50,000)
Tyron Woodley ($52,000 + $52,000 = $104,000) def. Josh Koscheck ($78,000)
Ali Bagautinov ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Tim Elliott ($12,000)

Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1)
Donald Cerrone ($48,000 +$48,000 = $96,000) def. Evan Dunham ($25,000)
Thales Leites ($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def. Ed Herman ($40,000)
Rick Story ($27,000 + $27,000 = $54,000) def. Brian Ebersole ($18,000)
Erik Perez ($18,000 + $18,000 = $36,000) def. Edwin Figueroa ($12,000)

Preliminary Card (YouTube)
Jason High ($15,000 + $15,000 = $30,000) def. Anthony Lapsley ($8,000)
Sergio Pettis ($8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000) def. Will Campuzano ($10,000)
Gian Villante ($19,000 + $19,000 = $38,000) def. Cody Donovan ($8,000)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hendricks appears to be a potential sociopath, so I think he will beat GSP.

kidding, but his "I want to kill him" comment was dumb

I don't think this was posted yet. Dana White says GSP on track for Hendricks rematch

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ufc-st-pierre-hendricks-rematch-20131118,0,281520.story#axzz2l4D9anat

We'll see if getting beat up was enough to get GSP focused and hungry enough to come back and make up for what happened or if Hendricks really is just better than him

Good to see Dana was able to bully a mentally fragile GSP into a rematch. Cause, you know, he owes it to the UFC or something. You should be proud, Dana.

Good to see Dana was able to bully a mentally fragile GSP into a rematch. Cause, you know, he owes it to the UFC or something. You should be proud, Dana.
"Your dad would want to see you silence the fucking controversy over this win before he dies, Georges. And you're gonna need all the fucking money you can get with a fucking bastard kid on the way."

Ensirius

"Your dad would want to see you silence the fucking controversy over this win before he dies, Georges. And you're gonna need all the fucking money you can get with a fucking bastard kid on the way."

Just reading this makes my blood boil. Stahp.

Hendricks was robbed, sure, but was that GSP's fault?

PS: I was rooting for Hendricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom