• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 167 |OT| The Decisioning of Johnny Hendricks by the Coward GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.
He sounds cool as hell. Me and my friends talk about aliens and weird shit all the time. Probably doesn't sounds like we are the most sane human beings when we are hanging out. Y'all are too judgmental.

GSP doesn't think its cool though. It's clearly freaking him out and making him stressed.

Heel

GSP is a guy who trains year round, and dedicates himself to improving every day for years. Imagine being that kind of person and getting bested. That has to be extremely deflating, and a very clear sign that it's time to walk away. Too bad the judges didn't see that he lost. The torch had been passed.

MrHicks

Banned
joe rogan should hook him up with some alphabrain
+ some gorilla kettle bells to stay in shape
+ a shitton of bulletproof coffee
+ get him out of jail for robbery with advice from legalzoom.com

ZoddGutts

GSP is shook because he's been beaten. Similar shit happened to Silva when he got knocked out. Talking about being done and handling his private life. It's what happens when a fighter believes his own hype to the extent that it shatters his world to know he lost.

The difference is Silva got KO'd and GSP got the gift decision.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprise if it's really that.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
He sounds cool as hell. Me and my friends talk about aliens and weird shit all the time. Probably doesn't sounds like we are the most sane human beings when we are hanging out. Y'all are too judgmental.

True indeed.

I think GSP and Joe Rogan would probably have some of the best chats, im sure after the podcast the two of them became friends or atleast shared a quite beer with like minded people.

After this fight Joe Rogan should give GSP some DMT.

parasight

GSP is shook because he's been beaten. Similar shit happened to Silva when he got knocked out. Talking about being done and handling his private life. It's what happens when a fighter believes his own hype to the extent that it shatters his world to know he lost.

The difference is Silva got KO'd and GSP got the gift decision.

Uh, no. This announcement was teased before the fight numerous times. Had he lost, won decisively or this, the announcement would have been the same.

Read Ariel's tweets leading up to it. Even Greg Jackson didn't corner him for this fight specifically so GSPs mentor could be there.

This has been a long time coming for GSP. It didn't just happen because he "lost"

How so? Even for the other theme that developing in the thread about GSP believing in Aliens or whatever.. GSP himself says it's been happening since he was a kid. So why is it now becoming an issue and hasn't been during the rest of his career?

Could he be overworked? Sure. But that doesn't mean a mental breakdown. Could he have some damage and maybe isn't speaking at the best moment mentally? Also a possibility.

Occams Razor though. The reality is even in his previous close fights, he's won pretty decisively. His last loss was a flash ko, how many years ago? The dude believed he was unstoppable. And he's now had that belief shattered. He was out fought on the feet and overpowered the vast majority of the fight in the grappling and wrestling. He's doubting the hell out of himself right now.

Uh, no. This announcement was teased before the fight numerous times. Had he lost, won decisively or this, the announcement would have been the same.

No, it was rumored. The strongest rumor was from a former trainer who's been close to him for years saying his advice to GSP was to retire after winning this fight and he thought GSP would listen because they're so close.

But neither that trainer nor GSP thought he'd lose this fight. Don't get your signals twisted.

Madness

GSP hasn't had that eye of the tiger for a long time. You could see it during his fights with Diaz, Condit. He'd do enough to win, that's about it, today Hendricks neutralized a lot of his game. Don't go by the bruises on his face alone. This wasn't a blowout Hendricks win. I, and most others had it 3-2 Hendricks.

If GSP is done, he still went out as one of the best. He's got the cash, the Rushfit fitness, the Under Armour and sponsorship deals etc. No reason to keep going out and losing a little each time against hungrier guys.

Edit: GSP has been dominant sure, he's always had the takedown, and his smothering and ground and pound, but guys like Diaz have said he doesn't have power behind his strikes.

Plus look at him from the Condit fight. He bruises and bloodies easily.

405_georges_st-pierre.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Heel

I think the fight influenced his decision.

"I can't tell you," St-Pierre told FOX Sports' Ariel Helwani when asked point blank if he was going to retire. "Listen, I don't know when I'm going to retire. It could be tomorrow, could be in one week, it could be in 10 years, could be in five years, I don't know. I take one fight at a time, but I love what I do right now.

"I plan my next fight. I don't plan my retirement yet."

GSP is a guy who trains year round, and dedicates himself to improving every day for years. Imagine being that kind of person and getting bested. That has to be extremely deflating, and a very clear sign that it's time to walk away. Too bad the judges didn't see that he lost. The torch had been passed.
Exactly. This is not some bullshit aout GSP being abducted. Same conspiracy bullshit happened when Anderson lost. Like when they analyzed the look he would give the camera in one of his prefight interviews and his Anderson Kmows t shirt. Its faaaccckiiinnggg bollshit.

mr2t

Banned
UvrLVfD.jpg

In fact he is apparently scared of alot of shit.....probably thinks the world is about to end, or that there are aliens on the planet right now and he is paranoid about shit.

And he has like visions/hallucinations.

Best way to get a taste of his "trippy-ness" is watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRxhphdt8F4

Some sad shit!

Maybe when Joe Rogan was talking about how the brain shuts off during sleep and everyone is afraid of dying but no one is afraid of falling asleep it really got to GSP lol.

I feel sad for him. He could have easily walked away on a loss and maintained the respect of fans of the sport. Now they will attribute his "retirement" to him being scared of Hendricks. We all know how this ends. Rematch, brutal ko. I don't want to see it. I seriously think the Condit fight and Hendricks fight really rattled his brain. Hang em up. Think about your health. Hopefully the hate will subside eventually and people will remember him as the great fighter he is. He definitely lost that fight though.

How so? Even for the other theme that developing in the thread about GSP believing in Aliens or whatever.. GSP himself says it's been happening since he was a kid. So why is it now becoming an issue and hasn't been during the rest of his career?

Could he be overworked? Sure. But that doesn't mean a mental breakdown. Could he have some damage and maybe isn't speaking at the best moment mentally? Also a possibility.

Occams Razor though. The reality is even in his previous close fights, he's won pretty decisively. His last loss was a flash ko, how many years ago? The dude believed he was unstoppable. And he's now had that belief shattered. He was out fought on the feet and overpowered the vast majority of the fight in the grappling and wrestling. He's doubting the hell out of himself right now.

No, it was rumored. The strongest rumor was from a former trainer who's been close to him for years saying his advice to GSP was to retire after winning this fight and he thought GSP would listen because they're so close.

But neither that trainer nor GSP thought he'd lose this fight. Don't get your signals twisted.

You can see it in the way he talks. He's definitely going through some rough stuff.

He doesn't think that he is this unstoppable guy who can't be beaten. Every fight he says the guy is stronger or faster or whatever the case as opposed to the way Hendricks talks. He's a humble guy. He's just lost that edge, that hunger. I think all that time off got to him and after returning he just couldn't handle it. I think the fight had an influence for sure but had he beat Hendricks in the first round I think we'd still be talking about him stopping. I could be completely wrong though. I have no idea what's going on in his head

Yeah, GSP does seem out of it. Just watching his countdown and such I think reveals that a bit. It's cool dude, retire. You've got bank. Yeah your legacy has been shat on for being an athlete, and you just got worked a bit. It's time to clear your head and be a family man.

go-home-and-be-a-family-man.png

Lazyslob

Banned
I feel sad for him. He could have easily walked away on a loss and maintained the respect of fans of the sport. Now they will attribute his "retirement" to him being scared of Kendrick. We all know how this ends. Rematch, brutal ko. I don't want to see it. I seriously think the Condit fight and Kendrick fight really rattled his brain. Hang em up. Think about your health. Hopefully the hate will subside eventually and people will remember him as the great fighter he is. He definitely lost that fight though.

Lol. Oh, okay bro.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
joe rogan should hook him up with some alphabrain
+ some gorilla kettle bells to stay in shape
+ a shitton of bulletproof coffee
+ get him out of jail for robbery with advice from legalzoom.com

Don't forget the fleshlight!

Kak.efes

Hendricks doesn't put asses in the seats, people. He doesn't sell pay-per-views. There was no way GSP was losing a decision to someone who's got as 'bout as much charisma as a fucking turnip in Hendricks.

You can see it in the way he talks. He's definitely going through some rough stuff.

He doesn't think that he is this unstoppable guy who can't be beaten. Every fight he says the guy is stronger or faster or whatever the case as opposed to the way Hendricks talks. He's a humble guy. He's just lost that edge, that hunger. I think all that time off got to him and after returning he just couldn't handle it. I think the fight had an influence for sure but had he beat Hendricks in the first round I think we'd still be talking about him stopping. I could be completely wrong though. I have no idea what's going on in his head

He really did think he was unstoppable. Condit was his biggest test before this and he won that fight decisively. He clearly thought his wrestling would be superior here and was overpowered. Hendricks is the first guy who he couldn't keep on the ground and have his way with in so long I can't even remember.

Had he lost, he would've retired. He'd have been sure he was done. It would've been similar to the speech we heard tonight but more certain. Had he won, maybe he retires or maybe he doesn't. But if he did retire, he'd have done so much more positively. Convinced he'd cemented his legacy. But being gifted this win after getting tooled shook him up. That's why he almost did it, then walked away, then came back when beckoned.

Don't confuse GSP's nice guy attitude for how he really is. He's a competitive ass dude. You don't get to that level by being a passive ass mister nice guy. Dudes at that height are mean whether they talk that way to the press or not. I recall a video awhile back where he talked a bit of shit after beating someone. Hughes or Penn maybe? Said something like "They thought they could win those motherfuckers." That might not be 100% accurate but it was something like that. He's not a zen Buddhist. He's a fighter.

Hendricks doesn't put asses in the seats, people. He doesn't sell pay-per-views. There was no way GSP was losing a decision to someone who's got as 'bout as much charisma as a fucking turnip in Hendricks.

GSP is a draw, there's no doubt. But let's not sell Hendricks short. He knocks dudes out more often than not and people LOVE a knockout artist. Hendricks could easily have earned solid draws through the dynamite in his hands.

ElyrionX

Yeah, it's pretty clear that GSP knows he lost that fight. Kind of sorry to see him in that state. And like others have pointed out, he can't just retire now because people will claim that he's afraid of the rematch though if he's willing to admit that he was gifted the win and that he was beat and retire on that, I don't see how people will think any lesser of him.

The state commission and judges don't care about what makes money for the UFC. People have this false idea that the UFC employs the judges or something. The judges don't care about what puts asses in seats, they are simply incompetent.

GSP is getting way to much hate, IMO. He's always been a bit of a mental midget it seems, but he lives a life, gets paid and works a job that most, if not no one , on this forum can comprehend. Statistically, GSP won, but from a "complete fight" perspective, Hendricks whooped his ass. It's not even so much an issue with judging IMO - though, obviously still and issue. It lies more along the lines of how the system works. The scoring system needs to be reevaluated on a fundamental level, and its needed to be for quite some time.

Dana went from praising him at pre fight events, to raging, then back to protecting him from journalists asking him dumb fuck questions - typical Dana behavior, no news there. This doesn't fall on GSP, though. And he never stated right out that he wants to retire, en'full, just take a prolonged break - at least that's how it came across to me. GSP is a stand up guy who's been one of the faces of the UFC for a long, long time at the highest level. he always produces, is always a company man. Things will be handled appropriately.

parasight

I think the fight influenced his decision.

I do too. But I think it influenced his decision in taking a break as opposed to retiring straight out. It looks really bad on him to announce retirement after a decision like that. So he probably hesitated and switched it to this weird semi-retirement thing. That's why it was so awkward. He almost didn't even say it when Joe didn't give him the mic.

Tabris

You can blame GSP all you want, but if Hendriks was truly champion material, he should have been able to takeout GSP. He didn't. GSP forever champ. Cry yourselves a river.

Dr.Acula

Banned

GSP sells because he's a champ, not because he's a good personality, or because he's got a hard hand, or brutal submissions.

Hendricks was great on the mic today, and he strikes hard. If their positions and results were reversed, people would be complaining that the great champ Hendricks had to beat up some can named GSP.

Kak.efes

GSP is a draw, there's no doubt. But let's not sell Hendricks short. He knocks dudes out more often than not and people LOVE a knockout artist. Hendricks could easily have earned solid draws through the dynamite in his hands.

He's more than a draw, he's a spectacle. He elevates the sport. I'm not even what you'd call an MMA enthusiast, but I'll tune in for the occasional GSP fight because I like the guy.

Madness

He really did think he was unstoppable. Condit was his biggest test before this and he won that fight decisively. He clearly thought his wrestling would be superior here and was overpowered. Hendricks is the first guy who he couldn't keep on the ground and have his way with in so long I can't even remember.

405_georges_st-pierre.0_standard_352.0.jpg

This was GSP after the Condit fight. Anyone who's seen him fight has seen that he no longer has the hunger he did when he came back from the Serra knockout. His striking isn't as dominant, he takes fewer chances with his kicks, he tries to go for the takedown, some ground and pound and smothering.

GSP face shouldn't be a good indicator of the fight with Hendricks. He caught some bad elbows while in that takedown clinch, and some on the ground. Otherwise, he was peppering Hendricks with his jab quite well. But Nick Diaz said it too, there wasn't any power behind GSP punches. Who knows what problems he's having. Maybe he wakes up and sees his tens of millions of dollars and wonders why he needs to go out and risk getting knocked out to guys younger than him.

411_gsp.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Here was GSP after the Diaz fight, as you can see, he's starting to take more punishment than ever before.

Tabris

GSP sells because he's a champ, not because he's a good personality, or because he's got a hard hand, or brutal submissions.

Hendricks was great on the mic today, and he strikes hard. If their positions and results were reversed, people would be complaining that the great champ Hendricks had to beat up some can named GSP.

Not a good personality? GSP is one of the most respectful, nicest, charismatic fighters out there. He is iconic.

EDIT - Love the name btw. My favourite dr.acula scene - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBOEbxG5uTc

He's more than a draw, he's a spectacle. He elevates the sport. I'm not even what you'd call an MMA enthusiast, but I'll tune in for the occasional GSP fight because I like the guy.

He doesn't elevate the sport at all though he may elevate Zuffa's earnings. I can't speak as to you liking the guy. If you do, you do. But I can say that a big reason people even know about him is because of his dominance. Winning a lot tends to garner attention and winners tend to get fans.

This was GSP after the Condit fight. Anyone who's seen him fight has seen that he no longer has the hunger he did when he came back from the Serra knockout. His striking isn't as dominant, he takes fewer chances with his kicks, he tries to go for the takedown, some ground and pound and smothering.

GSP face shouldn't be a good indicator of the fight with Hendricks. He caught some bad elbows while in that takedown clinch, and some on the ground. Otherwise, he was peppering Hendricks with his jab quite well. But Nick Diaz said it too, there wasn't any power behind GSP punches. Who knows what problems he's having. Maybe he wakes up and sees his tens of millions of dollars and wonders why he needs to go out and risk getting knocked out to guys younger than him.

Here was GSP after the Diaz fight, as you can see, he's starting to take more punishment than ever before.

I'm really not sure of what your point is because you kind of meander a bit. I watched GSP v. Condit and he won the fight. I watched GSP v. Hendricks and he lost. Damage to the face doesn't play into this. He walked away from that Condit fight feeling, within his heart that it was the right decision. Not so much here.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Not a good personality? GSP is one of the most respectful, nicest, charismatic fighters out there. He is iconic.

He has a good personality, he's not a good personality. GSP seems like he'd be hanging out with Tim Duncan and Phil Mickelson. Jon Jones, Quinton Jackson, those guys are personalities.

EDIT - Love the name btw. My favourite dr.acula scene - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBOEbxG5uTc

I got my nick from the scene in "Ed Wood" where Johnny Depp is rattling off movie pitches.

Madness

I'm really not sure of what your point is because you kind of meander a bit. I watched GSP v. Condit and he won the fight. I watched GSP v. Hendricks and he lost. Damage to the face doesn't play into this. He walked away from that Condit fight feeling, within his heart that it was the right decision. Not so much here.

My point being, you're making all these speculative posts as if you can read GSP's mind and saying that he won Condit decisively, you can see it in GSP eyes, or how he walked away feeling in his heart etc.

Like it serves no purpose because you don't know what he was feeling... Every fighter always thinks they win until they don't. Alexander Gustaffsson thought he won too, until he didn't, some scored the fight for him over Bones.

I am rambling now, but I'll say, I thought Hendricks won, but I'm not going to say, GSP is feeling so and so, or that he knows he lost, etc. This wasn't a blowout Hendricks win, most have the fight 3-2 Hendricks.

My point being, you're making all these speculative posts as if you can read GSP's mind and saying that he won Condit decisively, you can see it in GSP eyes, or how he walked away feeling in his heart etc.

Like it serves no purpose because you don't know what he was feeling... Every fighter always thinks they win until they don't. Alexander Gustaffsson thought he won too, until he didn't, some scored the fight for him over Bones.

I am rambling now, but I'll say, I thought Hendricks won, but I'm not going to say, GSP is feeling so and so, or that he knows he lost, etc. This wasn't a blowout Hendricks win, most have the fight 3-2 Hendricks.

Well of course. Every insight into anothers mind is speculative. Even if a fighter says they feel a certain way, that's not proof that they actually DO feel that way. But I bet if you watch the post-Condit presser and then rewatch this post fight presser, you'll see and hear a different attitude in GSP. Then compare this post fight interview and presser from GSP and compare them to Anderson Silva's. You'll see a marked resemblance.

It's funny though. Because what I'm suggesting is actually pretty normal. And a fighter can come back from that point. Others in the thread are straight up talking about GSP is having a mental breakdown which is particularly worse. It's pretty obvious that GSP knows he lost that fight. The rounds may have been 3-2 but at no point was GSP close to finishing, he didn't do any measurable damage, and he didn't even control Hendricks in any meaningful way. The nature of rounds makes the fight appear closer than it was. It's apart of the sport and I don't contend that. It's obvious though who the victor of the fight was and it wasn't who the judges picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom