• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Does the game have medals or stats ala UC1/2?
I can't seem to find anything of the sort in the menu and I kind of miss them...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Does the game have medals or stats ala UC1/2?
I can't seem to find anything of the sort in the menu and I kind of miss them...
There's nothing in the menus. :(
You still get trophies for certain amount of kills for each weapon but I miss all the stats.

Would you please use an avatar again? I miss this.

yQH9y.png

ugh, the "statue chess" puzzle is completely bumming me out =(

Probably because I just want to play/explore, not stop to do yet another dumb touch puzzle

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
There's nothing in the menus. :(
You still get trophies for certain amount of kills for each weapon but I miss all the stats.

Would you please use an avatar again? I miss this.

yQH9y.png

Oh hey, I don't feel so nekkid anymore!
Thank you! :)

Raine

Thanks Raine, this is what I was looking for earlier and confirms my suspicions. Really a shame too, it destroys the fun factor of the gunplay unless you decide to rely on the gyro--which I'm not particularly fond of. Being the premier launch title, it also reflects badly on the Vita in general as a lot of people will blame the physical hardware before the software. Someone needs to get Digital Foundry on the case measuring the OS and several of the games.

Yeah I tried the gyro approach and I just can't do it. Too lazy for that.

It seems like something that can be patched but I don't know if/how it can get the attention it deserves

Been playing this the last few days and I love it!! I am having more fun then I did with U3! I am around chapter 9 and The touch stuff hasn't bothered me at all.

Just finished the game.

Pretty damn awesome to be able to play an Uncharted game and have that full experience on a handheld. Beautiful locations, funny dialogue, intriguing story, excellent score, and fun gameplay.
Overall, I would give this a 8.5/10 and as far as the chart series rankings, I would rank it better than the first Uncharted, but not as good as 2&3.

Kudos to Bend Studios for nailing it on its head.

It's the input lag. It's not the sticks or anything like that. It really feels like a chore to shoot enemies.
If you guys can deal with it, that's great. For me, it's hurting an otherwise enjoyable experience. :\

I noticed it too and it was bothersome. I got used to it after awhile though, but noticed it again after playing the Unit 13 demo. The aiming in general is a bit wonky, but if it weren't for the well-implemented gyro aiming, I would not be praising the gunplay. I didn't/couldn't even use the sticks for accuracy/headshots.

tzare

Really wish this game had multiplayer :(

yes, i hope the sequel will include this.

I have no time to play because of my 6 month twins( i have Rayman from launch day and still haven't opened it yet :( ), still on chapter 3, but i am looooooooving this game. it is just awesome that i am playing this on my bed and not my tv. I am also impressed with gyro aiming. It feels so precise.

spats

Finished this yesterday. Extremely happy with the whole package. Visuals were one of the biggest surprises. The demo gave a reasonably bad impression and the screens posted here really don't do the game any justice. A genuinely beautiful game.

An another thing I really appreciated was that Bend went out of their way to make the collectible stuff engaging. I'd almost say there's too much of it, but since they actually saw effort to make cool choices in the level design by adding branching paths and so many nooks and crannies that the gameplay actually felt like adventuring sometimes they're forgiven. :p

I liked the story, especially towards the latter half, but some of the writing felt a little wooden compared to Amy Hennig's work. Despite that, I found the characters interesting, the banter between
Nate and Sully
was fun as ever. I bet this game broke some sort of record on the amount of 'that's what she said' jokes.

Hopefully this game has long legs and Bend is rewarded for their hard work. They're a top tier studio and want to see them continuing to work on stuff of this caliber.

tzare

The demo gave a reasonably bad impression and the screens posted here really don't do the game any justice. A genuinely beautiful game.

Agree, same happened with a lot of demos for sony games, including original Uncharted for PS3. they just release bad demos :(

Also seeing it in motion is just awesome, despite being subresolution.

The demo should have been the intro level that is already in the game. It has climbing, stealth, real shooting (not sniper-only) and it even ends in a cliffhanger.

But they wanted to showoff the fire effects and the touch-based sniping, and they ended with a very crappy demo.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
So, I've heard this is more in line with Drake's Fortune than 2 or 3. Is this just because it is seen as lower quality, just as 1 is? Or is it to do with the content of the game?

Drake's Fortune is the only Uncharted that I enjoyed throughout, so I was curious as to whether this might be good for me?

So, I've heard this is more in line with Drake's Fortune than 2 or 3. Is this just because it is seen as lower quality, just as 1 is? Or is it to do with the content of the game?

In terms of design, is similar to 2-3, having a more integrated shooting-platform parts, and better stealth.

But in content is more similar to 1 because it lacks the variety of locations and wow-moments of 2 and 3. There isn't anything like the train raid of 2 or airplane level of 3.

Raonak

Banned

Drake's Fortune is the only Uncharted that I enjoyed throughout, so I was curious as to whether this might be good for me?

Nah, it's because Like U1, it's set in mostly foresty areas, and It lacks the globetrotting that U2/3 have, and- the main reason; it doesn't really have huge setpieces.

SRTtoZ

I wish this game had Multiplayer, now that I beat it I'm kind of done with it but I want to keep playing :( it sucks so much. Please give us MP in the next version!!!

f@luS

More than a member.
So sad that i finished it :(

It was my daily pleasure... One hour of uncharted every day for 2 weeks

Amazing game. Truly

Heh I got to that point and gave it to the misses, she loves a puzzle.

I got past the puzzle. It just felt like work though and wasnt' fun.

My thoughts on Golden Abyss it's a gorgeous launch title with fantastic voice acting and a pretty engaging story. Unfortunately it has some real bad pacing issues

One moment I wanna play the hell out of it, the next I don't even wanna bother because I don't know if I'm gonna be faced with yet another damn rubby bit or marginal puzzle that the game explains to me anyway and ruins the momentum of what came before it (hold the vita up to the light, chess puzzle, etc.)
More exploration and narrative (especially like Dante's character), less excuses to use the Vita's features ya know?

Actual shooting is merely servicable, especially with Unit 13's existance.

tzare

i also think puzzles are a bit too often and most just feel forced. I do hate the camera photos ones. i have to repeat them a lot of times , get stuck at 95% most of the time :(
It just does not fit the game imo, because i like Uncharted for its action and 'scripted' structure and these exploration/puzzle things just kill the pace.
Maybe they can do a spin-off where exploration and puzzles matter, but this ain't no rpg or zelda.

The 'Uncharted' part of the game is awesome. Chapter 7 now. Can't wait to play more.

I'm so hoping this game gets an upgrade to make it run native resolution and some AA. Technically it should be possible without a performance penalty.

I want a reason to replay this game on crushing.

Sintoid

I cant get the black market to work for me. How does it work?

I think it works like this:

You choose wich kind of bounty you want to trade (Coins, Cards etc...) and via Near you scan your friends and trade the goodies you have with the one you still not have (and your friend does)

What I don't exactly understand is the precise procedure, sometimes I recieve some offer trades directly via Near and when I go to black market the offer seems to be vanished...

SmokyDave

I am really struggling to 'connect' with this game. Played chapters 1-9 in two sittings, put it down for a week and then did chapters 10-15 last night. It's doing nothing for me. I can see it's a polished and accomplished Uncharted game, I can't see where it's doing anything wrong at all, but it just isn't doing it for me. I'm literally playing it through for the sake of it and I'm kinda looking forward to deleting it to free up some space.

Really weird feelings about this game at the moment. I loved the first two Uncharted games, some of the best entertainment I've had this gen. Maybe I'm just burnt out on the franchise.

tzare

I remember when people complained about Uncharted 1 because of the lack of complicated puzzles.

people complain a lot in forums. And Uncharted series are the perfect spot: no puzzles or simple ones, scripted, no exploration and bla bla bla.

The game is what it is. An action game. Too much exploration , free roaming, without nothing happening or puzzles just make it a different game, kills the pace imo. Just because he is an 'explorer' doesn't mean the game must be a zelda or a skyrim clone. I never see people complain about that regarding Gears of War. I understand the Uncharted universe could fit other genres, but that's it.

I am really struggling to 'connect' with this game. Played chapters 1-9 in two sittings, put it down for a week and then did chapters 10-15 last night. It's doing nothing for me. I can see it's a polished and accomplished Uncharted game, I can't see where it's doing anything wrong at all, but it just isn't doing it for me. I'm literally playing it through for the sake of it and I'm kinda looking forward to deleting it to free up some space.

Heh, I recently had that with Rayman Origins. That always makes me question myself and wonder if I'm losing interest in the hobby.
Luckily, it eventually clicked with me. Too bad half the game was already over at that point, though.

i also think puzzles are a bit too often and most just feel forced. I do hate the camera photos ones. i have to repeat them a lot of times , get stuck at 95% most of the time :(
It just does not fit the game imo, because i like Uncharted for its action and 'scripted' structure and these exploration/puzzle things just kill the pace.
Maybe they can do a spin-off where exploration and puzzles matter, but this ain't no rpg or zelda.

The 'Uncharted' part of the game is awesome. Chapter 7 now. Can't wait to play more.

I really don't understand this complaint. You go to the place where you get prompted to take the picture, set the zoom that you are indicated, point in the general direction and you are set.

I am on my second playthrough and have taken most of the pictures and only once did I have to repeat one.

tzare

I really don't understand this complaint. You go to the place where you get prompted to take the picture, set the zoom that you are indicated, point in the general direction and you are set.

I am on my second playthrough and have taken most of the pictures and only once did I have to repeat one.

maybe is my lack of skill. But i get stuck at 95% quality for a while almost every time i have to do the photo thing.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Same for me and it was only because I had a dyslexic moment and read the target zoom backwards. After two tries I noticed my mistake and got it.

Massa

maybe is my lack of skill. But i get stuck at 95% quality for a while in almost every time i have to do the photo thing.

The trick is getting the right zoom level. You could take an otherwise identical looking picture and you still won't get 100% unless you're with the right zoom.

hertog

°°ToMmY°°;35977807 said:
Fished the game, really enjoyed it. I'll probably replay it sometime down the line...

I too really enjoyed this game, but I traded it in right after I finished it.
Only Uncharted game I've ever replayed was part 2, because I got such a fancy new LED-tv back then.

tzare

The trick is getting the right zoom level. You could take an otherwise identical looking picture and you still won't get 100% unless you're with the right zoom.

oh, so the clue is the zoom level then, sorry i misread previous posts too. i'll try that then when i play again.

I remember when people complained about Uncharted 1 because of the lack of complicated puzzles.

I certainly never complained about that

I still think Drake's Fortune is one of the best titles this gen. Everything I ever wanted in a Indy/pulp adventure game. Sequels only built upon that. UC1 is still my favorite, followed by UC2. Still haven't played 3.

Really weird feelings about this game at the moment. I loved the first two Uncharted games, some of the best entertainment I've had this gen. Maybe I'm just burnt out on the franchise.

This is precisely how I've feel playing it. I mean, I don't wanna sound like a spoiled ass, but man are my reactions throughout up n' down.

tzare

it is probably too many games in a relatively short period of time. Plus, my personal opinion is that the only thing Uncharted series can really improve on is plot. Lack of engaging plots, cliffhangers at the end of every game and that kind of approach makes the whole experience a little shallow

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
m8Trr.jpg

Running counter to the above, I am blown away. Playing Uncharted, my first ever PS3 game, on a portable is an absolutely surreal experience. Running from the shade into the light and seeing Drake dynamically lit alone was something of a "holy shit!" moment.

Only up to Chapter 2, and already enjoying myself a lot more than in Uncharted 3. A real good back to basics feel, even if the SYSTEM INNOVATION gumpf may drag after the initial novelty. But look ma, diagonal aiming straight outta the box!

dankir

Finished it on the weekend and posted my review if anybody is interested.

Great game but some of the touch screen stuff I could do without, like climbing in particular was just faster to do with button presses. But the aiming, artifact analysis and camera were really good uses of the Vita HW. Putting up the back camera near a light source to see through the parchment paper was genius.

Kind of wished it had some crazier set pieces though.

zoukka

Mirroring my feelings for Revelaitons my guess is that it's the curse of console-like "almost as good" type of game curse :b

Binabik15

I'm just a bit beyond the part you started at and man, this game is so awesome.

I STILL say that Drake's Fortune had the best melee system, I just got killed for not swiping the screen while fighting with a guy and getting shot at. In DF I could've brutal combo'd, hip shoot the other guy with the Deagle and continue to brutal combo the guy behind them. Best brawling in a shooter. Here I'm stuck in melee when the stupid fist sign pops up.

tzare

well it was me that was mistaken, i just kept trying to make the 'perfect photo' as close as possible to the b&w one. instead of just adjusting the zoom level. It wasn't lack of skill, but lack of being smart from me xD

Up to chapter 15, game is only improving. And really enjoyed chapters 11 and 12:regarding c.11, i can see other games or a PSN Uncharted spin-off platform/adventure game using a similar approach. As for 12, how did Bend do that first instead of ND? It was really cool, and water effect was really nice too.

Sintoid

Hello Gaf!

Are you having troubles with collecting all the Bounties in the game?
I do :(
Anyone have any suggestion? Wanna create a black market group to exchange the missing ones?

Let's arrange something!

Hello Gaf!

Are you having troubles with collecting all the Bounties in the game?
I do :(
Anyone have any suggestion? Wanna create a black market group to exchange the missing ones?

Let's arrange something!

Same here. Wait can we trade with people that aren't close to you in near?

Top Bottom