• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Research says there are ways to reduce racism. Calling people racist isn’t one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a long way to go when so many people would rather be driven by their emotions and seek revenge rather being practical and do what we need to do to get results.

The data is out there, we just need to use it.

When people ask you that "THEY treat us like animals so why should we treat them like humans" tell them because that's how you set a good example.

We have a long way to go when so many people would rather be driven by their emotions and seek revenge rather being practical and do what we need to do to get results.

The data is out there, we just need to use it.

When people ask you that "THEY treat us like animals so why should we treat them like humans" tell them because that's how you set a good example.

Bravo. Your insight and point of view has brought so much clarity to this issue.

I'll just tell this guy that thinks I'm inferior to him that we are both equal. Oh wait, it's like you didn't even read this post

I attended a predominantly white school that went from 7th to 12th, and I sat at a table with other kids. One kid, in particular, called me a nigger and said that he didn't understand why the word nigger was offensive to Black people. He also said that if he was Black he would be proud to be called a nigger. I sat at that table for 2 weeks trying to prove my humanity to this individual, told him that it hurt me, cried, tried to be his friend, and it did nothing. I did everything white people in this thread told me to do but got no results. I've had very similar encounters when I've dealt with racism and as cordial and as nice as I've been, they've never been convinced.

After two decades+ of personal experience with dealing with racism, I'm not going to coddle anyone who treats me as subhuman and I won't feel bad for using the label of racist for them. I won't.

White people really need to bare the burden for converting racists, not me as a Black person. If a person cannot recognize my humanity I will not show them any empathy. Black people literally led the civil rights era, and collectively have done more outreach than any white person in this thread suggesting that we open up a dialogue. We have been open and we have had hard conversations, and if you can't see that then you suffer from tunnel vision.

Why can't white people talk to other white people? Why am I responsible? Why should I tolerate being called nigger? I have depression and other issues that still leaks from the abuse I've faced. Where is my better place in this world? Why must I sacrifice myself for people who don't care about me?

When it comes to racial progress, I almost feel like people don't get it anymore. And a lot of white people, who say don't call others racist, don't even put in half of the effort I and others put in and they certainly don't live life as a Black person.

White people need to be held accountable for this environment and they need to talk to other white people about it, because I'm not doing it. And me abstain doesn't mean I don't want this world to be better, it means that I and others are weary.

Lime

To add to the discussion about white people engaging other white people (as Cyframe so perfectly pointed out), I feel it is difficult to act nice and not escalate the situation in the face of diet bigotry that denigrates friends and family (and people around the world), but I guess that's something I as a white person got to swallow when confronting it.

I.e. it's difficult to hear "Black Entertainment Television is the most racist thing ever" from a white male friend and then I calmly explain to him that all other TV is basically White Entertainment Television (of course more elaborately) and then the dude basically just disagrees vehemently. I didn't call him a racist at all, just tried to explain the nature of things completely independent of himself. Hopefully that just puts a seed in his mind, but I'm afraid of the next road bomb.

Same thing with casual homophobia ('faggot'), racism against Middle Eastern immigrants, defense of Reddit's racism & sexism, criticism of affirmative action, there's no difference between being a Black woman vs a White woman, and on and on. Like at some point it becomes hard to stomach this and continue to be nice while debating and asking questions about it. And that's not even addressing situations where I am the only one speaking up and five other people gang up on me or the amount of hours you have to debate this because people think they are being called sexists or racists or anything, just because of a soft push-back or question about the need to use hurtful language when talking to one another.

Of course my hardships absolutely pale in comparison to the ones actually facing this issue. My point is just that simple pushbacks and questions can result in very hard reactions, thereby confirming the fragility of people when addressing stuff like that.

Breads

Banned
Shocking news

People aren't born racist . Many are privilege here to be born in families and time where that aspect of racial discrimination is taught.

Calling people racist and shutting them off is being that high horse that thinks as if they as individuals are special beyond law of nature.

Be glad you were raised right and help others see it.

Obviously, I don't believe in free will. Bring change via talking and communicating. No one is born racist
We privalege now.

s'at right?

Shit.

Well.

My family/ home town has a lot of bigots, drugs, violence, rapists, and child molesters. Hell there's a bit of incest there too for some of them. Being bi (for a while I thought I was gay/ panicked) and an early athiest I was forced to seek out open minded people... who I eventually met on the internet internet (rest in peace amark) and through I found the strength to fight my uphill battle with the family and community while helping out others in my family that were in need. Sometimes in conversation. Sometimes with a plane ticket and a place to crash for a few months, or sometimes financially. Being Seventh Day Adventist islanders as well as having significant representation in the military which made way for nationalism and anti arab sentiments, on top of seeing themselves as superior to every other kind of hispanic, they have the distinction of literally being the most bigoted people I've ever had to deal with due to their views on the LGBT community. Beyond hating people with funny hats, barbaric versions of christianity (non SDA), and hell... hating themselves they are profoundly bigoted toward the LGBT community. Emphasis on the T. Just as recently as a few weeks ago I heard an uncle threatening to kill their kid if they turned out to be like Ms Jenner.

Then there's the whole living in Florida thing after having left my homeland. Not quite as bad as rural supreme but I think I can relate enough to not allow myself to consider upbringing/ location in the information age as a good enough excuse to handwave bigotry.

Again the assumption is that we're sitting pretty shouting from our ivory towers as if we've never tried to reason with the bigots. Just stop. We can both have empathy but also have no more love to give to the people who hate us, shifting our focus to the people who don't.

We didn't chose to be hated and there are others more deserving of our empathy. The world already asks more from us as it is. Why are we also tasked to stick our necks out for people who want nothing more than to crush it under their boots while being told that we're privileged and that rural america has a monopoly on hardship and economic anxiety.

I'm willing to work with people who are open to it. Not sure why people in this thread are expecting us to be able to melt the hearts of those who aren't... or that it's on us to try anyway.

Bravo. Your insight and point of view has brought so much clarity to this issue.

I'll just tell this guy that thinks I'm inferior to him that we are both equal. Oh wait, it's like you didn't even read this post

Quite a few posters are conveniently glossing over posts like that and ones asking the hard questions but continues on why we should spend time educating.

I attended a predominantly white school that went from 7th to 12th, and I sat at a table with other kids. One kid, in particular, called me a nigger and said that he didn't understand why the word nigger was offensive to Black people. He also said that if he was Black he would be proud to be called a nigger. I sat at that table for 2 weeks trying to prove my humanity to this individual, told him that it hurt me, cried, tried to be his friend, and it did nothing. I did everything white people in this thread told me to do but got no results. I've had very similar encounters when I've dealt with racism and as cordial and as nice as I've been, they've never been convinced.

After two decades+ of personal experience with dealing with racism, I'm not going to coddle anyone who treats me as subhuman and I won't feel bad for using the label of racist for them. I won't.

White people really need to bare the burden for converting racists, not me as a Black person. If a person cannot recognize my humanity I will not show them any empathy. Black people literally led the civil rights era, and collectively have done more outreach than any white person in this thread suggesting that we open up a dialogue. We have been open and we have had hard conversations, and if you can't see that then you suffer from tunnel vision.

Why can't white people talk to other white people? Why am I responsible? Why should I tolerate being called nigger? I have depression and other issues that still leaks from the abuse I've faced. Where is my better place in this world? Why must I sacrifice myself for people who don't care about me?

When it comes to racial progress, I almost feel like people don't get it anymore. And a lot of white people, who say don't call others racist, don't even put in half of the effort I and others put in and they certainly don't live life as a Black person.

White people need to be held accountable for this environment and they need to talk to other white people about it, because I'm not doing it. And me abstain doesn't mean I don't want this world to be better, it means that I and others are weary.
Also my apologies for using your post as a response to another person.

You post deserves real responses.

This is the experience minorities go through when they first meet racism. Trying to explain why we all are equal. But people keep on deceiving themselves to think that minorities are not doing enough to get the racists on our side. "Obviously if you talk to them they will see your humanity"

royalan

I don't think very many people would prescribe calling every white person with a grievance racist. Sometimes that happens, but ultimately it's not the goal. It's hard for me to take this article seriously when it starts off with a strawman, one of the oldest in the book, too.

As a minority, I can't help but find this research to be just another patronizing voice telling minorities that the best way to handle with the very real, observable racism we deal the everyday is to just not talk about it. To not call it out for what it is.

This is how erasure works. When the focus is less justice, goodness and equality, and more appeasing there delicate sensibilities of the oppressor.

NastyBook

I'm sorry I voted for Trump. I don't have a time machine and I can't go back and change my vote. Like I said before I voted out of spite and it was a bad decision.
Self-reflection is great. Honestly, just keep doing that, fella. And let it rub off on your loved ones and peers.

Henkka

Banned
BS. So much for personal responsibility huh? If someone is behaving irrationally, it's not the fault of the people calling the behaviour irrational.

Okay, we can think of it without making any moral judgements of who's responsible or anything like that. The truth just is that people can behave irrationally. A lot more people vote on gut feeling than by breaking out a pen and paper and comparing the candidates' tax policies. Much of it happens subconsciously.

All I'm saying is that you should take that into account. Don't give people a reason to vote against you out of spite, like calling their loved ones deplorable. You can say, "It's not my fault they're irrational!", but it won't matter, because you've lost the election.

Malvolio

Terrible politics have been setting this in motion for decades. Gut the education system, produce generations of ignorant citizens and then pin their misery on other poor people. There is no conversation nor name calling that's going to undo that level of collective ignorance. This will continue to go on as long as the inequality in this country continues to widen. This was exactly Bernie's message and until the majority of voters get that through their head, we will continue to point fingers and lay blame while the elites laugh as we chase our tail.

molnizzle

We don't have as much credibility, honestly. It's difficult for me to argue that my parents supported racism by voting for Trump because everyone in the conversation is white. What the fuck do I know about racism? My opinion just isn't taken as seriously.

We still try, but... it's not very effective. At least in my experience.

There's also the weird assumption that when people ask progressives for articles or statistics about institutionalized racism or the effects of conservative policy, it's because we have some sort of private liberal database that the average white person doesn't have access to.

You can type the question directly into google instead of using your ignorance as a way of undermining someone else's right to advocate for themselves.

I'm going to try and change my approach. Though I never directly called out any individual as a racist, I did try to bring out injustices by posting about them on SM to raise awareness.

I made it a point to find the most objective, matter-of-fact, case closed instances rather than the "probably racism" scenarios. For a lot of these people I was one of their few black POC (points of contact). In my naivety, I thought they might listen -- I was dead wrong. The writing was on the wall when every one of these posts got very little actual traction. Though I might've had an angry tone, there was an undercurrent of the rest of my user base getting tired of me bringing it up.

There's something to be said about Obama's take on the Clinton's campaign follies. Campaigns are won through individuals, never take any person for granted. Instead of using wide strokes, paint with a fine-toothed code. So much of Social Media is yelling, and we should know by now that yelling doesn't work. Change of hearts come through one-on-one interactions. I'm not sure how I'm going to bring this up with my friends, but this is going to be my new approach for the next couple years.

And you feel calling a racist a racist is a step too far? Eh, that's your right.

I don't think calling a racist a racist is too far. More importantly, it's not that I don't think people are racist. However, I believe that on top of things that have proven traditionally effective - peaceful protests, getting involved, getting out to vote - I think that in order to change people, we do have to be very aware of their feelings. This goes for everything, not just sensitive conversations. Getting what you want at work, in relationships, etc.

Oh look. Another "it's your job to fix racism and bigotry, people experiencing it" thread.

Nah.

If somebody can't handle being called in their ignorant shit, fuck em.

That's a very badly written article on a scientific study. A lot of preaching, but nothing to back the claims up from the supposed research. I hope another news outlet picks it up and writes a more factual article, because this is an extremely important study.

Of course calling people racist doesn't make them less racist. But many of us are sick of coddling racists and don't have the patience dealing with their ignorance. Hats off to those that do, but it ain't me. I'll still call it when I see it.

Uhh, no, but you could have a conversation with that nice white lady down the block that waves at you when you go for a jog, and doesn't understand why voting for Drumpf lumps her in the same group as the person that did that to your mom.

Well tbh I think the person who should convince her is THE OTHER FING CANDIDATE!

I feel like I'm loosing my mind!
Soooooooo many white liberals pointing the finger at POC and other minorities while ignoring the fact that the DNC candidate made fuck all of an outreach?!

Fuck people using this election result as a weapon against identity politics.

Also here is a quote for you white liberals out there.
"The Negroes aren’t the racists. Where the really sincere white people have got to do their “proving” of themselves is not among the black victims, but out on the battle lines of where America’s racism really is—and that’s in their own home communities; America’s racism is among their own fellow whites. That’s where sincere whites who really mean to accomplish something have got to work. “Aside from that, I mean nothing against any sincere whites when I say that as members of black organizations, generally whites’ very presence subtly renders the black organization automatically less effective. Even the best white members will slow down the Negroes’ discovery of what they need to do, and particularly of what they can do—for themselves, working by themselves, among their own kind, in their own communities. “I sure don’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings, but in fact I’ll even go so far as to say that I never really trust the kind of white people who are always so anxious to hang around Negroes, or to hang around in Negro communities. I don’t trust the kind of whites who love having Negroes always hanging around them. I don’t know—this feeling may be a throwback to the years when I was hustling in Harlem and all of those red-faced, drunk whites in the after hours clubs were always grabbing hold of some Negroes and talking about ‘I just want you to know you’re just as good as I am—.’ And then they got back in their taxicabs and black limousines and went back downtown to the places where they lived and worked where no blacks except servants had better get caught. But, anyway, I know that every time that whites join a black organization, you watch, pretty soon the blacks will be leaning to the whites to support it, and before you know it a black may be up front with a title, but the whites, because of their money, are the real controllers. “I tell sincere white people, ‘Work in conjunction with us—each of us working among our own kind.’ Let sincere white individuals find all other white people they can who feel as they do—and let them form their own all-white groups, to work trying to convert other white people who are thinking and acting so racist. Let sincere whites go and teach non-violence to white people! We will completely respect our white co-workers. They will deserve every credit. We will give them every credit. We will meanwhile be working among our own kind, in our own black communities— showing and teaching black men in ways that only other black men can—that the black man has got to help himself. Working separately, the sincere white people and sincere black people actually will be working together. In our mutual sincerity we might be able to show a road to the salvation of America’s very soul. It can only be salvaged if human rights and dignity, in full, are extended to black men. Only such real, meaningful actions as those which are sincerely motivated from a deep sense of humanism and moral responsibility can get at the basic causes that produce the racial explosions in America today. Otherwise, the racial explosions are only going to grow worse. Certainly nothing is ever going to be solved by throwing upon me and other so-called black ‘extremists’ and ‘demagogues’ the blame for the racism that is in America.”

Lime

Last month I met an older guy in a big city who pointed towards some black/brown boys who had stopped their car in the middle of the road in the middle of the night to withdraw some cash. It's fair that such a thing might not be the nicest thing to do, but it's not the end of the world. But this old white guy said that "these people" weren't no good and could never be any good, because it was "in their culture" (i.e. "Muslims from the Middle East"). And that we are going to lose "our" culture if we don't watch out. I pushed back against this and pointed out examples of how his complaint isn't be true, i.e. isn't it possible that not *all* are X/Y/Z, since we have the examples of A/B/C and my friends are D/E/F. We talked for like 15 minutes or something.

It didn't help, he didn't move, and he left with probably the same opinion. And I didn't even use the horrible 'R' word that supposedly makes people vote for a fascist! (of course, since I'm just a stranger to him, not much influence I can have any way).

I blame the poison that media, and especially tabloid media, are doing to people's minds.

We don't have as much credibility, honestly. It's difficult for me to argue that my parents supported racism by voting for Trump because everyone in the conversation is white. What the fuck do I know about racism? My opinion just isn't taken as seriously.

We still try, but... it's not very effective. At least in my experience.

Well, as a CIS white guy, I know that I'm inherently racist because I benefit from a society that values me more. As much as I don't want to be racist, being white in the US (and most places) makes me racist. So for one, I start off with that when talking to friends and family about it. It isn't simply calling PoC names or personally thinking they are lesser people. It's realizing that we have more and better opportunities. That we don't have to worry when we get pulled over by the police for speeding or having a tail light out. The recognition of things like this and calling attention to them to the people who need to understand that racism does exist. So while you may not have experienced racism as a white person, you can certainly recognize, talk about, and assist in trying to tear down the structures that keep it in place.

Is it difficult? Yes. But to put the burden of explanation on PoC (not saying you were with your post), who already have to deal with racism, is just wrong.

R0ckman

Ignore some of these comments, had a deal like this, I beat a guy up FIRST, then we had a chat to straighten him out. Sometimes you just have to whoop that ass first to bring them back down to earth and wake them out of their idiotic frenzy, people need to realize that.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How about I call someone a racist and explain why I think they are racist.

I do believe you can do both.

If people spent half the time they spend trying to explain how this doesn't help to actually try and educate these people we'd be a lot better off.

If apologists put half of their time into effectively fighting racism and racists put half their time into not being a racist, then we'd be in a pretty good place given all the hard work other folks are putting in.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
We should be living in a world where that's the title of an Onion article.

Fucking Berenstein universe.

tumblr_nsvwop8xAI1tdbwduo1_1280.gif

In this world, the bad guy can win.

Of course calling people racist doesn't make them less racist. But many of us are sick of coddling racists and don't have the patience dealing with their ignorance. Hats off to those that do, but it ain't me. I'll still call it when I see it.

To me it speaks of genuine privilege to tell people struggling against ignorance and bigotry that their real problem is they just haven't been nice enough. There's a huge assumption implicit there that people haven't already been trying everything they can for their entire lives. The assumption that people haven't gone around and around with their friends and family and co-workers before giving up and concluding that many of them are just fucking selfishly, willfully ignorant and in some cases really bigoted.

Lime

Saw this on twitter, thought it was relevant for this discussion as well:

Emmett Rensin ‏@emmettrensin 52m52 minutes ago
What terrifies me is that liberals will internalize the "reach out to White working class stuff" stuff but execute it as "be more polite, sell out black people"

This is what the European Left/Center-left has done in the last decade in response to "Islamophobia" and let me tell you, it's not pretty. Racism becomes normalized and each party tries to one-up the racist parties, but can never ever match the ruthlessness these parties and their voters have for brown/black lives.

KRod-57

Banned
Something mental health experts will always tell you is how shaming usually isn't effective in changing a person's behavior, and how it usually just puts the person on the defensive. Starting a conversation has a much great impact, but it often takes practice to not come off as confrontational

LMFAO at the thought of me trying to convince a racist the error of their ways in 2016. Racists are trash and that fact should be made known at every possible opportunity.

Fuck em

Bigotry is complex.

The complexity comes from how much a society will defend it as long as it fits status quo.

The complexity comes from the damage it brings to the victims, twists them, drags onto the next generation.

The complexity comes from the belief that everyone is the main character of their own story, how can I be the bad guy?

But that complexity? Should be on the non-afflicted population that knows it is wrong to confront, not assuage.

In other words, this survey is right, but is being used very very wrong.

R0ckman

Is this some new age thing? Typically when "insulted" or given a label an adult or sane person self-reflects. If they needed to be talked to or reasoned with they have to first admit they have a problem.

An acoholic is not going to seek help via discussion unless he realizes he is one and applies the label to himself either from someone else revealing it or a life/death wake up call.

There is a lot more that has caused racial thinking to become ingrained, on top of ignorance a lot of the times its not severly punished and not shown publicly via media as a punishable offense. This causes cognitive dissonance and can be phychologically damaging to people who see the actions having no consequence, that reinforces that these things must be "right".

I'm a white Clinton voter in Madison, Wisconsin. Racism against black Americans and other minorities is very real and has a terrible impact. Criminal justice movement included.

This won't go over well here, but the BLM movement is counterproductive when politics is as race-conscious as Trump has made them.

Most white people HATE to be called racist. They hate to confront the racist history of this country. They live in a bubble with other white people and pretend that we're in this post-racial era. Even though they absolutely have racist feelings and views, they do not consider themselves to be racist.

Say "Black Lives Matter" to an average person in the Wisconsin or the UP or whatever, and you will get a very emotional and visceral, "of course all lives matter!" It doesn't matter how many times you explain with metaphors about a house on fire and how "all fires matter" is bad. It's just how they feel.

Protesting police brutality and killing of young blacks is important. But remember that protest movements can politically backfire. See anti-war protests of 1968 and 1972. Even when the nation was turning against the war, those protests helped elect Richard Nixon. People really didn't like the anti-war movement. Contrast to the successful southern 50-'s-60's civil rights movement, which effectively shined a light on things people didn't want to see about America, and had to confront.

Everyone in America should have their voices heard, and in Trump's America I don't see the policing issue getting better anytime soon. And I don't BLAME any single thing for getting Trump elected. But there's some white folks who really, really don't like Black Lives Matter as a slogan. Some of them are more indifferent to racism than actively racist. That's a problem in itself. Perhaps it's too fine a point, but I'm super pissed because they just elected a racist.

Audioboxer

I'm willing to put some faith in the science. That being said the much bigger problem on the left just now is the labelling of your own people incorrectly when you have a fit of rage someone can call themselves a liberal but not think 1:1 as you do.

Egotistical authoritarianism will sink the liberals well before giving a shit about the horrible right wing nasties. Effort can be made with some of them to try and dismantle their bigotry, but the far more concerning issue in the short term is the left eating itself and the constant power tripping from egos that never get fed. They are always growing, consuming and trying to feel superior to everyone on the same side around them. Some of the snark handed out to what are otherwise companions in the fight for a progressive society is utterly perplexing.

Well its perplexing to a rational mind that accepts life is complex and even on the correct side of social progression, people will still differ and vary. Other minds are just set to always be in a state of victim hood/victomology and even when they're addressing allies if they sense any differing or dissenting opinion it must be because said ally is actually an "x". Quick, set the dogs on them and get them and their opinions shut down.

I've never called someone a racist in hopes of converting them into a non racist.

Right? When I say that, it is not in hopes of you converting.

When I want that, I will confront the action or dialogue. If I am at you? It's because you have a pattern for it. You're a done deal.

A loved one or friend can do the work at this point. I just need you out of the way.

catbird

Neo Member
I have many family members who are blatantly racist. Especially since Obama was elected, they have been letting the racial epithets fly. I have been calling them out for decades but somehow they have never let their feelings get hurt. They have always more or less not really seemed to care if some silly liberal like me thought they were racist.

Now, all of a sudden they are super triggered and can't handle any criticism at all. Any criticism about Republicans, conservatives, Trump, anything and their response is to claim "Democrats supported the KKK first! Republicans are the party of Lincoln!!!" and resort to insults (whiny SJW etc.). Even if the criticism isn't related to race. They just buy into all of the garbage and false persecution they hear on the media.

FStop7

Banned
I don't care about the individual racist. I care about acknowledging and dismantling global White supremacy.

White supremacy tells the poor White man that he's better than the Black man.
White supremacy tells the poor White man they are allies with wealthy elite that couldn't give two shits about them.
White supremacy tells the poor White man it's ok for minorities to get beat and be abused if they get out of line for even the pettiest infraction.
White supremacy tells the poor White man that curtailing policies that would help the Black man is a terrible hand out despite the fact it'd help them as well.

Gotta deal with White supremacy. As bad as the individual racist is they're a byproduct of a much deeper systemic problem.

I don't think it's a poverty driven issue. Maybe it was in the past but the ugliest, nastiest racist stuff I see comes from middle/upper middle class suburbanites.

I'm willing to put some faith in the science. That being said the much bigger problem on the left just now is the labelling of your own people incorrectly when you have a fit of rage someone can call themselves a liberal but not think 1:1 as you do.

Egotistical authoritarianism will sink the liberals well before giving a shit about the horrible right wing nasties. Effort can be made with some of them to try and dismantle their bigotry, but the far more concerning issue in the short term is the left eating itself and the constant power tripping from egos that never get fed. They are always growing, consuming and trying to feel superior to everyone on the same side around them. Some of the snark handed out to what are otherwise companions in the fight for a progressive society is utterly perplexing.

Well yeah, as a white man in England you're probably not going to have a lot of empathy for minorities in America being told to suck it up and always be the bigger person in the face of racism so the party can win big with sensitive, ignorant voters.

I'll just tell this guy that thinks I'm inferior to him that we are both equal.

You don't need to tell him that. You don'tneed to sit there and try to educate, just treat him the way you want to be treated. Maybe it will make him rethink his attitude, maybe it won't.

So it might not help in the end but the alternative won't help either. You can't change people by attacking and shaming them. You have to understand that that is not practical at all. Once you do then we can think about what WILL help.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm a white Clinton voter in Madison, Wisconsin. Racism against black Americans and other minorities is very real and has a terrible impact. Criminal justice movement included.

This won't go over well here, but the BLM movement is counterproductive when politics is as race-conscious as Trump has made them.

Most white people HATE to be called racist. They hate to confront the racist history of this country. They live in a bubble with other white people and pretend that we're in this post-racial era. Even though they absolutely have racist feelings and views, they do not consider themselves to be racist.

Say "Black Lives Matter" to an average person in the Wisconsin or the UP or whatever, and you will get a very emotional and visceral, "of course all lives matter!" It doesn't matter how many times you explain with metaphors about a house on fire and how "all fires matter" is bad. It's just how they feel.

Protesting police brutality and killing of young blacks is important. But remember that protest movements can politically backfire. See anti-war protests of 1968 and 1972. Even when the nation was turning against the war, those protests helped elect Richard Nixon. People really didn't like the anti-war movement. Contrast to the successful southern 50-'s-60's civil rights movement, which effectively shined a light on things people didn't want to see about America, and had to confront.

Everyone in America should have their voices heard, and in Trump's America I don't see the policing issue getting better anytime soon. And I don't BLAME any single thing for getting Trump elected. But there's some white folks who really, really don't like Black Lives Matter as a slogan. Some of them are more indifferent to racism than actively racist. That's a problem in itself. Perhaps it's too fine a point, but I'm super pissed because they just elected a racist.
Thank you for your perspective. It's interesting to see something else than "WI voters were just about economic anxiety", for once.

People just really don't want to admit how widespread and pernicious racism, misogyny and homophobia really are. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom