• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Research says there are ways to reduce racism. Calling people racist isn’t one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm trying to wrap my head around this because I think it's confusing as fuck

-hillary calls some (not all) trump supporters deplorable, racist, homophobic, xenophobic. Liberals generally agree.

-someone who claims to not be one of those things is offended by the idea of being grouped in with those people, so they vote for the racist, homophobic, xenophobic ticket basically out of spite, against their own interest.

-when faced with the idea that their vote, while not directly driven by bigotry, still contributes to the proliferation of bigotry, that person again feels persecuted and then flees the thread unable to face the discussion at hand

-this is somehow the fault of those who actually tried to engage the user

Is this what the thread is basically about because I'm still lost

sums up Trump_GAF

-hillary calls some (not all) trump supporters deplorable, racist, homophobic, xenophobic. Liberals generally agree.

-someone who claims to not be one of those things is offended by the idea of being grouped in with those people, so they vote for the racist, homophobic, xenophobic ticket basically out of spite, against their own interest.

-when faced with the idea that their vote, while not directly driven by bigotry, still contributes to the proliferation of bigotry, that person again feels persecuted and then flees the thread unable to face the discussion at hand

In a nutshell.

We need to talk.

Just don't challenge someone, make them have to think outside their comfort zone or show them where their logic fails.

Just talk.

The weather was crap today. Do you like ketchup or brown sauce better?

cdyhybrid

If anyone ever wanted a crystal clear example of why a lot of minorities are fucking tired of trying to engage these people, read the last page or two. Holy shit :lol

This just makes me hate Facebook even more. They let people go so far down the rabbit hole that they'll keep digging to avoid potentially getting out.

I haven't determined I'm in the right. It's hard to open any sort of dialogue about this at all. Even more so on an online forum. Especially considering how many people get banned for discussing it.

A lot of my vote was to stick in the face of people, let's all be honest here nobody thought this guy would fucking win. I'm not closed off to a dialogue, but I'm not going to sit there and be called all these things. Most people who supported Trump hide that they did it, at least that's been my experience. I came to this specific thread because I felt like it was a place where I could openly admit and discuss it. I'm not a hard-liner, I've looked back and seen some of the things that he is done and I myself wonder why I voted for him. Someone said it was out of spite, you're absolutely correct.

Coming to discuss it and being right off the bat labeled as all these different things, that's not a discussion that's an attack. And it is a consistent theme.
Where is the room for me to see a different point of view and learn from what you guys are feeling? When all I'm hearing is how I'm in the Special Olympics and a bigot. Those is all things that I've heard before it's nothing new. I realized a few minutes after posting that there is no such thing as an open dialogue, and most certainly not on this form. I shouldn't have posted my position or how I got there. But a thread about openening a dialogue seems like it might be a good place. I guess I was wrong.

Enzom21

I haven't determined I'm in the right. It's hard to open any sort of dialogue about this at all. Even more so on an online forum. Especially considering how many people get banned for discussing it.

A lot of my vote was to stick in the face of people, let's all be honest here nobody thought this guy would fucking win. I'm not closed off to a dialogue, but I'm not going to sit there and be called all these things. Most people who supported Trump hide that they did it, at least that's been my experience. I came to this specific thread because I felt like it was a place where I could openly admit and discuss it. I'm not a hard-liner, I've looked back and seen some of the things that he is done and I myself wonder why I voted for him. Someone said it was out of spite, you're absolutely correct.

Coming to discuss it and being right off the bat labeled as all these different things, that's not a discussion that's an attack. And it is a consistent theme.
Where is the room for me to see a different point of view and learn from what you guys are feeling? When all I'm hearing is how I'm in the Special Olympics and a bigot. Those is all things that I've heard before it's nothing new. I realized a few minutes after posting that there is no such thing as an open dialogue, and most certainly not on this form. I shouldn't have posted my position or how I got there. But a thread about openening a dialogue seems like it might be a good place. I guess I was wrong.
Can we get some examples of racism from Clinton's campaign?

andthebeatgoeson

Calling people racist doesn't reduce racism, okay. I think everyone can agree there.

You know what also doesn't reduce racism?

Not a single Trump supporter being able to openly accept the racism their vote carried into the white house, regardless of their social or political leanings.

The HUGE portion of Americans who ignore institutionalised racism or refuse to believe or accept its existence is the problem minorities face in the first place when it comes to reducing racism.

Pushing the issue of race in America to the back of the queue so that we don't make people who wont accept its existence feel uncomfortable, certainly will not reduce racism. America ALREADY pushed the issue to the back of the queue the moment Trump made it into the white house.

He won. Your economic anxiety has been acknowledged. Can someone out there who voted for Trump now PLEASE acknowledge the racial (sexuality/religious/) anxiety his win has created?

No?

Why?

Let me copy pasta one of my posts from another thread which expands on that some more.

____________________________________________________________________________________

As I said at the top of the previous page.

It's just very telling, especially on this page that Trump supporters simply cannot and will not:

a) Accept the effect their votes have already had regarding the rights of minorities

b) Following point A, be able to say "I know what I voted for, but I will not stand by if the Trump government starts a campaign against your rights.

c) Do anything else other than simply voice their point that they're upset you'd be troubled that they voted for something that's literally making them fearful.

EVERY, SINGLE post defending Trump voters is either some kind of second hand "well I'm sure they're not all racist" which is actually besides the point. You don't need to be racist to turn a blind eye to it. But that's also besides the point.

Or there's the people posting that they're not going to air their views because they fear criticism. Even though the question of the thread is only asking if they will actively denounce and reject any hate towards them whether it be the rise of hate groups or discriminatory legislation from Washington.

The fact that people are far more interested in defending their vote for Trump instead of denouncing his and his partys social views, even when it's not the topic of discussion says a lot imo.

The problem minorities have is that the majority need to be on their side if equality can ever be a reality.

So these discussions NEED to be had. Minorities would like to know where they stand and would like to hear that even if you voted for Trump based on the economy, you'd fight him on social issues geared against them.

But we're not seeing that on the television.

We're not hearing that on the radio.

We're not reading it on Internet forums.

We're not seeing it in Facebook posts.

We can't get anything else other than a defense that a vote for a racist doesn't make them.a racist, and that we need to listen to their issues and that's pretty much all were getting.

Ever.

In a time where the narrative of "we lost the election because we ignored the concerns of x group of Americans" is doing the rounds, the concerns of many Americans right now are being brushed aside because it makes too many feel "uncomfortable".

And I don't believe it's because they're afraid of criticism, but because of the fact that at some stage in the discussion, they will need to admit that regardless of their reasons for voting, their vote also meant something that they themselves are probably not ready to come to terms with yet.

If we cannot get people to at least accept point a) and make statement b), instead of just making point c) over and over and over, then the discussion of equality can't really happen, because it's representative of attitudes that prevent it in the first place

Welp.

Funnily enough, the only two people I've personally been able to hear both say they will work with Trump on his ambitions to change the way politics works and also take a solid stance against his bigotry are Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders.

Why is it so difficult for basically everyone else ive ever seen discuss this election to say the same?

You might be on to something.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/7/11380974/reduce-prejudice-science-transgender
The key difference between Fleischer's technique, sometimes called "deep canvassing," and the standard model is that Fleischer has voters do most of the talking.

"The key part of this is having people think back on their real, lived experience in an honest way," Fleischer tells me. "Everything we do is driven by that."

In talking about their own lives, the voters engage in what psychologists call "active processing." The idea is that people learn lessons more durably when they come to the conclusion themselves, not when someone "bitch-slaps you with a statistic," says Fleischer. Overall, it's a task designed to point out our common humanity, which then opens the door to reducing prejudice.

These guys didn't have a conversation or accuse them of being trans phobic. They got people to admit or analyze they could be trans phobic. You get reasonable people who self reflect and allow them to self reflect makes them a better person.

I'm not sure how that was perverted into 'stop calling them racist.'

Actually, i do. Easy way out. Easier to let racism die but ignoring it. Funny thing is, we just did this. Remember post racial America? That was 8 years ago when we celebrated post racial America.

Jonm1010

Banned
I am calling my shot now. in a few years when white women either have no health care, or have to pay out the nose for it.

When white men don't get those cushy union 100k a year factory jobs back.

When white families see that little bit of food stamps that was helping them get by get snatched up.

Then a whole lot of people are going to want to talk, lot of conversations will be going on.

Can't blame the scary black man in the white house, can't blame harry reid, can't blame the scary MSM. They will have to look in the mirror
When you peel back the surface and look at some of the underlying points that resonated From Trump to his rural base, I think there is a strong case to be made this is already happening.

They really hate Obama, but they also really don't care for Bush or Republicans. Entire aspects of Reaganism came under attack with open arms(though the image of Reagan himself is still held in high regard). Something most of the left and almost all of the right thought sacrosanct.

Problem is, despite what idealists want to think, that disillusionment is not always instant and not always manifested in the ways we hope. Not always directed in the most productive ways.

But it is clear now the yearning was there and people like Bernie recognized that and used it to try and reintroduce an alternative narrative and solutions from what they had previously embraced.

You were not attacked "right off the bat" multiple people asked you follow up questions based on your faulty logic.

No one even called you a bigot or disabled. Try reading people's post.

These dramatic exits and entrances are getting old.

Con_Smith

Banned
It's funny there was a time people would call others niggers, chinks, ect and it was all just so....normal.

Now calling someone a racist, that just ain't right and gets us nowhere. How will they learn if you call a spade a spade? This farce of a president shows these people revel in their insecurities and hate anyone who would uncover them. But yet the fight to make it normal to allow them get their way makes me feel we really are "making America great again"

IrishNinja

this, all day - been saying it for a minute now, shame the page 1 apologists aren't ready to hear it

It never changes. So many people are trying to come in here and basically say: "Minorities and liberals, please be tolerant of my intolerance!"

Fuck no.

Dude just ran away when he was called on his bullshit lol

isn't this kinda part of the problem? running a dude out of a thread doesn't mean his vote doesn't count. people getting real smug in here a week after we got destroyed by people who get run out of NeoGAF threads.

i don't know what the answer is. i'm real frustrated too.

brinstar

I don't know what kind of discussion you're hoping to open here. You yourself admitted you voted for him out of spite. Well, okay you sure showed those marginalized folks, I guess next time we'll learn to mince our words when a KKK-endorsed candidate is on the ticket.

cdyhybrid

isn't this kinda part of the problem? running a dude out of a thread doesn't mean his vote doesn't count. people getting real smug in here a week after we got destroyed by people who get run out of NeoGAF threads.

He was not run out of the thread. He was asked for justification of his actions, and potential consequences of his actions were explained to him, and he ran away.

This honestly reminds me of a story my mom told me years ago.

Back when she was protesting in the 60s for equal rights, she was told by her white coworkers that maybe perhaps black people demanding rights the way they are is what pushes the rest of America to vote against them because they (many white people) felt they were being discriminated against and that blacks yelling and demanding rights instead of trying to explain to them (White people) why they (black people) should have rights when the status quo has been fine so far is the main reason for resistance.

Minorities have an uphill battle constantly. We have to comfort those who offer none to us, educate those who see us as subhuman, meet hate with love while not being able to show anger (hello angry black man, black woman stereotype!); tolerate their intolerance, reach across the aisle and empathise with them when they do not offer the same for us. We are told to do this all the while being talked down to not only by racists but also by moderates who are more concerned with maintaining the status quo indirectly due to their own lack of action, while chastising us for being tired of basically being the builders, the entertainment, and the cultural creators of this country while getting no recognition for such.

America loves reinforcing the false narrative (directly and indirectly) that racists and white people in general are the real oppressed groups.

I find it ironic and disturbing that the primary focus post-election has been on the supposed repellent effect of intolerance displayed by liberals and their echo chambers rather than the demonstrable intolerance and extreme conservative echo chambers that fostered the support and culture of misinformation Trump rode to the White House.

Well it was our intolerance of their intolerance that pushed them to vote Trump apparently.

So one solution is to have minorities seek out rural America to help race relations? Assuming minorities have a reason why they want to go out there and are not forced to integrate then what?

So what's your explanation for North Carolina and Silver Spring, Maryland? Places that minorities are being targeted with hate crimes.
It's not on minorities at all to engage with rural whites, it should be the other way around, but yeah that's a good point because it can be dangerous in those areas. Not sure what's the solution, maybe an exchange student kind of program for rural whites to visit or meet minorities? :p

You just said you voted to stick it to people and you didn't think he could win. For you it wasn't even about policy, or Christianity or any such reason. You literally voted for the lulz and gay people, trans people, women, black people, Hispanics, the nation as a whole, will have to suffer the consequences so I'm not sure why you're acting like a victim or believe you're interested in an open dialogue now. You made your choice, dude. I'm entitled to my humanity as a black man, as an LGBTQ+ individual. You are NOT entitled to open dialogue from me after voting for the party that despises me. If you don't want to be called a bigot or a fool, you shouldn't have thrown your lot in with bigots and fools. So stop acting like you're a victim when you didn't take the plight of anyone seriously in the first place.

No. He was not run out of the thread. The people who have to suffer under Trump wanted to know why he voted for him, what could possibly convince him to vote for a xenophobe, sexist and his homophobic VP, he all but stated he did it out of spite until he admitted it, and he left when he discovered that was not a satisfactory answer. His vote did count. That's the entire point. His vote counted toward the harm of many people and he could only claim he voted the way he did because liberals online were mean to him. That isn't worthy of respect.

I simply asked you if you, or anyone you know could accept what your vote for spite also means for a lot of race relations and general all round minority rights.

All you replied with was a "I saw racism on both sides" and complained that people like me asking if you at the bare minimum acknowledge the full consequence of your vote, is the reason why you voted the way you did.

That shows that you pretty much cannot accept the ramifications of what your vote means in its entirety.

Foggy

The lack of self-awareness is staggering. "Hey guys, I voted out of pettiness and spite. Let's have a dialogue". What?

THESE ARE THE FIRST RESPONSES BEFORE YOU HAD YOUR HISSY FIT

So the racism was okay but having an anti Semite on staff is a betrayal? I guess it's easy to ignore something that doesn't affect you huh?

Do your family and friends who voted for Trump accept what their vote means in its entirety? Do they feel remorseful for the negative side of what their vote means?

How did you feel when the candidate you decided to stand with slandered and fomented hatred against good people just because of their race or ethnicity?

Asking people to be 'tolerant of my intolerance' is insane.

So being Jewish what are your thoughts on Steven Bannon being in Trumps cabinet?

WHERE IS THE ATTACK?

Ok addendum - dude returns to the thread, triples down and flat out admits to making his vote out of spite and ignorance then continues to act offended

Still confused as shit as to why we are in the wrong for calling racism and ignorance out for what it is.

Codeblue

I'm just gonna ask that maybe next time you make an informed decision instead of an emotional one and I'll leave it at that.

IrishNinja

I am calling my shot now. in a few years when white women either have no health care, or have to pay out the nose for it.

When white men don't get those cushy union 100k a year factory jobs back.

When white families see that little bit of food stamps that was helping them get by get snatched up.

Then a whole lot of people are going to want to talk, lot of conversations will be going on.

Can't blame the scary black man in the white house, can't blame harry reid, can't blame the scary MSM. They will have to look in the mirror

But they won't. They'll blame illegal immigrants, they'll blame globalization, they'll blame Democrats.

exactly this, sadly

A lot of my vote was to stick in the face of people,

Someone said it was out of spite, you're absolutely correct.

I guess I was wrong.

really makes u think

The issue was that you were so cavalier with peoples lives even though you knew better. And on day one, we already saw a spike in hate crimes. And then later that week, we saw Bannon appointed. Everything we feared has come to pass in less than a week and you are still kinda *shrug.emoji*

Im sorry but you voted for him and that means you voted for everything he supports. You can't pick and choose.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A lot of my vote was to stick in the face of people,
[...] Someone said it was out of spite, you're absolutely correct.
And you can't understand why people ridicule and shame you? You literally just admit voting like an idiot, petulant child instead of a semi-intelligent rational adult, and you whine about persecution?

Open dialogue? How the fuck does one dialogue with someone openly admits "yeah I voted for really fucking stupid reasons, don't judge me bro :("

Ryzaki009

I agree that incidents like that will have to fight against the parents' constant reinforcement. I'm not trying to paint being civil as being some kind of silver bullet to racism, and I'm not saying that racists need to be coddled. Racism should not be tolerated. I agree with you that the country looked like it was going in the right direction for years, but suddenly has been set back by decades because of Trump.

Racism is wrong, sexism is wrong, and homophobia is wrong. I fucking hate Trump and all of his views with a ferocity that I can't put into words. The general progress against bigotry that civilization as a whole has doing well against until now has been set back by decades, and I place the blame purely because he and his fucking filth has been on the world stage constantly over the past year.

But I don't think fighting hate with hate is the answer. The racist and bigoted views are deplorable and the actions based on them are deplorable, and they should not be tolerated. But you can't dehumanize the people who hold those views because they will never change if you do. Attack the views, but not the people. Attacking the people would probably create more racists in the long run because all the racism would be enforced with "Look, they hate us anyway." It's not logical but from the perspective of racists, it would just reinforce their views that minorities should be hated.

I think the younger generation is generally more accepting of race and sexual orientation because they grew up around it more. It's hard to be a racist when you grew up hanging out with minorities and seeing that all the bullshit that your parents may spew towards you about them is completely unfounded. But if everyone steps up the hate towards each other, it will reinforce those views.

Saying "dude, that's racist" is different from saying "dude, you're racist." One can be detached from the person. The other can't.

I just have to say in my personal experience that nice guy stick don't work. And I rather step over them and progress. I don't have the energy for it anymore. I just don't.

I don't give a fuck why you voted for Trump but fucking take accountability for your shit. The rise of hate crimes is on you the racial divide increasing is on you. Own up to your fucking shit and stop acting as if you didn't know what Trump was about. He made it clear as day what he was about and to ignore all that shit doesn't absolve you from responsibility. Ever since this Trump won people want to put it all on minorities being mean to Trump supporters rather than coming to terms that this country is full of racist people and people who don't give a fuck about racism and how it effects minorities.

hold on -- i voted for Obama twice. are you saying i support civilian casualties in drone strikes?

Can we stop with this? I'm pretty sure Obama didn't have a campaign around doing drone strikes.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

This blows my mind. Why did you play games like this when you knew exactly what the consequences of a spite vote would entail?

The issue was that you were so cavalier with peoples lives even though you knew better. And on day one, we already saw a spike in hate crimes. And then later that week, we saw Bannon appointed. Everything we feared has come to pass in less than a week and you are still kinda *shrug.emoji*

I'm not shrugging It Off. I didn't think he would actually win, I've admitted to going back and realizing that I voted out of spite. There's no right answers for it. It was a bad decision, but I didn't have room to even admit that.
There is no room for me to apologize, whether Daryl wants to play pretend or not I was attacked right away. So for some of the real questions that were asked, my answers were that I felt like it was the right decision. As for now I look back and realize it was a bad decision.
If some of the other posters could give me some fucking breathing room, then I could apologize.

hold on -- i voted for Obama twice. are you saying i support civilian casualties in drone strikes?

I'm willing to take accountability as a voter that my candidate has done heinous things. I'd respect Trump voters more if they admit that they take accountability for perpetuating Trump's hatred, bigotry and all the fallout that will occur due to his policies for American citizens. But they don't do that. They say "I had my reasons" or like our friend that just left (or is still here I guess) "I did it out of spite" and leave it at that.

I'm not shrugging It Off. I didn't think he would actually win, I've admitted to going back and realizing that I voted out of spite. There's no right answers for it. It was a bad decision, but I didn't have room to even admit that.
There is no room for me to apologize, whether Daryl wants to play pretend or not I was attacked right away. So for some of the real questions that were asked, my answers were that I felt like it was the right decision. As for now I look back and realize it was a bad decision.
If some of the other posters could give me some fucking breathing room, then I could apologize.

You are so fragile. I posted every single response you received before you blew up and had a hissy fit yet you were attacked still? Dude recreate the scenario however you want. All people have to do is go back one page.

Every you response you gave was doubling down and you trying to justify your vote even more instead of answering the questions.

B4s5C

Dog piling is the worst part of off-topic.

cdyhybrid

Ain't nobody stopping you from posting except yourself.

Slayven

as a person of Jewish faith why vote for an anti-Semitic like Steve Bannon?

Also I voted for Obama. I'll own up to what his administration has done and the campaign he ran. Now tell me when Trump supporters will do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom