• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Legions Upscaled 4k on XSX

Banned
To be fair, it does not even set a benchmark for either console, as its ubisoft and same games are all over the place on PC cards as well.

But its also fair game after the ridicuous Valhalla thread and RDNA3 nonsense that went on this afternoon. You also know thats true.

At least I am looking forward to Immortals - that looks more interesting.

well it is a first showcase of really complex Raytracing. the game is littered with RT reflections and it supposedly also uses RT for lighting (GI, AO, Shadows) so that's somewhat of a benchmark IMO. this game really pushes RT hard. the resolution, at least on close surfaces, of these reflections also seems to be pretty good and there are no obvious missing details/objects/effects from the reflections so far, but that will need further inspection of course.

geordiemp

Look, at least from what I remember I wasn’t part of that thread other than reactions I’m sure, call me out if wrong though.

I’m sure we can both agree it’s more on Ubi than both consoles.

Well people need to vent both sides, its like a slow torture these reveals. Get on with it FFS.

And ubi....I agree, and was always Likely from PC experiences yes.

Last edited:
Proposal: now that sony has come forward with the information that their games will be upscaled to 4k, and we're finding out series x games will also be upscaled to 4k, how about we start talking about the actual games instead of how many pixels the game engine renders before it's thrown into the upscaler?
It's not over yet, the talk will now be about counting frames.

SkylineRKR

Could be that next games will be better. Same shit happened with Battlefield 4 which wasn't native 1080p on PS4 either. Yes I know thats not Ubi thank you.

I believe the original WD ran at a lowball res on PS4 also. IQ was dogshit. Later games did look better.

Krisprolls

Banned
The bomb just dropped it's apparently reconstructed from 1440p on XSX (ouch), so less than half the pixels of 4K native. Let's hope next games do better.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
It's possible, those with 3000USD+ price sticker, can do such things.

Most often it's just setting that resolution and don't change...how is it called...resolution scalling and don't fuck around DLSS.

This pc he brags about playing games in 4k. How can I break the news to him?

sircaw

Banned

Oh, so now you believe Alex do you? Funny that ain't it blue.

giphy.gif

You too, wtf? Seems like you guys are full of shit.

I can't wait to see the back peddling on this one.

You are calling people out on their posts but you are limiting who can see yours, Why is that?

Stuart360

People keep laughing at my 'these consoles arent powerful enough for ray tracing, should of been left for the Pro consoles' post on page 1, but is 1440p/30 what you expected to play on next gen? We could actually have a situation where the OneX version is actually running at a higher resolution than the next gen consoles lol, does that sound right to you?.
Yes these consoles are not good enough for ray tracing, not for the amount of ray tracing there is in this game anyway.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
so you did read the Op too? good job! lol

It's not in the OP of this thread so I'm not sure what you mean. No need to be that salty anyway, as I said next XSX games may behave a bit better, this game is just poorly optimized overall.

Last edited:

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Thats there MO, and also "please wait" once the bad news breaks that there 'more powerful' box isnt going to show the gains they were hoping for over the competition in multiplatforms, then the excuse will go towards developers getting the tools late because MS waited till last min. you can already see it coming, 🤣 and then when that runs out itll just switch to something else. Always the victim unless they think they have something to gloat about, reality bout to check in quick though.
Always the victim never the bully :lollipop_sad_relieved:

Banned
You are calling people out on their posts but you are limiting who can see yours, Why is that?

this doesn't change the issue, the hypocrisy on this forum is fucking ginormous.

one day "User XYZ" will tell you that game critics are shills and woke nutjobs, but the next day he will use the 10/10 scores they gave to his favorite games as prove that his favorite developer as ammo.
another user will call some outlet shills and fanboys with a secret agenda one day, but as soon as they say even the slightest thing that benefits his argument the narrative will switch from "we can't trust this guy he is obviously hiding something!" to "look what this person said!!! now we know the truth!"

and it is everywhere this shit.
one game is prove that a certain console is underpowered but another one is prove that the developers are obviously terrible at optimizing, of course luckily every time it is your preferred system the latter one is the case!

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
this doesn't change the issue, the hypocrisy on this forum is fucking ginormous.

one day "User XYZ" will tell you that game critics are shills and woke nutjobs, but the next day he will use the 10/10 scores they gave to his favorite games as prove that his favorite developer as ammo.

another user will call some outlet shills and fanboys with a secret agenda one day, but as soon as they say even the slightest thing that benefits his argument the narrative will switch from "we can't trust this guy he is obviously hiding something!" to "look what this person said!!! now we know the truth!"

and it is everywhere this shit.

you got someone calling out other people while he is deliberately hiding his own posts, WTF DUDE

Has he got the fucking coca-cola recipe in there or something no.

He is making sure no one can go through his history and does what he is doing to other people.

Last edited:

Banned
you got someone calling out other people while he is deliberately hiding his own posts, WTF DUDE

Has he got the fucking coca-cola recipe in there or something no.

He is making sure no one can go through his history and do what he is doing to people.

sure that is also kinda weird... what is he hiding, but still, I find the former a bit more irritating. if he did the same in the past then shame onhim too.

I hope you included yourself in that.

if you can show me an example... everyone is guilty of it to some degree, but the amount of flipflopping going on with some users is fucking ridiculous. but I think I am pretty consistent with my views.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
You look at that and then realize XSX is actually doing great to be hitting 1440p/30 lol.

More like you realize :

1) Ubi sucks at optimizing their games. Especially considering their games hardly look incredible overall.

2) RT is a scam at this point. If we lose half the framerate for a slightly better puddle, what's the point ? (outside of selling overpriced Nvidia cards obviously, where it worked wonderfully)

Last edited:

Stuart360

This is why AC V will absolutely NOT be 4k native on Xsx. You know it's going to take a 3080 at the very least to hit 4k60 locked.
I said the same in the thread, BUT Valhalla doesnt have RT though, which is obviously the main reason for this being 1440p/30.
Still i dont see XSX hitting native 4k in Valhalla.

Stuart360

More like you realize :

1) Ubi sucks at optimizing their games.

2) RT is a scam at this point. If we lose half the framerate for a slight better puddle, what's the point ? (outside of selling overpriced Nvidia cards obviously)
I agree on both counts, which makes the gloating in this thread quite silly.

Native 4k is a meme. With upscaling technology being as advanced as it is (not being noticeable without pixel counting) I would rather the devs use the horsepower of the console for other more important things.
You know, people really like their 400x zoom

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
sure that is also kinda weird... what is he hiding, but still, I find the former a bit more irritating. if he did the same in the past then shame onhim too.

i talk tonnes of shit, granted but at least i will not hide my stuff you know where i stand, yours is open too. Your the same.

I hate this hiding people post shit then they pick fights with other people using their posts against them. its lame and cowardly.

This game admittedly looks much better on PC when playing it directly rather than watching recorded footage of it on YouTube (duh!). However, it's still ridiculous that even a Ryzen 3950X combined with an RTX 3090 and 64GBs of DDR4 can't run this game in 4K with maximum settings (without ray tracing) at sixty frames per second; the frame rate ranges from the mid forties to mid fifties most of the time, occasionally hitting 58 to 60 frames per second.
On a 3080, I turned settings to very high and getting solid results hovering around 70. When a bunch of cars piled up and exploded it did touch 45 though.

Blue Spring

if you can show me an example... everyone is guilty of it to some degree, but the amount of flipflopping going on with some users is fucking ridiculous. but I think I am pretty consistent with my views.
I dont really keep exact track of all posts I see but you called one of my post console wars yesterday or so while I never really intended it to be and then I saw you the day after posting some really cringy console war rethoric.

tbf tho. you are not one of the most hardcore fanboys on this from my impression.

Last edited:

Banned
More like you realize :

1) Ubi sucks at optimizing their games. Especially considering their games hardly look incredible overall.

2) RT is a scam at this point. If we lose half the framerate for a slightly better puddle, what's the point ? (outside of selling overpriced Nvidia cards obviously, where it worked wonderfully)

RT is amazing. it's not about better looking puddles. it is about a stable image. screen space effects literally break apart if the conditions aren't 100% optimal, you get artifacts, obvious errors and constant breakup in ambient occlusion and reflections that can be really distracting and sometimes even look like outright graphical glitches.

on top of that RT can influence gameplay. you can use reflective surfaces as mirrors for example. older games even tried to do this in a very limited fassion (I hope this is now coming back in a big way) in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory for example (at least on Xbox an PC) there were some real time reflections using render to texture reflections, and guards would spot you in reflections so you had to look out for them.
this was really limited back then because multiple render to texture reflections on screen at once would have been extremely taxing

I dont really keep exact track of all posts I see but you called one of my post console wars yesterday or so while I never really intended it to be and then I saw you the day after posting some really cringy console war rethoric.

I doubt that... often times what people call "console war rhetoric" is actually just someone keeping the record straight, which is really hard sometimes on this forum. as someone who owns every current and last gen system (among others) and has grudges with all of them and favorites from each manufacturer as well as systems of each that I don't like I will coitize them all and cheer all of them on from time to time, so in isolation that might also come across as console waring...

also my giant distaste for everything Naughty Dog stands for (their whole gamedesign philosophy is disgusting to me) will often be seen as that by Sony fanboys, even tho I hate 343i even more for fucking up Halo to an almost unsalvageable state.

a lot of people will only look at one post or one argument and then see it as something it isn't

Last edited:
An obvious point of view. Let's wait for this Ubisoft "4k" in consoles.

For me it's DRS in both of them. Do you want native 4k 60fps very high presets? There are some high-end PC cards for you.

Last edited:

Stuart360

An obvious point of view. Let's wait for this Ubisoft "4k" in consoles.

For me it's DRS in both of them. Do you want native 4k 60fps very high presets? There are some high-end PC cards for you.

Thats a good thing though. Would you rather have native 4k/30, or dynamic 4k/60?. I'm sure most poeple would pick the second option.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Proposal: now that sony has come forward with the information that their games will be upscaled to 4k, and we're finding out series x games will also be upscaled to 4k, how about we start talking about the actual games instead of how many pixels the game engine renders before it's thrown into the upscaler?

You must be new here. Just kidding, you're right. We should talk more about the kind of games or game evolutions this new tech could bring us. It should go in a different thread though.

You are welcome to create a thread discussing gameplay and other non graphics-related topics. :)

Blue Spring

I doubt that... often times what people call "console war rhetoric" is actually just someone keeping the record straight, which is really hard sometimes on this forum. as someone who owns every current and last gen system (among others) and has grudges with all of them and favorites from each manufacturer as well as systems of each that I don't like I will coitize them all and cheer all of them on from time to time, so in isolation that might also come across as console waring...

also my giant distaste for everything Naughty Dog stands for will often be seen as that by Sony fanboys, even tho I hate 343i even more for fucking up Halo to an almost unsalvageable state.

a lot of people will only look at one post or one argument and then see it as something it isn't
Well you can continue feeling like you are totally free from hypocrisy cause Im too lazy to look for quotes. But you should hold on for a moment, look at your first sentence and then think how you called my post console warring before sitting on the high horse and telling me how Im wrong.

Top Bottom