• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Legions Upscaled 4k on XSX

I said these consoles were weak when they were released. All you had to do was compare them to the 2080Ti. And that card wasn't cutting the mustard on a lot games at 4k.

You should tell that to the PC guys struggling to get a smooth, consistent framerate with RT enabled at 1080p with a 3000 series GPU lol...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

This pc he brags about playing games in 4k. How can I break the news to him?
If he has base config then, easily:
> AMD® Radeon™ RX 5300 3GB GDDR6 (3GB framebuffer is like Windows 10 amount of VRAM occupied, well it's 1GB...anyway)
Is like iGPU level GPU.

timmyp53

You should tell that to the PC guys struggling to get a smooth, consistent framerate with RT enabled at 1080p with a 3000 series GPU lol...
I'm honestly waiting for Quantum computing myself.

Nah but in all seriousness. This is insignificant tbh. We are in an era of image reconstruction for pc and console.

Banned
Well you can continue feeling like you are totally free from hypocrisy cause Im too lazy to look for quotes. But you should hold on for a moment, look at your first sentence and then think how you called my post console warring before sitting on the high horse and telling me how Im wrong.

like I said, everyone is hypocritical from time to time, and with all the fucking console warring going on on here it is really easy to dismiss something as just some fanboy trying to push some agenda, and I did that too apparently with your post. it sucks, but it's hard to see through the fog some times so I get why you would have had the same impression.
all I can do is being as consistent with my views as possible, and I think I am pretty consistent.

Last edited:
Proposal: now that sony has come forward with the information that their games will be upscaled to 4k, and we're finding out series x games will also be upscaled to 4k, how about we start talking about the actual games instead of how many pixels the game engine renders before it's thrown into the upscaler?

tenor.gif

You’re gonna play the games? But pixel counting is much more fun.

Last edited:

onQ123

For the record have we seen any PS5 games drop resolution for Ray-Tracing? I see a few dynamic 4K 60fps modes for higher frame rates but do we have anything confirmed to lower the resolution from 4K when Ray-Tracing is on?

Banned
For the record have we seen any PS5 games drop resolution for Ray-Tracing? I see a few dynamic 4K 60fps modes for higher frame rates but do we have anything confirmed to lower the resolution from 4K when Ray-Tracing is on?

Spider-Man is dynamic as far as I know

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
he said the framerate was consistent not the resolution lmao

Exactly. He also didn't say native.

Ppl are really, really hung up on labels, specs.

Dat Watch Dogs PS5 thread tho....lol. Life comes at you fast. 😉

Last edited:

Barakov

Yup. I definitely jumped on the 4k bandwagon too soon. I should've just bought a new monitor with a higher refresh rate for when I play on consoles.

Banned
Yup. I definitely jumped on the 4k bandwagon too soon. I should've just bought a new monitor with a higher refresh rate for when I play on consoles.

nah 4K for TVs is a must nowadays IMO, it is worth it to get rid of the screendoor effect alone... on bigger screens at 1080p you can literally freaking count the pixels even at normal viewing distances.
4K gives you a really clean looking image even if it is not native, we reached a pixel density that makes scaling less obvious now IMO.

Krisprolls

Banned

Legion runs pretty terrible on latest Nvidia GPUs too, it's just poorly optimized and goes too far on RT. Doesn't mean anything for the rest of the games. Multiple games will be reconstructed 4K/60 from 1800p+ on PS5 and XSX.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I think most games will be in the 1620p-4k range. WatchDogs is just super demanding, even for high end PC's.

Banned
I think most games will be in the 1620p-4k range. WatchDogs is just super demanding, even for high end PC's.

yeah and that.
this game really is like Ubisoft's raytracing tech demo. it is impressive but it comes at a cost (and even its predecessors didn't run that well on PCs at the time... like getting WD2 up to 60fps was a real challenge back when it released, so that engine is demanding)

Last edited:

FrankWza

f that. Uhd with Dolby vision is crazy. I’ve watched Dunkirk like 5 times. That’s not an 5 time rewatch movie.

Krisprolls

Banned
What did I miss? Seriously. Both consoles upscaling 4K on different multiplats or both on same 2 games?

Xbox fans making fun of "upscaled 4K" on PS5 AC:V, then the news came that WD:Legion on XSX is reconstructed 4K too, but from 1440p (according to DF / Alex), which is kinda low res. Then the thread went strangely quiet and some people disappeared.

Jokes aside, it's perfectly normal both consoles run games at reconstructed 4K, native 4K would be a dumb use of power budget. 1440p is a bit low as a native res, but Legion itself seems poorly optimized, the game runs bad even on the best PC GPUs. Too much RT tanks the framerate fast.

Last edited:

timmyp53

f that. Uhd with Dolby vision is crazy. I’ve watched Dunkirk like 5 times. That’s not an 5 time rewatch movie.
Yeah watching movies in HDR10+ in 4K is reason enough to get a new screen but then again I always get the best when it comes to home theater stuff. My friend literally watches stuff on a 720p laptop.

Unoptimized game. Not sure how they tanked performance from WD2 this bad. Without RT should be better, but given how the game is being reviewed, I’m not surprised at all.

Banned
That is the 60fps mode I thought the 30fps mode was 4K 30fps.

pretty sure both are dynamic just that one has RT and one doesn't. we also don't have a huge amount of examples for now, we saw exactly 3 games running with RT on a PS5 (Spider-Man, Godfall and Ratchet) and a few on Xbox (that one spaceship game... Bright Memory Infinite, that one shooter with the robots and now Watch Dogs), but most of them not with lot of info or good in-depth videos... mostly trailers and fast cut or highly choreographed gameplay.

it's hard to tell still how much impact RT will have on performance in the long run
especially since this is the first wave of games and developers will try to implement some performance saving tricks in later games I bet. one would be to make a seamless SSR and RT reflection blend that reduces strain for reflecting stuff that is already n screen space anyways.

Last edited:
I said these consoles were weak when they were released. All you had to do was compare them to the 2080Ti. And that card wasn't cutting the mustard on a lot games at 4k.
Oh please, weak compared to what? we all know Series X/PS5 are far, far more powerful than current generation consoles, which is what matters the most. Not to mention, if you look at Steam hardware statistics, PS5/Series X are more powerful than the vast majority of users have to begin with. Don't let that stop you from comparing $400/$500 consoles to just a GPU that costs over a grand, though.

Edit: Also, Ubisoft is not known for their optimization.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Xbox fans making fun of "upscaled 4K" on PS5 AC:V, then the news came that WD:Legion on XSX is reconstructed 4K too, but from 1440p (according to DF / Alex), which is kinda low res. Then the thread went strangely quiet and some people disappeared.
I just spent 5mins skimming over that thread, and i didnt really see many, or any actually, Xbox fans taking the piss out of PS5. Some of you really have a paranoia about Xbox fans.
Ironically there is much more console warz posts in this thread, compared to that thread.

Traxtech

Yeah watching movies in HDR10+ in 4K is reason enough to get a new screen but then again I always get the best when it comes to home theater stuff. My friend literally watches stuff on a 720p laptop.

I wish I could be that guy watching 720p on shit laptop speakers. If I'm not watching it on my oled and my 3 way studio monitor setup it just feels wrong. I'm envious of people like that because I'd like to enjoy it regardless of what I'm viewing it on or hearing it on, guess I'm spoilt

onQ123

pretty sure both are dynamic just that one has RT and one doesn't

Spider-Man: Miles Morales will be running at a dynamic 4K 60FPS on "Performance Mode", where the 'dynamic 4K' means we're looking at it rendering at a lower resolution and being upscaled. But then there will be "Fidelity Mode" that will offer true native 4K but with ray tracing and at just 30FPS.

Where you see that? All the vids I've seen, max settings at real 4k, has the game running between 45-70. I haven't watched any at 1080p, but I find it hard to believe they'd struggle at that resolution.

FrankWza

Yeah totally. I went to the movies last week so I could see tenet in imax for the experience. Each their own

Krisprolls

Banned
Where you see that? All the vids I've seen, max settings at real 4k, has the game running between 45-70. I haven't watched any at 1080p, but I find it hard to believe they'd struggle at that resolution.

Go to the Legion performance thread, you'll see for yourself. Nobody runs that at Native 4K / 70 lol, unless maybe with RT off.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Some gamers like to be in the middle of the chaos specially when that chaos is all about stupid consoles war. I’ll say it again just like the other thread, at the end of the day no body gives a shit because the pic quality is already high and everyone will enjoy and everyone will have no idea if it’s Native 4K or DY4K so kindly have a nice day

Last edited:

Why do people compare this game's resolution to that in AC Valhalla, when the whole point of what Alex said is how expensive RT is?

Tom Warren doesn't hit 60fps at 1440p on an RTX 3090

Tripolygon

Banned
Let go of every idea of native 4K. Yes there will be native 4K games but we are moving from native rendering to temporal upsampling methods that can be indistinguishable from the real thing. Look at how PC gamers have taken to DLSS. Its time to move forward.

Banned
Tom Warren doesn't hit 60fps at 1440p on an RTX 3090

to be fair, we don't know his rig.
maybe his card is held back by issues with other components. it could hit thermal limits or power limits due to a bad case or a bad power supply.
or maybe he is running a Zen 1000 series CPU lol

could also be that he built it himself and was dumb enough to stick that thing into an x8 slot lol (I MEAN... he works for The Verge after all lol, maybe he used their great tutorial to built his PC :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I think reconstruction is the way to go if they are going to push RT. However, we need a 60FPS option.

Krisprolls

Banned
Why do people compare this game's resolution to that in AC Valhalla, when the whole point of what Alex said is how expensive RT is?

Comparisons will come soon enough, but I must say it was pretty funny seeing some fans trying to flex native 4k, only to get the news of the 1440p native res on their platform (so not even half the pixel count of native 4K). That was instant karma.

At some point comparison videos will pop and all this stupidity should stop. Those platforms are very similar and no amount of faerie dust will change that. Multiplatform will run and play the same on both, whatever fans want.

If you like Sony exclusives like apparently most people do, go PS5, and if you prefer cheap Gamepass and small AA games (and you don't have a PC), go XSX, but performance difference between both platforms will never be a factor, this era ended long ago. Both will play the multiplatform games the same and both pretty well, if only due to diminishing returns and very similar architectures.

As usual though, Sony exclusives should look a lot better than anything else, not only because of talent and budget, but because they have to run and optimize the game only on 1 platform (PS5), vs dozens for MS (XSX, XSS, any PC).

Last edited:
to be fair, we don't know his rig.
maybe his card is held back by issues with other components. it could hit thermal limits or power limits due to a bad case or a bad power supply.
or maybe he is running a Zen 1000 series CPU lol

could also be that he built it himself and was dumb enough to stick that thing into an x8 slot lol (I MEAN... he works for The Verge after all lol, maybe he used their great tutorial to built his PC :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

We do know his rig though :messenger_winking:

58v4T9n.jpg

I mean, ultimately, a 36tflop GPU being unable to hit 60fps at 1440p tells me the game is horribly unoptimised, that's what Alex meant when he said pigs aren't flying

Stuart360

There is a vid in this thread i belive, showing the 2080ti at around 25fps at 1440p/30 with RT on

Aladin

Unoptimised game ? Why compare it to spiderman MM? Watch Dogs looks to be having better graphics, has more interactive elements driving, stealth, complex AI, shooting and hand combat and what not.

Spider MM looks to be AA when compared to WatchDogs, Look at the simplistic boxy designs of exterior environment, Look at simplistic hollow interiors of buildings, Exclusively just flying and hand combating. Everything from Graphics & AI to mechanics, it is much simpler in these titles.

Last edited:
Don't feed the PC troll. PS5 certainly doesn't look weak in Demon's Souls trailer, but recent Nvidia GPU sure do when Legion often runs around 25 fps on recent PCs which cost $2000+ (see Legion PC performance thread).
I don't get it. Demon's souls looks ok, nothing extraordinary. The backgrounds are fixated and there aren't almost any characters on screen. There are like 2 characters at a time, why people are praising it so much? The fucking game is almost empty, it actually should look a lot better taking into account there's almost nothing going on. Ratchet on the hand does look impressive, looks way better than demon's souls.

Top Bottom