• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

I dont know anything about P4, but maybe that´s even best for what im going to say, but...many of those ads, as stylistic as they may be, dont really tell me anything about the game. Im mainly speaking of those ads that feature a TV and nothing else. Not badmouthing or anything, but would you really consider these great for what they´re supposed to be? Just wondering.

Flek

Banned
hhmm if a ad makes you curious what everything its about and you are willing to get informed its a god ad ;P

Like "ehhh a tv? wtf is this .. ringu or some kind of asian movie? let me check the webpage...oh snaaap do want ;P"

Danielsan

AyuFanatic86 said:
I dont know anything about P4, but maybe that´s even best for what im going to say, but...many of those ads, as stylistic as they may be, dont really tell me anything about the game. Im mainly speaking of those ads that feature a TV and nothing else. Not badmouthing or anything, but would you really consider these great for what they´re supposed to be? Just wondering.
Personally these are the kinds of ads that get to me. If I see a standard ad I usually just skip past it. Ads should catch your attention and make you curious.

Btw this thread is fantastic, especially loving all the stylish P4 ads.
They actually do their job because I now want to buy and play P4. :lol

AyuFanatic86 said:

This is a great point. A lot of these, especially of the P4 group, are horrible as far as advertisements go. That said, they are great for being like a wallpaper or art-book cover. I don't really mind it that much, but it is a very good point.

Personally I'd like to see more ad-like entries, but then again my degree is in business and marketing so I probably find advertising more interesting than most :lol

nny

I didn't think much of the idea, so I never checked this thread before...wow, I stand corrected. Great stuff, congrats.

Lakupo

timetokill said:
This is a great point. A lot of these, especially of the P4 group, are horrible as far as advertisements go. That said, they are great for being like a wallpaper or art-book cover. I don't really mind it that much, but it is a very good point.

Personally I'd like to see more ad-like entries, but then again my degree is in business and marketing so I probably find advertising more interesting than most :lol

You're not the only one into advertising, but it comes down to a difference of philosophy. A lot of the P4 group (and a few notable entries of the MM9 group) are viral marketing type ads. They're enigmatic on purpose to grab your attention and make you wonder "What's that about?" An ad that reads like the back of the box tends to be basic information wrapped up in empty hype speak. Basic information is everywhere on the internet, just waiting for interested eyes. Grabbing that interest is the higher priority of advertising in this day and age.

Danielsan

Lakupo said:
You're not the only one into advertising, but it comes down to a difference of philosophy. A lot of the P4 group (and a few notable entries of the MM9 group) are viral marketing type ads. They're enigmatic on purpose to grab your attention and make you wonder "What's that about?" An ad that reads like the back of the box tends to be basic information wrapped up in empty hype speak. Basic information is everywhere on the internet, just waiting for interested eyes. Grabbing that interest is the higher priority of advertising in this day and age.
Thank you. I wanted to write something in response but you already said everything I wanted to say.

DogWelder

ZephyrFate said:
This is one of the best promotional ads I've seen done for any game. You should be hired by Atlus. :O

Could anyone make a 1440x900 version of this pic? I'd LOVE to have it as my wallpaper.
Wow, that is some high praise! I really appreciate it.

As for the wallpaper, I tried, but I couldn't do it without severely distorting the image; the stock images I used are just too small, unfortunately...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Lakupo nailed it, and throw my name in there with a background in big-C Communications (I'm graduated in the advert/PR side of the triangle). While Comm is always three tiered process (advertising, marketing, public relations), we need to be able to recognize the purpose of what we're spending our money on.

Because timetokill's concern is strictly a marketing one; "how much is it?, when is it on sale? what does it do?", his goal is clearly identifying the product at hand. But the best advertisers never have to answer any of those questions, because the goal isn't to define the product, the goal is to define the lifestyle and get the audience to buy into it.

If we know our audience and know it well, they will do the work for us. We sell them an image, they investigate further and tell us whether they want to be a part of it.

If I reduced it to a stomach-punch one-liner, it would be:
Marketing vs. Advertising:: Walmart Glossy Ads vs. Abercrombie's Teenage-Sex Posters

Both do their job (and well), but both clearly have different goals -- and vastly different audiences. Now ask yourself: "who is our audience?"

The answer depends on the game, but for most of our purposes:
Males 12-35, extraordinarily tech savvy and entrenched in popular culture, but nearly oblivious to standard marketing. Lifestyle and Viral marketing is most effective for this group. Show them what they want and they will do the rest.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1cesc said:
Tyvm. :D

Better without? Or the colour?

I actually just meant the logo itself, not the way you used it. It's just an awful logo that is slightly distorted. Looks like something that people not qualified to post in this thread would come up with.

Spoo

I'm pretty fucking excited to see the stuff people are putting together for Mirror's Edge. I just finished off my entry, and it was super fun to do. :D

AniHawk

Spoo said:
I'm pretty fucking excited to see the stuff people are putting together for Mirror's Edge. I just finished off my entry, and it was super fun to do. :D

You know, it was my favorite game of 2008, but I can't think of a single damn thing I can do with this game. I assume a lot of people are gonna go with some sort of mirror in their ads. And others will use solid red and white. I just can't nail down a concept (even with the other ones, as bad as they are, I had an idea of what to do) and it's driving me nuts.

painey

I had so many ideas for Mirrors Edge but I was limited to what I could actually get my hands on. I was gunna take a real life photo and colour it in with runners vision, but I couldnt find anything near me that would translate into a good ME level, but im pretty happy with what I have decided on :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AniHawk said:
You know, it was my favorite game of 2008, but I can't think of a single damn thing I can do with this game. I assume a lot of people are gonna go with some sort of mirror in their ads. And others will use solid red and white. I just can't nail down a concept (even with the other ones, as bad as they are, I had an idea of what to do) and it's driving me nuts.

How bout a POV picture of someone looking down at the space in between two buildings? Sort of a Dont Look Down angle.

I'm just throwing that out there cause I dont currently have access to PS and I dislike Paint...so if someone wants to take that idea and run with it, I was happy to help

Spoo

AniHawk said:

It was *really* hard to come up with something decent. I'll PM you a link of what I came up with -- basically, though, I went through red and white, and all of that, and wasn't at ALL happy. Then, I finally found something that imo wraps the entire experience. Maybe it doesn't, but I hope it works out.

AniHawk

HK-47 said:
How bout a POV picture of someone looking down at the space in between two buildings? Sort of a Dont Look Down angle.

Actually I was thinking of a "Don't Look Down" thing using just solid colors to put the fear of heights in people, but I'm not very talented (or imaginative).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AniHawk said:
Actually I was thinking of a "Don't Look Down" thing using just solid colors to put the fear of heights in people, but I'm not very talented (or imaginative).

Well I was thinking of doing a real life picture of that sort of POV, preferably with the feet showing and then the game info on a black background below the picture. Sorta like a mag ad. But like I said, I dont have access to PS.

AniHawk

HK-47 said:
Well I was thinking of doing a real life picture of that sort of POV, preferably with the feet showing and then the game info on a black background below the picture. Sorta like a mag ad. But like I said, I dont have access to PS.

I think I understand what you mean now. The mental image I get is pretty interesting.

this thread is awesome. anyways, I don't have the time to make it, but have some kind of concept for persona 4 ads. how about showing calendar or or daily planner filled with dating schedule. followed with some tag line like 'wouldn't you want to play as this guy' or something. seems not a lot of people here try to market the dating sims part of the game.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I can't wait to get home from work, I actually have (what I think is) a good idea for one for Mirror's Edge, but I'm stuck here for now.

Lakupo said:

I'm very well familiar with viral marketing. Many of these wouldn't cut it as far as that goes. Many of these assume familiarity with the product on some level, and don't engage the viewer to ask more about it, nor do they communicate what the product could conceivably be "about."

Additionally, when you're wanting to market in a viral manner, you often don't rely on traditional advertising methods, in this case magazine ads.

I'm not arguing against using viral marketing as a backing for the ads people are putting up. I'm saying that I think a lot of people aren't starting from the starting point they should be, which is to ask what the message is they are trying to convey. Some of these seem like they're starting from making a visually appealing image and then throwing the message or tagline on top. Of course, this could be due to unfamiliarity with the product, too (some people have noted this). But there's a line between something that would be appealing to current fans and something that would draw outsiders in.

Obviously we can differ in opinions on that last point, about the effectiveness of the ad. :D

PantherLotus said:
Lakupo nailed it, and throw my name in there with a background in big-C Communications (I'm graduated in the advert/PR side of the triangle). While Comm is always three tiered process (advertising, marketing, public relations), we need to be able to recognize the purpose of what we're spending our money on.

Because timetokill's concern is strictly a marketing one; "how much is it?, when is it on sale? what does it do?", his goal is clearly identifying the product at hand. But the best advertisers never have to answer any of those questions, because the goal isn't to define the product, the goal is to define the lifestyle and get the audience to buy into it.

If we know our audience and know it well, they will do the work for us. We sell them an image, they investigate further and tell us whether they want to be a part of it.

If I reduced it to a stomach-punch one-liner, it would be:
Marketing vs. Advertising:: Walmart Glossy Ads vs. Abercrombie's Teenage-Sex Posters

Both do their job (and well), but both clearly have different goals -- and vastly different audiences. Now ask yourself: "who is our audience?"

The answer depends on the game, but for most of our purposes:
Males 12-35, extraordinarily tech savvy and entrenched in popular culture, but nearly oblivious to standard marketing. Lifestyle and Viral marketing is most effective for this group. Show them what they want and they will do the rest.

My concern is more that these are stated to be magazine ads. We can assume we know the audience based on the magazine they would be in -- most of them would be in a gaming magazine or in a Maxim or whatever (based on the games chosen so far -- maybe an anime magazine for Persona 4, if I were running things). But beyond this, I'm not arguing that we should be putting screenshots on every page with a list of features, how much, etc. I'm saying that I think a lot of these ads would be ineffective as either direct, viral, or other types of marketing. I'm offering constructive criticism.

You're right that lifestyle marketing can be very effective to young males -- but we haven't seen many (if any at all) of those yet. Part of that is because games haven't traditionally been sold in a lifestyle method as much as a self-image method. The lifestyle advertising of Nintendo's marketing are far different from the "extreme" ads we saw a lot of in the 80's and 90's, and they accomplish different things. But from what I've seen, I don't know how effectively you could defend more than maybe one or two of these as being "lifestyle" ads.

Obviously audience is a huge deal. I think the Megaman ads produced were far more effective even on this level. There were a lot of nods to nostalgia that were communicated very effectively. Persona obviously doesn't have nostalgia going for it. Overall, actually, I think Persona is a pretty tough product to market because it's very niche. In general I don't know that I would make magazine ads for it at all because I'd imagine with a game like that, your marketing budget is pretty limited and I think there are probably better ways to access that market. Though if I was going to make a magazine ad for it, I'd probably put it in an anime magazine.

But beyond just identifying the audience, though, is the question of what the audience wants, what their habits are, etc. How is this product going to meet those needs? Our answers to those questions don't need to be spelled out on the page but they should be informing the designs of the ads themselves. With the US Persona 4 audience we can probably assume that they are into Japanese culture at least to some degree, are probably web-savvy, and so forth. A web address, at the very least, should be appearing on more of these ads, instead of just the logos of who makes the game. Maybe a puzzle or something clearly Japanese on the page to grab their attention. If you wanted to make it viral, do something that grabs their attention and invites them to ask more instead of just hoping the visual quality does it. Maybe a plane ticket to Japan is on the page, with the address for Persona 4 or a specialized viral website address there. Something that plays to the Persona 4's audience's appetite for Japanese things. These people probably would love a trip to Japan, and have thought about what it would be like to go to school in Japan when they're watching an anime on the subject. Maybe the page has a plane ticket or a train ticket or something, and a tag of, "Congratulations on your new transfer" or something. I imagine if I asked my girlfriend more about the game then I could get more information to help me in that regard. Maybe another ad is a ad for Junes, done in a realistic style, but something seems a little off -- again, here the specialized viral website ("www.shopjunes.com" or similar) would go a long way.

All in all this is just a bunch of constructive criticism :) I had my doubts about the thread coming in, but I have been really impressed overall, but I think there's room for improvement as well, and I hope that nobody is taking it as though I'm saying what people have done here is trash. It's all awesome, seriously!! Just some suggestions.

Anyway I don't want to derail the thread further, so maybe if people want to discuss this more we can do it in PM?

Red Scarlet

The TV is a central plot point to the game, that's how and why using a TV works for the ads. Say as many big paragraphs you want, but if you played the game, you'd know exactly why so many people are using a TV in their creations. And if you haven't played it, and you see all these ads that are using a TV, it should make you curious as to why.

Let's play L4D ttk.

edit: I have no design ability, but I was hoping/waiting for someone to make a P4 ad ripping off the Poltergeist movie poster, with "They're Heeeeeeeeeeere" and all that, and a picture of Teddie inside the tv or something. Oh well.

TheGOHN

HK-47 said:
Cant wait for the ME ads.

2u71yts.jpg

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
TheGOHN said:
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/venom1384/MEadd-1.jpg

That literally hurts my eyes.

The contrast between the bright red and dark red and the white/gray on my monitor is causing eyestrain :/

AniHawk

Bah. I'm just gonna do the bad, generic thing and not put a whole lot of work into it. Maybe it'll jar something loose later.

So basically it's like how I write my school papers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished my first contribution to this thread. Hey, it's nothing special, but I'm proud of it:

mirrorsedge8.jpg

Firestorm

My biggest problem with a lot of the ads is that the bar a lot of people are using at the bottom looks completely out of place with regards to the rest of the ad. It's something that's hard to get right, but play around with some colours and placements until you see something consistent and not as jarring to the eyes!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
PantherLotus said:
http://images.redial.net/mirroredge-destination.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
I was going to do something very similar but couldn't think of a good way of composing it. Well done. :)

Top Bottom