• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese Magazine Dirty News (Squeenix loves PSP, EGM was right!)

Deku

Banned
EGM right again, and a must buy for me. But not the full remakes I was hoping for, perhaps they were moved over to the DS after FFIII?

Surreal

TTP said:
I'm honestly losing track of all these FFs to the point that I dont really care anymore.

Just give me XIII and Versus. That's all I want Square. The FF brand name isn't going to be worth shit by the PS4 if you keep doing this.

Jammy

Banned
Not only is this a port of the GBA game, but it's only HALF of the GBA game!

Horrible. And Square-Enix wonders why their games don't sell well on PSP.

Amir0x

Banned
Dali said:
Yeah, I'm trying to think of a good original IP they've released lately. A little help here.

A WONDERFUL WORLD (pre-supposin' it's good in advance due to how awesome it seems)

Dali said:
Yeah, I'm trying to think of a good original IP they've released lately. A little help here.

Hum....some people are partial to Kingdom Hearts...I mean, mainly me and some other guy who goes here. But again, that's not really original.

edit: ami, yeah

Zen

Banned
I like Balthier as much as the next person but altering the story of Final Fantasy tactics to include him in it is just lame.

Including him as a sort of chewbacca to Ramza is just retarded. It's disrespectful to the original entirely, especially since he's blatantly there just to generate sales. Balthier doesn't even belong in that time period of Ivalice anyway.

I'd be fine with Balthier being a secret character like Cloud; heck I'd be fine if they made it very easy to get Balthier relatively early on and made it somewhat obvious as to how you get him. If you did have him he would be included in your cutscenes... but to just stick him in there is like... some parallel I can't think of at the moment.

If they had announced a bunch of optional characters from prior and upcoming FF games, I'd be really excited, but this is just cheap and lazy.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
uh Square is still an awesome company, just because they are treating the PSP like crap. doesnt mean they suddenly suck.

Bebpo

Banned
Dali said:

Eh...FFXII and KH2 were hyped, took forever to develop, but were quality titles in the end even if they weren't original.

The problem is that since FFXII came out Square Enix doesn't have anything of that calibur anywhere in the near future besides DQIX. They need to juice up their 2007 schedule with more AAA titles that can get magazine covers and huge hype like FF games used to.

Doctor_No

omg rite said:
Do you have a GBA or PS1 or.. WonderSwan? :p

Yes. . :(

I even purchased the WonderSwan for the FF remake (also for Romancing Saga)

I bought far too many Final Fantasy remakes, and I'll likely buy this one because I'm a sucker. But I wish they would put this much work in the other FFs. . .

WSFF.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
nah SquareEnix really sucks these days, with or without PSP. I mean, they may occasionally release an FFXII... but mostly it's filled with crap like FFIII and Samurai Musashi Legends. Mostly. I guess DQ8 can be counted too as a good title.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Error2k4 said:
uh Square is still an awesome company, just because they are treating the PSP like crap. doesnt mean they suddenly suck.
This is astonishing after all the positive reactions to FFXIII and FFvXIII in last week's thread.

Bebpo said:
Eh...FFXII and KH2 were hyped, took forever to develop, but were quality titles in the end even if they weren't original.

The problem is that since FFXII came out Square Enix doesn't have anything of that calibur anywhere in the near future besides DQIX. They need to juice up their 2007 schedule with more AAA titles that can get magazine covers and huge hype like FF games used to.

Well what do you suggest? I'd say the thing they're mainly focusing on right now is their handheld department until those big gun franchises are ready to be shown off again. It's not really their fault, and at this point they can't really bring out anything new for this year that we didn't already know of.

Unless the FFVII remake is announced.

Pellham

Banned
Amir0x said:
nah SquareEnix really sucks these days, with or without PSP. I mean, they may occasionally release an FFXII... but mostly it's filled with crap like FFIII and Samurai Musashi Legends. Mostly. I guess DQ8 can be counted too as a good title.

FFIII isn't crap. At the very least it's superior to a good majority of the FF games to date.

Seriously though, SE should be focusing on more awesome remakes like FFIII for the DS and not this straight port crap to PSP. While they're at it, bring FFTLW to the DS instead. They'd make more monies anyway.

Amir0x

Banned
jj984jj said:
This is astonishing after all the positive reactions to FFXIII and FFvXIII in last week's thread.

For the record, my reactions to FFXIII have been "damn that looks lame." So no change of mind for me.

Pellham said:
FFIII isn't crap. At the very least it's superior to a good majority of the FF games to date.

It's an ugly, old-school FF with most of the same problems all old-school FFs had (NES-era, anyway)... and none of them flattering. I mean if you're a nostalgia freak or like punishment - and we each do, in our own way - maybe there's a silver lining but not for me.

Chris Michael said:
Seriously though, SE should be focusing on more awesome remakes like FFIII for the DS and not this straight port crap to PSP. While they're at it, bring FFTLW to the DS instead. They'd make more monies anyway.

QFMFT!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dali said:
Because good games suck if they're not new IPs?

Deku

Banned
My personal opinion, purely as an RPG FFIII remake is superior to FFXII. No grand storylines but it's a better RPG.

edit: I am confused tho why S-E is re-porting FF1 and 2 again, and separately on the PSP of all the games they have. Maybe there's more coming but perhaps its a contractual thing that they have to put X number of FF branded games on the PSP and they chose the easiest way out.

Haunted

So... with the PSP getting GBA ports, and the Wii getting PSP ports... FFI Remake on Wii in 2008? :lol

God, really. For every good effort S-E makes, there's one shitty spin-off and two lacklustre remakes. *sigh*

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:
For the record, my reactions to FFXIII have been "damn that looks lame." So no change of mind for me.

It's an ugly, old-school FF with most of the same problems all old-school FFs (NES-era, anyway) had... and none of them flattering.
Yeah I know you're not like that Amir0x.

Link316 said:
haha! called it :D

this means III to IX will eventually find its way to the PSP too :)
Ugh, Link316 jumping to conclusions that benefit Sony once again!

*reminds him-self to stay out of all FFIII related topics on GFAQs from now on*

Dali

BrandNew said:
Hum....some people are partial to Kingdom Hearts...I mean, mainly me and some other guy who goes here. But again, that's not really original.

edit: ami, yeah

Yeah KH is great, but I was thinking more along the lines of something totally new, like ami's suggestion. They resurrected Musashi and that was pretty mediocre. They resurrected Mana, and all reports point to suckage. I probably love The Bouncer more than a person should, but it is a subpar game. I'm starting to wonder if the only PS2 games they've made that are actually good are old franchise games. I guess KH isn't that old of a franchise, so that can count as sqeenix's new IP that was a success... I guess.

Amir0x

Banned
Dali said:
Yeah KH is great, but I was thinking more along the lines of something totally new, like ami's suggestion. They resurrected Musashi and that was pretty mediocre. They resurrected Mana, and all reports point to suckage. I probably love The Bouncer more than a person should, but it is a subpar game. I'm starting to wonder if the only PS2 games they've made that are actually good are old franchise games. I guess KH isn't that old of a franchise, so that can count as sqeenix's new IP that was a success... I guess.

Kingdom Hearts is such a borderline game for me. I recognize it really, really sucks as a game... but there's just such a 'guilty pleasure core.' Damned if I know why, maybe the last vestiges of my manchildness, but when I see Goofy talking to Steamboat Pete I just get giddy! Which I subconsciously try to resist, for fear of becoming a ManaByte (sorry ManaByte), but I cannot!

I put it in the center between suck and good

Boy, is my face red - I equated the SE-PSP rumors to the Nintendo going third party rumors!

Amir0x said:
how can we know if they put any effort toward that... we haven't even really seen it!

Well, here's hoping it's good. Without laws.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Amir0x said:
Romancing SaGa totally redeems Square in my eyes

now where is my new SaGa? :mad:

Amir0x

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
Well, here's hoping it's good. Without laws.

I liked laws... conceptually. I did not like laws... in execution. I actually think that aspect is still salvageable.

Bring back perm deaths. Kill territories (or if you must keep them, make attacking enemies MUCH harder). Balance classes, or cut some of the unnecessary ones.

Error2k4 said:
Romancing SaGa totally redeems Square in my eyes

Oh, I forgot about Romancing SaGa... the only SaGa game I ever liked. That's true, that was a good one.

jman2050

jj984jj said:
Ugh, Link316 jumping to conclusions that benefit Sony once again!

*reminds him-self to stay out of all FFIII related topics on GFAQs from now on*

Anybody who has visited the GFaqs next-gen forum at least once in their life (and boy, do I regret it) knows to stay away from Link316.

Dali

RevenantKioku said:
Because good games suck if they're not new IPs?

Talk about reading too much into a statement. I'm not suggesting that, but when you whore your IP's people get tired of it and the series gets stale. Instead of Dirge, they could have released a totally original shooter, with no ties to FF. New characters. New world. Zero expectations. Instead they whored FF7.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
You forgot Valkyrie Profile too.

what about Valkyrie Profile? Silmeria, you mean? Yeah, I guess that's good too. Just recently, they did have a block of good games... Romancing SaGa, Final Fantasy XII, Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria and Dragon Quest VIII (I suppose). If you count all them together, it seems like they're back a bit, but they make SOOOOO MUCH SHIT in between it's hard to notice the quality blip :p

Amir0x said:
what about Valkyrie Profile? Silmeria, you mean? Yeah, I guess that's good too. Just recently, they did have a block of good games... Romancing SaGa, Final Fantasy XII, Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria and Dragon Quest VIII (I suppose). If you count all them together, it seems like they're back a bit, but they make SOOOOO MUCH SHIT in between it's hard to notice the quality blip :p

Who judges a company/games system/anything by the worst they produce, instead of the best?

I think a problem (for you) right now, is that SE is shifting a lot of support to the DS. They also enjoy pushing their 3D muscles, and we all know your opinion on DS 3D.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Chocobo and DQMJ rox, so all hope is not lost for Squeenix. Can't blame a company for putting out stuff that will sell. I know I'll buy the PSP remakes.

Top Bottom