• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What a crazy Era to be alive - Talk about that 'other forum'

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinKeene

Banned
Disclaimer: This is an attempt to both satisfy the obvious need of many users to talk about the forum called 'Resetera', as well as to keep such talk confined to one place, because really: Let's not bring them into every thread, especially when there's so much else to talk about in the Kingdom Come-thread (to give one example). :)

Not talking about Resetera is not really an option for many though, because its creation is directly tied to NeoGAF. How that happened is sorta well documented at this point.

So let's get this thread started. Talk about Resetera, show us threads that remind us what we don't want here, or simply tell your experience with it.

*snip*

Two hilarious threads to enjoy in all their crazyness:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ki...t-week-see-mod-edit.24879/page-7#post-4804585

Even ignoring the rest of the thread (which contains entertainment, too), the way positive feedback towards Varvra's person is met with bans, then causing the thread to get locked is pure insanity.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/da...sted-development-cast-stands-by-tambor.24890/

So apparently Jeffrey Tambor might have behaved somewhat inappropriately (no proof of that, though), and in classic #metoo-fashion, the mob has spoken: Him, David Cross, and all of Arrested Development are now worse than Hitler for standing by his side. Watching the upcoming 5th season now makes you a bad person, so that's taboo, too.

As I end most of my encounters with that forum: wow

NovumAngel

Banned
I mean you could always just try and steer the thread back on-topic instead or ignore it?
This thread comes off as a little childish imo.

Typhares

They obviously have a lot of good posters there since a lot of people moved because their community moved but I keep seeing the same names in the 'political' threads. Some names I used to see here when I was just lurking, too scared to participate.
The main issue really is the moderation being completely one sided, at least the moderation is somewhat transparent and they are proud to display their bias.
So if you stay there you know what to expect but to be honest I still like the slower pace here, I cannot handle topics getting 50 pages in a day.
I get some people have a lot of free time but for example one user having almost 11000 posts in 4 months is crazy to me.

Sinfamy

Replied to a poster who was saying Bernie Sanders supports are essentially puppets of the alt-right.
ERA is an echo chamber of epic proportions.

So according to the first thread linked, saying "Person X is good at Y." means you condone any and all bad things they have either done or believe in. And people balk at the idea that nuance is being lost in online discourse.

Edit: Actually it's worse than that, I misread. Saying that is considered an active form of defense of those views or actions. So yeah, if you think racist game designer made a good game, you actively support and advocate for racism according to resetera.

Last edited:

Ragnaroz

Yeah, reading that KCD thread I saw a lot more reasonable people than loons. Some mods are bonkers insane, though, but again, not all of them.

TTOOLL

I personally think that we are better off just letting that place die it's own inevitable death when its moderators and admins get their #metoo and grossly misattributed racism moment.

But if you must have another little gem of resetera.

at least 30% of posts are "fuck the police" only. Is that the kind of "volume" people miss here? I don't.
and the guy who said the thread is cancer got dogpilled....

it's funny and sad, but mostly funny lol

Catphish

I'd be curious to know how many of NeoGAF's new members are people who set fire to their old accounts and stormed out of here like toddlers without realizing exactly who it was they were joining forces with, and are now returning, in similar fashion.

I don't understand the point of this thread. Resetera is what it is. It will always exist, because there will always be those who adhere to their general mindset. If this place is to be elevated above that place, threads like this aren't what accomplishes it.

WaterAstro

I'd be curious to know how many of NeoGAF's new members are people who set fire to their old accounts and stormed out of here like toddlers without realizing exactly who it was they were joining forces with, and are now returning, in similar fashion.

I don't understand the point of this thread. Resetera is what it is. It will always exist, because there will always be those who adhere to their general mindset. If this place is to be elevated above that place, threads like this aren't what accomplishes it.
It would be up to the mods, if they want to lock this thread, but I think we can talk about it. That forum already banned any talk about Neogaf, so if we ban in the same way, we'd be stooping to their level. We talk about other websites and media, so I don't think this is any different.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
It would be up to the mods, if they want to lock this thread, but I think we can talk about it. That forum already banned any talk about Neogaf, so if we ban in the same way, we'd be stooping to their level. We talk about other websites and media, so I don't think this is any different.

Untrue, you'll find plenty of snarky remarks regarding Gaf over there that get zero moderation.

Catphish

I never said anything about locking or banning.

Talk about what you like. In this case, I'm just questioning the value of it.

wondermega

This thread is pretty lame. Aren't we better than this? I say live and let live - let that forum be, there's definitely plenty of other things to talk about than forum wars, yeesh. FWIW I am not a member over there, I don't lurk there. This just seems like an effort to stir up trouble.

KevinKeene

Banned
This thread is pretty lame. Aren't we better than this? I say live and let live - let that forum be, there's definitely plenty of other things to talk about than forum wars, yeesh. FWIW I am not a member over there, I don't lurk there. This just seems like an effort to stir up trouble.

I explained what this thread is about. You don't have to click it. Lots of people feel the need to talk about that place. I myself think it's important to highlight their insanity so that publishers like Nintendo don't give them shoutouts. if the mods think this thread is inappropriate, then that's that. But we have mentions of Resetera everywhere all the time, so to minimize that, having just one specific thread is the more rational option in my opinion.

"Aren't we better than this" is really besides the point.

Snoopycat

Banned
I join that place when it first open but I saw all them red warnings start up and decide it was not for me. That said, it's their thing man, if them people want to live in a world where all they see is negativity then leave them to it. You don't need to give them more fuel when they already doused themselves in it.

WaterAstro

I didn't bother looking at that site til recently, and I was pretty shocked that they already have paid membership running. They don't offer anything more than a typical forum, yet they're asking for money.

I just feel like they're cashing in at this point.

llien

giphy.gif

It's fine to have an opinion, but discussing stuff with the virtual opponents missing is dishonest.

It's an absolute shit-show over there. If you are the much-maligned "straight white male", you are their enemy, plain and simple.

Blam

You know it's honestly out of this world that they've not had a fiasco with a mod. Beyond that I don't see the point in banning discussion about certain people. It just doesn't make sense.

Besides that the moderation team are well... You know just friends of friends and not actual people who know how to mod.

I guess that they also don't have equal punishments for the same actions. Such as I got permabanned from the entire site since I apparently leaked the logo for the site lol especially the ones I had worked on. So I was being accused of leaking my own logo. Then they pinned leaking invite codes. So now my name is banned from being talked about on the site. Might I had there literally had been no proof of this.

Yet someone and not even one, but multiple moderators leak their guidelines and other things relating to resetera and what do ya know. Just a slap on the wrist.

Better yet. They've explicitly said if I were to join the site again that I'd need to give them my personal information (as in isp/school/work email) in a way doxxing myself to the staff on that site. It's sorta really ass backwards when I'm being email restricted farther then anyone else on the site lmao.

I dunno just my 2 cents.

giphy.gif

It's fine to have an opinion, but discussing stuff with the virtual opponents missing is dishonest.

I mean they already shit talk forum members on their discords, and it has happened on their site, and with no moderation on their side.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
This was my very first look at Resetera and wow...what a hostile atmosphere it is. Free speech, own opinions and a general acceptance of diversity of thoughts, these are all things you can't find over there.

I really don't have anything against the left or right, as long as it doesn't go into the extremes or someone starts to put people in separate groups, claims superiority for one or other and other things. But it really scares me how such a cesspool of fascism (and yes, i really mean it) and intolerance can exist, when it comes to freedom of choice and opinions.

Last edited:
Better yet. They've explicitly said if I were to join the site again that I'd need to give them my personal information (as in isp/school/work email) in a way doxxing myself to the staff on that site. It's sorta really ass backwards when I'm being email restricted farther then anyone else on the site lmao.
That's required from every new member who didn't get in as part of the gaf->era transfer. NeoGAF has the same requirement (or had?). It's nothing special.

Blam

That's required from every new member who didn't get in as part of the gaf->era transfer. NeoGAF has the same requirement (or had?). It's nothing special.
You used to or still can use a custom domain to get access to the site as far as I can tell.

Ecto311

What could this topic do besides talk shit or promote them. I don't see value in either. They don't mention here and I don't understand the need to talk about them. A place that only exists because of a knee jerk movement to leave here because of a disputed me too post on Facebook.

I'm sure there are decent people over there but if I beat cancer I'm not discussing what cancer is doing now that it's moved on and effecting others. I hear voat is ripping into them too now so it's got that going for it.

If you're on that site just to talk games then fine, whatever.
But if you genuinely believe everything those people put forward (GG is the boogeyman, Kingdom Come and Cuphead are racist, etc.), then I implore you to put your thinking cap on once in a while and think for yourself.

Yeah, reading that KCD thread I saw a lot more reasonable people than loons. Some mods are bonkers insane, though, but again, not all of them.
As some of GAF's previous mods have proven, all it takes is one unstable mod for the downward spiral to begin. They're already at the 2017 state of GAF - untenable.

Mohonky

Resetera - Racism is not tolerated here

except if its against whites, chinese, and japanese
Yeh that thread about the basketballer using the word 'chink' was something else.

Europeans and Asians dont quite understand blackface = brace yourself for the incoming shit storm.

American uses the term 'chink' = probably just doesnt understand the context.

The moderation is the same lunacy Neogaf hit at its peak worst and yet it's still somehow hit even higher peaks there. To me its sort of the ultimate irony; the users espouse to be so progressive, but being that there is no actual consensus on what that is, you only need one person or moderator to take a post the wrong way and you're gone.

Shit posting continues to be fine, so long as you are throwing it from the correct side of the fence.

Discussion from pundits that users deem to be 'gross' is flat out denied, even when some have tried it, the place goes fucking mental.

I am genuinely curious to know how many posters nuked their account here and were subsequently banned by the Progressive Inquisition that is the moderators om resetera and how they feel about it.

I considered joining at one point because it can get slow around these parts, but the quality of discussion there does my head in, the level of echo chamber nonsense is out of control.

Yeah, they are mostly just stupid losers who have nothing to do.

But you guys are worse so its not like you can judge them.

Last edited:
A large forum which discusses broad and often sensitive topics needs good moderators. Ones who can guide the debate without bias. Old GAF was probably the worst forum I’ve ever seen for this, and Era is just the same. If not worse.

If your forum is just going to be an ‘SJW’ echo chamber, you should probably state that clearly in the rules of the site. Don’t pretend to have open discussion when you clearly don’t.

I hope as this forum grows again it can keep a handle on things and promote healthy debate. If you are going to talk politics and stuff you need to do it properly, otherwise it’s a waste of time. All opinions from centre left to centre right should be equally respected as valid, even if you don’t agree with them.

KevinKeene

Banned
What could this topic do besides talk shit or promote them. I don't see value in either. They don't mention here and I don't understand the need to talk about them. A place that only exists because of a knee jerk movement to leave here because of a disputed me too post on Facebook.

I'm sure there are decent people over there but if I beat cancer I'm not discussing what cancer is doing now that it's moved on and effecting others. I hear voat is ripping into them too now so it's got that going for it.

1) Do you think a topic should be locked if 'you' don't see value in it? If I have no interest in a topic, I ignore it - as evidenced by all the threads I'm not posting in. Certainly you see all the people posting in here that are interested in talking about that place. So ... live and let live?

2) I absolutely want to stick it to them. Again, my worst fear is that Nintendo starts recognizing just like treehouse gave shoutouts to NeoGAF when it was at peak crazy. Too many websites are citing Resetera as a source for news. Nobody would cite Stormfront or Breitbart as a source. Resetera is on that same level of 'bad'. Which is why people should see what's going on there, without having to spend much time there. These are the people that pit a knife in the back of the forum and its owner over a petty false-#metoo. Are we better than this? Absolutely. But making fun of them (and just by reading what they write!) is well within the limits of 'being better'.just like I can make fun if Trump and still be a better person than him :)

This is just one thread. Ignore it if it isn't to your liking.

Last edited:
I couldn't care less about the site. They were the worst part of this site. The reason this site had the reputation it had. And people have presented enough examples to let me know that it's not a "reset". That it's just Old Gaf with a new web address. They've changed nothing but the web address and color scheme. If you call further double down of ignorant stupidity a change, then file that in the changed column.

And before someone tells me that not all the members aren't bad people, i know that. We will have members here that are members there. Not an issue for me. Just understand that the brains behind that site, behind the leadership there and behind the start of that site are the same people who trashed this site. They tore up this place when they left and left it for dead. They spent countless hours trying to destroy people while they were here calling themselves Gaf. They tried to hurt people associated with this site in the aftermath.They were hypocrites and just overall bad people.

Other then saying I'm glad to be rid of them, I have nothing to talk about at all in relation to that site. Only when discussing Gaf history so those same mistakes are avoided in the future. But I don't think the thread should be closed. If people want to use it, they should. I am not for closing discussion.

what

why do they think those are racist
They think Kingdom Come is racist because the developers strived for realism (there were no black people in 1400s Bohemia) . It's basically what they tried to get offended over Witcher 3.
As for Cup head, I believe it had something to do with the art style being 'inherently racist' ? I don't know for sure, I didn't delve into it too much because I wanted a break from such insanity.

JDB

Banned
This reminds me of places like 'NeoFAG' that do nothing but post GAF links and make fun of them.

Mohonky

Yeah, they are mostly just stupid losers who have nothing to do.

But you guys are worse so its not like you can judge them.
I asked you to elaborate in another post previously and you never did.

Care to elaborate on this one?

Or are we going for a shitty driveby?

Alx

This reminds me of places like 'NeoFAG' that do nothing but post GAF links and make fun of them.

Yeah I don't agree with a lot of what is happening over there, but being obsessed with that forum to the point of talking about them on other forums isn't healthy either. If you don't like them, ignore them.
As a matter of fact I do post over there too, and just do the same thing I did on old Gaf, walk on eggshells on touchy subjects and ignore with a big sigh the most extreme contributions. There is still room for regular discussions, even if a more open-minded atmosphere is always welcome.

Jon Neu

Banned
I don't understand the people saying we all must ignore them and don't talk about them.

If you want to ignore them, then just ignore the thread, but there are other people who wants to actually talk about their toxic behaviour that was the one to give GAF a bad name in the first place.

Alx

I don't understand the people saying we all must ignore them and don't talk about them.

If you want to ignore them, then just ignore the thread, but there are other people who wants to actually talk about their toxic behaviour that was the one to give GAF a bad name in the first place.

Well there is discussion about the toxicity of old NeoGaf, which is completely relevant since we're building new NeoGaf and don't want to fall in the same situation again, and there's keeping talking about the people who left and commenting on what they're doing now. It's time to cut the cord.

llien

I mean they already shit talk forum members on their discords, and it has happened on their site, and with no moderation on their side.
So, this thread is kind of an answer to what has been said on "their site" and some discords?
Mm...

Yoda

I signed up to this forum, but I quickly realized they have the same backwards mentality to moderation this site had half a year ago.

Dynomutt

Are you a mod OP? This thread is borderline suspect. No need for a dumping ground. Don't know how I feel about that hmm...

As long as it's constructive?

Sàmban

Banned
What is the purpose of this thread, really? To point at Era and laugh? Then what?

This is just another example of teamsport politics that is bankrupting this country.

Do you really think gaf is better? I’ve had a random poster I don’t even know attack me personally on this forum for what he perceived as liberal beliefs. Gaf seems better just because of low traffic. Once it picks up, more such people will be here and it’ll be the same thing.

You want proof? This fucking thread. I shouldn’t need to point out the hypocrisy/irony in complaining about echochambers in thread created just to shit on another forum for leaning in the opposite political spectrum.

Last edited:

Necro900

I don't think this discussion is going to last long, but... that is some zealotry on display in that thread. You either drink the hate kool-aid or you're out, talk about fair debate.

But now, let's consider that a closed chapter, and start building something better over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom