• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What a crazy Era to be alive - Talk about that 'other forum'

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinKeene

Banned
What is the purpose of this thread, really? To point at Era and laugh? Then what?

This is just another example of teamsport politics that is bankrupting this country.

Do you really think gaf is better? I’ve had a random poster I don’t even know attack me personally on this forum for what he perceived as liberal beliefs. Gaf seems better just because of low traffic. Once it picks up, more such people will be here and it’ll be the same thing.

You want proof? This fucking thread. I shouldn’t need to point out the hypocrisy/irony in complaining about echochambers in thread created just to shit on another forum for leaning in the opposite political spectrum.
Y'all are some borderline obsessed people. Seek help

I hope this thread isn't closed because of postings such as this. Why can't you accept a thread that you have no interest in? I'm honesty baffled and don't understand it.

Yoda

I hope this thread isn't closed because of postings such as this. Why can't you accept a thread that you have no interest in? I'm honesty baffled and don't understand it.

^ Agreed. The discourse here is mostly civil, the mere presence of a topic alone (in most cases) shouldn't warrant locking it.

Kadayi

Banned
I can't say I care for what they are doing, however given there does seem to be this tendency for people to talk about them I'm not opposed to it being confined to one thread tbh.

Jon Neu

Banned
Well there is discussion about the toxicity of old NeoGaf, which is completely relevant since we're building new NeoGaf and don't want to fall in the same situation again, and there's keeping talking about the people who left and commenting on what they're doing now. It's time to cut the cord.

But the point is that you can only talk for yourself.

You can't impose your decisions on others. If you want to cut the cord, then you can also cut the cord with this thread and ignore it, and leave the people who want to talk about Resetera to do so.

Last edited:

Alx

I'm not imposing anything, just telling people it would be better to cut the cord. That's my opinion that I share with them, they can choose to agree or not.

iorek21

Initially I suscribed there because they approved accounts faster than here (and I had been trying to get approved here for ages), but soon I realized that Resetera is a place for SJW and you're welcome to stay as long you agree with their viewpoint

Fortunately, Gaf approved me soon afterwards

Im not coming back there

goldenpp72

Era definitely has some quality posters, but they seem to obsess over being the advocates of.. Everything. You can't just talk about what you like and dislike, it has to be broken down to how sexist, racist, homophobic, or whatever it MIGHT be, and unless every person agrees it absolutely can't be interpreted as such it becomes violent. They also seem to look for the worst in every person and every piece of entertainment. If you say, I don't like Indian food, you're going to get your throat torn out as a racist.

It's a shame, they make enemies of people who are actually on their side just to spread their justice. If you aren't on the exact same angle as them you may as well be dead in their mind.

Sàmban

Banned
I do have an interest in the thread. It’s why I posted in it. My interest is to point out the hypocrisy in an attempt to steer gaf in the right direction. The entire point of this thread is to point at “them whinny reeeee libruls” and laugh. This has the unintended effect of reducing the issues discussed there to a caricature which in turn makes them easier to “hate” because our side is “better.”

This is how echochambers form. Era has problems. So does Gaf. This thread is antithetical to what gaf is striving for.

That’s why I posted.

goldenpp72

I do have an interest in the thread. It’s why I posted in it. My interest is to point out the hypocrisy in an attempt to steer gaf in the right direction. The entire point of this thread is to point at “them whinny reeeee libruls” and laugh. This has the unintended effect of reducing the issues discussed there to a caricature which in turn makes them easier to “hate” because our side is “better.”

This is how echochambers form. Era has problems. So does Gaf. This thread is antithetical to what gaf is striving for.

That’s why I posted.

While this is true and the likely outcome, it is also possible to use the examples as things to not do. We shouldn't be trying to be on a side so much as trying to prove rational discussion and acceptance of multiple views is very possible. We should be working together to understand our view points and help to enlighten each other in a productive way.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're quite there right now. A lot of the knee jerk, angry, immature behavior exist here, it's just a lot less obvious due to current volume.

I really hope over time this forum becomes the place where balanced, aware and intelligent people come to discuss a variety of subjects, rather then forming a hostile echo chamber or a place that actually is backwards in terms of political and social subjects.

Amory

It's been, in my experience anyway, at least a little better than what GAF used to be. Not sure if they're making a practice of weeding out dissenters.

I did get warned for opining that people who were still claiming to be upset over that Logan Paul video 2 weeks after it was taken down were either lying or imbalanced. Didn't think that was entirely fair.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
The entire point of this thread is to point at “them whinny reeeee libruls” and laugh.

I understand that you as a liberal feel bad for that. But the fact is that Resetera is not even liberal, they are SJW in the most pure form.

If you don't want to read people laughing at them, you can leave the thread whenever you want.

KevinKeene

Banned

That’s why I posted.

There is no hypocrisy here. It's to keep discussion about Resetera in one place instead of it appearing in multiple threads, and it'd to show how crazy these people are.

I don't agree with you comparing NeoGAF to Resetera in any way. NeoGAF is now a place for discussion, and you'd have to be ignorant, if not lying to deny that and call it 'a different kind of echo chamber'. Most active threads are filled with varying opinions, and nobody insults the other or pushes for their ban. This one thread also won't change that.

Resetera to me is a website similar to stormfront, Breitbart or Voat. They're beyond reason, they're destructive, but they get a lot of mainstream attention. That's what makes them dangerous, thus this thread to show people what's going on there.

NeoGAF isn't perfect and you'll sometimes find an idiot crossing the line of topics such as racism, sexism, etc.. But that's absolutely incomparable to what's going on 'there'.

It's neither unnecessary nor unfair to have this thread. It's important. And well deserved. And in the end: it's just one thread. You'll survive :)

Last edited:

Sàmban

Banned
I understand that you as a liberal feel bad for that. But the fact is that Resetera is not even liberal, they are SJW in the most pure form.

If you don't want to read people laughing at them, you can leave the thread whenever you want.

This is the perfect example of the garbage that gaf might be becoming. It is garbage for the following reasons:

1. It labels an entire forum as “SJWs” which, again, reduces every poster over there to a caricature and annihilates any semblance of nuance to discussion

2. The poster literally picks out the most frivolous part of my post to comment on and then tells me to leave the thread. Never mind everything else that I said, which is actually at least worth some consideration.

Let this post be a shinning example of what NOT to do on Gaf.

Eh... This is not going to end well.

I love pointing and laughing at that freakshow but a thread dedicated to it is a bit much. We're dangerously approaching voat territory.

Blam

So, this thread is kind of an answer to what has been said on "their site" and some discords?
Mm...

I mean I guess yes it is. Just wait for them to have one popup on their end. Unless not there, then on that other site what is it called the boor or something? I know one of the ERA Founders has an account on there. Coincidentally another site they accused me of leaking site stuff on.

Eh... This is not going to end well.

I love pointing and laughing at that freakshow but a thread dedicated to it is a bit much. We're dangerously approaching voat territory.

Sure yeah I guarantee someones getting a temp ban out of this thread, but it's expected we are just at this point airing our problems with what is wrong with the other site.

Last edited:

Sàmban

Banned
There is no hypocrisy here. It's to keep discussion about Resetera in one place instead of it appearing in multiple threads, and it'd to show how crazy these people are.

I don't agree with you comparing NeoGAF to Resetera in any way. NeoGAF is now a place for discussion, and you'd have to be ignorant, if not lying to deny that and call it 'a different kind of echo chamber'. Most active threads are filled with varying opinions, and nobody insults the other or pushes for their ban. This one thread also won't change that.

Resetera to me is a website similar to stormfront, Breitbart or Voat. They're beyond reason, they're destructive, but they get a lot of mainstream attention. That's what makes them dangerous, thus this thread to show people what's going on there.

NeoGAF isn't perfect and you'll sometimes find an idiot crossing the line of topics such as racism, sexism, etc.. But that's absolutely incomparable to what's going on 'there'.

It's neither unnecessary nor unfair to have this thread. It's important. And well deserved. And in the end: it's just one thread. You'll survive :)

Spare me your cute condescension. You’re missing my point. I actually don’t entirely disagree with your premise about Era, but I think you comparing them to stormfront is extreme and actually plays a bit into what I’m talking about (i.e. alarmism and demonization of things we don’t agree with: “herp derp they’re all Nazis” “herp derp all screeee sjws” “herp derp they’re like stormfront”) . My point is that this thread and the tribalism in it are the beginnings of an echochamber.

I think a better way to have made this thread is to make a general thread discussing the rise of echochambers and what we could do as a community to avoid them. I don’t think discussing Era is bad, and Era and it’s problems could have been one of many things to discuss. But instead you made an entire thread that is effectively a shit on Era thread (whether you meant to or not). I’m not “hurt” that you did this. I just think it is counterproductive to the point you are trying to make (i.e. let’s not do what Era does...by doing what Era does).

Last edited:

ar0s

Even if this thread just helps new members who have not extensively lurked at, and been turned off by, old-GAF learn what is not acceptable in these exciting new swashbuckling times then it is worth it. I also agree with the notion that it's better to have this than mention them in almost every thread - people can read this then they will just know the Era take on whatever we are discussing is batshit crazy and full of hundreds of bans for stepping outside the 'chamber rather than feeling the need to evidence that.

One rule I would not mind here is no word-for-word repeat of a previous post with no other content. It makes reading long threads a right pain when every third post is exactly the same post from a different person. See "Fuck the police"x10,000,000 via one of the links in this thread.

Gold_Loot

Yeah, that place is a cesspool full of Nazi style moderation and far leftist ideology that I would love to see burn in a dumpster fire... But, we should be taking the high road here and just let that site implode on its own.

Sàmban

Banned
While this is true and the likely outcome, it is also possible to use the examples as things to not do. We shouldn't be trying to be on a side so much as trying to prove rational discussion and acceptance of multiple views is very possible. We should be working together to understand our view points and help to enlighten each other in a productive way.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're quite there right now. A lot of the knee jerk, angry, immature behavior exist here, it's just a lot less obvious due to current volume.

I really hope over time this forum becomes the place where balanced, aware and intelligent people come to discuss a variety of subjects, rather then forming a hostile echo chamber or a place that actually is backwards in terms of political and social subjects.

Agreed, but this thread isn’t how you do it imo.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
We have had a few threads already to air things out. There are a lot of good posters on ERA so I don’t think we should toss them all into one giant group. Overall the moderation there is bad and there are too many crazy people there for me. It’s probably best at this point for us to do us and them to do them.

It’s amusing to view to craziness over there sometimes, but I don’t think having a thread dedicated to it is healthy. I’d be interested in what the GAF staff thinks of this. My assumption is they are discussing it in private first and will post here soon.

Senua

Gold Member
I'm still serving my month ban for asking why the term "cuck" is so offensive. The mods are basically Nazis which is kinda ironic.

Senua

Gold Member
What is the purpose of this thread, really? To point at Era and laugh? Then what?

This is just another example of teamsport politics that is bankrupting this country.

Do you really think gaf is better? I’ve had a random poster I don’t even know attack me personally on this forum for what he perceived as liberal beliefs. Gaf seems better just because of low traffic. Once it picks up, more such people will be here and it’ll be the same thing.

You want proof? This fucking thread. I shouldn’t need to point out the hypocrisy/irony in complaining about echochambers in thread created just to shit on another forum for leaning in the opposite political spectrum.
I think you're taking this all a bit to seriously no?

Sàmban

Banned

I’ve been a gaffer for a long time and I don’t want it to turn to garbage. The split was an opportunity to start fresh and do things differently and it runs the risk of being wasted potential.

So yes, I am.
I'm still serving my month ban for asking why the term "cuck" is so offensive. The mods are basically Nazis which is kinda ironic.

Don’t do this. Nazis murdered people and burned them in large ovens.

woopWOOP

I just post in the few gaming/community threads I'm interested in and ignore everything else, like here. It's fine

That said, lol. Were the posters in the OP's first link perma-banned? I recognize a few of those avatars...

llien

I mean I guess yes it is. Just wait for them to have one popup on their end.
butwhy.gif

I know one of the ERA Founders has an account on there. Coincidentally another site they accused me of leaking site stuff on.
How can someone leak something from a public forum?

The thought that a bunch of users comes to this forum to vent mostly when they are banned/want to say something bannable on "the other side", is not entertaining. Yet that's exactly how it looks like. That on top of the ethical issues of such "venting".

The "ah, you are liberal" sort of attacks are goddamn awful, what the hell... =(

So, enjoy freedom of expression, but don't be surprised by negative reactions to it.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Hi all.

I dont want to dump on the thread. But we just dont see anything good coming out of this thread other than bagging on ERA. What happened is over and they have their own community and we have ours. Im sure some people from there still post here and vice versa.

At this point we are focused on making GAF the best place it can be. If something comes up about ERA feel free to talk about it, its not like a prohibited topic, but having a dedicated thread doesnt really make sense.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom