• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which DBZ Goku do you prefer? Toriyama (selfish) Goku or Funimation (Superman) Goku

Status
Not open for further replies.

RootCause

I'm currently rewatching DBZ, and Goku doesn't seem as reckless as in Super. They need to dial it back.

He might take Beerus job at this rate.

Hopeford

jstripes

Banned
There was a time when it was considered standard for kids animation to keep the music going 24/7. Even the old 1987 Transformers film does it. It kind of gives away that West DBZ was squarely aimed at children, rather than teens.
I mean, just couple this with all the censoring when it first aired.
The relentless music is one of the things I absolutely can't stand about the DBZ dub.

Little-known fact: That was one of the many fights they had with the network when nailing down the concept for The Simpsons. Fox wanted a background music track, because animation, and the showrunners just wanted musical cues.

Zee-Row

Banned
When Dragon Ball Z was running on Toonami in the early 2000s I would instead watch it on Telemundo even though my Spanish was not so good just because I hated that Falconer soundtrack. I never hated the dubbed voices but the music completely killed series for me in english.

Despite being mainly exposed to Funi dub Goku, I think Toriyama Goku sounds significantly more interesting in the small portions I've seen of him.

RedFox85

The glacial pace of American DB Super has me concerned for the success of the DUB, that said I don't know if we have had enough to gauge the direction they are taking him this time around and probably won't until the first tournament arc hits. I have watched up through the black arc in japanese and there were times I was straight confused as to why they had suddenly made Goku even stupider than he was before.. like did he suffer a head injury or something?

I personally don't think either iteration is bad but I grew up with the US cast and that is what I love, I have stopped watching the japanese DB Super and am focused on the DUB now and I have to say even though I have already watched all of this stuff the nostalgia feels are worth it so far. I never really knew that the US Goku was so far removed from the Japanese one and this is interesting for sure, curious to see how they handle it with super.

Mawile

Banned
The glacial pace of American DB Super has me concerned for the success of the DUB, that said I don't know if we have had enough to gauge the direction they are taking him this time around and probably won't until the first tournament arc hits. I have watched up through the black arc in japanese and there were times I was straight confused as to why they had suddenly made Goku even stupider than he was before.. like did he suffer a head injury or something?

I personally don't think either iteration is bad but I grew up with the US cast and that is what I love, I have stopped watching the japanese DB Super and am focused on the DUB now and I have to say even though I have already watched all of this stuff the nostalgia feels are worth it so far. I never really knew that the US Goku was so far removed from the Japanese one and this is interesting for sure, curious to see how they handle it with super.

What sucks is that anime on Cartoon Network these days has to be on one day of the week and on Adult Swim so it won't ever be as popular as it was back in the day when Toonami had an afternoon block Monday-Friday airing new episodes.

I remember having my VCR automatically set to record DBZ episodes just in case I didn't make it home in time from school so I could watch them.

Good times. :)

Cimarron

I prefer Super's Goku. He is immensely flawed and I LOVE it! I hope his lust for fighting power bites him in the arse. Not because I hate him but because it would be awesome!

Hopeford

I do like that Super's Goku is less Superman and more John Cena. Like, I prefer Z being Superman since it fit his character really well, but Cenagoku is great because he just goes "I want to fight you at Summerslam, fuck the consequences I'm Jon Goku" and he gets his wish because he's Goku and he can bury whoever he wants including entire universes. It's kind of hilarious.

Dingens

Xenophobic? That's hella outta nowhere, dude. I'm not even sure I want to discuss this topic further cause just, wow. I'll go ahead and respond, but I have no interest in delving into this topic that far. [...]

seemed like the most logical conclusion to draw since, as many, me included, have pointed out, other countries, sometimes early than the US, did not alter Anime to the same extent, if at all. And yet it didn't hurt it's popularity. I'd even argue it's more popular in certain parts of Europe (like France and Italy) or South America. Both (the US, and the not-US started from zero). Viewed from this perspective, the changes made during the American localization process seem pretty much pointless. Unless A) the audience is xenophobic or B) the localizers THINK the audience is xenophobic (or stupid). I'd argue it's the latter but you never know. Also I don't think it's about the money as some suggested, because... again Europe and South/Latin America didn't do this, and those were businesses as well.

but yeah, maybe we should end it at that, since without interviewing some of those in charge back than it's probably going nowhere

Dunno about the original adaptation but the Latin American versions of both songs are awesome.

for better or worse the German version is kinda interesting in this regard since they took the original japanese themes and re-recorded them (which improved the sound-quality significantly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshuyeVWyNk

Ennosuke

I am watching super in japanese and it sort of is fun. But I hate Goku in super. In addition with this terrible voice, he feels like a totally new character.

Oh and come on, Goku, Gohan and Goten all sound the same.

Ash735

One thing to keep in mind, people asking why Funi changed the soundtrack, etc, I started watching DBZ back when it was the Ocean Dub, that was before Funi got to it, so Saiyan Saga right up through Namek Saga was THAT dub, you know, where they already changed the music because it was cheaper to do in house and because they thought the original score sounded too Japanese Soap Opera like at times, which I do agree with (uh oh, I've angered some).

Which leads me to the next question, what do purists think of Kai's score?

VDenter

Banned
One thing to keep in mind, people asking why Funi changed the soundtrack, etc, I started watching DBZ back when it was the Ocean Dub, that was before Funi got to it, so Saiyan Saga right up through Namek Saga was THAT dub, you know, where they already changed the music because it was cheaper to do in house and because they thought the original score sounded too Japanese Soap Opera like at times, which I do agree with (uh oh, I've angered some).

Which leads me to the next question, what do purists think of Kai's score?

Kai is technically a new product its not DBZ its DBZ Kai so both Kai Dub and the Sub had the same OST on that front. So nobody really minds. Its either you like Kai or you dont kind of thing. Its unquestionable though that Kai is far more accurate to the Manga. and the dub in Kai is superior in pretty much every way when compared to the OG Funimation DBZ dub.

Kai is technically a new product its not DBZ its DBZ Kai so both Kai Dub and the Sub had the same OST on that front. So nobody really minds. Its either you like Kai or you dont kind of thing. Its unquestionable though that Kai is far more accurate to the Manga. and the dub in Kai is superior in pretty much every way when compared to the OG Funimation DBZ dub.

He asked about the score, not the dub.

Manga Goku in Super is great though. It's just in the anime that he's idiotic, careless and selfish.

Truthfully about Super, the manga has no character development unlike the anime, but has better character personalities. The anime does a poor job of explaining and piecing events (the manga beats it on structure). Both need to be consumed to have the best experience

Kalentan

Factually false opinion and Nozawa Goku black>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Schemmel

I mean. If you're comparing Nozawa's Goku Black to Schemmel's Goku Black. He was literally given the instructions of "Evil Goku" so naturally it isn't that great since he knew fuck all about the character.

If you're talking normal Goku? Nah. It's factually hard to take Nozawa's Goku seriously. Even when he's angry it sounds like a joke.

I will say though her Goku Black is good but her Goku is trash.

Okay maybe trash is a bit hyperbole since her 'funny' moments as Goku are fine but anytime it's a battle it just falls so far flat.

Sandfox

Japanese Goku is better than Dub Goku imo. The Z portrayal was poorly acted and directed, while the modern one just feels weird to me.

Oh come on. When Goku and Gohan talk to each other it sounds like the same person talking to themselves.
All of them sound and talk differently.

Funi Dub Goku>Japanese Dub Goku>Super Dub Goku

Super Goku is insufferable and all of his flaws are played up to eleven. One of the many reasons why Super is a bad show (although its fine to like a bad show!).

Miletius

Toriyama for me, but I grew up on that, so I fully admit my bias. I've tried watching the dub a couple of times but I can't do it.

As a child, Goku never came across to me as selfish, persay. Instead he came across as a guy who had character flaws, wasn't fully heroic but he tried his best to do right by people in the end. A loveable dunce that also happened to hit like a mac truck.

His two flaws were that he always wanted to be the strongest, and that he was too innocent and trusting of people, even when they've proven to be crazy dangerous assholes time and time again. The first is a flaw possessed by all the Saiyans, to a certain extent (except for F. Trunks who had that shit traumatically beat out of him). The second was an inherent part of his childhood along with his desire to be strong and reflected the fact that he was never really quite all there mentally.

munchie64

Funi Dub Goku>Japanese Dub Goku>Super Dub Goku

Super Goku is insufferable and all of his flaws are played up to eleven. One of the many reasons why Super is a bad show (although its fine to like a bad show!).
Funi dub is bad though (although its fine to like a bad dub!).

Super is good too (although its fine to hate a good show!).

I'm fooling around btw, though I do like Super.

Mawile

Banned
I dislike Goku's voice in the Japanese although that's more of the style of voice, however there is one character in the original that just feels awful to me at their role. Least with Goku's voice actor they are voice acting well, it's just down to me not liking a woman voicing Goku in that kind of tone, but this character? They literally sound like they aren't trying at all and are really off to me.

That character is King Kai. I'm watching Super via sub and I can deal with all of the voices, but WOW I just got reminded of how awful his voice is. Too deep, doesn't feel like he's keeping up with the animations, and in some ways it feels like he has a lower quality mic or something even though that wouldn't make sense. Surely I can't be the only one who dislikes King Kai's Japanese voice.

I dislike Goku's voice in the Japanese although that's more of the style of voice, however there is one character in the original that just feels awful to me at their role. Least with Goku's voice actor they are voice acting well, it's just down to me not liking a woman voicing Goku in that kind of tone, but this character? They literally sound like they aren't trying at all and are really off to me.

That character is King Kai. I'm watching Super via sub and I can deal with all of the voices, but WOW I just got reminded of how awful his voice is. Too deep, doesn't feel like he's keeping up with the animations, and in some ways it feels like he has a lower quality mic or something even though that wouldn't make sense. Surely I can't be the only one who dislikes King Kai's Japanese voice.

Are you talking about Joji Yanami (85) who ended up going on Medical Leave part way into the broadcast for Super or his replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom