• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

This and the previous one spawned thanks to the magnificent hand of Paco Roca. I already tried to show some love for him here on this forum, for his novels (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27196209&postcount=183 or http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31751000&postcount=202) and even for the animated adaptation of Arrugas he collaborated in (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34539299#post34539299), because he is worth of every praise I can muster.

Sometimes, for artists I follow and at moments I'm enjoying greatly their work, I have the urge of wanting to sport some illustration from them as an homage, even if it isn't necessarily related to what I specifically enjoyed.

I see, I see. Definitely not material I'm very familiar with!
Nonetheless, your choices are pretty darn neat. (I also now know what the "P.R." stands for!)

Jex

You moe-loving bastards better not deny me the conclusion to R;N! I'm too deep now to get taken out by some financial bullshit! IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN, DON'T YOU DARE STOP IT! IT JUST GOT REALLY GOOD!

That's not quite how it works. Shows don't get pulled from the air like that.

Steroyd

Puchimas - 22

V6UYi7P.gif

Will people stop picking these things off the street!

Jex

from the new world - 09

I think the show is an example of good 'worldbuilding'--there's a misconception that this requires an encyclopedic assemblage of minutiae, that who-fucked-who or who-killed-whom 2k years ago is somehow important to the conception and sustenance of a world. That's faulty, though; it's the capacity to inspire, with things that aren't told but rather intimated, that resonates with the viewer. Present day motifs, religious symbols, all appropriated in the creation of a surveillance society. Echoes of what we know in contrast with the speculative, alien elements, it's pretty powerful stuff.

agreebyrd.gif

If it true what I read about the next shipments then it should be a little more than 25k, yes.

Though I would love to see the sales for the different model kits. The Type 89 (or the coming Type 3) for example is even for non-GuP fans pretty interesting.
I'm still pretty surprised it got so popular.
I did actually get a couple HG Gunpla to practice on, so maybe something like this will be possible someday.
I don't remember it being too hard, but this was many years ago.
That is not the pairing I was expecting you to latch to.

The man loves his tomboys.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Puchimas 22

WRknEyw.jpg

Hold on a second. "~rin"? Are you trying to step on a certain someone's turf Makoto?

Don't make me put you on the list along with that other Makoto.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Nadia: The Harem of Blue Water] 12
Is that the freaking Gunbuster pose? Oh fuck yes.

Such awesomeness may make you believe this was all about shounen haato and getting rid of alien scum, but no. Somehow this show has transformed into a full on wacky romance comedy complete with misunderstandings, love triangles, and even Jean peeping on Nadia while she changes her clothes (no, I'm not linking to that, you pervs). I'm sure Chet would enjoy this episode quite a bit.

As an aside, this also marks the first point that Nadia has gone full-on Shinji on us. Boohoohoo poor
baby deer
(I bet it tastes like chicken).
I got Blossom and Marine as well :)

Annoyingly, Cure Sunshine was a limited store exclusive and is expensive/a pain to get :(
The only anime figurine I have is... nothing. :( I've always wanted to get into anime figurines but the prices keep on scaring me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is this not something that you should watch the rest to find out? This isn't the denouement of the story. The point is that the infodump is entirely new information. We are supposed to see how the gang reacts to it, how it informs their worldview and their reactions to the things which will happen in their life in the future.

Personally, I think that in the invocation of the Vietnam imagery you're supposed to note the brutality of the situation only at this point. And in my opinion, the thoughts you have above are both valid interpretations of the series. Clearly it's provoked an intellectual response of some kind in you, even if it didn't work for you emotionally (and let's face it, the limited animation while Mamoru weeps in terror in episode 4 isn't that evocative) - obviously if that didn't arouse your curiosity to a sufficient extent to continue with the show that's one thing, but I'm surprised you weren't interested in seeing what consequences the show explored from that point.
Well, I gave it that one episode to see what happened, and the whole capture/separation thing really didn't do anything meaningful that justified that information being relayed to the audience. At the very least, beyond the fact that they get caught by that one older dude and led away with the (iirc) threat of their powers being removed, that episode's first 10 minutes has no direct impact. There really isn't any time to reflect.

You know, Mass Effect 3 has DLC which is just alien talking heads explanation the shitty mythology to the player 10 minutes at a time. It's an easy way to relay information to the reader because there are very few ways to depict learning to the audience in context, especially in film/television.

And hey, most people rely on the out of context infodump (even Beasts of the Southern Wild briefly explains the Bathtub with a map sequence) because it doesn't really interfere with the story.

But if you make the attempt... it just has to be interesting to make it worth it. Either the information itself is presented in an interesting manner or the fact that the characters care about this information is presented in an interesting manner (aka, Spielberg-face).

And maybe it's because I've turned so hard on science fiction that I'm almost allergic to any speeches that last more than a minute. Thinking back on Star Trek, Stargate, and the king of infodumps, Babylon 5 (In The Beginning is essentially an infodump in movie form, come to think of it), it's not like I was always against people just relaying information to the reader. As a Stargate fan, there was a few years where I actually cared about "The Furlings" (yep, SyFy writers sure are creative) and their place in the mythology.

My patience for that stuff wears pretty thin nowadays though. There are ways to do infodumps in and out of the context of the story in a brief enough manner that it doesn't get in the way of the story and bring everything to a screeching halt. Space Brothers (the movie) summarized the premise of the movie with a cool looking montage of the various contributions humanity has made to space exploration. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 summarizes the mythology of the show via a short scene where one of the main characters teaches a group of children by telling them why they happen to be living underground. Perhaps one of my favourite SF films of all time, The Wrath of Khan, has a scene where the main trio sit in the room and talk about the bible for 5 minutes - "6 days?! Well, what about 6 minutes!" - but in the context of everything else, coming straight off a gripping action scene, I don't mind that scene and never skip it when I rewatch the film.

Heck, come to think of it, Game of Thrones had to solve this problem by showing people fuck each other in order to make it visually stimulating interesting to the viewer.

I do agree that infodumps are essentially selling a promise of better things to come. Part of the mythology of the world is established and you're meant to be curious about what else the universe might have in store. But you really need a deft and careful hand to deploy something like a 10 minute exposition scene in a manner that is easy to consume.

That said, I probably tolerate the infodump more than the shitty promise of "answers to be revealed later!" that a lot of SyFy relies on nowadays. Hey, I found out what the numbers mean and it turns out that I shouldn't have spent those 3 years of my life worrying about it. Go figure. (The Cylons. They Have A Plan™. Really! We even made a movie called The Plan that explains the plan after the fact!)

From a point of view of innocence, have you ever read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (or seen the film by Mark Romanek)? There's a key scene in that where the high concept "twist" of the story is explained to a class of young children, and they have absolutely no emotional response to it at all because their environmental conditioning is so strong that they kind of had an idea about it all along. I see the children's reactions in SSY to be something similar.
I've seen the film, but I don't remember too much about it at the moment unfortunately. :(

Jex

Well, I gave it that one episode to see what happened, and the whole capture/separation thing really didn't do anything meaningful that justified that information being relayed to the audience. At the very least, beyond the fact that they get caught by that one older dude and led away with the (iirc) threat of their powers being removed, that episode's first 10 minutes has no direct impact. There really isn't any time to reflect.

[Stuff]

ryan4.gif

Not as surprising as when Infinite Stratos suddenly became the hot shit out of nowhere. That one left everyone baffled.

Well I'm also surprised the show turned out so well as it did, even if I was excited for the show. I can't really say anything about IS as I've never seen it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We're only at 133 (67 for you heathens), why are we gif spamming already?

Are we making a serious bid for OT|-9|?

Branduil

I can't speak for Jexhius but I presume his reaction is due to you giving From the New World only one episode to justify its info dump.

Mature

This thread was basically the second Sword Art Online OT last season despite having much more stuff to watch from then.
At least that was chaos and unfettered rage. This is sort of just vapid. Though I don't want to complain— I'm not exactly contributing myself.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You'll all feel even worse when everything in spring turns out to be awful and the thread is just people hatewatching Crime Edge and lots of Valrave CG mecha gifs from duckroll and DTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom