• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

vividred operations - 06

I did drop the show back on ep2, but watched this one due to . . . hype, a certain sort of hype. It was super interesting.

The show still looks pretty good, and with the lack of Alone-related activities there's no CG either. My first impression was that this is really, really fucking dumb, but there's a method to it all, and by the end--with the boobs and the hand-drawn robots and all--I was enjoying it for more than just the super interesting qualities.

I just wish the show wasn't saddled with Takamura's pathological hatred of pants.
They're called trousers.

cajunator

Banned
But somethings are more entertaining than others.

Its saying that on a basic level everything is entertaining. At least thats what I took it to mean. obviously it depends on the person and some things are clearly not as engaging as other things, but entertainment value can be gleaned from anything in the right conditions.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I guess... I'll do it?

But I'm going to sleep in the next hour so.... yeah.... It's either before I go to sleep or after i wake up. lolz.

Dresden

Oh come on. I was only going to name it |OT-6| Some frames may be missing from this show

A magi always lands on his feet.

PyiRgQG.gif

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Its saying that on a basic level everything is entertaining. At least thats what I took it to mean. obviously it depends on the person and some things are clearly not as engaging as other things, but entertainment value can be gleaned from anything in the right conditions.
Why do you do this every time the scene is brought up? The argument brought up is bait, a defensive thought process derived from an author who feels inadequate compared to the efforts of those around her.

Just caught up on Shin Sekai Yori and hot damn has this show gone places. The suspense, characters, music, art and story are just fantastic. It sucks that the show isn't doing so hot on the physical sales, but I'm glad Crunchyrollers are at least checking it out. I think this is my first post in here. You people are gonna make me go blind due to speed lurking.

Edit: Oh, and Space Brothers is one of the best shows ever.

From the New World 13

Though marginally tedious at times and the weakest of this arc, this episode was, for the most part, pretty good and thoroughly interesting, as it focused, at least in the latter half, on the continued examination of their slowly-realized
knowledge towards the animalistic instincts of their society’s elders
, and how, in turn, these
cruelties have begun to affect them
. The subdued nature of this episode was quite refreshing, but the narrative developments within, though compelling, felt unnecessarily stretched, particularly the first half, as the material was implemented with a rather mediocre touch for pacing. As such, several seemingly inconsequential moments, though occasionally derived from a particularly intriguing complexity, were detrimentally lingered on, such as
the search for Mamoru
, which became marginally repetitive.

My favorite sequence was
their dreaded realizations following the exploration into Mamoru’s memories of the copycat, as they carefully unraveled the truth within a fragment of their partially artificial and wholly regulated existences
. As such, one of the most compelling elements within the narrative throughout this arc is the thoroughly nuanced handling of their
slowly-developing maturity
, as the veiled façade of
their decayed and oppressive society is slowly withering away
, due largely to their
renewed ability to perceive beyond their well-worn naivety
, which has, in turn, revealed a plethora of
cruel manipulations
, effectively propelling
Saki and the others to, once again, adhere to their rebellious inclinations
. The wistfully haunting music that was used throughout the conclusion was yet another fantastic selection.

One of the most interesting moments was
Mamoru’s unsettling recollection of the copycat’s second appearance
. Both sequences, particularly the second, displayed some great storyboarding. Also, the isolation of
Mamoru’s voice as the copycat edged closer
was a particularly effective touch. Mamoru’s
rather sympathetic speech was surprisingly emotional, as it provided insight that, though somewhat expected, illuminated an intriguing depth to his characterization
. The melancholic musical selection that accompanied this moment complemented the
mournful nature of his words exceptionally well
. I especially liked that it was
silenced as soon as Mamoru mentioned the appearance of a copycat
. Though I’m typically intrigued by
Saki’s intermittent bits of ominous narration
, it was implemented in a rather mediocre fashion at the conclusion of this episode, since the inferences were largely rudimentary.

The
search for Mamoru
, though quite interesting, was slightly tedious at times. Thankfully though, whatever vague monotony had crept into the episode was nearly diminished to a seeming non-existence by the
exceedingly melancholic and highly significant conclusion, in which the shroud of clouded uncertainty is finally removed
. The
decay of their practically illusory society has been beautifully illustrated throughout this entire arc
, illuminating a particularly deft sensibility towards methodically deconstructing their
manipulated perceptions of the world they had so obliviously clung to since they first arrived in it
. The gradual transition into
an acceptance of their inclinations for rebellion
has been superbly depicted, as this complexity is a consistently intriguing element within the story, and I hope it continues to be focused on as the story progresses.

There was a distinctly surprising level of insightful exploration into
Maria and Mamoru’s poignant relationship
. I loved the rather significant flourishes of pained emotions that were filtered into
Maria’s search for Mamoru throughout much of the episode
, as they excellently conveyed a necessary complexity to their connection; one that had only been intermittently and vaguely touched upon prior to this episode. This was especially evident whenever an
unrealized fear would be awakened, as Maria would adorn a sort of frenzied despair
. Maria’s proclivity for needlessly jumping throughout, however, was a distracting affectation, as it excessively contrasted with Saki and Satoru’s comparative actions.

One of the most intriguing aspects within this episode, and the entire narrative, for that matter, is the
fatalistic foreshadowing that has been subtly woven throughout
. Initially, of course,
Shun was seemingly shadowed by a certain inevitability within his limited life expectancy, marked by a plethora of socially divergent tendencies and an abundance of surrealistic imagery that directly foretold of an ever-approaching death
. Then, though subtly alluded to in several earlier episodes, particularly the fourth,
Maria and Mamoru‘s fates seem to have acquired this determined brevity to them
. Of course, since they have
always appeared to be inexorably bound together, it increasingly feels as though their lives will eventually be extinguished, which was further strengthened by the preview for the next episode, as their conversation appears to possess a sort of finality to it

Though somewhat inconsistent, the direction was pretty solid throughout, especially during
Mamoru’s moderately surrealistic memories
. One of the most impressively framed shots within this episode was the quietly significant isolation of
Saki, Maria, and Satoru’s faces upon first encountering the edge of the Holy Barrier, in which their forlorn expressions peeked through a miniscule separation in the rather imposing tapestry
. It was a hauntingly effective shot, particularly due to it’s appropriately lingering nature, which essentially accentuated the deeply foreboding atmosphere. This episode was occasionally well-animated, particularly the moments that involved their expressive reactions towards unforeseen complications, but it was also quite inconsistent.

Musically, this episode was consistently great, as this particular aspect of the show, though it was occasionally mediocre throughout the first arc, has excelled throughout the second. I particularly liked the considerably ominous musical selection that accompanied the sequence in which
Saki and the others discover Mamoru’s abandoned sled
, since it was greatly complementary to the
tragically hopeless nature of this fleeting revelation
. Visually, this episode was quite good, though not entirely impressive, aside from it’s rather excellent backgrounds, which illustrated the
deceptively serene desolation that surrounded their excursion

All in all, though this episode wasn’t nearly as fantastic as the last, From the New World continues to excel with it’s narrative execution, relatively intricate writing, and the immensely foreboding atmosphere that permeates nearly every episode. The narrative, so far, has been masterfully constructed, particularly in it’s ability to remain incredibly consistent, since, aside from the mediocre conclusion to the first arc, nearly every episode has been suffused with intriguing developments and a beautifully foreboding atmosphere, as though every seemingly miniscule fragment of information or subtle foreshadowing was deftly woven into this thoroughly well-written tale. This, in turn, results in a story that rarely deteriorates, perpetually maintaining this superbly effective and comprehensively compelling focus.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Just caught up on Shin Sekai Yori and hot damn has this show gone places. The suspense, characters, music, art and story are just fantastic. It sucks that the show isn't doing so hot on the physical sales, but I'm glad Crunchyrollers are at least checking it out. I think this is my first post in here. You people are gonna make me go blind due to speed lurking.
Do they? I see lots of lime green logos. I think time delay might hurt a series like this even if its only a few days.

Instro

From the New World 20

The pacing bugged me this week. Didn't like how they rushed through
the downfall of the village, it was just too abrupt for me. I am impressed by Yakomaru's ingenuity though, he clearly put all the knowledge of humans he had gleaned from the kids to good use
. It was another good episode though, albeit with some visual inconsistencies. The plus though is that they really brought it for the sakuga scenes. The ending seemed like another major turning point for the story as we push forward to the end, and judging from the preview things are really accelerating.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Coming soon, Usagi Drop season 2. Someone needs to save noitaminA. lol

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 13

All in all, Sakurasou disappointingly followed one of it’s best episodes with what was easily one of it’s worst. The narrative, hopefully temporarily, has deteriorated in a rather disappointing and significant fashion, due largely to the contrived and wholly unnecessary adherence towards the conventional dynamics that were present at the beginning of the story, displaying a noticeable flaw in narrative execution, wherein a plethora of narrative stagnancies and absurd complications are repetitiously filtered into the story following nearly every single meaningful development within the various relationships, particularly
Mashiro and Sorata’s
. Unfortunately, the continuously stalled nature of several threads within the narrative alludes to the considerable potential for a monotonous arc and a rushed conclusion, in which the inevitable relationship between
Mashiro and Sorata
isn’t even partially established until the very end.

Unfortunately, this is becoming increasingly clear. The drama was easily at it’s best and most natural during the fantastic fourth episode. Many of the subsequent dramatics have been so damn contrived and tedious.

I was just going to say that it's been bad all along but you've found my quote. lol

The problem is that it's not really finding new problems to sustain the status-quo. What makes it worse is that there are essentially confessions that the guy is essentially willfully ignoring out of spite and misplaced anger, making him seem like the douchiest guy to ever live.

The whole idea of feeling inferior was an interesting choice and they handled that well. Going back to that storyline two more times? God damn. Maybe it works in novel form because there's presumably a delay between the books any no one noticed, but it completely breaks down on TV.

As much as I loved early Genshiken, Nidaime isn’t really that similar in quality, since it’s supporting characters are much less complex and engaging than the wonderful cast that was far more involved prior to Nidaime. Still, more Genshiken is rather welcome news.
I will say, the interesting thing about it was that it was an all female cast... but lately, this pseudo gay romance stuff seems to have basically taken over the book. Madarame's last revelation seems to be a complete reversal of the original series as well, which is just disappointing.

kayos90

Actually... Imma head to bed soon. So either OT-6 is happening in a matter of minutes or tomorrow whenever I wake up. Do yall wanna just start the party earlier. again?

sleepykyo

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 13

This was a surprisingly poor episode, as, though somewhat predictable, it noticeably failed to logically transition from the rather meaningful narrative inferences that were filtered into the last several episodes to the subsequent developments that were found in this one, instead illuminating a disappointing reversion within numerous aspects of the established narrative, as though the conclusion of the first arc was merely an intentional attempt to portray a misdirection from the true nature of the narrative‘s progression. As such, I felt that several of the dramatic complications, aside from the immensely tedious manner with which they were introduced, were illustrated, rather than suitably complex, as a concoction of startlingly rudimentary contrivances. This, of course, wasn’t at all beneficial to the effectiveness of this episode or the foreshadowed progression of the story, as it appears to indicate the possibility that truly meaningful developments will be withheld until the conclusion of the show approaches, which, though rather expected for this particular genre and the romantic elements within, is certainly an approach to storytelling that far too heavily adheres towards the conventional constraints of a quasi-triangular romance.

Sorata’s slightly romantic dream was a nice touch, as it illustrates that
his interest in Mashiro is slowly developing
. However, one of the most disappointing elements within this episode is the stagnancy of
Sorata and Mashiro‘s inevitable romance
. Aside from Sorata’s dream towards the beginning of the episode, their previously natural progression has been partially reverted, as Sorata is
apprehensive of her slowly developing independence
; to the point where he directly
indicates a preference towards Mashiro’s older self
, which, in itself, would be a suitably complex reaction, but, rather than these subtly felt fears remaining subdued, he’s actively attempting to
constrain her ability to display meaningful growth
, which is considerably selfish. At the very least, it was a slightly more nuanced complication in their relationship, so I hope it doesn’t continue to be filtered into the narrative in a similar fashion to many of the excessively overwrought dramatics that have been increasingly strewn into several of the previous episodes.

The most compelling insight within this episode, by far, was the subtle development of Mashiro’s emotions, as she’s gradually displaying a softly-spoken maturation and a particularly satisfying desire for a heightened self-sufficiency, most effectively illustrated by her determined attempts to
cook for Sorata
. This methodical evolution was also alluded to by the thoroughly noticeable contrast in her voice’s intonation between the early portions of this episode and the latter half. I’m hoping that Ryuunosuke and Rita are provided with a slightly more significant focus as the story progresses, since their typically comedic interludes have definitely become the highlight of each episode.

Sorata was quite unlikable throughout this episode, as he’s childishly
deflecting his momentary failure and subsequent anger onto Mashiro
, which, of course, was highly inconsiderate. I did, however, love Mashiro’s closing words, in which she
emotionally reacts by clutching her chest and yelling for him to get out of her
. This moment, once again, illuminated a particularly interesting development of her emotions. As such, though I am usually intrigued by Sorata’s flawed characterization, his thoughtless tendencies were far too prevalent, as his compulsory response to
Mashiro‘s miniscule mistake displayed a distinctly selfish affectation that had seemingly been discarded as his character developed
, which, in turn, induced a sense of pointless tedium within his characterization, as though it was solely illustrated in order to heighten the dramatic nature of the story. This is indicative of rather weak execution within the narrative, and I’m hoping, though it appears somewhat unlikely, that this intermittent flaw will disappear altogether as the story proceeds, since it’s a tiresome contrivance that only serves to temporarily cripple the effectiveness of the show.

Sorata and Aoyama’s
“moment” towards the end
wasn’t effective at all, since, as usual, it was incredibly one-sided, and, above all, it illustrates a certain naivety and nearly deliberate obliviousness from
Aoyama that’s becoming needlessly repetitive and quite intrusive
. Of course, Aoyama’s involvement is highly unnecessary altogether, due especially to the
mutual feelings
between Sorata and Mashiro, but it appears increasingly possible that this exceedingly predictable dynamic will vaguely linger until the conclusion of the story arrives, unfortunately. As such, due to Aoyama’s seeming awareness of
Mashiro and Sorata’s entwined emotions
, her hopeful attempts to essentially
go on a date with him
were quite desperate, illuminating, yet again, a potentially intentional attempt to constantly delude herself into some tenuous dismissal of the thoroughly obvious, as it should have been perfectly clear that
he wasn’t viewing their momentary rendezvous as anything but a friendly obligation

Though I typically find Jin and Misaki’s relationship to be one of the most intriguing aspects of the narrative, their complicated emotions are becoming increasingly tedious and unnecessarily perplexing, particularly Jin’s altruism. I also don’t really understand what Jin is hoping to accomplish in thoughtlessly providing
Aoyama with a pair of tickets to a play
, as it only appears to be an intentional sort of motivation for
Aoyama to invite Sorata on a “date”
. Of course, that would be a considerably understandable gesture under normal circumstances, but, given that he seems to have fully perceived the
subtly flourishing romance between Sorata and Mashiro
, it solely feels as though he’s carelessly
compelling her towards further attempts to intrude on a relationship that will inevitably result in heartbreak for her

The humor, for whatever reason, has been greatly diminished in favor of repetitive and largely unconvincing dramatics, which, as expected, doesn’t exactly complement the typically enjoyable nature of the show. For example,
Sorata’s momentary berating of Mashiro
, though slightly realistic given the context, is a development that only isolates Sorata as a character that hasn’t significantly grown throughout the entire show, despite several elements of maturation that were filtered into his characterization during the latter half of the previous arc.

The stale direction was one of the weaker aspects within the episode, as, for the most part, it failed to properly convey the appropriate emotions during several sequences, save for
Mashiro and Sorata’s conversation at the end, which was impressively handled
. As such, throughout much of the episode, the interactions were poorly framed and visually uninspired. The new OP was quite enjoyable and visually interesting, as well as a slight improvement over the last, especially since it essentially solidifies the foreshadowed perception of
Mashiro and Sorata’s eventual relationship
. The ED, on the other hand, though decent, wasn’t nearly as impressive as the first.

All in all, Sakurasou disappointingly followed one of it’s best episodes with what was easily one of it’s worst. The narrative, hopefully temporarily, has deteriorated in a rather disappointing and significant fashion, due largely to the contrived and wholly unnecessary adherence towards the conventional dynamics that were present at the beginning of the story, displaying a noticeable flaw in narrative execution, wherein a plethora of narrative stagnancies and absurd complications are repetitiously filtered into the story following nearly every single meaningful development within the various relationships, particularly
Mashiro and Sorata’s
. Unfortunately, the continuously stalled nature of several threads within the narrative alludes to the considerable potential for a monotonous arc and a rushed conclusion, in which the inevitable relationship between
Mashiro and Sorata
isn’t even partially established until the very end.

I've haven't watched this for a few weeks. ie. 12 was the last episode I've watched and I was following it on a weekly basis (the peasant off by a week schedule). Wonder if I'm missing anything. Oh and I still have the last 2 episodes of Total Eclipse to watch. Like the new shows come out and I get distracted by them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My jokes...
This would be more like a season three.
Man, that was a year ago too!

I've haven't watched this for a few weeks. ie. 12 was the last episode I've watched and I was following it on a weekly basis (the peasant off by a week schedule). Wonder if I'm missing anything. Oh and I still have the last 2 episodes of Total Eclipse to watch. Like the new shows come out and I get distracted by them.
It's not. If you care about the plot, I assume that watching the last episode will be enough to just call it a done show for you.

kayos90

This was going to be the two subtitles that I was deciding on

|Watching anime that feels like 24 fps

or

|In honor of Poeticprose22's return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom