• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuticle Detective Inaba 7
tumblr_mibagiKEaD1qku61so3_500.gif

I want a Yataro body pillow or nozaki kei, they should have reversed it. Many funny moments in all of the extras and the actual non skit case was really intense. Did I miss why Don was different?

Little Busters! 19

Good episode. These anime really make girls in the schools just always seem to have bad personalities, picking on Kud cause of her accent and stuff. I thought most people like to talk to people whose lived abroad and traveled numerous countries and what not.

Did get sad when she failed the exam embarassingly, what a silly mistake but then got all happy when everyone in Little Busters decided to join the remedial class, so silly but touching for the bonds of friendwork

What was the dream at the beginning even about.

Ultimadrago

I've got a question about Nichijou. Did the show cover most of the manga's content? I know it bombed like a Wii U, but I'd feel pretty good about the whole thing if they at least managed to wring every last drop out of the series.

Isn't the Nichijou manga still running though?

It covered most/almost everything of what was in the manga at that time. New books have been released since then and it is still going.
Which reminds me, I should get to reading more of it soon. I'm not entirely caught up.

I think their sound design + music choices add a lot

What? That gag is MADE by the synchronization between animation and music, a gif of that would be worthless.

The score for Nichijou is great overall and it should all be watched and listened to though full episodes in the highest quality available, not low-quality Youtube videos.

It bombed because it was boring.

Because all great shows are financial successes and
why Soredemo sold tens of thousands ؟ :SarcMark

I see no wrong in teasing shows for selling low, but that's a faulty bit of logic, if you were at all serious about a correlation.

Well, with comedy there isn't really any room for middle ground. It works or it doesn't.

I disagree. Going back to Soredemo (A SHAFT comedy that I've never heard discussed of outside AnimeGAF because that's how niche it is) and firehawk12's older post, there were plenty and of portions and flat-out gags that I appreciated without laughing nor finding funny at all. Did they all "not work" simply because the character interaction pulled through for what was otherwise a not humorous stretch? Not at all.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The iDOLM@STER 2

Maybe it's just because I didn't get enough sleep last night, but I was just zoned out for this entire episode. It just didn't seem terribly interesting to me. Kinda starting to think this isn't really for me. Shame too, because the animation and character design and everything is really, really good. I just kinda don't care about idol stuff all that much, I guess.

DiGiKerot

The iDOLM@STER 2

Maybe it's just because I didn't get enough sleep last night, but I was just zoned out for this entire episode. It just didn't seem terribly interesting to me. Kinda starting to think this isn't really for me. Shame too, because the animation and character design and everything is really, really good. I just kinda don't care about idol stuff all that much, I guess.

Try and push through a few more episodes before you pass judgement - the second and third episodes are kind-of the big hump you have to pass over before the show starts to find its legs.

Or just skip forward to episode eight and go back and fill in the gap if you enjoy that one. That'd work.

Ultimadrago

The iDOLM@STER 2

For Iori being the best, her dedicated episode is one of the worst.
The episodes get quite better later on, character-dedicated ones especially (starting with Makoto's episode, 17). The ones before that are lacking, sans Yayoi's.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Try and push through a few more episodes before you pass judgement - the second and third episodes are kind-of the big hump you have to pass over before the show starts to find its legs.

Or just skip forward to episode eight and go back and fill in the gap if you enjoy that one. That'd work.

Yeah, I'm not going to give up on it right away. I'll push through for at least a couple more episodes.

Hunter x Hunter 67
tumblr_miczoeYIq01s5w5v6o1_500.gif

Asta bewbies going place to place felt really out of place, and shes really awful. Who cares about more cards when they had a restricted card that Genthru needed anyway. Anyway Killua Gon reactions were hilarious and the best part. This quest seems fun.

Jex

I see no wrong in teasing shows for selling low, but that's a faulty bit of logic, if you were at all serious about a correlation.

I rarely feel like there's a good reason, if we were to engage in a bit of logical thinking, why one show would sell well and another completely bomb. If we leave aside fairly obvious things like adaptations of major franchises and shows that are just terribly made, what makes one work such a success while another flops? Why, out of all the trash harem crap, did Infinite Stratos find itself as the one the best selling shows in the year it came out? Sometimes I really don't know why something achieves that zeitgeist. Timing? Big names? Well known voice actors?

The same is true with bombs like Fractcale, I mean I didn't really like the series that much but do have it be such a resounding failure is bizarre. Perhaps the otaku really didn't like the creator, or something.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Alpha and Beta male? Active and Passive? You really don't know that? I thought it was common sense.

Basically, you are passive, you don't have much confidence in yourself, etc.
Beta versions are in better working order than alphas. I of course consider myself along the lines of a Version 1.something+ male.

Oi what's up with all the relationship advice all of a sudden? I don't wanna hear no sex tips from a bunch of nerds.
yz1h2j6.jpg

What is non-plain food ? :lol
Something from the Fat Duck.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Dokidoki! Precure] 03
SDBurton on suicide watch.

Diamond is a much better character than Heart. Diamond = Sword > Heart. Also I think I'm totally on board with the monsters being animals this time around. The goat was funny.

I rarely feel like there's a good reason, if we were to engage in a bit of logical thinking, why one show would sell well and another completely bomb. If we leave aside fairly obvious things like adaptations of major franchises and shows that are just terribly made, what makes one work such a success while another flops? Why, out of all the trash harem crap, did Infinite Stratos find itself as the one the best selling shows in the year it came out? Sometimes I really don't know why something achieves that zeitgeist. Timing? Big names? Well known voice actors?

The same is true with bombs like Fractcale, I mean I didn't really like the series that much but do have it be such a resounding failure is bizarre. Perhaps the otaku really didn't like the creator, or something.

Perhaps IS was fueled by the power of Charles :p. Seriously, I don't follow sales and such as closely as some people do but some of these things are just head-scratchers from my perspective as well.

Jex

[From the New World] - Symbolism

So at some point duckroll was commenting on the visual symbolism in this series and pointing out how most of it was fairly obvious, broken cases, masks etc but their was one recurring visual image that he wasn't too sure on. It's this monument:

FromtheNewWorld208_zpsd95b769e.jpg

ssystructure_zps6b574f1b.jpg

which is seen numerous times throughout the series. It appears to be of the tallest structures in the district and one of the few that serves no obvious purpose. Now, on one hand it seems to be a fairly obvious representation of man's ability to use cantus. The structure doesn't appear to be naturally created or traditionally built so I assume (perhaps wrongly) that it was shaped by cantus. That's a fairly surface level interpretation, though so I think it has to mean something beyond that.

I believe that it represents how unbalanced the world is. If you look at the rock you feel like it should be falling over, considering how much weight is sitting on such a small base - it just seems like it's far too heavy to stay up right. You could also read it as suggesting how many important things depend on a very few things.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It was weird how it rained even though it was sunny outside!
Being from the UK this isn't that weird.

Working is great, and Yamada is the cutest.
Manager is the best gal.

Is Working!! worth putting up with Working! for? Mind you, I only saw one episode of Working before dropping it, I just didn't find it very amusing. Might not have been in the right mindspace for it though.
Tsk tsk tsk. Three episode rule.

Ultimadrago

Boring is such a strong word.
...And, well, yes, it's boring.

Trebro, we are bros no mo'.

Senran Kagura 6

Katuragi and Ikaruga simply don't give up! Truly inspiring figures
and yeah, they should hook up for justice and all

Busty bikini babes getting bloody and dirty for the whole episode! It certainly doesn't disappoint there. It also reestablishes the fact that lolis' only weakness are cephalopods .

Jex

Tamako Market 6

Mega meh.

I thought, "Hey, the next episode could be interesting!", but then I watched the preview, and it looks like nothing will change. Eh.
Perhaps I'm just more cynical than you but I never expected anything in this show to change at any kind of pace. I've not come to expect that out of KyoAni works - there is rarely a 'shit getting real' moment.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Perhaps I'm just more cynical than you but I never expected anything in this show to change at any kind of pace. I've not come to expect that out of KyoAni works - there is rarely a 'shit getting real' moment.

I'm not really expecting anything either. I'm putting the mysterious tone of this episode's ending at fault here, haha.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't bother learning names for a lot of series.
Same. Yet I never get lost while watching a show. I seem to temporarily make a not of everyone's name while watching and the moment the show ends I flush my cache.

Australians got a triple dose of new anime today, with Hanabee announcing licenses for Kids on the Slope, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, and Mysterious Girl X. All of them will be dual language BD/DVD, and since their KotS date is close to the NA release date, the June dates for the latter two also give us a clue when Sentai might release their versions.
If only anime releases were like PAL Nintendo games.

Ultimadrago

Windy Tales 6

Nice episode, as usual. You know, when I first started watching this, the opening episodes always made me believe it would have a heavier overarching plot. However, it's very hmm "soft" on the overall scheme of things, if it even exists. With the show's tone, it actually works quite to its favor. The crudely shaped shadows on the wall going about almost like a puppet show during brief dialogue and Kick-the-Can tutorial easily clicked with the show's art.

On the boys found, the connection to youthful joy and freedom with wind manipulation made for a "Magic is found within oneself" lesson that works swell with this show. It's rather effortless and calm about the message too. Windy Tales finds no need to jam it down your throat as you see the effects for yourself. It's really a pleasant weekly watch.

Lastly,
Flying
Japanese "Kick the Can" sounds awesome and it seems there will be a bigger issue to solve next episode. I'm looking forward to it!

Jex

Boring is such a strong word.

The punchlines are just waaaaaaaaay more miss than hit. And the gags have a tendency to on and on and on and on way past the point where they needed to stop. And only a handful of the characters are actually entertaining for extended periods of time. And, well, yes, it's boring.
I feel like KyoAni is the one studio whose works get accused of being on a fairly regular basis. If I'm being serious here, for a moment, I feel that saying something is 'boring', while perhaps an accurate audience reaction from your own perspective, is kind of lazy criticism if it's not followed up with an explanation of why you think it's bored you. In other words, are you bored because the pacing is terrible and all the scenes run on too long or are you bored because you don't like the premise and this kind of show isn't really for you. Those are two quite different things.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've only been able to get that layer mask shit to work once. :(
Don't worry about it. Most people will never notice. Also the camera has to be still for it to work. I suppose a guide could be written for making gifs from anime so that everyone can join in.

e_i

Doki Doki Precure ep 3

Rikka needs to marry Mana right away. No guy is going to get in between Rikka and her waifu.

I believe that it represents how unbalanced the world is. If you look at the rock you feel like it should be falling over, considering how much weight is sitting on such a small base - it just seems like it's far too heavy to stay up right. You could also read it as suggesting how many important things depend on a very few things.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that structure before, but it definitely has a very unique look. I like this read on it. I think you could also look at it as representing the relationship between the humans and monster rats, with the rats having so little power but forming the backbone of society, and showing how everything could completely fall apart if the balance of power shifts.

A lot of From the New World has to do with different balances of power (the humans vs the monster rats, the ethics committee vs the society at large, people playing god with societal makeup), so looking at that, you can see it as a visual representation of that unbalance, and it shows how even the tiniest shift in one of those people could cause everything to come crumbling down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom