• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 6•24-26•16 - ID4:2 & Deadpool bump (lol) not enough; Dory just keeps swimming~

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Dory should be the 5th fastest film to 400M coming just ahead of Avatar.

Agreed. It should happen next Friday, which would be day 22.

So in the end, Independence Day Resurgence managed to beat Tarzan's Friday without previews number by $500k.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Friday Studio Estimates:

1) The Purge: Election Year - $14.5M

Gp87149.gif

I'm gonna see Tarzan next week. But before that I'm going to see The Secret Life of Pets and I'm actually really curious to see it.

Also new Ice Age next week, dubbed though. I hate dubs. Always original, always!

kswiston

Wasn't $7M slightly ABOVE recent projections for BFG? Also, good for Purge! Loved the second one.

About on par with what Deadline had and above what boxoffice.com had. For once, everything is meeting or surpassing expectations. Especially Tarzan.

y2dvd

Saw The Shallow and was pleasantly entertained lol. I suppose I need to watch the Purge 1&2 to get to part 3.

I was at the toy section in Target looking for a b-day gift for my nephew and saw that all of the new ghostbusters movie toys were already marked for clearance.

I was at the toy section in Target looking for a b-day gift for my nephew and saw that all of the new ghostbusters movie toys were already marked for clearance.

The reviews should be hitting soon. It won't be long until we all know if the lousy trailers were indeed a solid indication of the shitstorm to come.

Loxley

Not to derail the thread, but out of curiosity, was the Ghostbusters stuff by the typical boy-focused toys or the more girl-focused stuff (or both?) I know Targets have been removing the "boy" and "girl" labels in their toy aisles recently, but since toy marketing has been so linearly black and white since the beginning of time I'd be curious to see if the kids merch for this movie is seemingly pushed towards one gender over the other.

Not to derail the thread, but out of curiosity, was the Ghostbusters stuff by the typical boy-focused toys or the more girl-focused stuff (or both?) I know Targets have been removing the "boy" and "girl" labels in their toy aisles recently, but since toy marketing has been so linearly black and white since the beginning of time I'd be curious to see if the kids merch for this movie is seemingly pushed towards one gender over the other.

Right next to the TMNT stuff. It was really small, like two little rows worth of toys of the female busters and the Marshmallow Man.

kswiston

Studio estimates will be out in a couple of hours, but we have some rough Saturday numbers on BOT. Tarzan held pretty well on Saturday. The Purge was as frontloaded as always.

My guess at Friday-Sunday weekend numbers:

Finding Dory - $41M
The Legend of Tarzan - $36-37M
The Purge - $31-32M
The BFG - $19M
Independence Day Resurgence - $16M

kswiston

lol wtf Tarzan
It almost seems like it will do ok

Yeah. It's Friday-Monday 4-day take will probably be in the $43-45M range, which is bigger than the 5-day opening for Genisys last year. Genisys went on to make $90M domestic.

Definitely not great for a film that cost $180M, but not the dumpster fire we were expecting.

It would be funny to see Tarzan top Independence Day Resurgence domestically.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates (Fri-Sun):

1) Finding Dory - $41.9M - $372M total
2) The Legend of Tarzan - $38.1M
3) The Purge: Election Year - $30.9M
4) The BFG - $19.6M
5) Indepedence Day Resurgence - $16.5M - $73M total
6) Central Intelligence - $12.3M - $92M total
7) The Shallows - $9.0M - $35M total
8) The Free State of Jones - $4.1M - $15M total
9) The Conjuring 2 - $3.8M - $95M total
10) Now You See Me 2 - $3.0M - $59M total