• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestlemania XXX Week |OT| We are all legit shook

Are you legit shook?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

I like how people think it was a botched ending, or something 'went wrong', even though they had 21-1 on the big screens.

..Oh wait, they probably have that just in case 'something goes wrong'.

Since we don't know how those graphics are even made, pointing "but they had 21-1 ready" is a pretty weak argument. If those graphics are made in the same way that wrestler title cards are made, those can be made on the fly.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Bkj7hY0CEAAXIkz.jpg
CM Gut

Kaladin

WWE Stock Taking a Hit Today Following Network Subscriber Announcement
Posted by Larry Csonka on 04.07.2014

Wall Street is not impressed…

- Earlier today, WWE announced that they currently have 667,287 subscribers for the WWE Network after 42 days of operation. They also stated that the Network was well on its way to reaching its goal of 1 million subscribers by the end of 2014.

This announcement has not impressed Wall Street. So far for today (10:25 AM ET), WWE's stock is down over 14% ($4.04) to $23.99.

Might be time to buy.

Sanjuro

With those comments I would argue you are not the person they are targeting

I would argue I'm the exact person they are targeting.

The WWE wants those fringe fans more than anything. They know the people already absorbing all their programing are going to pay for it.

Kaladin

After Sting strongly teased he may be WWE-bound at the Wrestlecon convention over the weekend, TNA removed his profile from their official website.

bodine1231

What's the best fan made wrestling podcast? I'm dying to listen to some commentary on last nights events from some die hard watchers. I only started rewatching when the network launched so I've been out of the loop for years.

Xater

After Sting strongly teased he may be WWE-bound at the Wrestlecon convention over the weekend, TNA removed his profile from their official website.

Did they really think he would come back? He has been gone for awhile and they have no new TV deal. Sting was signing with WWE no matter what, the question was probably just for how much.

If this is the start of Steph and Trips' WWE, I'm 100% on board. I thought the overarching story of the card was great-they started the show with legends, showcased the next generation of stars, and ended it with a new top guy. All of the Attitude-era guys lost, and in definitive fashion. More than even WM18, this felt like the beginning of a new era.

I don't even hate Cena winning that much; I picked him to win, and I thought the "legacy" story would unfold pretty much the way it did. I thought Bray would pick at Cena's psyche, and the match would end with Cena winning, but breaking his "hustle, loyalty, respect" credo, and thus, Bray would have won the war, by showing the Little Jimmies that they were worshiping a false idol all along. So the finish was disappointing for me, but the people who were immediately whining about Bray being "buried" are crazy; he looked like a star tonight. I was concerned that the character of Bray Wyatt wouldn't hold up to the in-ring performer of Bray Wyatt, and I was happy to be wrong.

As far as Taker, I think Brock was as good a guy as any to break the streak. I don't think an "up and comer" should have broken it, because the story they've been telling the last five years has been as much about the legacies of the guy facing Taker as it's been about Taker himself. Putting Roman Reigns, or whoever, in there after those four matches with Shawn and Triple H would be horrible storytelling. The only other person on the roster who it possibly could have been would have been Cena, and there's no way they'd open him up to that amount of backlash.

Where I think it fell apart was in the build. In hindsight, I kinda like Vince's idea of never letting Brock touch Taker throughout the build. Let Taker do all of his Undertaker Things; the mind games, the druids, the caskets, all of it. They used to tell a great story about how Undertaker's victims were beaten before the match started because of the legend of the Undertaker, and how that gets in their heads. They could have gone back to that, and then when they finally get in the ring, we see what we actually saw, that the legend of the Undertaker no longer matches the reality of the Undertaker...that he's just an old, broken down man who's spirit still may have the fight, but his body and time has betrayed him.

And then Brock straight murderdeathkills him.

I think that story would have had some weight, but they really needed to go all of the way with it, and they didn't. Also, the announcer completely shit over the weight of that moment. I've never missed JR more than that moment last night; JR would have sat in stunned silence, then given the proper weight of what we just witnessed. It was handled perfectly otherwise-with the stunned silence of the crowd, Justin Roberts announcing the winner almost in disbelief, and the delayed playing of Brock's music...but the announce team failed on all counts.

But all in all, that was one of my favorite Manias of all time, and I'm glad I got to see it live. Big props to the WWE Network team, outside of a drop to SD before the Bray/Cena match, and the weird audio thing in the pre-show, my stream was rock solid.

also, Renee Young goddamn

joeposh

The funniest thing about Brock going over on Taker are the countless comments in the lead up to the match saying the build made no sense since obviously Brock wouldn't win. "Why are they making the Undertaker look so strong?" was a mantra repeated over and over after the contract signing segment.

Folks were lamenting that this match would do nothing for Brock... then he shocks us all and wins, and people shift to saying it's a waste. Why let a part-timer break the streak when they could have given it to Punk last year (i.e. part-timer < no-timer? Yeah, that makes sense).

Legit shook indeed.

Mengetsu

Wall Street is not impressed&#8230;

- Earlier today, WWE announced that they currently have 667,287 subscribers for the WWE Network after 42 days of operation. They also stated that the Network was well on its way to reaching its goal of 1 million subscribers by the end of 2014.

This announcement has not impressed Wall Street. So far for today (10:25 AM ET), WWE's stock is down over 14% ($4.04) to $23.99.

I find that number off...Surely there are over a million wrestling fans in the US? Raw averages what 2-3 million viewers a week? I can't believe only 600,000+ subscribed. I could see why the stock took a hit.

ElRenoRaven

I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of Mark Calaway and I really think he just wanted this to be over. Not a spur of the moment decision, but well planned. I think he just wants to be done with wrestling. Hell, he only shows up a few weeks out of the year anyway, and it was obvious after last night's match, he really can't go anymore. Taking a year off between matches probably makes it harder to come back each and every year and give a quality match, especially at his age. What's the point at this point? He's done it all, and the man himself...just looked fucking old and tired last night in the ring.

Serious now. I do agree I think Mark wanted to retire. It's a known fact his health has taken a hit the last several years. His hips are shot. His knees are shot. Gotta figure his back isn't in the greatest shape ever either. So his time was coming. He knew it and we did. So like a real pro and stand up guy he went out the way you go out in the business. On your back.

The match I don't think was as bad as people thought but it wasn't his greatest. I don't think that's because of him entirely though. The man when you give him someone who can work is great. Hell he had great matches with some awful talents through the years. But Brock just isn't that great. He has always been sloppy and since coming back he has suffered from the same problems Batista has granted not to the level batista has. Brock though does get gassed a bit easier then he should. So you combine his sloppiness with that fact and I'm honestly surprised the match wasn't worse then it was.

Ideally I'd have loved to see Taker and Bray be the WM match for this year. Imagine Bray and the rest of the Wyatt's having the psychological battles they did with Taker. Then imagine Wyatt breaking the streak. That would have made him. I don't think others are right either in that breaking it would doom anyone. Fans aren't as stupid as a lot of us want to believe. I don't think breaking the streak would have hurt anyone but Cena. The fans probably would have rioted had someone like Cena done it.

But yea I've rambled and I'm sure some will disagree but that's my thoughts. Today though I'm not going to lie. I'm sad. One of my idols in this business is gone for good probably. I don't have many left now and it makes me feel old.

Oh and also I don't think we'll see Sting/Taker next year. I really don't. I think while they'd probably like to do it health issues won't allow that and I think both know that they wouldn't be able to really shine the way they should be able to. I'd bet on a final Sting Flair match or something like that. Course who knows they could surprise me and that could be Taker's final match. Either way I wouldn't mind that. It would be awesome to see Taker and Sting go at it to finish out their careers. If anyone could put on one final great match it would be those two without a doubt.

Now that I've had time to think about it, it makes sense for Cena not to put Bray over

because not putting talent over is, was, and always will be cena's legacy

bill0527

The conspiracy theorist in me is wondering if this wasn't part of Brock's deal to get him to sign back with WWE. Letting him end the streak. And was this what Undertaker was referring to a few years ago when he showed up at the UFC PPV and asked Brock 'if he was ready to do this?'.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I find that number off...Surely there are over a million wrestling fans in the US? Raw averages what 2-3 million viewers a week? I can't believe only 600,000+ subscribed. I could see why the stock took a hit.

Not to paint a lot of people with a broad brush but:

There are a lot of hillbillies that make up that 2-3 million viewers that don't understand the internet or don't have access to it

There's a LOT of gamers who don't like online-only things

njean777

Quick question for you guys: if I subscribe to the wwe network can I watch raw on demand? I usually do not have time to watch it Mondays but Tuesdays I do, so can I watch it the day after it airs?

Wall Street is not impressed…

Sell on good news, buy on bad.

bill0527

Well then no subscription from me then. Damn I was interested in it before I found that out. Thanks for the quick answer.

It doesn't really make much business sense to put them on the Network. They have lucrative TV deals and in fact..are shopping for new TV deals right now. Nobody would want to touch a TV deal with them if a million people are watching it on their own network.

Ithil

If nothing else, this is genuinely a memorable Wrestlemania, something I feel it's lacked for many years. Recent WMs have had one memorable part, such as HBK's final match, or whatever, but overall not been notable.

This is going to go down as one of the most memorable WMs ever, I think, mainly for the two big moments of Taker losing and Bryan winning the title, but it was peppered with memorable other stuff like Hogan/Austin/Rock opening, Cesaro bodyslamming Big Show, Bray's awesome entrance, the great HHH/Bryan opener, the amazing stage set-up, etc.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Quick question for you guys: if I subscribe to the wwe network can I watch raw on demand? I usually do not have time to watch it Mondays but Tuesdays I do, so can I watch it the day after it airs?

As others have said, it is not. It's one of the few pitfalls of it, but the amount of other content (PPVs, 'new shows', etc.) is absolutely worth the money.

Also:

4dDbuCz.jpg

Kaladin

Question:

Do you guys think Raw will push this thread close to or over 20k posts?

We've got a ton of ratings this month.

I think what we'll need is to actively watch the thread during Raw, and if it does reach that # to just switch over to the April Wrasslin thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom