• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So let's make a NeoGAF national television ad and put it on Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies.
wwm0nkey said:
I am honestly just throwing out random ideas here. I Just like to come up with and state random ideas that I have and draw story boards of them.
(I like to draw)
Actually I can see that I sorta misunderstodd your other post, so sorry for being a bit snarky. Carry on :D

Nameless

here is a an extremely simple and quick sample of my idea for the commercial to celebrate GAF & Country w/ arabic narration. basically I just took a USA tribute vid and threw some Arabic speech on top of it. But you should be able to envision the gist of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyHZQi_vDdk

We have to keep in my mind that while we want to triumph GAF, this is FOX News and this magical opportunity to poke fun at, or evoke a reaction out of their average idiot viewer shouldn't be wasted. Anything we come up with should do both.

wwm0nkey said:
I am honestly just throwing out random ideas here. I Just like to come up with and state random ideas that I have and draw story boards of them.
(I like to draw)

Oh also for anyone that was interested in my idea I finished my 3 page story board if anyone wants to see it.

Just post em damnit. Oh and get to work on storyboarding my serious ad proposal. it's gold too.

wwm0nkey

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Just post em damnit. Oh and get to work on storyboarding my serious ad proposal. it's gold too.
Trying to get my scanner to work at the moment, I will post them as soon as I can scan them. Keep in mind they are extremely amateur but it gets the point across.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nameless said:
here is a an extremely simple and quick sample of my idea for the commercial to celebrate GAF & Country w/ arabic narration. basically I just took a USA tribute vid and threw some Arabic speech on top of it. But you should be able to envision the gist of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyHZQi_vDdk

We have to keep in my mind that while we want to triumph GAF, this is FOX News and this magical opportunity to poke fun at, or evoke a reaction out of their average idiot viewer shouldn't be wasted. Anything we come up with should do both.

I like it, I like it. Now, is there a space for either a dinosaur or a lazer in your vision??

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Jedeye Sniv said:
I like it, I like it. Now, is there a space for either a dinosaur or a lazer in your vision??
I don't think Evilore likes dinosaurs or lasers very much.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
RubxQub said:

Dammit! :lol

That's why if we keep them real small he won't know about it. Or put them behind him (in the video). If we just keep it on the dl, play it cool then we should be good.

Also, no dinos or lazers - how about a komodo dragon and a flashlight??

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
RubxQub said:

WTF?

2qjlhdz.jpg

Who couldn't love that adorable guy?

Also:

51cb4m.jpg

I still love Evilore's second audio recording with slight changes. When paced well with the proper visuals I think it would work.

"America, you believe in our constitution..."
"...and the premise of freedom, justice, and liberty?"
Flag fits perfectly. Maybe mix in the statue of liberty.
"You also believe in God, and cable news networks..."
http://www.fotosearch.com/THK730/v0018606/ We need a better video example than this. Someone had footage of a church that would work perfectly.
"...though not necessarily in that order."
"But now the time has come to set aside all those things and put your faith in what matters most:"
Cue MODUS Stuff. Maybe add in some flashes of some popular NeoGAF threads that are quickly retreating into the NeoGAF ball as it combines. The posts (image captures of archived threads) would retreat into the glowing center. It's hard to describe but maybe someone can put this idea into visuals. WWMMonkey? The idea is similar to your story boards. Maybe you can work with it?
"Video game discussion on the Internet."

"NeoGAF."
"Believe."

This basically just takes Shanadeus' original concept and mixes it up to sound more fluid. Shanadeus had some great public domain vids that would go well with this as well. Ending with some graphics by Modus would be perfect. Actually, Modus' stuff is the no brainer when it comes to ending the commercial.

Now I want to get out of work, go home and edit this together just to see how it works with Evilore's voice over.

EDIT: Music. For everything up to "VIDEO GAME DISCUSSION" we could have a low volume God Bless America playing in the background. After that, we jump into something crazy for the final graphical sequence. Someone created a demo video for a commercial earlier that would work perfectly.

Nameless

Jedeye Sniv said:

How about rifles & Raptor Jesus??

Whatever really. I just think it would be hilarious to see people throw a tift at a commercial preaching their values just because it was spoken in a certain language. It would poke fun at the fact that conservatives & neo-cons often fear what they don't understand. These are the same people who not too long ago were calling our President is an Islamic terrorist just based off his name :lol

I see tons of great ideas being given. But again, remember Fox News was selected as the target for a reason

Although I love many of the ideas suggested already (M0dus your renders are hot) I think we should explain WHY Gaf is so awesome, perhaps playing on the gaming industry impact we have. I envision the audience seeing a Gaf commercial and having that "whoa, cool." feeling on our viewers.

For example, take the Gaf > internet > Gaf concept. Lot's of stuff is posted HERE first. Our community has an impact on the gaming industry. Hell, we've got some of the best right here among us. Not only do we have a hilarious, vibrant, and intelligent community (many sites do) but we ALSO have this great industry connection. There are some great ways we could showcase this that would also be funny and could include some of the other ideas mentioned.

Gotta run into a meeting for now but the end should definitely include the M0dus renders. :)

chapel

Banned
Could we get an affordable ad on Adult Swim? Fox News would be funny, but most definitely would be lost to anyone outside of us. Adult Swim might be a good lol worthy attempt and claim a more rounded audience for the lolz.

I approve of this endeavor either way.

Evilore has a sexy voice.*

*This may or may not be sucking up.

impirius said:
Can we change the "BELIEVE" text under the logotype to read "Neocon Grassroots Activist Forum" once we run the ad?

hilarious. If not this, then there might be something we can do with the

NeoGaf
NeoCon

similarity

Fatalah

So how will we target the TV spot? Why not focus on America's smaller markets? This will allow us to stretch the budget across a longer period of time.

Buying time in large markets like NYC and LA would simply annihilate the budget.

Fatalah said:
So how will we target the TV spot? Why not focus on America's smaller markets? This will allow us to stretch the budget across a longer period of time.

Buying time in large markets like NYC and LA would simply annihilate the budget.
There is no real target according to evilore. He's doing this for the fun of it and I think the plan is only to run it once.

What about trying something interactive?

I know it'd be tough since viewers won't be registered members, but there might be something new/cool we could think up with all of this talent on here...

EviLore said:
We have a few different directions we can go in. The main thing we absolutely shouldn't do is go with stupid internet meme shit. This is the sort of project that, if done right, could be memorable and classic. So we should be able to look at it on youtube in a few years and get a big smile, not roll our eyes at whatever stupid played out meme was on display.

So:

A) Subtle satire @ the Fox News audience

or

B) Playing it relatively straight, like something similar to my little audio clip.
Quoting for people who might be jumping on board.

Corum

After lots of ideas being thrown around, I think a bit of direction may be required just so we can start producing some low-level mock-ups, perhaps EviLore can interject and state which ideas he favours?

Shanadeus

Banned
Corum said:
After lots of ideas being thrown around, I think a bit of direction may be required just so we can start producing some low-level mock-ups, perhaps EviLore can interject and state which ideas he favours?

I have a mock-up for this:

-Black screen, patriotic music/national anthem-
"DO YOU BELIEVE IN YOUR COUNTRY?"
-Flashes in white to a panning of: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/PBBP_American_Flag.jpg -
"DO YOU BELIEVE IN FREEDOM?"
-Flashes in white to a panning of: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/37/Liberty-statue-from-below.jpg/800px-Liberty-statue-from-below.jpg -
"DO YOU BELIEVE IN LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS"
-Flashes in white to a panning of: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/Family_on_a_beach.jpg/800px-Family_on_a_beach.jpg -
"DO YOU BELIEVE IN ONE NATION UNDER GOD?"
-Flashes in white to a panning of: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Baldknobcross.jpg -
"DO"
-Make a dun-dunn sound like in transformers and flash the DO in and out of focus+darkness (ex. sound: http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=92630 ) -
"YOU"
-Flashes of gaf-related images faster and faster, while increasing the tempo of the beat-
"BELIEVE"
-Make a roar-like sound or something (ex: http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=84557) -
-Then explode everything ( http://www.fotosearch.com/CSV000/k1901799/-
-The screen goes white, and you see m0dus logo appear-
"NEOGAF" - Appears underneath the logo
-Fade out to a white screen and the following text appears:-
"BELIEVE" - Appearing in the middle of the screen and whispered

ready but my computer is problematic so I'll try to get it up tomorrow.

First thing I thought of in regards to a NeoGAF ad is the camera looking at a guys face. He is sitting in what looks like a living room with the faint light of, one can rightly assume, a monitor reflecting on his face. The ad is silent aside from a dramatic piano piece playing in the background. Something like Moonlight Sonata. His face goes through the emotions of GAF. He laughs. It cuts to him very angry. It cuts to him looks celebratory; a fist pump maybe. The final shot will be a look of awe, with a single tear rolling down his face. All in slight slow motion for dramatic effect. Fade to black with NeoGAF ball logo. Fade in 'Believe'.

Corum said:

Agreed.

I have another rough idea that needs refining. just kinda typed it out late last night.
I'm hoping all of you can fill in the blanks:

EviLore walking through a call center talking to the camera about the benefits of NeoGAF.
As he is talking, he is walking past cubicles with people helping people in the background with issues like:

Poli-GAF cubicle
[insert some response about Obama =/= Bush or some other political hot button]

Girl-Age cubicle
[insert clever response from girl-age thread - "Maybe you should F.H.U.T.A."]

Compu-Age cubicle
[insert clever response from computer-age - Mac/PC, iPhone/Android or whatever]

Sales-Age cubicle
[insert clever response from sales-age thread like a VGCz diss]

System Warz cubicle
[insert some flameworthy statement coming from the other side of the phone]
-Evilore leans over and hits the BANNED button.

Followed up with EviLore saying:
"Not only do we know everything but everyone here is an expert."
-or-
"NeoGAF is 24 hours a day of Awesome, because everyone here is an expert."

[m0dus NeoGAF logo animation]
BELIEVE

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I have another rough idea that needs refining. just kinda typed it out late last night.

EviLore walking through a call center talking to the camera about the benefits of NeoGAF.
As he is talking, he is walking past cubicles with people helping people in the background with issues like:

Poli-GAF cubicle

Girl-Age cubicle

Compu-Age cubicle

Sales-Age cubicle

System Warz cubicle

-or-

BELIEVE

I actually kind of like this one. It's clever.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EviLore said:
What do you want then? Anything more specific then us being "Badass"?

If thats the case, we might as well just have Dudebro on screen for 30 seconds talking about NeoGAF in an over the top speech.

Fatalah

DoctorWho said:
There is no real target according to evilore. He's doing this for the fun of it and I think the plan is only to run it once.

I propose that we run the spot in Kansas, and Kansas ONLY.

I want to see an influx of Kansans. We need some good old-fashioned true Americans on this board.

1-16.jpg

pirata

Fatalah said:
I propose that we run the spot in Kansas, and Kansas ONLY.

I want to see an influx of Kansans. We need some good old-fashioned true Americans on this board.

You know, it would be pretty funny if we concentrated all of our resources on one really small area. Like, a single city, or a college town. Run a really intense campaign (it would be even funnier if the ad was tailor-made for that area...we could even do some internet detective work on some of the people who live there and make the ad call them out: "Brad, your girlfriend Jenna is pretty lame. You should dump her, hit on that hot girl Hanna in your apartment complex, and log onto NeoGAF.com for tips on where you should or should not stick it!")

Piano

Banned
Shanadeus said:
I have a mock-up for this:

ready but my computer is problematic so I'll try to get it up tomorrow.

Love it, and it would be relatively easy to produce.
If we're directing people to neogaf.com, it'd be awesome if we could temporarily replace the homescreen with some sort of patriotic american flag motif :lol

Razor210

BlackNMild2k1 said:

Poli-GAF cubicle

Girl-Age cubicle

Compu-Age cubicle

Sales-Age cubicle

System Warz cubicle

-or-

BELIEVE
I was making a reply, and then I saw this.

Probably unrealistic, but this is awesome.

You think the lengthy approval process and massive amount of lurkers is a worthy issue to poke fun of? A lot of people are throwing around the idea of including classic GAF thread trends etc, which I think is a great idea, but I think the member process has some humor to be mined out of it.

Something like a kid staring at an unopened toy, perhaps an action figure

You can tell he is just dying to play with it, but some ominous adult like figure says, "No you can't play with it yet!, Three more months!"

Then quick cut, text saying three months later, kid opens it and makes the action figure do a FHUTA to another action figure (in a subtle way, not straight up simulated sex but them kind of banging together), then the ominous adult sweeps in, steals the toy back and says, sorry that is a banned meme.

Cut to nice GAF logo (m0dus), "Still can't post?" fade out in to new text, "Maybe someday", fade out to new text, "Believe"

Burger

ACE 1991 said:
I would totally donate money to make this happen.

Wouldn't that be like donating money to a business ??

To quote a 1UP article on neogaf.com:

In January alone, NeoGAF scored 30 million page views from 750,000 unique visitors. And Malka, needless to say, is now self-employed.

When are we going to stand up and say you know what, enough is enough and I want the old NeoGAF back. Remember the days when you knew most posters by their username? Do you remember the days of the Revolution? What about the days when people had PSPs - remember those? - and exchanged them for nude photos. That's the NeoGAF I remember, America. It wasn't perfect but we lived together, we laughed together, and sometimes we got banned together. We knew we were never alone.

I'm sorry. I just love this forum. And I fear for it. It seems like the mods and now the special interests and media are surrounding us and suffocating our freedom. But if we pull away the curtains there's nothing there. The admin is not an elected official. He is a czar, and I just don't think America needs czars. If we go down this path the special interests and ad men behind his campaign will succeed, and we will fail. That's what this is about

*writes AD REVENUE on chalk board*

It's not about you, it's not about me. It's not about America. But we can change that. I want you to remember where you were back in September of 2005, when everything changed. When we saw what the future of gaming, and the future of this forum would look like. Remember how you felt? The endless possibilities? The feeling of change in the air. It was like power being transferred to your right hand. I want to go back to that time. 9/05. No more special interests. I know you're scared, I know what has you scared. But we can make it if we come together. And tomorrow can be a new day.

Thank you, and may god bless this country.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
BlackNMild2k1 said:

Poli-GAF cubicle

Girl-Age cubicle

Compu-Age cubicle

Sales-Age cubicle

System Warz cubicle

-or-

BELIEVE

Somehow, I imagine this in a Better Off Ted setting.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
msv said:
There was a guy who was in commercials on here. Lots of gaffers are good designers. I bet we could make an awesome commercial, I vote we put in dinosaurs and volcanoes!

If you had dinosaurs and explosions you'd be onto a winner. Explosions make everything cool! :D

Firestorm

PhoenixDark said:
When are we going to stand up and say you know what, enough is enough and I want the old NeoGAF back. Remember the days when you knew most posters by their username? Do you remember the days of the Revolution? What about the days when people had PSPs - remember those? - and exchanged them for nude photos. That's the NeoGAF I remember, America. It wasn't perfect but we lived together, we laughed together, and sometimes we got banned together. We knew we were never alone.

I'm sorry. I just love this forum. And I fear for it. It seems like the mods and now the special interests and media are surrounding us and suffocating our freedom. But if we pull away the curtains there's nothing there. The admin is not an elected official. He is a czar, and I just don't think America needs czars. If we go down this path the special interests and ad men behind his campaign will succeed, and we will fail. That's what this is about

*writes AD REVENUE on chalk board*

It's not about you, it's not about me. It's not about America. But we can change that. I want you to remember where you were back in September of 2005, when everything changed. When we saw what the future of gaming, and the future of this forum would look like. Remember how you felt? The endless possibilities? The feeling of change in the air. It was like power being transferred to your right hand. I want to go back to that time. 9/05. No more special interests. I know you're scared, I know what has you scared. But we can make it if we come together. And tomorrow can be a new day.

Thank you, and may god bless this country.
hoooooooly shit
<3<3<3

Especially appropriate given this would likely air during re-runs of Glenn Beck's show.

Dali

anonymousAversa said:
hilarious. If not this, then there might be something we can do with the

NeoGaf
NeoCon

similarity

Do neocons really call themselves "neocons"? It always seemed like a derogatory way of referring to fringe conservatives. It seems like it would spoil the joke. They'd think something was up as soon as they saw that word used in the commercial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom