• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

farnham

Banned
dq26.jpg

dq22.jpg

wow just wow

Dragon Quest X, if DS's version is successful(outside of Japan obviously :lol ) will go to Wii. It's not a PS3 leap, but it's a pretty big boost over DQ8's visuals/technical aspects on PS2.

It makes you shudder. PSP is now dead. Square-Enix should have just taken the tombstone and put it over the manufacturing plant.

140.85 said:
I've never followed the DQ series...

Is this the equivalent of Square deciding to put FFXIV, i.e., the next iteration of the series, on the Wii?

The thing is, its like these two franchises(the main series) never have been in Nintendo consoles.....oh wait...:lol

gconsole

Soybean said:
Why does Iwata look so unhappy in that picture? It's his megaton moment.

He want DQ9 on Wii , not on the already successed sytem like DS but look like the negotiation failed. [spoil]j/k[/spoil]

jarrod

Banned
Actually, I wonder if this announcement may help 360/Blue Dragon just a little... as that may provide the closest outlet for those who want an HD traditional styled DQ-alike?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'm sure you will get your next-gen DQ as well, or at least plenty of next gen RPG goodness. But this will be a DQ game unlike any before so that IS a new direction isnt it?

I bet this game is gonna be kick ass.

Majmun

I'll stop playing games if Final Fantasy XIV goes handheld exclusive.

I just don't think it's plausible to bring new installments of popular franchises exclusively to a handheld.

You're really missing the potential of the franchise that way....

gamergirly said:
Dragon Quest X, if DS's version is successful(outside of Japan obviously :lol ) will go to Wii. It's not a PS3 leap, but it's a pretty big boost over DQ8's visuals/technical aspects on PS2.

There's no doubt in my mind that it will go to the Wii. SE has proven today that they'll put the game on the system with the largest userbase, which certainly is not a bad business decision by any means; if the PSP was a success and had sold 12 million units in Japan you better believe it would be announced for that system - and many people probably wouldn't be complaining too much.

Final Fantasy=PS3
Dragon Quest=Nintendo

teiresias

AndoCalrissian said:
You can tell this right now... how?

Unless you want me to believe that the DS is going to be pumping out full voice acting and an orchestral score - yeah I can tell this right now.

*Yes, I know those things weren't in the Japanese version of DQ8, but it's one of the things that made DQ8 so engrossing for me.

I'm not sold on the A-rpg aspect at all.

DQ should stick to tradition damnit :/
And yeah, I'd prefer it to be on a more powerful system...but eh it's still DQ and I'll bite.

farnham

Banned
gamergirly said:

It makes you shudder. PSP is now dead. Square-Enix should have just taken the tombstone and put it over the manufacturing plant.

i would bet that DQ 9 will get on Wii and have a connectivity feature to the DS..

nintendo is the master of connectivity and you know they will push it hard..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gamergirly said:

based on what?

IF a future DQ goes to a home console, its more likely to be the PS3 IMO. Just because S-E doesn't want to give everything to Sony, doesn't mean they want to go back to the old days of Nintendo screwing them over.

Most likely they already decided to do something on portable to tide them over while they do a home console version. If so, DS is a no-brainer. But Wii is a stretch

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
:lol :lol I am loving the fanboys claiming gaming is doomed. It seems Dragon Quest might be a deadlock for Nintendo platforms this gen.

Oh man this news is AWESOME! This is a total fanboy meltdown. Who the hell could've prophesized that they'd have the balls to move the main series onto a handheld even in light of Dragon Quest traditionally going to the platform with the largest install base. Well I guess the game will be cool, certainly a completely different direction then I thought it was going to be. I'm willing to give it a shot, I’m not one to give up on a series simply because it changes focus. Graphically it looks superb for the DS and the gameplay could be fun, who knows.

Oh and the DQ swords art is cool. I feel for Toriyama since he CAN'T change his style due to its popularity and it being a staple of the comic industry. Really cool to see him finally say "screw it" and branch out.

EDIT: I edited because it seemed I was hurting people's feelings.

Okay, so I've gathered that DQIX is an ARPG coming to the DS, and I've seen the videos and pictures....

is there some gameplay details out that I've missed? This thread is a beast and I haven't been able to check it all out.

Also, HOLY SHIT!

dark10x said:
Thankfully, I don't play DQ, so this doesn't bother me...

However, I've been throwing out the argument that Nintendo's success is going to have a negative impact on my experiences in the future. I want NEXT-GEN games on 360/PS3 and the Wii/DS success could prevent that from happening as they will end up being developed for and limited by that hardware. Everyone laughed and claimed I was full of it, but you can see right here that I was right. That is EXACTLY what is happening. This same sort of thing is going to start happening on the Wii as well, you can bet on it. I've been looking forward to next generation games from Japanese developers and it looks like I won't be seeing many. Blue Dragon likely sent a message to developers who don't have the backing of MS, so 360 is going to be out. The PS3 situation seems rather dire as well.
I have similar feelings but I think it's going to be a long while before we see the kind of depth and quality of PS3 games from Japanese developers as we saw on PS2 (which was already pretty amazing as of 2001). Like someone else said the early launch of 360 has given a lot of western devs a jump start and even some Sony specific devs (Insomniac, Naughty Dog) seem to be much farther ahead at this point.

farnham

Banned
X26 said:
Holy shit at the page count o_O

So can we expect a PS3 DQ anytime soon, if ever?

well we can expect DQ wii.. pretty soon.. and i would bet DQ 9 will be converted to wii with connectivity...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
dark10x said:
Thankfully, I don't play DQ, so this doesn't bother me...

However, I've been throwing out the argument that Nintendo's success is going to have a negative impact on my experiences in the future. I want NEXT-GEN games on 360/PS3 and the Wii/DS success could prevent that from happening as they will end up being developed for and limited by that hardware. Everyone laughed and claimed I was full of it, but you can see right here that I was right. That is EXACTLY what is happening. This same sort of thing is going to start happening on the Wii as well, you can bet on it. I've been looking forward to next generation games from Japanese developers and it looks like I won't be seeing many. Blue Dragon likely sent a message to developers who don't have the backing of MS, so 360 is going to be out. The PS3 situation seems rather dire as well.

why is the PS3 situation dire? They had a bad launch. They'll either get over it and ship a squillion, or they'll screw themselves

Saoh

gamergirly said:
DAMN! :D

Okay, so Final Fantasy is Sony's and now Dragon Quest is Nintendo's. 1/2 split of Square-Enix for each company is what it's looking like :)

I have to ****ing get a DS now! Whoever is denying themselves just isnt a gamer :lol

well, it depends. dont forget FFTA for GBA, FF12RW and FFCC for DS, FFCC2 for Wii.

not the main series but good games still :)

X26

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
:lol :lol I am loving the fanboy retards claiming gaming is doomed. It seems Dragon Quest might be a deadlock for Nintendo platforms this gen.

Oh man this news is AWESOME! This is a total fanboy meltdown. Who the hell could've prophesized that they'd have the balls to move the main series onto a handheld even in light of Dragon Quest traditionally going to the platform with the largest install base. Well I guess the game will be cool, certainly a completely different direction then I thought it was going to be. I'm willing to give it a shot, I’m not one to give up on a series simply because it changes focus. Graphically it looks superb for the DS and the gameplay could be fun, who knows.

Oh and the DQ swords art is badass. I feel for Toriyama since he CAN'T change his style due to its popularity and it being a staple of the comic industry. Really cool to see him finally say "screw it" and branch out.

Only real fanboys I'm seeing in this thread are of the Nintendo variety *cough* flaming people with legitimate concerns

mrklaw said:
based on what?

IF a future DQ goes to a home console, its more likely to be the PS3 IMO. Just because S-E doesn't want to give everything to Sony, doesn't mean they want to go back to the old days of Nintendo screwing them over.

Most likely they already decided to do something on portable to tide them over while they do a home console version. If so, DS is a no-brainer. But Wii is a stretch
No.

Sony gets Final Fantasy main games and spinoffs and DQ spinoffs, Nintendo gets Dragon Quest main games and spin offs and FF spinoffs. Guarantee it.

Microsoft gets the obscure SE franchises.

cvxfreak said:
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, haters.

Let's run away together, you and me and DQ IX! If there's two other non-haters in this thread they can come with us and we'll all play co-op together.

Mato

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061212/tc_afp/japangamecompany_061212113411

TOKYO (AFP) - Japanese video game developer Square Enix Co has said it would release the next version of its hugely popular "Dragon Quest" role playing series exclusively for the Nintendo DS handheld console.

"Dragon Quest IX", designed specifically for the Nintendo DS, will hit the shelves next year, Square Enix said in a statement Tuesday.

"By taking full advantage of Nintendo DS' wireless communication capability, we have fulfilled the thrill of (the) "network experience" -- embarking on adventures with real 'friends' instead of on your own," the company said.

The decision was seen by some as a setback to Sony because "Dragon Quest" has been one of the flagship titles for its PlayStation series.

Square Enix's decision "was rather unexpected, so it's not a huge vote of confidence for the PlayStation 3," said Hiroshi Kamide, game analyst for KBC Securities.

The PlayStation 3 finally launched last month after a long delay and production problems and faces stiff competition from Nintendo's new home video game console, the Wii.

"Dragon Quest", with its onion-headed mascot "Slime", has sold more than 41 million copies worldwide since its debut in 1986.

UH oh, this is indeed an online game at heart.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
teiresias said:
Unless you want me to believe that the DS is going to be pumping out full voice acting and an orchestral score - yeah I can tell this right now.

*Yes, I know those things weren't in the Japanese version of DQ8, but it's one of the things that made DQ8 so engrossing for me.
Rockman ZX had ALOT of voice acting, in pretty much any serious scene, and I believe they can do the same.

farnham

Banned
so FF is for PS3 FFCC is for Wii DQS is for Wii and DQ 9 is for DS

where will kingdom hearts 3 go...

will there be a kingdom hearts nintendo edition

or maybe mario RPG2 (besides paper mario of course)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
X26 said:
Only real fanboys I'm seeing in this thread are of the Nintnendo variety *cough* flaming people with legitimate concerns
See the previous pages.

I'm just here to watch the trainwreck. This could go either way really. I'm just hoping it ends up being a good game.

Mojojo said:
DQ:S is shaping up nicely. Would'nt surprise me if that game ends up being the first 3rd party big seller on Wii . Genius Sonority is hard at work :D

Looks pretty badass... words "on rails" has me scared though :/... what kind of RPG is on rails? Exploration is a huge part of RPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom