• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360/PS3/WII: Wii Takeover watch

koam

driley said:
great job with this. Did you wrap ChartTrack in with Europe? PS3 will be just fine. It's just having some problems getting it up.

Do you have actual numbers? The ones released the other day were UK only, not europe.

borghe said:
in all video game generations you have three points in the cycle. growth, peak, and decline. they are all pretty self explanatory. the 360 HAS to be in a growth cycle right now, because otherwise it would be a peak (implying it's only going to be around for another 2-3 years tops) or decline (implying it's only going to be around for another 1-2 years tops).
That's an oversimplified way of looking at things. Xbox went down from 2002 to 2003, but went on to have its best year by far in 2004.

DSWii60

So we now know that 9.27 million Wiis were shipped by the end of June. So if we add July NPD + Media-Create numbers from the beginning of July until now we would have updated numbers for everywhere upto June, and US + Japan numbers (when NPD comes out) upto the end of July / early August.

donny2112

DSWii60 said:
So we now know that 9.27 million Wiis were shipped by the end of June. So if we add July NPD + Media-Create numbers from the beginning of July until now we would have updated numbers for everywhere upto June, and US + Japan numbers (when NPD comes out) upto the end of July / early August.

Shipped != Sold

There is an obvious lag between shipping and selling if you look at the U.S. + Canada total through June and the "Americas" shipped number through June. Remember that June NPD actually goes a week into July whereas the shipped number is through June 30.

AniHawk

slaughterking said:
German LTD's up to the end of july according to GfK:

Wii - 291,000
360 - 281,000
PS3 - 99,500

Some very impressive numbers for the Wii.

Or so the Germans would have you believe.

Hero

Someone insert that one image where it goes:

Nintendo -> Sony
Sony -> Nintendo

There is no doubt X360 will do well this holiday season in North America. However, I still have doubts about how much Halo 3 will push systems anymore than last holiday season. Meanwhile, the Wii will sell every unit they can push onto shelves worldwide. The hype train continues.

ziran

slaughterking said:

Wii - 291,000
360 - 281,000
PS3 - 99,500

Numbers for july:

1. Wii - 26,000
2. PS3 - 8,000
3. 360 - 5,000

http://www.n-tv.de/840771.html
Germany has fallen, Wii vanquishes all!

Unbelievable to see Wii continuing to sell at such a phenomenal pace even in July.

AniHawk

This is the first Nintendo console to ever be popular in Europe. It looks like they might be picking up the old Sega crowd.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
AniHawk said:
This is the first Nintendo console to ever be popular in Europe. It looks like they might be picking up the old Sega crowd.

Wait, did Europe not even pick up on the regular Nintendo or the Super? Europe deserves to get games like 2 years after us those snobby bastards.

justjohn

slaughterking said:

Wii - 291,000
360 - 281,000
PS3 - 99,500

Numbers for july:

1. Wii - 26,000
2. PS3 - 8,000
3. 360 - 5,000

failure.jpg

AlternativeUlster

slaughterking said:

Wii - 291,000
360 - 281,000
PS3 - 99,500

Numbers for july:

1. Wii - 26,000
2. PS3 - 8,000
3. 360 - 5,000

Crazy world kids. I thought people from Germany were saying that you can find Wiis everywhere. Probably some troll that has a Tomba tattoo on his neck I suppose.

ziran

AlternativeUlster said:
Wait, did Europe not even pick up on the regular Nintendo or the Super? Europe deserves to get games like 2 years after us those snobby bastards.
Every Nintendo home system has failed to dominate Europe.

NES ---> C64/Amiga
SNES ---> Megadrive/Amiga
N64 ---> PS1
GC ---> PS2

The GB range was popular, but DS and Wii are in a different league. Wii is the first huge selling home system for Nintendo in the region.

EDIT-
During the 80s home computers were by far the most popular systems in the UK and most of Europe, no console had a hold on the market the way NES held NA and Japan.

AlternativeUlster said:
Crazy world kids. I thought people from Germany were saying that you can find Wiis everywhere. Probably some troll that has a Tomba tattoo on his neck I suppose.
No, it's true. You can find the Wii everywhere here in Germany. But that is obviously a good thing seeing these more than healthy sales.

AniHawk

AlternativeUlster said:

The Sega Genesis sold 14m in NA (which the Xbox incidentally outsold), about 3-4m in Japan (the PC Engine/Turbografx was much more popular), and about 11-12m in other regions including Europe and Australia.

Other Nintendo home consoles for the "Other" regions are:

NES: 8.56m
SNES: 8.58m
N64: 6.75m
GC: 4.76m

Wii is currently at 2.51m after 7 months of sales.

Handhelds were always pretty popular. The GB/C sold 42m, the GBA sold 22m, and the DS is currently at 15m.

AlternativeUlster

slaughterking said:
No, it's true. You can find the Wii everywhere here in Germany. But that is obviously a good thing seeing these more than healthy sales.

Yeah, I original thought it just wasn't do well in Germany. I am glad to be mistaken.

the-iek

slaughterking said:
yeah, it's even available on amazon.de

AlternativeUlster

AniHawk said:
The Sega Genesis sold 14m in NA (which the Xbox incidentally outsold), about 3-4m in Japan (the PC Engine/Turbografx was much more popular), and about 11-12m in other regions including Europe and Australia.

Other Nintendo home consoles for the "Other" regions are:

NES: 8.56m
SNES: 8.58m
N64: 6.75m
GC: 4.76m

Wii is currently at 2.51m after 7 months of sales.

Handhelds were always pretty popular. The GB/C sold 42m, the GBA sold 22m, and the DS is currently at 15m.

Those numbers are quite something else. I can't even understand why NES or SNES didn't even catch on at all. Those were the greatest 2 systems of all time. So is it possible then that Super Mario Bros 3 or even the original Super Mario Bros sold less in Europe than Super Mario Land?

AniHawk

AlternativeUlster said:
Those numbers are quite something else. I can't even understand why NES or SNES didn't even catch on at all. Those were the greatest 2 systems of all time. So is it possible then that Super Mario Bros 3 or even the original Super Mario Bros sold less in Europe than Super Mario Land?

I'm pretty sure that's a given. Ever since the Genesis, Sonic has been hugely popular in Europe... the UK especially.

But the NES and SNES were horribly mismanaged. Either Shepp's or Kent's book covers this.

From the link Slaughter provided (thx):

May PS3 numbers: 13.000
May 360 numbers: 8.000

So both went down quite a bit for their July numbers.

Doesn't really come as a surprise. A lot of 360 games can be found on the PC as well which is still very popular here. PS3 is simply too expensive at 599,-. Both consoles are also hurt due to very low HD adoption rate, which isn't bound to change anytime soon since there are too few HD broadcasts.

justjohn

Brakara said:
So, in Germany, PS3 will (at the current pace) pass 360 in 5 years?
the ps3 has been on sale for almost 6 months whilst the 360 has been on sale for like 1 and half years. do the maths

AlternativeUlster said:

Around the NES era home computers (Commodore's, Spectrums and the like) were much more popular, but I belive the Master Sytem still sold more than the NES. The Mega Drive reigned supreme in the 16 bit era, or at least that's how it played out in the UK.

C.T.

justjohn said:
the ps3 has been on sale for almost 6 months whilst the 360 has been on sale for like 1 and half years. do the maths

in 1/3 of the time, the ps3 achieved more than 1/3 of 360 sales? Thats impressive.

Kafel

Banned
Canada in July :

1. Wii : 221 500
2. DS : 192 000
3. PS2: 150 000
4. PSP: 83 000
5. Xbox 360: 65 000
6. GBA: 50 000
7. PS3: 40 000

Xzbeat

Kafel said:
Canada in July :

Is this YTD? Because it would be absolutely impossible for Nintendo to sell 200.000 consoles a month in Canada.

EDIT : Nevermind. Didn't see the Canada NPD thread.

Xzbeat said:
Is this YTD? Because it would be absolutely impossible for Nintendo to sell 200.000 consoles a month in Canada.
It's the YTD Jan-Jun, from the first post of our Canada NPD thread. Looks like a case of GAF -> Internet -> GAF.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kafel said:
Canada in July :

Why are you posting incorrect numbers in multiple threads?

Haunted

slaughterking said:

Wii - 291,000
360 - 281,000
PS3 - 99,500

Numbers for july:

1. Wii - 26,000
2. PS3 - 8,000
3. 360 - 5,000

:O :O

It passed the 360's LTD already?! *raises Nintendo flag in his garden* back on top of the console business, bitches.

Iwata :bow

Phife Dawg said:
Doesn't really come as a surprise. A lot of 360 games can be found on the PC as well which is still very popular here. PS3 is simply too expensive at 599,-. Both consoles are also hurt due to very low HD adoption rate, which isn't bound to change anytime soon since there are too few HD broadcasts.
QFT

There are some tough years ahead for the 360 and PS3 here.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Don't we have relatively up to date France numbers from a month or two ago? I tried searching and couldn't find it..

AlternativeUlster

schuelma said:
Don't we have relatively up to date France numbers from a month or two ago? I tried searching and couldn't find it..

I remember some up to date DS numbers a month ago if thats what you are talking about.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AlternativeUlster said:
I remember some up to date DS numbers a month ago if thats what you are talking about.

Just found it- 410K for Wii up to May.

Top Bottom