• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 3 |OT| Six Seasons and a Movie... feels Goodman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thores

Can someone directly transcribe the little meta conversation that Abed and Evil Abed had at the very end? "This is weird, and unaccessible, and nobody's going to get it" etc? I can't remember Evil Abed's response and it felt important.

YZjC5.png

rXL3v.png

:/

Lijik

Horrible episode. Started out great, and went downhill extremely fast. I felt like I was watching a bad live action episode of Spongebob between scenes like Jeff hulking out and the stupid graphic stuff.

Im a person who has yet to feel truly disappointed in a episode of this show until tonight. I also normally love it when this show takes its flights of fancy like Season 2 or this season's musical opener. I really hope this isn't indicative of the quality for the rest of the season D=

EDIT- ^ UGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GROAN MOAN WHINE
Fuckbags horsebag gamegold

I dont know whether to be upset more at more bad cartoon graphic gags or a severe lack of ian duncan.

btkadams

i enjoyed tonight's episode more than the last one. like waaaay more. it tore my heart apart at the end.

also, @roosters93, it honestly seems like he is trolling. dan harmon has a habit of freaking out at people on twitter lol.

Slevin

It was a decent episode. I don't mind the silliness but it's definitely not accessible for first time viewers.

My parents watched for the first time tonight. My dad didn't like it and said he was really lost at the dreamatorium scene. I think this season really relies on having watched the first two seasons to truly "get" it. It's the same way I felt about The Office the first time I watched a random episode. Didn't understand the humor or characters and really disliked it. Then I gave it a chance and watched from the beginning and it ended up becoming one of my favorite shows ever.

The graphics do need to go away. This continuing use of visual effects detracts from the fact the show's actors and writers are performing at a level higher than nearly everyone else out there just with normal tools. Ditch the gimmickry. It's not damaging yet but it's unnecessary and unwelcome.

More stuff like the anime scene in ep9 are welcome, however.

Lijik

The graphics do need to go away. This continuing use of visual effects detracts from the fact the show's actors and writers are performing at a level higher than nearly everyone else out there just with normal tools. Ditch the gimmickry. It's not damaging yet but it's unnecessary and unwelcome.

More stuff like the anime scene in ep9 are welcome, however.

I really loved the timecard gag from last weeks episode. The visual effect stuff tonight didn't have that kind of punch, and also had a really cheap low-budget feel that I don't normally associate with this show.

It feels gimmicky and cartoony for the sake of being gimmicky and cartoony. Not because its actually funny or right for the show

I really loved the timecard gag from last weeks episode. The visual effect stuff tonight didn't have that kind of punch, and also had a really cheap low-budget feel that I don't normally associate with this show.

It feels gimmicky and cartoony for the sake of being gimmicky and cartoony. Not because its actually funny or right for the show.

A big part of why the stuff worked last week is because it never happens. Now it's happened twice in a row, and I'm less pleased about that. Chances are it's mostly because the effects here were unnecessary- the apple or the thought bubbles didn't make people laugh, that's for sure-, so if next week has more of them but they're funny, eh, I probably won't mind.

But I'd rather they weren't there. For the reasons you say.

fisheyes

I don't understand the complaints about the general use of graphics when this show has, for a long time, constantly used different elements from different genres, and constantly used elements that aren't 'normal'. My only problem was that there weren't really any bonuses to using them - unlike Jeff's heart last week, where you got things like Annie's boobs as at least a side joke, this week we had an apple retelling a joke that already existed and also, spelling things out way to much (we get its his 'ego apple', it doesn't need to say 'EGO' in big letters)

I enjoyed this episode. I thought it was better than last week's, at least.

Wow. Season 3 (in HD!) is available for $19.99 for the whole season on iTunes right now.

Insane price to get episodes in HD the day after they air. I have not checked to see if other legit sources are that cheap right now.

big ander

Loved the episode. I understand thinking plenty of it was silly; the actual scene of Jeff's freakout and Chang's tag scene were a little ridiculous. But dammit if the entire episode wasn't hysterical. Moby impersonator, high buttcrack, both michael jacksons, fat brando/burt reynolds/fat burt, using an apple to demonstrate, hothothot, and more. It was hysterical.

The Jeff plot had a nice small bit of character work to it, even if it didn't grow him out as much as I would have liked. But it's still impossible to knock what he learned tonight as being negligible: Jeff learned that he's still very much a work in progress, and his problems are only beginning to be confronted.

And of course, Troy and Abed. That was so good. The perfect balance of self-reflexivity, unique situation, and universal emotion. Simply amazing.

I really liked today's episode, and had a smile on my face for most of it. I can see how people don't like the cartoony gags, and I do agree that used too often will kinda make the show a bit too "cartoony."

I can't help but compare this episode with the one in season 2 with the Inception parody. It was done subtly, and not heavy-handed and the stuff in the last few episodes. I liked the Chang setup, but I'm not sure how I'm going to like the Evil Abed stuff. I just hope there's a pay-off with that this season unlike Pierce's drug use last season.

Wow. Season 3 (in HD!) is available for $19.99 for the whole season on iTunes right now.

Insane price to get episodes in HD the day after they air. I have not checked to see if other legit sources are that cheap right now.

It's been at that price on iTunes and XBL for over a week now. Seasons 1 and 2 on sale as well.

I've finally saw this morning. I enjoyed it. Pacing wise, it's a bit scattered, but that's kinda the issue with an ensemble cast that's not confined to the same room: people are split doing their own thing, and it becomes harder and harder to keep track of everyone.

But yeah, shit got dark.

And as for the visual gags: really? I get the complaint about having it two episodes in a row back to back, but somehow these are bad and the anime one is ok? Just seems like a wonky double standard that apparently Community can't go lowbrow route. It's been a series that's more than willing to do stupid things just for the sake of them (announcing a bottle episode, in the bottle episode?), so why not cheap visual gags to setup?

The other thing that may actually be happening, if you've seen the S2 dvd's, is possibly budget concerns: since these weren't airing right away, they were able to plan out how to allocate their cost on the episodes, and these ones may be done "on the cheap" (like the bottle episode) just to keep things in line.

Loxley

Meh, overall it was a pretty weak episode in my opinion. The highlights for me were Dean Pelton crumbling at the sight of Jeff in aviators and seeing Abed use the Dreamatorium at the end.

Although the "both versions of Michael Jackson" line was pretty good.

big ander

Ratings dropped back down to a 1.7...

...and it was the highest-rated show on NBC which, in my mind, combines with nearing syndication prospects to solidify its position ahead of Up All Night and even 30 Rock. Meaning it'll probably be renewed.

EDIT: And even thinking about how some people are saying "we'll see when BBT gets back," I don't think it matters. If BBT and Community have such overlap that one being gone boosts the ratings of the other, doesn't that mean Community would be even more favored for renewal? Because it sharing viewers in that way means it's at least worthy of fighting against BBT. A new show might not split the audience any.

Rinoa

All I remember about Annie in this episode is her face when jeff took off his shirt.

Britta's white michael jackson was pretty good, I died when Troy made her walk backwards to talk.

All I remember about Annie in this episode is her face when jeff took off his shirt.

Britta's white michael jackson was pretty good, I died when Troy made her walk backwards to talk.

She had a similar reaction early in the episode. Two of my favorite moments in the show. I love Horny Annie.

I don't think the idea of the graphics was that bad. But Chang's could have used some fine-tuning and we probably only needed to see Jeff's Apple Ego once: when it exploded.

Oh snap, I just realised something. Putting this in spoilers, because although it's speculation, it's probably right. Also, it concerns a future episode we already know about.

The Dreamatorium episode... Annie's going to have to fight Evil Abed, isn't she?

Canuck76

Banned
Not a very good ep to me, probably worse than last weeks. Didn't really like anything except Troy and Abed having a disagreement and having to figure that out.

One of my favorite parts of the series was Troy's birthday and him driving everyone home and you kind of see him growing into a leadership role, or at least more of a man. I like how this is slowly kind of coming into conflict with Abed's childlike ways. And you saw a bit of that this week. The whole dark abed thing really sullied it though and i hope that was just supposed to be a funny one off.

Yeah on the whole the ep just was not funny. The whole impersonation thing was just a big one-off, i thought they really could have gotten more mileage out of everybodys characters but it's like they just expected you to laugh at them dressing up. Jeff's whole anxiety thing was poorly acted, he didn't seem hugely different from normal and it was just a poor plot. Changs plot was also pretty bad, waaay too cartoonish with the thought bubbles.

I think less Chang is better, they did get me with that shooting of the window that was pretty good, but his character has kind of changed for the worse. I think it was better when he was just "crazy college teacher". You didn't know much about him you just saw all these weird and off-beat things he did and he was rarely the focus of the subplots. He would just be in the background.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Those impersonators were boss. Not sure I was a huge fan of the story of this ep though.

Oh snap, I just realised something. Putting this in spoilers, because although it's speculation, it's probably right. Also, it concerns a future episode we already know about.

The Dreamatorium episode... Annie's going to have to fight Evil Abed, isn't she?

I bet Evil Abed is the one that kisses Annie

aparisi2274

Not sure if this was discussed, but should this episode have aired last week?

In the beginning of last nights episode, they are all just coming back from New Years break, so then when would last weeks episode have taken place in the community timeline?

Enjoyed the episode, esp the Dean's reaction but I didn't like the graphic bits. Once or twice ok, but they seemed to reuse a lot. Graphics like that should be reserved for dreamatorium stuff.

Sad about Troy/Abed but I can only imagine Dark Abed gets out and this ends up in an epic rescue of real-Abed from a dark timeline.

This is genius... This is how the seasons arc must go... It just seems so well seeded with remedial chaos theory.

Shaneus

Need Dean reaction to Jeff in his aviators more.

NM! We already have it.

GNpBm.gif
Anyone else think this was a homage to the scene in Terminator 2 where Linda Hamilton first encounters T800, thinking he's back to kill her? Can't find any pictures of it, but that's the first thing I thought of.

Also love that Stamos doesn't dig the graphics used in the last two episodes. Maybe there's a chance they can be quickly edited out before they air?

Rico

I enjoyed the episode. So as much as some, but it still had some great moments. The impersonations were pretty cool and the Dean's reaction to Jeff in the sunglasses was awesome. Oh, and any episode that has any dressed up like Dorothy can't be all bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom