• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9 |OT| The Largest Cross-Dressing Convention of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

Ok, can we take a moment to talk about the bullshit hate RuPaul is getting now that
Mathu Anderson has left the show and Raven is now doing her makeup, and Delta Work her wigs?

I mean, I get it. Mathu's skills as a drag stylist are iconic, and he's been painting RuPaul's face for literally decades. But "different" doesn't mean "bad." Ru still looks like a vision every time she hits that runway. And I mean, if ANYBODY ELSE was going to do Ru's makeup, who better than Raven? Raven's paint literally changed modern drag. EVERYONE copies Raven's makeup.

But I'm seeing all the young queens on Twitter acting like Ru is walking down the runway looking like Bob or something. Like, get over it. Ru is still the fucking Supermodel of the World.
Waaaaat, this is the first I've heard of Mathu leaving. End of an era.

Monocle

Mathu also deleted all his social media. People are saying he is pretty sick and decided to retire from everything.
Damn, this is sudden. Hope it's not something really dire. His withdrawing from the show and social media makes me fear the worst.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Damn, this is sudden. Hope it's not something really dire. His withdrawing from the show and social media makes me fear the worst.

I wish there are anyone out there to clear out the air. There is also people saying Mathu bailed on the first episode which might explain why Ru didnt get in drag at all on the first episode.

B-Ri

Farrah had the best imitation, but Valentina at least had a vision and executed it in a way that elevated the source material rather than merely reproduce it.

Agreed.

Valentina to me did the out of the box thinking that the other girls tried to do. Madonna had far more iconic met gala looks than that.

The entire bar I watched it at roared when Valentina walked out, but then again ... we're in the Echo Park area 😂🙈

moggio

Banned
I wish there are anyone out there to clear out the air. There is also people saying Mathu bailed on the first episode which might explain why Ru didnt get in drag at all on the first episode.

No, I think the reason Ru wasn't in drag the first episode was purely because of the time constraints they were under with Lady Gaga as a guest.

Mathu is still a Creative Producer on the show with Raven and Delta and has been seen on set, so he still has some input even if it's just to pass the torch and oversee what Raven and Delta have been doing.

Given that he's deleted his social media, I do think there is some truth the rumours that he is unwell at the moment.

tumblr_op5h6yyJI51rwdw1wo2_250.gif

Yado

I thought the lipsync was fine, the corny dance moves were unexpected but refreshing. I'm sick of the overused splits and death drops.

I would be shocked if Shea isn't top three, she hasn't faltered once yet. I think Valentina seems like a lock too, although there are a bunch of crazy rumors that she implodes suddenly and gets sent home, but I'm just not seeing it right now. Trinity also seems like a sure thing to me, that girl isn't fucking around.

Ok, can we take a moment to talk about the bullshit hate RuPaul is getting now that
Mathu Anderson has left the show and Raven is now doing her makeup, and Delta Work her wigs?

I mean, I get it. Mathu's skills as a drag stylist are iconic, and he's been painting RuPaul's face for literally decades. But "different" doesn't mean "bad." Ru still looks like a vision every time she hits that runway. And I mean, if ANYBODY ELSE was going to do Ru's makeup, who better than Raven? Raven's paint literally changed modern drag. EVERYONE copies Raven's makeup.

But I'm seeing all the young queens on Twitter acting like Ru is walking down the runway looking like Bob or something. Like, get over it. Ru is still the fucking Supermodel of the World.
"hate" is incompletely unwarranted, that's disgusting.

however I do agree that there has been a #downgrade, particularly with delta's styling, she's really meh.

Rayis

The Untuckeds have been fire this season, Shea explaining Trinity what edges are! Farrah reading Alexis about her outburst, Shea's inspirational speech to Nina, Sasha doing some voodoo magic to try to save Cynthia, Aja calling Farrah a whore in the midst of all that.

i'm rewatching season 6 in the background while i do my coursework and oh my god the runway lighting is INCREDIBLE after seeing season 9's

i really don't know what the fuck they were thinking. the runway lighting in s6 is so fun and colourful but still clear and doesn't fuck with the colours anywhere near as much.

_Isaac

I like Valentina, but honestly that look was boring especially since we had a whole nude episode already. I agree with the poster that said this would've wowed much more in an earlier season.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Runway still looked like shit. It was drowned in purple but the only reason I could see their outfits was because most had darker colours and so they stood out. Again, whoever the fuck is doing lighting needs to be fired, they suck big time.

I'm not enjoying this season at all outside of Nina's creativity and that's starting to drop now. I wish she'd go back to faces, and as much as the judges will read her for not trying to be different her talent is beyond any of those girls when standing next to them in her characters. She puts sweat and blood into her makeup and to me that is far more creative and out of the box then wearing black strips of cardboard or a sequin dress.

But yeah this season is dragging. No one is funny, no one is sassy and no one is really daring to go big in the challenges and stand out. The snatch game was appealing, one of the worse I've seen.

I thought the lipsync was fine, the corny dance moves were unexpected but refreshing. I'm sick of the overused splits and death drops.

Agreed. I like that it looked choreographed and not just improvised, even if it mostly was. Most of those death drop/split lip sync blend together for me anyways.

Farrah is really endearing on Untucked. Her earnest naïveté is quite infectious.

It's like she's not aware that she's on camera xd

Never change gurl

Gradon

13129281_253881294966114_1795103489_n.jpg

Magnolia quit drag for ages and grew a beard.
Looks like she's getting back into drag recently though, teasing no-more-beard and pics of wigs with the hashtag #bringbackmagnolia on her Instagram.

Rayis

Farrah is really endearing on Untucked. Her earnest naïveté is quite infectious.

It's like she's not aware that she's on camera xd

Never change gurl

She is adorable to me, I just want to hug her, she might not be very talented in a lot of aspects of drag but she truly is endearing, she also cries at the drop of a hat! I's so cute!~

Shizuka

The Untuckeds have been fire this season, Shea explaining Trinity what edges are! Farrah reading Alexis about her outburst, Shea's inspirational speech to Nina, Sasha doing some voodoo magic to try to save Cynthia, Aja calling Farrah a whore in the midst of all that.

She was just praying with her, wasn't she?

xaosslug

i feel like I'm watching a completely dif. season from y'all? Sooooooooooo boring and just... trifling, tbh.

also, I hate the runway song. -___-

Rayis

It seemed like it but I don't know what religious denomination/belief system Sasha subscribes to that compelled her to do that.

i feel like I'm watching a completely dif. season from y'all? Sooooooooooo boring and just... trifling, tbh.

It could very well be that I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this show but even a supposedly boring season still entertains me greatly, also just having a show that's in people's faces about queerness and gender noncomformity would suffice to make it appealing to me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Valentina: Trinity can you model your boots for us?
Alexis: No, those are her Bichon Frises.
Trinity: Sparky and Fluffy
Sasha: Which one is which?
Trinity: They're twins, I get them confused all of the time.
Alexis: Are they named after your nuts?
Sasha: No, those are easier to tell apart.

:lol

It seemed like it but I don't know what religious denomination/belief system Sasha subscribes to that compelled her to do that.
There was some kind of energy transfer involved ("Let me give you power. Is this your heart?"), I thought it was sweet but amusing at the same time with Cynthia shaking at the end.

9Prq3Eq.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Ehhh the season has been lackluster. There is issues with the editing, whoever did the lightning. The challenges havent been that memorable and the girls themselves are not as memorable as previous queens. The lip syncs this season are probably the worst I've seen in 11 seasons (counting All Stars) so far. No one has gagged me or made me say "That girl deserves to win the whole thing". It still functions as entertainment but it is rather disappointing to see how bleh this season has been.

royalan

I think the big problem with the lip syncs this season is that, judging by their videos, a lot of the queens that can really turn out a lip sync haven't been in the bottom yet. Or, in Eureka's case, got sent home without lip syncing.

There was Aja and Trinity's lipsyncs, but they were kinda hampered by being against terrible performers.

But once Farrah is knocked out everyone left knows how to work a stage, so we better get some DAMN SHOWS.

Nina didn't say
RuPaul's Drag Race has fucked up drag.

So she is now cancelled and unstanned.
I was waiting for this too! Total missed opportunity.

Sasha surprised me, I thought we were going to get another Max situation. And I thought they should've read Aja for doing Alyssa who 1) is an easy target and 2) had already been done before. Shea had some decent lines too.

Peppermint living during the lipsync makes me root for her more. I haven't been that impressed with her looks so far, but I love to see a performer light up when they lip sync. Well done Peppermint. Cynthia? I'm sorry I think this was overdue. We saw during the Kardashians thing that all she can do is Cynthia, it was just like the Empire challenge last season, and her Madonna look was all boy to me.

I LOVED Valentina's runway. I got it immediately, I thought it even worked well on TV and looked like actual censoring when she stood front-on to the camera. Good on her for choosing an ICONIC but non-typical look. WTH @ Trinity and Nina, was that look some big thing at the time or something? I've never seen it before. Shea and Peppermint I could understand it's a standard classic, but 2 queens doing that look seemed like a one in a million chance!

Kerned

Banned
Yup, Valentina's Madonna look was iconic and clever as fuck. I got it immediately and burst out laughing in that "oh fuck yes, bitch!" sort of way.

Rayis

I'm surprised no one has done Mariah Carey for Snatch Game, there's so much material there! from acting like a diva done with everything, her tendency to throw shade without really trying and hitting random whistle notes.

Shizuka

I'm surprised no one has done Mariah Carey for Snatch Game, there's so much material there! from acting like a diva done with everything, her tendency to throw shade without really trying and hitting random whistle notes.

Ariana Grande was a... Choice. I'm not sure Mimi would be that much better.

I'm over Nina already. After the first episode, you can see how she's her own worse enemy and all that jazz, but it's getting real old real fast.

Yeah, I saw that and it wasn't cute. It's really interesting what they choose to show for each queen in the episode itself and what gets relegated to bonus clips. For example, Eureka teaching Nina to sew? Bonus clip. Eureka saying something dumb and shady? Definitely makes it into the episode. It's not anything new for this show, but they definitely build narratives around certain queens and god help the girl that ends up on the wrong side of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom