• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkoch

When is it?

April 27th-29th 12PM Noon PDT (Pacific) 3PM EDT (Eastern) to 12AM Midnight PDT 3AM Eastern.

Probably a really dumb question, but the way I read this is the beta is over Saturday night / Sunday morning (Sunday at midnight) rather than ending Sunday night / Monday morning. Is that right?

Retro

Right, but say if I'm a caster and I got agro, there's no tank to taunt it off me. I take it each class has a sort of evasive type of play to them? I've seen it with thief (thief tanking is always cool). Again, it's just strange to see no trinity involved. It's new and refreshing to see.

Every class has access to dodge for evading attacks, and a self-heal for when things go wrong. Casters aren't getting one-shotted exclusively; we've seen footage of heavy-armored warriors and guardians getting splattered as a reward for their inattention as well. Players need to keep their eyes open to enemy telegraphing and what's happening around them.

Additionally, every class has access to elements of Control, GW2's replacement for tanking. Elementalists, for example can Chill enemies (causing a 66% movement speed and skill cooldown reduction) on every single weapon except scepters, simply by shifting to Water Attunment. And because the Scepter is a main-hand only weapon, it would be paired with either a dagger or focus, both of which have an ability that chills. Air attunement has either a knockback or a stun on all but one weapon setup (Scepter / Dagger, though scepter does offer a Blind which negates the enemy's next attack). Earth Attunement has a lot of cripples (50% movement speed reduction) and immobilizes, plus two Shield spells (one that greatly improves armor and one that renders the caster invulnerable for 4 seconds). That's not even mentioning utility skills like Arcane Shield (Block attacks with an energy shield. If it blocks three attacks, it explodes), Lightning Flash (teleport to target area) or Mist Form (Morph into an invulnerable, vaporous mist for a brief time). They can also use Conjure Earth to create a "Magnetic Shield", which acts like a new weapon, giving the elementalist 5 new skills (including a cripple, an interrupt and an invulnerability). Oh, and when you create a Magnetic Shield, you automatically equip one and one is conjured for any other player to pick up. That means if something goes wrong, two people can step in and work to control the enemy while the 'dedicated tank' (which doesn't exist but for the sake of your scenario we'll include) rallies, with the help of the other group members reviving him and his own downed abilities. Worth mentioning that the Magnetic Shield has a force pull, so an Elementalist 'tank' can yank an enemy away from someone trying to rally.

And if you're still downed after all of that? Elementalists can immobilize foes and assume a mobile, vaporous form while in the downed state.

This doesn't even touch on all of the other Control abilities that everyone in your group brings with them. The difference between a good player and a dead one is situational awareness and knowing what skills to use and when. Success is placed entirely on the individual, not the tank or healer. Some people are going to be pissed off that they can't blame someone else for their failures, but guess what? Those people are assholes and we don't care what they think.

Probably a really dumb question, but the way I read this is the beta is over Saturday night / Sunday morning (Sunday at midnight) rather than ending Sunday night / Monday morning. Is that right?

Not a dumb question at all. The Beta is supposed to run for 60 hours and start at noon Pacific time on Friday. That means it will likely end around midnight on Sunday. For east coasters, it will run from 3PM Friday to 3am Monday morning.

I downloaded it after all...

Anyway, it says account ready, and just seeing the login screen and the menus and the music was worth it :D The menus feel so smooth. Hmmm.

Stuart444

My main complaint with the login screen is that the White on White in the options menu can be hard to read at times. Apart from that I love it :)

Orayn

Client link on /vg/ was legit. So excited to start downloading this!

My main complaint with the login screen is that the White on White in the options menu can be hard to read at times. Apart from that I love it :)

ANet pulls off the red/black on white contrast better than a lot of recent attempts.

Stuart444

ANet pulls off the red/black on white contrast better than a lot of recent attempts.

Aye, they do.

Also as I posted somewhere else about the White on White thing:

Some of the letters aren't covered by the brownish background (most are, some aren't so it looks from my POV that it's White on White)

Also the red word (custom for me atm) doesn't go well with the brownish background as it makes it a little hard to read.

Still relatively miner stuff :) only a few days left til we get to step into Tyria again :D

Have they said if the beta clients will be allowed to be updated for full release or will we have to redownload everything again for release?

Retro

I think im going to wait a few more hours for them to give an official link.

Likewise. I want to get it straight from the source without any chances of it being corrupted or screwed up. I'm not in any hurry, there's still 3 days, 4 hours, 44 minutes and 30 seconds until things get underway.

Aye, they do.

Also as I posted somewhere else about the White on White thing:

Some of the letters aren't covered by the brownish background (most are, some aren't so it looks from my POV that it's White on White)

Also the red word (custom for me atm) doesn't go well with the brownish background as it makes it a little hard to read.

Still relatively miner stuff :) only a few days left til we get to step into Tyria again :D

The top of the options menu is pretty brown, but the lower you go the less brown it gets. In the lower left corner you see "Gw2: 14,058", that's pretty hard to read with a white background. But this is extreme nitpicking xD

Stuart444

The top of the options menu is pretty brown, but the lower you go the less brown it gets. In the lower left corner you see "Gw2: 14,058", that's pretty hard to read with a white background. But this is extreme nitpicking xD

XD it is extreme nitpicking. I'm more worried about if they carry some stuff like that over to the full game since some (such as my gf) have eye problems (be it half blind like my gf or perhaps colour problems or something like that?) and have trouble reading anymore options they add below where the "Gw2:" thing is.

I wanted to wait but I couldn't :(

It only took me a couple of hours to download anyway, wouldn't mind downloading again.

Ahh, the way you start the client, the big ass red dragon in the shape of a two shows up, music is still quiet, then the dragon gets bigger and the music kicks in.

I think the version number of this release is 14,058 (says so in the bottom left of the option menu), so if the client that is released today or tomorrow has the same version number, we should be okay right?

Aesthet1c

Yup I can confirm this too, Dl'd all 13 gbs of it (~150-200kb/s...) and i get the login screen with a message saying my account is good to go

I'm still unsure if I have a pre-order account or a pre-purchase account. I wonder if I download the client if it will tell me whether I'm good to go or not.

I think the version number of this release is 14,058 (says so in the bottom left of the option menu), so if the client that is released today or tomorrow has the same version number, we should be okay right?

Probably, yes. It looks like the launcher deletes the existing data and downloads everything again. So - in theory - there should be no risk of broken or corrupted data.

I'm still unsure if I have a pre-order account or a pre-purchase account. I wonder if I download the client if it will tell me whether I'm good to go or not.

stolen from reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/sphce/old_beta_client_is_working_atm/

After downloading the Beta client listed here and installing, if you attempt to log in with valid log in credentials, you get the following message:

Your account is all prepared, but there is no Beta event running right now. Please come back and join us at the start of the next Beta event. For more information, visit the Guild Wars 2 Website. (Code:xxxxxxx)

Invalid credentials supply you with a suitable error. So you can at least test to see if your account is all ready to go.
The only other thing you have access to is the video and audio settings.

If this were to be believed, if you get that message, that'd mean your account should be set up

Lord Phol

Are we talking builds in this thread?
Because I was reading a thread on gw2guru where the OP was trashing on guardians damage output, and decided to take on the challenge of making a viable damage build.

This is what I came up with: Guardian Face Melting Build
It's focused mostly on the burning condition and spirit weapons, though I might have to exchange an utility skill for another spirit weapon.

I have no idea how well this would actually work in the game, but fiddeling around with the calculator really made me curious on the Guardian class. I think I'm gonna try this out in the upcoming BWE.

Mr. Hyde

I'm thinking about pre-ordering this to try the beta this weekend but I am not sure due to my PC. I am running a Q6600 quad @ 3.11ghz, 8800 GTS G92, 4 gigs ram, Windows 7 64. I know it's designed to run on all types of PCS but I wonder just how good...

salpa

Banned
Did ANet's servers crash?

GW won't let me log in anymore (says cannot reach login servers) and the GW2 client just stops at "Connecting..."

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

Stuart444

The GW1 login servers are down so I think the GW2 ones are as well (which is why you might be getting stuck at checking for updates)

I left my comp to download the client this morning at 6:30am, but it was only going at 100Kb/s so I wonder if the download interrupted once they removed the file from the website.

Torraz

I'm getting the "your account is prepared but no beta lol" message when trying to log in. I think that client is the real deal.

J-Rzez

Hopefully they get this up and running officially soon. It's not going to be pretty with the servers getting bombarded 2 days prior to beta start.

I wonder if they're using some sort of torrent technology to allow people to play the area that they're in, and pre-loading the others in the background.

Fishious

Can't wait for the weekend. I convinced two of my friends to prepurchase (might get a third) so the beta's going to be extra awesome for me. I hope to convince more of my friends eventually, but I don't want them to throw down $60 only to hate the game I'd hyped up so much. I doubt I'll be disappointed with the game since I've been following it closely, have watched tons of videos, and thus know pretty much exactly what I'm getting. With any less information I could easily see people building GW2 up as something it isn't and being predictably disappointed.

Anyway my friends and I will probably just run around exploring for a while, but eventually I'd be up for doing stuff with GAF. On the topic of the downloader I'll just wait until it's official. Even with my crap internet 3 days is plenty of time to download.

Achtius

How are people d/ling the client?

this is what I get when I log in:

NotAvailable.png

Mr. Hyde

I decided to pre-order it despite my PC not being where I want it for the game. I am sure it can run and I plan to build a new PC this year. I haven't played a MMO I truly liked in years but this seems up my line in enjoyable gameplay and not feeling I have to spend every hour of my free time in it. I've never been into raiding and such in regular MMOs and I don't see that being a big thing in this game (unless I'm mistaken), so I am excited to play.

So I got a code from my brother who works at Gamestop but I haven't recieved an e-mail for downloading this beta. Do I not have access to this beta and do I need to pre-purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom