• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (August, Directed by Edgar Wright)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is a goddamn trailer
And so is this. It's a goddamned international trailer.

(why are the international trailers always better than the domestic ones, huh? Damn.)

Looks like there's going to be some comedy in here, of course, but it's definitely got more of a straight up action vibe than anything he's done since Hot Fuzz.

baby-driver-photo-2.jpg

People seem pretty pissed off at Ansel Elgort a lot of the time. Ansel doesn't seem to give that much of a shit. So there's gonna be comparisons to "Drive" there, probably. They're probably gonna be superficial as hell, though. Because I doubt Wright made anything even remotely like what Refn made. Speaking of which:

SXSW IMPRESSIONS

Jacob Hall, Slashfilm:
BABY DRIVER: Let's call this HEAT remade as a jukebox musical. Very different from Wright's previous movies and a total blast.

Chris Miller, co-dir. 21 Jump Street, The Upcoming Han & Lando Movie
Hey SXSWers!
You are going to love Baby Driver.
It's both super fun and a real work of art.
Start waiting in line now!

Avram, Geeks of Color
You guys know that satisfaction when actions are beautifully synced with the music/sound? Okay Baby Driver is that a million fucking times

Jen Yamato, LA Times
BABY DRIVER is everything I never knew I needed. #SXSW audience losing their minds for it and it earns every bit of the love

Eric Vespe, Aint it Cool
Baby Driver is fuckin' awesome. Edgar Wright made his own version of a movie musical except the choreography is car stunts and violence.

Jacob Knight, Birth.Movies.Death
BABY DRIVER: Pop chaos. Forty years of action cinema grammar, all set to a beat. The fact that this even exists is a goddamn miracle.

Eric Kohn, Indiewire
If you thought LA LA LAND rejuvenated the movie musical, wait until BABY DRIVER, which is like Busby Berkeley's GRAND THEFT AUTO

The Cast
Jamie Foxx
Jon Hamm
Jon Bernthal
Kevin Spacey
Ansel Elgort
Lily James
Eiza Gonzalez
Flea
Meryl Streep

The Poster

Note: No CGI was used in any of the car chases

Of the two trailers released tonight

this is definitely the superior of the two.

edit: YouTube (but not official. So probably just comicbook ripping the twitter video and re-upping)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wasn't great but not bad and you can definitely see the Edgar Wrightness dripping out off it, so just cus of that, I'n totally in.

I do wish the music was more integral to the trailer since I've read that music plays a huge part in this movie.

Is this the movie he bounced out of Ant Man for?

I think he left Ant Man just because they wouldn't let him do exactly what he wanted to do.

Ant Man got pushed as late as it did (like, 6 years late, or something?) because he wanted to make The World's End first. At least I think that's the story.

ALL IN.

Need those SXSW impressions now!

Well, here's one:
Jacob Hall said:
BABY DRIVER: Let's call this HEAT remade as a jukebox musical. Very different from Wright's previous movies and a total blast.

And another
Chris Miller said:
Hey SXSWers!
You are going to love Baby Driver.
It's both super fun and a real work of art.
Start waiting in line now!

And another
Avram said:
You guys know that satisfaction when actions are beautifully synced with the music/sound? Okay Baby Driver is that a million fucking times

And another
Jen Yamato said:
BABY DRIVER is everything I never knew I needed. #SXSW audience losing their minds for it and it earns every bit of the love

And another
Eric Vespe said:
Baby Driver is fuckin' awesome. Edgar Wright made his own version of a movie musical except the choreography is car stunts and violence.

-griffy-

Banned
Looks dope. Was hoping we'd see a bit more of the "musical" chase scenes in the trailer, but I guess that'd be hard unless it was one of those trailers that was just an extended scene.

That geeks of color impression got me too hyped. I always geek out over moments like that in trailers. To have a whole film edited to time like that during its action scenes?...whew

Da gawd is gonna be 5/5 now

Interesting characters, sound jokes. Looks pretty good. Kevin Spacey is usually a pretty fun villain, and Jon Bernthal has been hitting 'em far lately.

Emarv

All these "action musical" posts have me beyond excited. The inventiveness and brilliance of an Edgar Wright movie all put into a more "typical" action movie. In a way, it feels like it could be the successor Speed Racer-GAF has been waiting for.

temp

posting on contract only
Half the reason I want to see this movie is to find out if Baby Driver has any other meaning except he's a driver and his name is Baby.

In Edgar Wright I trust. Can't wait for this - especially since I love music done right in action scenes and if anybody can pull off this concept it's Edgar Wright.

Emarv

Devindra Hardawar‏
Baby Driver is exactly what you'd imagine an Edgar Wright Fast & Furious to be. A pure blast

And if you're a fan of Edgar Wright's long takes and music choices, Baby Driver will basically be your crack. Like a musical chase film

Don't do this to me, Wright. My heart is too weak.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If this movie is already pretty much done, why the August release date?

Probably just putting it where they think it'll do best. Wouldn't stand a chance in summer during blockbuster season. But something like this could do well in Feb/March or Aug/Sep.

Ridley327

If this movie is already pretty much done, why the August release date?

It was originally scheduled for this weekend, but it got pushed back to August. I figure that the busy schedule this spring would have made it really hard for this to get noticed, while the biggest thing hitting in August is The Emoji Movie.

kevin1025

Banned
Wait, (and this could be a real spoiler so don't click if you don't want to know since I didn't notice till now),
Meryl Streep
is in this?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom