• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clarkson/Hammond/May's negotiating new car show on Netflix, "House of Cars"

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This has been making the rounds for the past few days. Surprised there's no thread on it. Top Gear's spiritual successor.

The sacked presenter, James May, Richard Hammond and former executive producer Andy Wilman are negotiating with the online service to create a new version of the motoring series.

And one pal revealed today: “If it goes ahead, they’re planning to call it House of Cars, which is just genius.”

And a tug of war for Clarkson, 55, and his team has broken out between the streaming service and ITV, which also held talks with them last week.

But a source said: “The headache with ITV is going to be the potential conflicts of interest with advertisers.

“What would they do if Jaguar or Volvo had a sponsorship deal but they wanted to berate its latest new car?

"Jeremy doesn’t like being told what to do. It could cause huge arguments.”

Source.

strafer

tumblr_inline_n5cmsjq3rX1qafrh6.gif

Jb

Man I really hope they choose Netflix over ITV. If they do I'd rather them release a new episode every week than in one big batch though.

DaveH

I wonder who "owns" The Stig...

...and if they don't, whether they'll import some variation of him onto this new show or vaguely suggest that it is the same mythological creature under the helmet.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Getting Wilman as producer as well is the best part. Netflix gunna make this happen I think. Such a cash cow internationally.
Yup this is what restores hope for me, and I expect significant freedom from Netflix' end too.

Also can a mod take the "'s" out of the thread title?

I wonder who "owns" The Stig...

...and if they don't, whether they'll import some variation of him onto this new show or vaguely suggest that it is the same mythological creature under the helmet.
I'm already looking forward to how they joke about not-Stig Stig. Let's call him Gits.

DJ_Lae

I like every bit of the information in there, from the name to the producer and it going to Netflix (although the name wouldn't work without them, of course).

I almost hope they break their season dumping schedules and space this show out, as I wouldn't be able to stop myself from binge watching it.

NekoFever

Man I really hope they choose Netflix over ITV. If they do I'd rather them release a new episode every week than in one big batch though.

Ditto. I like the news section and feedback from the previous episode of Top Gear.

I'd prefer Netflix to ITV or Sky. No advertisers to alienate.

The Cowboy

Love the name idea, and really hope this does get off the ground. - also if the BBC own the rights to "The Stig" they should call the new one "The Gimp", that was the original suggestion for the racers name (it wasn't used as the original Stig didn't want to be known as "The Gimp" :D).

Love the name idea, and really hope this does get off the ground. - also if the BBC own the rights to "The Stig" they should call the new one "The Gimp",that was the original suggestion for the racers name (it wasn't used as the original Stig didn't want to be known as "The Gimp" :D).

That's amazing lmao.

Loxley

Oh snap, I'm all in. Love the name too.

It makes way more sense for them to go with Netflix instead of ITV i think. They'll probably be allowed much more creative freedom to do what they want.

Phinor

There's one thing I don't like about Netflix and it's their way of releasing the whole series (season) at the same time. Maybe it works with some shows but it kills discussion so effectively, everyone is watching a different episode, all the discussion is spoiler tags on top of spoiler tags. I vastly prefer the week-to-week format with most shows, including Top Gear. Well that and one other issue: Finnish Netflix is terrible but that's why we use illegal software to bypass regions.

That being said, House of Cars is a great name.

There's one thing I don't like about Netflix and it's their way of releasing the whole series (season) at the same time. Maybe it works with some shows but it kills discussion so effectively, everyone is watching a different episode, all the discussion is spoiler tags on top of spoiler tags. I vastly prefer the week-to-week format with most shows, including Top Gear. Well that and one other issue: Finnish Netflix is terrible but that's why we use illegal software to bypass regions.

That being said, House of Cars is a great name.

You know Netflix also releases season episodes 1 at a time for some shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom