• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clarkson/Hammond/May's negotiating new car show on Netflix, "House of Cars"

Status
Not open for further replies.
5-13-2015%2B11-16-39%2BAM.png
I keep clicking yes, but the percentage won't change

Skux

Fuck yes. Perfect network to put it on. Daredevil could be bloody and violent, and now "House of Cars" will be just as raucous and uncensored.

Harusame

I have no qualms about having Clarkson, Hammond & May on Netflix. Hopefully they can make this deal occur quickly so that we may see more of the trio.

Also, the poll is now at 75% for yes, and 25% for no.

Jezbollah

1st - nothing is officially confirmed.

2nd - if it is confirmed as House of Cars on Netflix, NO FUCKING WAY THEY DONT HAVE KEVIN SPACEY AS THE FIRST STAR IN THE REASONABLY PRICED CAR.

With the talent salaries, cars, test track, this seems like it would be pretty pricey to produce, no?

I think it would be a lot cheaper to produce than HoC(ards)....

Majine

Banned
Clever name and all, but is it financially a good idea for Netflix to have two wildly different shows that sound almost exactly the same?

Acidote

I'm here reading this with a smirk in my face:

House of Cars here in Spain is the name of a show on DiscoveryMax that's sort of a local version of Fast N Loud. They even have a knockoff of Richard Rawlings:

HOUSE OF CARS (SPANISH)

hamchan

Why would you wish that. You can watch a show every week if you'd like. Let the rest of us watch as many or as little as we want. It's the netflix way and i prefer it soooo much over the old way.

Does Top Gear typically film their whole season in advance before broadcast?

MilkyJoe

Why would you wish that. You can watch a show every week if you'd like. Let the rest of us watch as many or as little as we want. It's the netflix way and i prefer it soooo much over the old way.

I'd prefer it too, it's more than just a TV show in my house, it represents what little "me time" I get these days and Sunday 8pm onwards is my me time! If a whole series is dropped in one go then she will take liberties with that and start intruding on my me time with the old "you can watch it any time..." crap. So a new episode, once a week, on a Sunday. Doesn't matter what time, I'll just tell her it starts at 8...

Hasney

I actually like the news segments and they would have to go away if it was just shat out on Netflix all at once.

I prefer it in general too, it just wouldn't work here.

sfedai0

Banned
Im all for this but would be surprised it they follow or even be allowed to do the same format. I would love for them to just do more epic trips across the world.

MilkyJoe

Im all for this but would be surprised it they follow or even be allowed to do the same format. I would love for them to just do more epic trips across the world.

I would imagine they can do what they want. Whoever they get in to replace them on Top Gear 2.0 are not going to follow the same format, the show would fall flat on it's face, it would have to be completely re-worked. Especially with the rumoured replacements.

DarkFlow

Banned
I hope if Netflix gets them they just do adventures all the time. A review now and then is fine, and keep the news part if they go with a weekly release. I don't care much for stars in a reasonably priced car, its just people plugging crap and feels out of place.

I want Netflix to get it so they can get a huge financial boost (Top Gear is like one of the biggest shows in the world mainly due to presenters + team behind them) so they can budget for more great original series.

The article itself doesn't confirm anything to do with Netflix sadly

Huh?

Sources told the Daily Mirror's Nigel Pauley, however, that the ex-"Top Gear" trio — along with former showrunner Andy Wilman — were "very close" to a deal with Netflix.

In recent weeks, the foursome has held meetings with numerous potential suitors including the British broadcaster ITV. But Netflix seems to have come out on top.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Top Gear on Netflix is such a perfect fit, it's almost too good to be true. Hopefully they can branch out a little more now, I can't wait for this.

With the talent salaries, cars, test track, this seems like it would be pretty pricey to produce, no?

Yes. It could be a relatively cheap show to produce (3 blokes, 2 VTs, a guest, some studio banter), but those three blokes command salaries in the 6 and 7 figures (and that's at bbc rates - double it in the private sector), the VTs are slickly produced globetrotting superfilms and the guest is usually someone expecting a helicopter flight to the shoot. I've seen production cost (i.e. without salary) estimates on the order of £0.2-0.5m an episode, and the salary costs are on the order of £2.5m a year total.

So yes, it's quite an expensive show to make. Probably about half as much as House of Cards per episode is a safe bet.

It is, of course, ludicrously profitable. Top Gear brings in annual revenues of c. £150m, so the profit potential is there. However that is based on the BBC's business model, where the show is globally syndicated, continuously broadcast in profitable re-runs, has a successful website and magazine and a guaranteed prime time slot in a major television market.

Netflix, assuming they don't do something clever, will have to get something like 10,000 new subscribers per episode and retain them for two years to see any kind of reasonable return. That's quite a big ask, given that we're talking about a magazine/talk show being produced by a company that has so far only really nailed HBO-style drama.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wonder what the chances are of them being able to continue using the same test track from Top Gear. Isn't the facility owned by someone other the BBC, so maybe Netflix could get them back into their old studio and continue to use the Lotus track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom