• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy clarkson and co, new car show with amazon prime 4.5m budget per show

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakhir

I really doubt that they will bother with doing news, SIARPC, or any other studio stuff.

Can they build their own track with this money, though?

Aiii

So not worth it
People that don't "get it", this is why Amazon is willing to make this minor investment:
Top Gear is the world’s most widely watched factual television programme according to the Guinness Book of World Records; broadcasts to 214 territories worldwide; has an estimated global audience of 350 million; and has over 24 million fans on Facebook. The show’s successful format has already spawned local versions in the US, China, Russia, Australia and South Korea.

They're gonna make bank.

Brandson

In all seriousness, my favourite parts of Top Gear have been the car vs anything else-style races across cities/countries/continents, and the team supercar trips. Getting a higher-budget race each season would be awesome, as would less filler episodes previously necessitated by blowing the season's budget on one or two big episodes earlier in the season.

I don't know if it does. Keep in mind, this is a show for Amazon Prime Instant viewers. It's still going to be easier for most people to watch Top Gear over this new show.

Top Gear has the brand name, and ease of access. New show has the bigger budget and more enticing talent. It sorta balances out. Sorta.
Top Gear is on Sunday night when the schedules are a waste land of trash. It has no competitor unless Amazon decide to release their episodes at the same time (a poor choice for all involved imo)

Opiate

Let's hope not.

That's his appeal.

Let's say there is a banker who is shrewd and selfish and unfeeling towards the consumers whom he ostensibly serves. This makes him wildly successful and profitable, because he is willing to exploit any possible method to increase his margins even if it hurts other people.

Would you also hope that he remains as selfish and uncaring? Sure, he's a jerk, but he's a jerk who does his job incredibly well! Or is being a jerk only okay as long as it happens to entertain you, personally?

SmokyDave

Let's say there is a banker who is shrewd and selfish and unfeeling towards the consumers whom he ostensibly serves. This makes him wildly successful and profitable, because he is willing to exploit any possible method to increase his margins even if it hurts other people.

Would you also hope that he remains as selfish and uncaring? Sure, he's a jerk, but he's a jerk who does his job incredibly well! Or is being a jerk only okay as long as it happens to entertain you, personally?
Show me footage of the banker pinning the loud pedal in a 427 Cobra and I'll tell you what I think.

fwoibles

As long as I'm not claiming to know the interpersonal relationships somebody else goes through and the exact circumstances a certain thing happened I am reserving judgement for him as well as for most other people in this world. It just so happens that I enjoy _everything_ else he does.
Which I can't say for a lot of other people, but I also decide that me being thoroughly disinterested in their future makes not for a good reason for posting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow... Awesome for fans, but how is this even profitable?

It's more of an investment towards the future expansion of Prime. This gives them, what will essentially be the next season of, the most popular show the world has ever seen. If they did the deal right, they'll be using those three as a way to expand Prime services into new countries. "Not only can you watch Jezza, Hammond and May here, but look at all these other services you get!" To Amazon, expanding into new markets is totally worth it in the long run. Bezos is looking 10, 15, 20 years into the future with this deal.

Also, Ferrari Football. Make it happen.

Rich!

Him being a jerk does not change the fact I enjoy watching him on TV, no.

It's like...does what Polanski did change my view of his films? No, he's still a twat though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's more of an investment towards the future expansion of Prime. This gives them, what will essentially be the next season of, the most popular show the world has ever seen. If they did the deal right, they'll be using those three as a way to expand Prime services into new countries. "Not only can you watch Jezza, Hammond and May here, but look at all these other services you get!" To Amazon, expanding into new markets is totally worth it in the long run. Bezos is looking 10, 15, 20 years into the future with this deal.

Also, Ferrari Football. Make it happen.
I assume that they'll just sell this to international broadcasters rather than try to expand Prime. Hell, you can't even watch this in Canada because Prime video doesn't exist here.

Some people like Clarkson because he is entertaining and a good laugh. Not sure why you are comparing him to a banker.

Top gear was great because of the interaction between Clarkson, may and hammond.

Who cares about his personal life? It has nothing to do with the show at all.

The Beard

In all seriousness, my favourite parts of Top Gear have been the car vs anything else-style races across cities/countries/continents, and the team supercar trips. Getting a higher-budget race each season would be awesome, as would less filler episodes previously necessitated by blowing the season's budget on one or two big episodes earlier in the season.

Really? Those are by far my least favorite. They are beyond pointless. Can a mountain bike go 4 miles down a hill faster than a Porsche driving 10 miles on a curvy dirt road? Who cares?

I really doubt that they will bother with doing news, SIARPC, or any other studio stuff.

Can they build their own track with this money, though?

They're still gonna do studio stuff:

Clarkson and co will produce 12 episodes of roughly 60 minutes in length for each of the three series, which they will begin delivering in autumn next year. Wilman said the show will build on the successful Top Gear formula, but there will be “lots of newness”.

There will be “indoor” studio elements, as well as the signature global adventures that Clarkson, Hammond and May have become famous for.

Importantly, Wilman stressed, the programme will be anchored in the UK and the presenting trio are likely to be given “more time to yak” about cars away from the road. The deal also gives the hosts the freedom to pursue non-motoring television projects away from Amazon, keeping the door open for them to remain fixtures on the BBC.

Wilman added: “You can’t reinvent the sideways, Last of the Summer Wine-type relationship they have because that is outside of television, that is theirs. But there will be a new look, new elements, new home. We’ve been so busy doing the bloody deal…that [the development] process now begins in earnest.”

He and Bird hinted that the show could be scheduled on a weekly basis, rather than making the whole series available in one go to binge-watch. Both said Top Gear’s audience is used to the habit of having a fresh episode to watch every seven days and Wilman joked: “We’re a one trick pony, I wouldn’t watch 12 episodes in a row.”

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/...on-top-gear-teams-amazon-deal/5091110.article

spuckthew

12 episodes a year? Well, i was a fool thinking they will do more.

I'm conflicted. On one hand Top Gear used to run split seasons, which meant they'd have 12-14 episodes in any given year; but on the other hand, I think I'd prefer 12 episodes straight. Back in the day, I found it depressing after a half-season ending after 6 or so episodes.

But I know what you're saying: 12 episodes overall is a bummer. Still, with that budget it should be magnificent.

Abounder

Banned
I'm conflicted. On one hand Top Gear used to run split seasons, which meant they'd have 12-14 episodes in any given year; but on the other hand, I think I'd prefer 12 episodes straight. Back in the day, I found it depressing after a half-season ending after 6 or so episodes.

But I know what you're saying: 12 episodes overall is a bummer. Still, with that budget it should be magnificent.

Yea with this budget it should be closer to 12 specials instead of standard episodes anyway

Clarkson isn't selfish or uncaring, and leads the most popular TV show on the planet...or shall I say in the world

Opiate

Clarkson isn't selfish or uncaring, and leads the most popular TV show on the planet...or shall I say in the world

The general consensus seems to be that he is bigoted and obnoxious. Is that not your assessment? I can't say from personal experience. Obviously if the general consensus is that Clarkson is a compassionate and caring person, then there is no issue.

Abounder

Banned
The general consensus seems to be that he is bigoted and obnoxious. Is that not your assessment? I can't say from personal experience. Obviously if the general consensus is that Clarkson is a compassionate and caring person, then there is no issue.

General consensus? Well the numbers say it all whether it's this blockbuster deal, e-petition with over a million signatures, or the show being no. 1 worldwide. But of course there are quite a few other people who think he is an "obnoxious bigot" above all else I suppose. Not quite Trump or Howard Stern level yet

dalin80

Banned

That's the general consensus on GAF, many different sites and communities that lean different ways are quite diverse in how they see him.

Of course he's obnoxious and can be a bit of a prick, but those things don't make him selfish or a uncaring. Nobody would want to watch a nice and courteous Jeremy Clarkson, that isn't his personality, he's blunt and brash, that's why people like to watch him. He has plenty of moments in the specials where he provides very thoughtful and understanding narratives and opinions about the countries they are in and is genuine about enjoying the cultures.

AWESOME ! the more money the better, let them have as much as possible of the same production crew because that was the thing that made the show so fantastic :D

That's the general consensus on GAF, many different sites and communities that lean different ways are quite diverse in how they see him.

It's almost like he's a human being and host of a popular entertainment show that brings a diverse range of people and thus, opinions.

Seriously though I am so supoer hype for the return of POOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEER and Captain Slow.

Also Hammond is there too.

Does this mean we get more than one special a season? The road trip specials are always always always the best.

tuffy

I assume a significant chunk of that money is going to be used for gear, setting up a studio to do a car show in, and a lot of other one-time costs. Once that's done - assuming Amazon renews the show - future seasons could be done more cheaply.

Rich!

Of course he's obnoxious and can be a bit of a prick, but those things don't make him selfish or a uncaring. Nobody would want to watch a nice and courteous Jeremy Clarkson, that isn't his personality, he's blunt and brash, that's why people like to watch him. He has plenty of moments in the specials where he provides very thoughtful and understanding narratives and opinions about the countries they are in and is genuine about enjoying the cultures.

That also extends to his books, which I think are fantastic and quite insightful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom