• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy clarkson and co, new car show with amazon prime 4.5m budget per show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Jeremy Clarkson will earn £10million a year for his Amazon car show, with James May, Richard Hammond, and producer Andy Wilman close behind

Amazon Prime is reportedly spending £160million on 36 episodes over three years, giving each individual show a budget
of £4.5million.

The budget for Top Gear was £500,000 per show, rising to around £1million when presenter costs were added.

From the mirror.

rakhir

12 episodes a year? Well, i was a fool thinking they will do more.

But damn, with that budget they could do crazy wild things now.

EDIT:

The biggest budget

in the world.

Machina

Banned
Amazon know putting that much money in the hands of Clarkson is probably a bad idea, but fuck it lets do it anyway, because damn if it won't be fun to watch

Wow! Really cool news. I remember people saying how there was no way they would have the budget like they did on Top Gear.

Looking forward to crazy road trips and inventions.

jett

D-Member
I hope that money is put to good use, cuz right now it seems like most of it will be going to the three hosts.

Wow! Really cool news. I remember people saying how there was no way they would have the budget like they did on Top Gear.

Looking forward to crazy road trips and inventions.

Well those people were right, they havent got the budget like on Top Gear, they have way more! And on that bombshell it is time to end our program. Good night everybody!

TTG

So, a La Ferrari/P1/918 comparo at Nurburgring(surprise they've bought it and it's now the new test track) for the first episode. I'm thinking we put Hammond in a f1 seat for a GP in episode 2 for a laugh and send a Reliant Robin into orbit for the third?

If they treat this as a destination and a chance to cash in it's going to be a shame. There was a time when I wouldn't dare assume that, but these last seasons have been rough.

Clydefrog

Reliant Robin Space Shuttle 2.0. Manned.

Make it happen.

I shit you not, I saw someone driving a Reliant Robin one week ago where I live. Southern California. It was on a side-street (not a highway/freeway obviously). It was oncoming traffic so I basically did a double-take and then started honking my horn. I was so excited :D

I can't imagine there are any other Reliant Robins down here. The old dude driving had a hat on. My first sighting; it seriously sticks out like a car you've never seen before, with its front wheel.

SmokyDave

Man, I can't wait for this. It'll be good to see these three back to dicking about.

I shit you not, I saw someone driving a Reliant Robin one week ago where I live. Southern California. It was on a side-street (not a highway/freeway obviously). It was oncoming traffic so I basically did a double-take and then started honking my horn. I was so excited :D

I can't imagine there are any other Reliant Robins down here. The old dude driving had a hat on. My first sighting; it seriously sticks out like a car you've never seen before, with its front wheel.
My dad had one when I was a kid. Man we had some fun in that nutty little thing, especially during winters. I've thought seriously about buying a Reliant Kitten (4 wheeled version of the Robin) and dropping a Fireblade engine in there, but I don't want to die that badly.

terrible

Banned
I felt like the show was at its best when they were a little more subtle when it came to scripted events. Hopefully they don't go too overboard with that massive budget lol.

To be a bit fairer to them, they're setting up a lot of stuff from scratch - the entire production company, hiring, equipment, the new brand... there'll be a lot there that was already a working mechanism at the BBC.

Though even if you take that in to account, still wow. It better be a bloody good show and hopefully they use the money well on good ideas.

Do you think they also got the same camera crew or are those employees contracted to BBC still? Top Gear had amazing camera work and editing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wow how's the old BBC top gear going to compete?

I don't know if it does. Keep in mind, this is a show for Amazon Prime Instant viewers. It's still going to be easier for most people to watch Top Gear over this new show.

Top Gear has the brand name, and ease of access. New show has the bigger budget and more enticing talent. It sorta balances out. Sorta.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I have my doubts as to how many people will actually watch this. Top Gear was long in decline and I feel like a lot of the viewership (besides a dedicated core) watched it more out of comfort and tradition. Having to make the effort to go and source the new programme, potentially sign up for Prime lacks the convenience. But we shall see.

Jonnax

I have my doubts as to how many people will actually watch this. Top Gear was long in decline and I feel like a lot of the viewership (besides a dedicated core) watched it more out of comfort and tradition. Having to make the effort to go and source the new programme, potentially sign up for Prime lacks the convenience. But we shall see.

I think internationally it has a huge following. So even if there is a dip it's still majorly popular.

That seems like a crazy investment on Amazon's part. Do they really think this is going to significantly grow their Prime subscription numbers?

Lug Nuts

Banned
I hope they do more serious reviews with dramatic shots/music, i get slightly tired of the caravan crashing and general pissing about after a while, although i still want that aspect just not as OTT. I hope they scrap the news portion and twat in the car all together as that stuff was awful for the last 6 seasons or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom