• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy clarkson and co, new car show with amazon prime 4.5m budget per show

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Wow that's an insane budget. I wish they were a few years younger! I'd love to see another classic car auction/rally. Maybe a challenge where they each restore a car for concourse. Hell, try making cars that can fly!
Reliant Robin Space Shuttle 2.0. Manned.

Make it happen.
I've been wanting them to revisit that for years.

Zaph

I swear I heard before that the reported budget was a lot lower than the real budget/cost.

I wouldn't be surprised. Being a BBC production gives you access to a large network of production assets, talent and international access - all of which would be otherwise costed separately. Ignoring salary increases, there's no way Amazon could produce a similar quality show on the reported BBC budget. Taking a medium-to-large crew on international location shoots is eye-wateringly expensive.

That seems like a crazy investment on Amazon's part. Do they really think this is going to significantly grow their Prime subscription numbers?

Top Gear is/was the biggest show in the world, so probably yes?

Reliant Robin Space Shuttle 2.0. Manned.

Make it happen.

I would like the show to eventually have a conclusive ending in a few years before they inevitably REALLY run out of ideas. However, I would rather it not end with the guaranteed death of one of the presenters.

Monocle

Well, obviously.

Hannibal is a great show, but its hardly even in the same ballpark in terms of what is a good business decision.
It wouldn't be profitable, but it would be good for their brand. They could have kept it around for the same reason NBC did: prestige.

Their supporting Hannibal would indicate that Amazon is a good home for other quality shows, shows that could end up turning a generous profit in time.

Rich!

It wouldn't be profitable, but it would be good for their brand. They could have kept it around for the same reason NBC did: prestige.

Instead they essentially purchased the biggest show in the entire world.

I dunno man, one thing is a good financial decision. the other isn't.

Top Gear is/was the biggest show in the world, so probably yes?

The thing to remember here is that it was the biggest show in the world while on the BBC. Amazon Prime doesn't have anywhere close to as much worldwide reach as the BBC does.

It might boost numbers a little in countries that have access to Prime (even that I have doubts about), but this show will probably overtake GoT as the most popular pirated show.

MilkyJoe

It doesn't need to compete.

No.

I'm glad this is on Amazon Prime. The less Licence Fee Payer's money going to these irredeemable shitheads the better.

(James May is alright though.)

i dont like thing.jpg

Give it a rest

The thing to remember here is that it was the biggest show in the world while on the BBC. Amazon Prime doesn't have anywhere close to as much worldwide reach as the BBC does.

It might boost numbers a little in countries that have access to Prime (even that I have doubts about), but this show will probably overtake GoT as the most popular pirated show.

What makes you think they can't licence it out to global broadcasters in non amazon Prime countries?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
christ, that's one hella budget. Top Gear looked pristine with 1/7 of that, are they piloting mechs this time?

witness

Oh man the great things they could do with that budget.... I can't wait, this show will get me to buy amazon prime.

HariKari

Holy crapoly. Hopefully that kind of budget means that they'll do some specials in the future.

First episode (of the Amazon series) is supposed to be the big three way race Top Gear tried to do but was going to be on this coming series. 918 v LaFerrari v P1

Zaph

As Prime streaming expands into new territories, Amazon needs either localised original programming (expensive) or shows with universal appeal. Amazon has nothing as popular as Game of Thrones or even House of Cards - so they've gone one better and bought something bigger than both combined.

Being able to sell a Fire TV stick with a Prime trial and the Top Gear crew on the box is a once in a blue moon opportunity for them. What I'm really interested in seeing is how much of their image rights have they signed over? Will the trio become the face of all of Amazon's entertainment efforts? Did Bezos manage to include cross-promotion options in their contract? It could be an incredible vehicle (sorry) for Amazon as they expand into other industries, especially considering the company doesn't have much of an international image aside from being 'that website to buy stuff cheap'.

liquidtmd

Banned
Im sorry, that budget is just fucking bloated and silly.

More money does not equal more entertainment and Amazon just throwing money at it in such inflated volumes over the BBC years says a lot more about Amazon than it does about the BBC.

And I'm not really a defender of the BBC on many issues.

Joni

I'm glad this is on Amazon Prime. The less Licence Fee Payer's money going to these irredeemable shitheads the better.
The show made much, much, much, much more money than it cost. It was actually partially funding your licence fee.

Aegus

For season 2 they should sponsor Manor F1 and have May and Clarkson as the drivers for a race season.

They can film other stuff around the races (Camel Vs 458 in Abu Dhabi), Car vs Tank in Russia, If the Mexican GP happens we can send them in the drug lord land and see if they make it out.

Sapiens

So, how does the tv industry in the UK work - do all the folks on the BBC show also do other shows throughout the year, making them hard to poach - or will Amazon be able to get all the behind the scenes folks involved, without jeopardizing their future careers?

Beefy

I think Amazon will do like they do with Ripper Street and license it out.

The Cowboy

I get they want to go all in, but if it was £500,000 per episode on the BBC, its seems insane to ramp it up to £4.5 million per episode - I mean, are they building the cars to drive now?.

Beefy

So, how does the tv industry in the UK work - do all the folks on the BBC show also do other shows throughout the year, making them hard to poach - or will Amazon be able to get all the behind the scenes folks involved, without jeopardizing their future careers?

I expect a lot of staff will leave the BBC Top Gear to join Amazon's version.

Beefy

I get they want to go all in, but if it was £500,000 per episode on the BBC, its seems insane to ramp it up to £4.5 million per episode - I mean, are they building the cars to drive now?.

Travelling through Argentina in different World War tanks.....

Qassim

It's worth noting in regards to the BBC budget, the BBC is the largest broadcaster in the world and has the infrastructure to run it. So that budget may need to be quite a bit bigger, to hire equipment, studios, contractors, field workers, getting all the logistics for all that equipment and people, etc.

The BBC has a lot of that built in. Amazon won't have all that at this point, so the budget may be inflated sort of. It's still undoubtedly a bigger budget, but maybe it's worth pointing these things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom