• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VP of Digital Media at Microsoft Confirms NO 1080p HD-DVD or DVD over Component

Looks like you were right KLee - AACS is implemented NOW and there is no way MS can bypass that or CCA (for DVD) over component.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8478750&&#post8478750

For component, you get gaming up to 1080p, and 1080i for HD DVD. DVD only works at 480p over this connection. The latter two are due to restrictions in DVD CCA and AACS rules for DVD and HD DVD playback respectively.

1080p is supported over VGA for DVD, HD DVD and gaming output. And yes, AACS does allow 1080p over VGA (classified under authorized "computer monitor outputs").

It's a shame the VGA output on X360 is not up to par.

So were MS lying about 1080p over component or they just didn't know?

Maybe Stinkles or arne can fill us in.

teiresias

Isn't it rather pointless to go through all of this trouble to block 1080p from going over component, and then to turn right around and allow it through VGA? Both are unprotected, analog connection paths, and I'd even argue that there are far more VGA inputs in existence than there are component inputs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
teiresias said:
Isn't it rather pointless to go through all of this trouble to block 1080p from going over component, and then to turn right around and allow it through VGA? Both are unprotected, analog connection paths, and I'd even argue that there are far more VGA inputs in existence than there are component inputs.

its a loophole. They couldn't very well restrict high resolutions over VGA as computers need to output those anyway. And you can't deliberately 'badly' upscale. You have to upscale the source to fit your VGA monitor.

Vark

teiresias said:

It was an original concession they made way back when because it would have screwed PC users. MS is just taking advantage of the technicality.

monkeymagic said:
Looks like you were right KLee - AACS is implemented NOW and there is no way MS can bypass that or CCA (for DVD) over component.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8478750&&#post8478750

Maybe Stinkles or arne can fill us in.
or to spin this a DIFFERENT way:
Looks like the $299 xbox 360 can do HD-DVD films at 1080p if you buy a vga cable, and the HD-DVD drive something the $499 PS3 can't do however much money you spend on it.

we had these facts in the other forum. we don't need a new thread with added spin thank you.

MS were just as wrong as some at Sony were to say it could do 1080p movies over component.

NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DAMAGE CONTROLLED.

remember when i told you all this about the ps3 $499 edition and you didn't believe me?

shock.gif

plagiarize said:
Looks like the $299 xbox 360 can do HD-DVD films at 1080p if you buy a vga cable, and the HD-DVD drive something the $499 PS3 can't do however much money you spend on it..

What are you talking about :lol

If $499 X360+HD-DVD can do 1080p over VGA so can $499 PS3.

Neither of them can do 1080p over component.

This just confirms that $499 PS3 is an even better deal than $499 X360+HD-DVD because of the 20GB HDD.

monkeymagic said:

You'll never get anywhere bandying those sorts of accusations about. Can't you ever phrase things like a rational person?

Here's the way someone who's not a harebrained paranoid would phrase the question: "Why did MS claim 1080p was available over component?"

Maybe if you start adopting a more reason-based approach to life, other things might fall into place as well. Doors you imagined closed will suddenly open. Women you've been wanting to talk to for ages will finally decide to give you the time of day. Things can change, MonkeyMagic. You just have to let them.

Jim

plagiarize said:
Looks like the $299 xbox 360 can do HD-DVD films at 1080p if you buy a vga cable, and the HD-DVD drive something the $499 PS3 can't do however much money you spend on it.

How about by using the PS3's VGA cable?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
hey look, SDF members spinning information that's already in another thread against Microsoft! I would've never guessed.

You guys are as bad as the xbots who enter every PS3 thread to bitch about 1080p and post nonstop Gears of War comparisons.

plagiarize said:

Who's to say the PS3 can't output to VGA?

EDIT: Dammit, Jim! I'm a poster, not a moderator!

Razoric

Banned
plagiarize said:

:lol :lol wow it's like some of you actually believe the FUD you spew.

The $499 PS3 can output 1080p over vga too.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
BenjaminBirdie said:
You'll never get anywhere bandying those sorts of accusations about. Can't you ever phrase things like a rational person?

Here's the way someone who's not a harebrained paranoid would phrase the question: "Why did MS claim 1080p was available over component?"

Maybe if you start adopting a more reason-based approach to life, other things might fall into place as well. Doors you imagined closed will suddenly open. Women you've been wanting to talk to for ages will finally decide to give you the time of day. Things can change, MonkeyMagic. You just have to let them.

Kellie. Kellie. Kellie.

Hey, I know, maybe MS just wants to focus on games being in 1080p via component. It is, afterall, a video game console first, movie player by choice, second.

Juice

Not surprised at all. I was flabbergasted when everyone in the other thread just assumed that Microsoft would violate the AACS rules.

That said, isn't it the case that Japan has gotten a pass for AACS restriction until 2011. Shouldn't that mean that in Japan 1080p HD-DVD over component should be allowed?

Perhaps that's where the confusion came from.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Jesus, can't you people keep this 1080p idiocy to one thread?

WE DON'T CARE.
Exactly. Why Monkey has the ability to make redundant and retarded threads still, I don't know. It's not like he didn't see this same information in the practically official mod-made thread about six hours ago...

teiresias

plagiarize said:

we had these facts in the other forum. we don't need a new thread with added spin thank you.

MS were just as wrong as some at Sony were to say it could do 1080p movies over component.

NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DAMAGE CONTROLLED.

remember when i told you all this about the ps3 $499 edition and you didn't believe me?

The PS3 can't have a VGA output? Please, who's spinning now?

Mrbob

There was talk about 1080P movies on HD DVD player. Don't be so naive. ;)

Anyways, I'm not surprised and expected this. I didn't think AACS regulations would change.

For all intents and purposes, you want 1080P you buy a PS3. Only way you will really get 1080P is via HDMI.

oh please. i even called it spin right there in my post.

the point of my post was that THIS NEWS DIDN'T NEED SPINNING AT ALL, NOR DID IT NEED IT'S OWN THREAD because we had these facts in the other thread.

i figured you guys would get the joke because i was saying the PS3 CAN'T PLAY HD-DVDs... next time i'll highlight it pink and right 'lol' before and after it.

Vark

Juice said:
Not surprised at all. I was flabbergasted when everyone in the other thread just assumed that Microsoft would violate the AACS rules.

That said, isn't it the case that Japan has gotten a pass for AACS restriction until 2011. Shouldn't that mean that in Japan 1080p HD-DVD over component should be allowed?

Perhaps that's where the confusion came from.

HDCP ICT flags have a quasi pass until 2011.

There's basically 2 different regulations that prohibit it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Wow, this certainly needed its own thread.

That way the SDF could be sure everyone saw how MS 'lied' to us and reasure themselves that the PS3 is the only true 4d system.

Or maybe MS could release an HDMI cable for the 360? Also, the DVI output on the 360 has been great since the Spring update. But dont let the truth get in your way. Sadly, my TV's DVI input is on the front of the TV so I wont use it as a permanent solution.. (I guess it makes sense for hooking a laptop up :x)

For all intents and purposes, you want 1080P you buy a PS3. Only way you will really get 1080P is via HDMI.

Unless you want to play games on your game console, than the 360 can do nicely. Or downloaded movies to the 360's HD, or movies streamed from you PC.

I dont know why I'm even arguing this, I dont care about 1080p, but some peoples "lomgic" is erally annoying.

I'd like to think monkey's obsession with the 360 is due to a lack of games right now, given the PS3 has another few months to launch. I'd also like to think that once released, maybe having some actual nextgen games to play would deter the attention/threads/posts he showers upon the 360 (or pisses, given your POV).

Somehow I doubt that's going to happen, and it's a real shame. :)

Ponn01 said:
Actually for once someone from Sony makes a comment that is pretty sensible and makes sense.
apart from the bit that he got wrong about the 360 not being able to render games at 1080p of course.

edit: and yes, lock or merge this thread with the other one.

thirty

Banned
again....i'd bet there have been less than 50k 1080p sets sold in the US so far. this 1080p thing is so retarded its not even funny.

vantastic

xbots am cry
/thread
i can't believe all of them coming out and crying and complaining about the same thing
"wah sdf! wahhhh!!!"

Ponn01 said:
Read my edit.
what about it? the guy at sony says it can't do it. it can. what's your point? that developers have to make games capable of it? that's the same for the PS3. it's not like every first or second party PS3 game is in 1080p.

anyway my point in bringing that up is that PR people regularly don't know shit about the technical capabilities of the hardware they're pimping. there's plenty of examples from Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft of this, without inferring that we were being lied to when it shouldn't have even come into question.

vantastic

Nerevar said:
hey look, SDF members spinning information that's already in another thread against Microsoft! I would've never guessed.

You guys are as bad as the xbots who enter every PS3 thread to bitch about 1080p and post nonstop Gears of War comparisons.
xbots are much much worse. "360 version confirmed?!???!?! in any third party ps3 game thread" :lol

Top Bottom