• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VP of Digital Media at Microsoft Confirms NO 1080p HD-DVD or DVD over Component

Mmmkay said:
As I said in the other thread, this is pretty much Joystiq's doing. In their interview with Shane Kim, where he said "[the] patch would upscale all content". It was Joystiq's own elaboration that suggested Component was capable of it.

However, the original PR statement was ambiguous and they should have included the caveat that video content was only enabled at 1080p through VGA.
they'd need to be more specific than that. just as is true with the ps3, this only applies to copyrighted discs, so if microsoft put up a 1080p video on the marketplace (say a trailer), that'll display at 1080p through component just fine.

*everyone* needs to be more specific about this, because there's still so many people that don't get what they can and can't display over which connection.

i'm with Bojangles on this. DRM restrictions suck ass for consumers.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Let's try and reapir this ****ing thread for something positive.

Hold hands PS3 tard pack and 360 owners - we might both be in the same boat for 1080p HD disc content. We can both do it just fine, but we both need a cable and we both might have more options:

I can think of no reason why a component to VGA adapter wouldn't work. Also, VGA-DVI certainly works because I use it already.

snatches

Mmmkay said:
As I said in the other thread, this is pretty much Joystiq's doing. In their interview with Shane Kim, where he said "[the] patch would upscale all content". It was Joystiq's own elaboration that suggested Component was capable of it.

However, the original PR statement was ambiguous and they should have included the caveat that video content was only enabled at 1080p through VGA.

As it relates to the system without HDDVD drive, all downloaded video content via XBL should support 1080p though correct? This would give them some leeway with the PR statement. Maybe movie/game trailers and vids on marketplace will support 1080p....

3rdman

Mmmkay said:

So that "Press Release" was actually Joystiq's column? Would you mind quoting or posting a link to the acutal press release then?

Stinkles said:
Let's try and reapir this ****ing thread for something positive.

Hold hands PS3 tard pack and 360 owners - we might both be in the same boat for 1080p HD disc content. We can both do it just fine, but we both need a cable and we both might have more options:

I can think of no reason why a component to VGA adapter wouldn't work. Also, VGA-DVI certainly works because I use it already.
i'm tempted to try VGA - DVI - HDMI if there isn't already a VGA to HDMI cable... but if VGA-DVI works, i'm not wrong in thinking VGA-HDMI should too right?

edit: apparently i am. HDMI doesn't support analogue like DVI does.

arne

Mmmkay said:

from the wording (up until stinkles also pointed it out) I were led to believe that was true about component. I interpreted it wrong, as I'm sure joystiq did too.

I *did* know that VGA was supported in this case, but the other part wasn't clear as stinkles also said in his post above.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
JB1981 said:
The industry is moving towards 1080p. It's just a fact. This time next year no one will be producing 720p sets above 32." Everyone - Sharp, Samsung, Sony, Westinghouse, Hitachi, Panasonic, Pioneer - are moving toward 1080p. Right now, there are pretty affordable 1080p options out there. Sony's A2000 SXRD 50" can be had for about $2,199. Westinghouse's 47" 1080p LCD can be had for $1799. Sharp is releasing a 46" 1080p set this October that will most likely be under $3,000. Their 42" will be well below that. And this is just October. By this time next year 1080p sets will be ubiquitous. Seriously, people, try and have a little foresight on this issue. It's 480p from last-gen days all over again. And it will become a reality.

The industry is moving towards 1080p at a glacial pace. The MAJORITY of HD-TV's in homes and in stores right now are 720p/1080i. So while monkeymagic is trying to impress Kellie with his posting skills in an effort to get her to talk to him, the majority of the HD gaming public right now have absolutley no reason to run out and buy another $1100+ TV just to get 1080p. Plus, the industry does not always represent what consumers want and they make mistakes. While I don't think 1080p is a mistake, it is far too early to start short stroking the assclowns who think that 1080p is the end-all be-all of this next gen. It is about games and the experiences we have playing them. If resolution was the most important thing in gaming right now, I think we would all hate gaming.

JB1981

thirty said:
and whats hd broadcast standard? 720p/1080i right?

Broadcast HD sucks for the most part. I honestly wouldn't even buy an HDTV right now if that was my main concern. Some stations look great, like the Today Show on NBC or the Late Night TV (Conan, Letterman). Football on Sunday looks fantastic on CBS. But Fox's HD broadcasts are horrid. And so are a lot of others. But, if you're into gaming and high-def movies, there will be more than enough content out there to satisfy your needs.

arne

3rdman said:
So that "Press Release" was actually Joystiq's column? Would you mind quoting or posting a link to the acutal press release then?

the press release didn't specify the types of supported connections.

DenogginizerOS

JB1981 said:
Broadcast HD sucks for the most part. I honestly wouldn't even buy an HDTV right now if that was my main concern. Some stations look great, like the Today Show on NBC or the Late Night TV (Conan, Letterman). Football on Sunday looks fantastic on CBS. But Fox's HD broadcasts are horrid. And so are a lot of others. But, if you're into gaming and high-def movies, there will be more than enough content out there to satisfy your needs.

FOX HD looks amazing in my area. So does Discovery HD, HDNET, ESPN, TNTHD, HBO HD and etc etc. and they are all mostly 1080i.

monkeymagic said:
Looks like you were right KLee - AACS is implemented NOW and there is no way MS can bypass that or CCA (for DVD) over component.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8478750&&#post8478750

It's a shame the VGA output on X360 is not up to par.

So were MS lying about 1080p over component or they just didn't know?

Maybe Stinkles or arne can fill us in.

Will people please stop with the "vga is not up to par"? It looks superior to component as the colors are more natural and less over saturated. Some people may prefer the over saturated look, but it loses definition when the colors are too vibrant. VGA is as closer to the correct color data than component. It's true that about 6 months ago the gamma was set too high on vga output...but that has since been remedied.

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
The industry is moving towards 1080p at a glacial pace. The MAJORITY of HD-TV's in homes and in stores right now are 720p/1080i. So while monkeymagic is trying to impress Kellie with his posting skills in an effort to get her to talk to him, the majority of the HD gaming public right now have absolutley no reason to run out and buy another $1100+ TV just to get 1080p. Plus, the industry does not always represent what consumers want and they make mistakes. While I don't think 1080p is a mistake, it is far too early to start short stroking the assclowns who think that 1080p is the end-all be-all of this next gen. It is about games and the experiences we have playing them. If resolution was the most important thing in gaming right now, I think we would all hate gaming.

That wasn't what your question was asking. You were asking about the availability of 1080p in today's market. If you want to turn this into a debate about 1080p's place in next-gen gaming, then by all means, discuss it. But that wasn't what the post I quoted was asking. The industry tells people where they're going, not the other way around, btw.

Oh, and if HD adoption is so slow, then it stands to reason that those with 720p NOW, will be in the minority of the 1080p HD world, no?

wait..uh did peopel think they were going to get 1080p dvd upscaling over component?

:lol go look at any upscaling DVD player at Best Buy. Is the real news here how people jump to REALLY stupid conclusions?

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
FOX HD looks amazing in my area. So does Discovery HD, HDNET, ESPN, TNTHD, HBO HD and etc etc. and they are all mostly 1080i.

Fox downscales most, if not all, of their broadcasts to 540p.

DenogginizerOS

JB1981 said:
That wasn't what your question was asking. You were asking about the availability of 1080p in today's market. If you want to turn this into a debate about 1080p's place in next-gen gaming, then by all means, discuss it. But that wasn't what the post I quoted was asking. The industry tells people where they're going, not the other way around, btw.

Oh, and if HD adoption is so slow, then it stands to reason that those with 720p NOW, will be in the minority of the 1080p HD world, no?

Consumers dictate the industry. Always have. Always will.

Mmmkay

3rdman said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/20/tgs-xbox-360-to-add-1080p-support-ps3-to-lose-bullet-point/
Joystiq spoke briefly with Shane Kim, General Manager of Microsoft Game Studios, about their announcements in Tokyo today. First off, Kim clarified that, while the software patch would upscale all content to resolutions as high as 1080p, Microsoft themselves had no plans to produce gaming content taking advantage of this ability. He was similarly convinced that very few other developers would see the value in producing 1080p games, with the singular exception of Sony's first-party studios, eager to validate the value of the capability.

Similar to the way the Xbox 360 upscales original Xbox games from 480p to 720p/1080i, you'll be able to enjoy your existing Xbox 360 games at the new resolution. As if you needed more proof that Microsoft's adoption of high definition HD-DVD is little more than a strategic move to limit Blu-ray's potential sphere of influence, Microsoft's 1080p software upgrade will also remove some of the value of their upcoming HD-DVD add-on by upscaling your existing DVD movies to HD resolutions, including 1080p.

So, Microsoft just announced that the Xbox 360 will play your existing DVDs back in high-definition -- in addition to being able to play back legitimate HD-DVD content if you're interested -- and they're gonna do it in 1080p. In the bullet point war, Sony better hope that extra Blu-ray disc space is worth it; they'll have a chance to prove it at TGS this week.
There's a difference between "movie and game content" and "all" content. The latter implies that the upscaling is unconditional, whereas CCA and AACS both provide conditions which prevent this over Component. I realise now that it doesn't acutally say Component anywhere, and it's bill0527's fault for repeating that it did ad infinitum in the other thread. It was late and I should have double checked. Essentially, it's the stupid internet's fault that Component upscaling/1080p became a 'feature' from this announcement.

thirty

Banned
JB1981 said:

that wasnt my question. whats the STANDARD. huh? little choked there? its not 1080p is it? This thread made me realize how fkd both hollywood and the electronics industry is right now. Essentially what they are trying to do is fkn DOUBLE DIP the damn consumer. They have been profiting like MAD over HDTV and DVD. Those profits are starting to level off so what do they do? HMMMMMMMM you need a NEW HD TV that does 1080p now and these NEW HI DEF video players now because 2-3 years ago THAT OTHER HD stuff wasnt enough! Get out my face with that shit. Hollywood, sony, toshiba and everyone else in on this shit are going to be in for a rude awakening when consumers start to speak up by NOT buying any of this unecessary garbage.

thirty

Banned
K_S said:
How many on this board own, or will own a 1080p set within the next 2-3 years anyway?
how many on this board havent already bought one or more HD sets that DONT do 1080p that are going to just go buy another?

JB1981

thirty said:
that wasnt my question. whats the STANDARD. huh? little choked there? its not 1080p is it? This thread made me realize how fkd both hollywood and the electronics industry is right now. Essentially what they are trying to do is fkn DOUBLE DIP the damn consumer. They have been profiting like MAD over HDTV and DVD. Those profits are starting to level off so what do they do? HMMMMMMMM you need a NEW HD TV that does 1080p now and these NEW HI DEF video players now because 2-3 years ago THAT OTHER HD stuff wasnt enough! Get out my face with that shit. Hollywood, sony, toshiba and everyone else in on this shit are going to be in for a rude awakening when consumers start to speak up by NOT buying any of this unecessary garbage.

I'll continue to talk to you if you're civil. If not, you can **** off. Anyway, standard NTSC is 4:3 at 480i. Should we have just settled at that and not moved on to 16:9 at 480p? Every DVD you buy is mastered this way, and if things didn't improve in any way, you'd be stuck at crappy interlaced 4:3 TV. If you don't find any value in 1080p - if you don't think it's a big leap over 16:9 480p (which it is), then that's your perogative. But don't peddle conspiracy theory nonsense and pass it off as insight into the industry.

Also: how you guys can possibly tolerate watching 640x480 DVDs on your new beautiful HD displays is beyond me. How you're not absolutely craving new, genuine beautifully mastered 16:9 HD movie content boggles the mind.

DenogginizerOS

K_S said:
How many on this board own, or will own a 1080p set within the next 2-3 years anyway?

I think that would be a good poll question. I spent a good chunk of change on my HDTV back in February of this year and have ZERO interest in buying a new TV in the next 3-5 years. And 1080i looks F-ING amazing in a lot of games and movies (see HBO-HD). I have a hard time convincing myself, let alone my wife, that there is a big difference between 720p and 1080i. 1080p for X360 is nothing more than an effort to get X360 customers more options. Nothing more ot less.

Mrbob

K_S said:

I plan on doing so. Waiting for the Sony SXRD to drop under 2 Gs, which will happen sometime next year. Been patiently waiting.

But I agree 1080P will probably be a novelty at best. Unless you also want HD movies which I do.

GreekWolf

m0dus said:
Holy shit--he made ANOTHER thread about this?

Damn if this isn't the most spectacular example of a one-man PR war I've ever seen. :lol
Monkeymagic really is the worst poster on this board. And that's high honor indeed :lol

arne

thirty said:
how many on this board havent already bought one or more HD sets that DONT do 1080p that are going to just go buy another?

I've got a 720p set and I probably won't end up buying one until either OTA broadcasts are 1080p or the format war is decided.

goldenpp72

I bought a 720p set for 900 bucks, I figured most television/games/etc that I care for will be built for that resolution, and once 1080p becomes a real standard ill probably be able to get a good 1080p set much cheaper then I can today.

Thus I own 2 tvs for the price of one or so, eventually.

DenogginizerOS

JB1981 said:
They broadcast the same way in every area. They don't change resolutions based on where you live.

It shows up as 1080i on my TV. Looks amazing to boot. Looks really good. So, if it is in fact a lower resolution, you are proving my pont even more that HD content is really hard to distinguish from reslotion to resolution.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
K_S said:
In 2-3 years, I definitely plan to. It's worth nothing that I don't currently have an HD set though, so it's not like I'll be buying a new one just for 1080p.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
1080p won't be standard, anyone claiming it is either has an agenda or isn't really looking at the industry rationally. TV is going to stay 720p/1080i because cable and satellite companies are already bandwidth-starved as it is. They know, and TV studios know, that an increase in resolution will just result in a downgrade of bitrate, which will actually result in worse-looking TV shows. And when consumers look to buy replacement TVs, the majority are not going to be 50"+ rear projection sets, but smaller LCD sets that are cheaper. Considering that a 720p TV set is cheaper to produce, and offers virtually identical quality to a 1080p set, why would a consumer spend the extra money when the majority of what they watch will be the same quality?

Edit: of course brands seeking to distinguish themselves as "premier products", like Sony with their LCoS sets, are going to be in 1080p, as they're aiming for a particular segment of the market that values that kind of premier feature. But the rest of the consumer market is going to go for what's cheaper, which is invariably going to be 720p.

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
It shows up as 1080i on my TV. Looks amazing to boot. Looks really good. So, if it is in fact a lower resolution, you are proving my pont even more that HD content is really hard to distinguish from reslotion to resolution.

Yeah, but I think it looks like shit. And that was before I found out it was downscaled. So your argument doesn't hold up for everyone.

thirty said:

I'm not re-buying. I have no need for one anyhow. I can't stand TV's beyond the size of 32"

JB1981

Nerevar said:
Edit: of course brands seeking to distinguish themselves as
"premier products", like Sony with their LCoS sets

Strange that you singled-out Sony, when JVC also makes LCoS, and LCoS is hardly a 'premiere product.' Sony's A2000 50" is one of the most affordable 50" TVs on the market.

DenogginizerOS

JB1981 said:
Yeah, but I think it looks like shit. And that was before I found out it was downscaled. So your argument doesn't hold up for everyone.

What size TV do you own? CRT, Plasma, LCD?

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
What size TV do you own? CRT, Plasma, LCD?

For now? I have a CRT. It looks great at 720p, but that doesn't mean I don't plan to upgrade. I'm currently eyeing Sharp's next winter 1080p display. It should be arriving sometime in Jan/Feb with 2500:1 CR, 4ms response time and 120hz. I bought a Sony XBR 960 34" HD CRT as a stopgap display because I wanted to enjoy X360 in high-def. Seriously, though, how could you guys not welcome the coming of new HD home video format? How do you tolerate DVD res on your beautiful new HD displays?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
JB1981 said:
Strange that you singled-out Sony, when JVC also makes LCoS, and LCoS is hardly a 'premiere product.' Sony's A2000 50" is one of the most affordable 50" TVs on the market.

oh, here we go again ...

Before you and the rest of the SDF go off on some asinine tangent about fanboyism and other bullshit, I've given nothing but praise for the Sony RP LCD and LCoS sets. They're very high quality. I singled them out because their sets are of significantly higher quality than the JVC LCoS sets, which have been plagued by quality control problems since they started. They have a very strong lineup of TV products that they have tended to market as high-lifestyle "premier" products, and are easily recognizable as the most visible brand to do so.

It's like even mentioning Sony gets all you SDF girls' panties in a bunch.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
snatches said:
As it relates to the system without HDDVD drive, all downloaded video content via XBL should support 1080p though correct? This would give them some leeway with the PR statement. Maybe movie/game trailers and vids on marketplace will support 1080p....
Yes, and that's the way yesterday's press release read for anyone who's actually had a genuine enough interest in 1080p to pay attention to what the facts are in these threads. Maybe less worrying about how much of an ***hat monkeymagic is, less attempting to spread an agenda of FUD about how "meaningless" 1080p is and more attention to getting the facts right in the first place would reduce much of the confusion. :p

DenogginizerOS

JB1981 said:
For now? I have a CRT. It looks great at 720p, but that doesn't mean I don't plan to upgrade. I'm currently eyeing Sharp's next winter 1080p display. It should be arriving sometime in Jan/Feb with 2500:1 CR, 4ms response time and 120hz. I bought a Sony XBR 960 34" HD CRT as a stopgap display because I wanted to enjoy X360 in high-def. Seriously, though, how could you guys not welcome the coming of new HD home video format? How do you tolerate DVD res on your beautiful new HD displays?

I have a Sony upscaler DVD player that upscales to 1080i quite nicely via HDMI. For the price and the money I am saving to buy games, the many movies I have in my DVD collection look absolutely great on my 30" Sony CRT.

JB1981

Also, if you guys want to see the wonders 1080p does for 1080i material, just check out an HD-DVD demo on a 1080p Westinghouse at Best Buy. The resolution is staggering.

Top Bottom