• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VP of Digital Media at Microsoft Confirms NO 1080p HD-DVD or DVD over Component

duk

Banned
vantastic said:
xbots are much much worse. "360 version confirmed?!???!?! in any third party ps3 game thread" :lol

more like the other way around, oblivion, lost planet, dead rising, etc

bill0527

Anyone else surprised that "penis in a blender" Monkeymagic decided to make a brand new page 1 thread about this?

This was already posted in the other thread.

vantastic said:
xbots are much much worse. "360 version confirmed?!???!?! in any third party ps3 game thread" :lol

Not nearly as annoying as "omg, no 'only on xbox' logo, so there must be a superior ps3 version confirmed am total!!!".

bill0527 said:
Anyone else surprised that "penis in a blender" Monkeymagic decided to make a brand new page 1 thread about this?

Nope. Kellie's been pretty clear about why she won't talk to him, and this is one of the main reasons she cited. "Doesn't he always post threads that are completely redundant and inflammatory? Don't put him on, I don't want to talk to him."

Luisito

For component, you get gaming up to 1080p, and 1080i for HD DVD. DVD only works at 480p over this connection. The latter two are due to restrictions in DVD CCA and AACS rules for DVD and HD DVD playback respectively.

Hey, that what's important to me. Having the option of playing games in 1080P on my Westinghouse 1080P set via components if the game supports it. :D

Didn't someone mention in another post(was it monkey?) that the Xenos couldn't output 1080P because of it's limitation!? :lol

hadareud

The Translator
bill0527 said:

This was already posted in the other thread.
I am a bit actually, I always thought he was such a quality poster.

Ponn

Banned
plagiarize said:
what about it? the guy at sony says it can't do it. it can. what's your point? that developers have to make games capable of it? that's the same for the PS3. it's not like every first or second party PS3 game is in 1080p.

anyway my point in bringing that up is that PR people regularly don't know shit about the technical capabilities of the hardware they're pimping. there's plenty of examples from Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft of this, without inferring that we were being lied to when it shouldn't have even come into question.

Eh? Yea I reread it. I don't think he said 360 "can't" do 1080p, just that the patch is meant just to upscale. Since we still have not seen one 1080p 360 game it's still unproven if we will see any, and this is where the limitations of DVD storage would really kick in. With MS announcing the hands off approach to 1080p game development I wouldn't hold my breath on it. 720p is the standard they have chosen and really thats fine, at least HD is a standard compared to what I had to deal with poorly developed HD games on the Xbox. This is still great news for 360 owners, especially for HD-DVD and DVD upscaling.

Ponn01 said:
Eh? Yea I reread it. I don't think he said 360 "can't" do 1080p, just that the patch is meant just to upscale. Since we still have not seen one 1080p 360 game it's still unproven if we will see any, and this is where the limitations of DVD storage would really kick in. With MS announcing the hands off approach to 1080p game development I wouldn't hold my breath on it. 720p is the standard they have chosen and really thats fine, at least HD is a standard compared to what I had to deal with poorly developed HD games on the Xbox. This is still great news for 360 owners, especially for HD-DVD and DVD upscaling.
the patch doesn't just upscale though. it also makes the system capable of rendering a game at 1080p and outputting it at such, even if such a game never comes into existance. a comment along the lines of 'we'll see how many games come out that make use of it' would have been perfectly appropriate. i'm just saying that this guy sounds misinformed on what the patch actually does. not that he's stupid, lying or exagerating.

a lot of people thought all it did was allow upscaling to 1080p until confirmation came yesterday that that wasn't the case.

monkeymagic said:
Sony is right until we see any native 1080p games announced for X360.

Until then it's just a upscaling bullet point.

Kinda slow today, eh? Only 2 posts in this thread AND you've left a FIFA360 thread untouched for close to *looks at watch* 40 minutes now.

Gogomonkeygo!

Edit- you know what? don't sweat it monkey, I'll post for ya in that FIFA thread. :)

monkeymagic said:
Sony is right until we see any native 1080p games announced for X360.

Until then it's just a upscaling bullet point.
jeez, how dare i say a Sony rep is uninformed about the technical capabilities of his competitors system.

i should follow your lead and infer that they're lying right?

if sony had SAID 'it's just a compatibility feature UNTIL we see actual 1080p games' then they'd be right. but they didn't say that.

PR people **** up. i don't think we need to start listing examples (which I'll restate come from right across the board).

Argyle

plagiarize said:
the patch doesn't just upscale though. it also makes the system capable of rendering a game at 1080p and outputting it at such, even if such a game never comes into existance. a comment along the lines of 'we'll see how many games come out that make use of it' would have been perfectly appropriate. i'm just saying that this guy sounds misinformed on what the patch actually does. not that he's stupid, lying or exagerating.

a lot of people thought all it did was allow upscaling to 1080p until confirmation came yesterday that that wasn't the case.

Actually, all the patch does is allow 1080p output/upscaling, developers always had the option to render internally at 1080p and output at 1080i/downscale to other resolutions, but before, why would they bother?

Blame! said:
damage control is strong on both sides yar.

god i love console wars! :lol
it's not damage control. if i was in here yesterday saying 'lolz 1080p over component for films, EAT THAT SONY' then yes. but i wasn't.

1080p movies are not allowed over component. it didnt have anything to do with sony when that was made clear for the PS3, and it doesn't have anything to do with microsoft now that it's made clear for the 360.

surely for something to be 'damage control' it has to be about bad news, not, something we've known for months to be true of any next gen HD movie format player regardless of whether or not it's EVEN A CONSOLE?

there was already a thread on this, that last i looked, was discussing these very points before Monkeymagic decided this needed it's own thread.

Do arne and Stinkles want to give us an update?

I seem to remember they were all over the 1080p over component announcement when it was first made but suspiciously quiet in this one.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
What percentage of tv's in homes and in stores are 1080p ready? How much more money will it cost me to purchase a great 1080i TV versus a great 1080p TV? What percentage of TV's have HDMI ports versus those with component only?

Ponn

Banned
plagiarize said:
jeez, how dare i say a Sony rep is uninformed about the technical capabilities of his competitors system.

i should follow your lead and infer that they're lying right?

if sony had SAID 'it's just a compatibility feature UNTIL we see actual 1080p games' then they'd be right. but they didn't say that.

PR people **** up. i don't think we need to start listing examples (which I'll restate come from right across the board).

*cough*

Argyle said:
Actually, all the patch does is allow 1080p output/upscaling, developers always had the option to render internally at 1080p and output at 1080i/downscale to other resolutions, but before, why would they bother?

Thanks Argyle. This is why I said when I read it didn't sound like the Sony PR person said specifically the 360 couldn't do 1080p. If the power is there, and a firmware won't change that, then it was always there. Since I don't have a 1080p TV, well yet, right now I don't really care. A 1080p upscaled game I imagine would look pretty good, maybe something like getting progressive scan games. I care more for the movie news though.

Arsenal

I thought this was a given? 1080p over component is not possible for movies because the stuidos have screwed us over with their format restrictions.

And besides that, it is just upscaled anyway, its not like it is native 1080p - a 1080p TV would likely do the scaling for you if you used component.

The hype and FUD around 1080p is ridiculous - it is marketing guys, on both sides of the fence, it doesn't really matter.

monkeymagic said:

I seem to remember they were all over the 1080p over component announcement when it was first made but suspiciously quiet in this one.
I seem to remember both of them saying that they were unsure of the wording in the release and the specifics.

I also seem to remember both of them conceding that this wasn't their area.

...pillow biter. :p

monkeymagic said:

honestly, what do you expect them to say?

we have the facts now. you can't leave it at that? you have to have them kiss your feet and apologise or something? i didn't see the posts, but i'm guessing they made a common mistake (which you made in the past) and didn't realise that 1080p copy protected content wasn't allowed over component cables.

what kind of an 'update' are you after? at best they'll just go 'sorry i didn't know'. you didn't at one time. i didn't at one time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
monkeymagic said:

I find your constant posting on this tedious and to be honest, a little bit on the hysterical side. It is never-ending, usually rude and a little bit bizarre.

There are Sony fans in this thread you started and the other one you left because nobody was paying attention to you - who're completely bored by your constant trolling of this subject.

Do you actually work for Sony? because at least then you would have a reason to invest this much hysterical energy into the subject. No offense intended, I'm just curious.

Full disclosure: I was led to believe the other night that 1080p HD DVD would output through component, in direct contradiction to the quotes posted here. However I am also led to believe there is more to this story coming. I am also the owner of a 720p and a 1080i TV set - so it makes no difference to me personally. I am also not authorized to speak about general MS matters, I am simply curious and interested in the tech and the announcement, same as everyone here.

So there's your update. Maybe you should calm down and go get some nice fresh air. ANd quit the 1080p "upscaling" bit. It refers to native output.

thirty

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
What percentage of tv's in homes and in stores are 1080p ready? How much more money will it cost me to purchase a great 1080i TV versus a great 1080p TV? What percentage of TV's have HDMI ports versus those with component only?

no ones going to answer this question because they know it'll show you how stupid this 1080p thing is. i'd guess there'd have to be over 1000x more 720p sets out there than 1080p sets.

Nimoy laughs at this useless thread! Hahahah.

bbaggins.gif

Now stop with the 1080p non-issue. It didn't matter last week and it doesn't matter now. The AAA games will not use this resolution! Use 720p from last gen as an example. How many quality games used it? soul calibur 2? That's about it. All the other games were ported trash.

Gattsu25

Banned
1080p can be done over component, it just isn't allowed by the movie industry

didn't we already go over this exact same thread numerous times regarding the PS3?

3rdman

monkeymagic said:
Looks like you were right KLee - AACS is implemented NOW and there is no way MS can bypass that or CCA (for DVD) over component.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8478750&&#post8478750

It's a shame the VGA output on X360 is not up to par.

So were MS lying about 1080p over component or they just didn't know?

Maybe Stinkles or arne can fill us in.

Honestly, how do asses like this guy not get banned? The post is total troll bait and EVERYBODY here knows it.

Can someone post the original Press release that claims 1080p over component? The only thing I could find was this:

For Release 4 p.m. Tokyo time/3 a.m. EDT
Sept. 20, 2006
Microsoft Showcases Library of Nearly 110 High-Definition Xbox 360 Games at the Tokyo Game Show
"Blue Dragon” Leads Holiday Lineup of Games; “Pac-Man” World Championship, Xbox 360 HD DVD Player in Japan and 1080p Support for Xbox 360 unveiled.

TOKYO — Sept. 20, 2006 — Today at the Tokyo Game Show 2006, Microsoft Corp. delivered information on new and improved entertainment experiences for Japanese gamers, including details of the Xbox 360™ library of nearly 110 high-definition games available this holiday season in Japan, which will include the highly anticipated “Blue Dragon” from Microsoft Game Studios. Microsoft also paid tribute to NAMCO BANDAI Games and “Pac-Man,” announcing that the first “Pac-Man” World Championship will be held in early 2007 using Xbox 360 and Xbox Live® Arcade. Microsoft also revealed details of other entertainment offerings enabled through Xbox 360, with availability date and pricing provided for the Xbox 360 HD DVD player in Japan, as well as news of an update that will allow the Xbox 360 console to output full 1080p games and video.

At the best-attended gaming convention in the world, Microsoft showcased games that will boost the Xbox 360 software library in Japan to nearly 110 titles by holiday season 2006 as well as more titles coming well into 2007. The Xbox 360 games showcased include “Blue Dragon” (Microsoft Game Studios), “Lost Planet: Extreme Condition” (Capcom), “Dead or Alive: Xtreme 2” (Tecmo Inc.) and the newly announced “Trusty Bell” (NAMCO BANDAI Games), and a host of anticipated Xbox Live Arcade titles. For 2007, Microsoft also announced a pipeline of great games that include the epic role-playing game (RPG) “Infinite Undiscovery” (Microsoft Game Studios).

“The key to winning the hearts and minds of the Japanese market is great games, and this great lineup demonstrates that Xbox 360 has those games in spades,” said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business in the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. “Our lineup of role-playing games from the acknowledged masters of the genre is proof positive that there has never been a better time for Japanese gamers to jump in and pick up an Xbox 360 system.”

Many game titles, including the much-anticipated epic RPG “Blue Dragon,” will be playable for the first time in the Microsoft® booth at the Tokyo Game Show. Other playable titles include “Lost Odyssey™” (Microsoft Game Studios) and “Viva Piñata™” (Microsoft Game Studios).

Xbox Live Arcade and the “Pac-Man” World Championship

With the creator of “Pac-Man,” Toru Iwatani, onstage Peter Moore announced that Microsoft and NAMCO BANDAI Games will host the first “Pac-Man” World Championship in early 2007. The top 10 players in the world for “Pac-Man” on Xbox Live Arcade will compete for the title in New York City. More details, including how to qualify for the championship, will be made available in the coming months.

Continuing its tremendous momentum, Xbox Live Arcade has also announced in Tokyo a host of exciting new games, including some that will be exclusive to the Japanese market. Gamers will have the opportunity to try a host of new games on the show floor, including the classic side-scroller “Contra” (Konami Corp.), the space-shooter “Gyruss” (Konami), the enemy-popping classic “Dig Dug” (NAMCO BANDAI Games), arcade favorite “Track & Field” (Konami), “New Rally-X” (NAMCO BANDAI Games) “Rush’n Attack” (Konami), a favorite 1980s side-scroller, and the inimitable “Ms. Pac-Man” (NAMCO BANDAI Games). In addition, the Japan-exclusive Xbox Live Arcade game “Yie Ar Kung Fu” (Konami), one of the very first fighting games, was announced for release in 2007.

Xbox 360 HD DVD Player and 1080p Support

Microsoft announced pricing and availability details for the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player in Japan. The accessory will launch on Nov. 17, 2006, priced at ¥19,800 (estimated retail price), and will come with an Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote.

“Xbox 360 and the HD DVD Player together deliver the most powerful and affordable games and movie system for Japanese consumers,” Moore said. “The freedom to choose their entertainment experiences is extremely important for consumers as they enter the next generation.”

In addition, Microsoft announced that its fall software update, scheduled for release later this year, will allow all Xbox 360 consoles around the world to output game and movie content in 1080p resolution.

XNA

Demonstrating its pledge to democratize game development for tomorrow’s game developers, Microsoft announced that four Japanese universities will use its XNA™ Game Studio Express software in educational material and research within their course offerings. The XNA software allows hobbyists, students and independent game developers to create games for Windows® and, for the first time, Xbox 360 with the goal that user-generated games made with XNA will arrive on Xbox Live Marketplace. Tokyo University, Tokyo Polytechnic University, Ritsumeikan University and Osaka Electro-Communication University join the dozens of universities worldwide that have pledged support for Microsoft’s XNA vision and are recognizing the potential of XNA Game Studio Express as an educational tool. As a result, these four schools will integrate XNA software into their game development curricula, labs and games-related research.

“As I turn my attention and passion toward teaching the next generation of game developers, I am thrilled with XNA Game Studio Express and related products,” said Toru Iwatani, a lecturer at Tokyo Polytechnic University and original creator of “Pac-Man.” “I believe that these products are attractive and effective because they create a development environment that matches the skill level and area of expertise, widening the entry of future developers into game development.”

XNA Game Studio Express beta was made available to users worldwide on Aug. 30, 2006. The final version of XNA Game Studio Express will be made available this holiday season.

Can I get the link to the original Press Release that has this "lie".

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:

The industry is moving towards 1080p. It's just a fact. This time next year no one will be producing 720p sets above 32." Everyone - Sharp, Samsung, Sony, Westinghouse, Hitachi, Panasonic, Pioneer - are moving toward 1080p. Right now, there are pretty affordable 1080p options out there. Sony's A2000 SXRD 50" can be had for about $2,199. Westinghouse's 47" 1080p LCD can be had for $1799. Sharp is releasing a 46" 1080p set this October that will most likely be under $3,000. Their 42" will be well below that. And this is just October. By this time next year 1080p sets will be ubiquitous. Seriously, people, try and have a little foresight on this issue. It's 480p from last-gen days all over again. And it will become a reality.

Ponn01 said:
*cough*

Thanks Argyle. This is why I said when I read it didn't sound like the Sony PR person said specifically the 360 couldn't do 1080p. If the power is there, and a firmware won't change that, then it was always there. Since I don't have a 1080p TV, well yet, right now I don't really care. A 1080p upscaled game I imagine would look pretty good, maybe something like getting progressive scan games. I care more for the movie news though.
i think you're still not getting it. i don't think you understood what argyle was saying. he's saying the 360 could have rendered internally at 1080p all along. not upscaling... just that there was no point because it couldn't output at it before this patch. that doesn't actually change anything.

the sony rep said
sonyrep said:
Microsoft's announced HD games patch is really just a compatibility feature - upscaling lower-resolution content does not make it Full HD (1080p)

what point was he trying to make? that there's no 1080p games? he doesn't say that. he says upscaling lower resolution content doesn't make it proper 1080p. he's right, it doesn't. it doesn't for PS3 games either. only games made in 1080p display at 1080p on the PS3 and the same will be true for any 360 game that uses the resolution. this is what it sounds like he doesn't know. with this patch the 360 is JUST AS CAPABLE of 1080p as the $499 PS3.

i am not attacking him, or you. i'm saying that he, like the MS people that thought 1080p films over component were possible, is just misinformed. this sony guy isn't spreading FUD, he just didn't know... because PR guys aren't very good when it comes to the technical abilities of systems.

it's all in response to monkeymagic questioning whether or not the MS reps were *knowingly lying* about it yesterday.

snatches

BenjaminBirdie said:
Nope. Kellie's been pretty clear about why she won't talk to him, and this is one of the main reasons she cited. "Doesn't he always post threads that are completely redundant and inflammatory? Don't put him on, I don't want to talk to him."

^^^^

This is what I'm talking about Stinkles. Check yer pm's. cuckoo for cocoa puffs man.

snatches

BenjaminBirdie said:
You'll never get anywhere bandying those sorts of accusations about. Can't you ever phrase things like a rational person?

Here's the way someone who's not a harebrained paranoid would phrase the question: "Why did MS claim 1080p was available over component?"

Maybe if you start adopting a more reason-based approach to life, other things might fall into place as well. Doors you imagined closed will suddenly open. Women you've been wanting to talk to for ages will finally decide to give you the time of day. Things can change, MonkeyMagic. You just have to let them.

:lol :lol

After reading the whole thread, BB, you sir, are hilarious.

Mmmkay

3rdman said:
Can I get the link to the original Press Release that has this "lie".
As I said in the other thread, this is pretty much Joystiq's doing. In their interview with Shane Kim, where he said "[the] patch would upscale all content". It was Joystiq's own elaboration that suggested Component was capable of it.

However, the original PR statement was ambiguous and they should have included the caveat that video content was only enabled at 1080p through VGA.

thirty

Banned
JB1981 said:
The industry is moving towards 1080p. It's just a fact. This time next year no one will be producing 720p sets above 32." Everyone - Sharp, Samsung, Sony, Westinghouse, Hitachi, Panasonic, Pioneer - are moving toward 1080p. Right now, there are pretty affordable 1080p options out there. Sony's A2000 SXRD 50" can be had for about $2,199. Westinghouse's 47" 1080p LCD can be had for $1799. Sharp is releasing a 46" 1080p set this October that will most likely be under $3,000. Their 42" will be well below that. And this is just October. By this time next year 1080p sets will be ubiquitous. Seriously, people, try and have a little foresight on this issue. It's 480p from last-gen days all over again. And it will become a reality.

for one not everyone buys a TV over 32 inches(you think the teen in his room or the student in his dorm with have a 50 inch set?)and for 2 again, probably until next gen or later 720p will be a larger audience than 1080p. Theres no denying that. I have 2 HD sets. both fairly new. You think i'm just gonna run out and buy ANOTHER one just because of this stupid hype? I'm sure there are millions out there who arent going to either. Its not like I bought a pair of shoes and they are worn out and i need another $60 pair. The shoes havent even been ****ing used and a new pair would cost over $1000. its retarded.

Top Bottom