• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2010

BooJoh

MadOdorMachine said:
I have a question somewhat related and I don't want to bump the other threads. Does anyone know if Contra & Castlevania Rebirth support widescreen? So far, every video I've seen has been 4:3 aspect ratio.
That's a no for Castlevania. But it does allow you to adjust X and Y scaling if hideous stretched pixels are your thing.

edit - to clarify, I guess that would mean that technically, yes, the game is running in widescreen mode, but the actual game screen is confined to a 4:3 area in the center of the screen. Guess it's part of the "retro."

bryehn said:
Make a list and cross it off, or even play your favorite pen-and-paper games (games not included).

Sounds fun.

Oh, GEE WHIZ! This is the greatest present I ever had in my whole life... that I never wanted, EVER! I'll just break out the GPS Trac-- OH I just remembered... it doesn't have it. It doesn't even have a map in here! All that's in here is paper! If I wanted that I'd chop down a bunch a trees in the rainforest!! I'd play Tetris on it but I'd have to animate it page by page!

Rlan

Castle Conqueror looks pretty much like a knock off of Mushroom Wars on PSN, which I really enjoyed, so there's a chance that this /might/ be good?

Capndrake said:
And a USK update with two more VCA games:

Ahh, good to know that Capcom are supporting the US VC.

So when we see a decent Capcom VCA game come out in Japan, it should at least mean that we'll also get it eventually :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Penguin said:
There's no way to buy a Virtual Console code for a specific game is there?
Starwolf_UK said:
Only if you're in America and the games are Super Mario Bros 3, Metroid, Super Metroid or Sin and Punishment from store.nintendo.com

That's not strictly true...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...ame+code&ie=UTF8&qid=1284861972&rnid=11846801A small number of titles are available on Amazon as well - 13 in total, between VC and WiiWare.

(I THINK that's a proper Amazon link... if not, go to video games and do a search for ONLINE GAME CODE, then choose the Wii listings.)

1080 Snowboarding
Mario Kart 64
Metroid
Super Metroid
Paper Mario
Sin & Punishment
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World

Dr. Mario Online RX
Pokemon Rumble
Wario Ware DIY Showcase
World of Goo

Penguin

DavidDayton said:
That's not strictly true...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...ame+code&ie=UTF8&qid=1284861972&rnid=11846801A small number of titles are available on Amazon as well - 13 in total, between VC and WiiWare.

(I THINK that's a proper Amazon link... if not, go to video games and do a search for ONLINE GAME CODE, then choose the Wii listings.)

1080 Snowboarding
Mario Kart 64
Metroid
Super Metroid
Paper Mario
Sin & Punishment
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World

Dr. Mario Online RX
Pokemon Rumble
Wario Ware DIY Showcase
World of Goo

Oh thank you so much for that.
Saves me a bit of time... also curious if can use Amazon credit.

Volcynika

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: DISCOVER NEW WAYS TO RUN, THROW, KICK AND COUNT DOWN ON NINTENDO SYSTEMS

Sept. 20, 2010

This week's new game downloads for Wii™ and Nintendo DSi™ systems will test players' mettle in a lively mix of activities. For the WiiWare™ service, Triple Throwing Sports can help hone your skills with Olympic-style projectiles, while The Very Hungry Caterpillar's ABCs challenges youngsters to grow their vocabulary. The Super NES™ classic AERO THE ACROBAT™ 2 makes its debut on the Virtual Console™ service, offering fun ways to boost your aerial acumen. For the Nintendo DSiWare™ service, Nintendo Countdown Calendar introduces a cool tool for helping to manage your busy schedule. You can also assess your need for speed with GO Series 10 Second Run or go for the goal in Everyday Soccer. Ready? Set? Download!

WiiWare

Triple Throwing Sports
Publisher: The Code Monkeys Ltd.
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 500 Wii Points™

Description: Triple Throwing Sports is the most advanced recreational throwing game available for the WiiWare service, immersing players in the world of competitive projectile throwing. Most Olympic events consist of activities that are traditionally derived from hunting and combat skills. Over time these practices have evolved into a variety of competitive sports that include Javelin, Discus, Shot Put and Hammer. As with real-life throwing events, you will have full control over the aim of the projectile. You must also take into account the angle, release point and power - all of these factors can influence the success of your throw.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar's ABCs
Publisher: CYBIRD Co., Ltd.
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: EC (Early Childhood)
Price: 800 Wii Points

Description: The Very Hungry Caterpillar's ABCs is an educational game based on the children's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar. It allows parents to help children learn basic English while enjoying a game together. The game consists of four parts, including alphabet flash cards featuring colored letters and pictures by Eric Carle, plus a vocabulary quiz for preschool-aged children that includes numbers, colors, shapes, animal names and simple verbs and adjectives. Young players can also engage in fun activities such as erasing parts of a colored screen to reveal a hidden illustration, or placing a variety of animal stamps on the screen. Finally, parents can use the "To The Parents" option to check their children's progress in remembering vocabulary words. Your whole family is sure to appreciate the colorful illustrations by Eric Carle, internationally renowned as a creator of beautifully illustrated and innovatively designed picture books for children.

Virtual Console

AERO THE ACROBAT™ 2
Original platform: Super NES
Publisher: Sunsoft
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points

Description: The aerialist extreme, Aero the Acro-Bat, bounds back into the spotlight once again to stop the wicked industrialist, Edgar Ektor! Aero has entered a new realm of enchantment and must now use all of his acrobatic prowess to foil a criminal plot known only as "Plan B." Join Aero as he discovers new friends - and enemies - in a world custom-built for his high-flying adventures. There are 45 levels of acrobatic fun, including Bonus Rounds, Chance Stages and Hidden Chambers. Discover new villains and original digitized character voices. A password feature allows you to return to any level. The Chillin' Snow Boarding Stage adds a new twist to Aero's style, and you'll find new moves and fighting techniques for Aero's attacks.

Nintendo DSiWare

Nintendo Countdown Calendar
Publisher: Nintendo
ESRB Rating: Not Rated
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points™

Description: With Nintendo Countdown Calendar, you can add and track all of your important events in a fun and exciting countdown format. Simply set up your personal profile and then start entering events. Adding events is easy: Choose a date for the event, decide whether it will be an open event (which you name yourself) or a set event (chosen from the School, Work or General Events categories), and select an icon from the wide variety of available options. If necessary, you can set the recurrence of the event or even move the event to the Hidden Events List. From there, the calendar does the rest - just watch the days count down! On subsequent visits to the application, you may see special greetings or suggested seasonal events you can choose to add to your calendar. All events added to the calendar are displayed chronologically, so you can quickly view all of your upcoming events in one place.

GO Series 10 Second Run
Publisher: Gamebridge
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points

Description: Run like the wind in this unique twist on the classic platform game. Take control of a stick man and run for your life across an obstacle course to reach the goal within 10 seconds. Dash across platforms and avoid various hazards, desperately trying to reach the exit in time. Ten seconds is all you've got. Go flat out over 50 stages and three game modes. Do you have what it takes to reach the finish line?

Everyday Soccer
Publisher: Aksys Games
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points

Description: Play soccer against teams from all over the world. Customize your characters to be normally sized, small, tall or muscular. You can also customize their shirts, shorts and shoes. Take advantage of your players' specific traits as dictated by their body types. Assembling a well-balanced team is the key to becoming world champions. There are many teams to play against, so keep your mind sharp and your kicking foot sharper. Play against friends via DS Download Play and find out who's the true soccer champion!

Nothing for me this week, but the VC releases are getting a little bit more frequent (2 week wait as opposed to 3 weeks recently) so that's good at least.

Still not good enough though NOA!

Jazzem

Damn, the Nintendo download services have stunk lately haven't they? :/

I can confirm 10 Second Run is pretty awesome though, not ground-breaking or anything but worth a go if you have a spare 200 points.

iamaustrian said:
Spinmaster is a Neogeo game for Virtual Console and not VCA.

"Black Wolf" is correctly called "Black Tiger" and is indeed one of the best capcom arcade games.

can't wait for Ghostn Goblins.

Oh I was just going by the article, I've never actually heard of either of those games :lol

Black Tiger looks pretty awesome actually! Very Ghouls N' Ghosts esc! :D

Also, is Monster Hunter based on Black Tiger? I noticed in that video that they use the same currency - "Zenny"

BooJoh

I'll probably grab 10 Second Run with the 200 points sitting on my account. Calendar seems kinda useless if not integrated into the firmware, but I could see maybe using it to keep track of upcoming game releases or something.
Nuclear Muffin said:
Also, is Monster Hunter based on Black Tiger? I noticed in that video that they use the same currency - "Zenny"
The Breath of Fire series uses Zenny too, I think it's just a Capcom thing.
http://www.giantbomb.com/zenny/92-2353/

Did any Euro gaffers pick up Robox? It looks like a really damn good platformer with some Metroid style exploration/backtracking/using ability upgrades to access previously unreachable areas. Could provide Wii owners with the Metroid experience that Other M totally failed to deliver.

Gilby

Just downloaded Rotozoa last night: Holy Monkeyballs! Why didn't anyone tell me this game was this amazing? This is easily the best take on snake/flow/whatever I've played. I wasn't huge on it at first, but by the time I finally beat 5X15 (after a ton of swearing at the tv until 3 a.m.) I completely adored this game.

nincompoop said:
Did any Euro gaffers pick up Robox? It looks like a really damn good platformer with some Metroid style exploration/backtracking/using ability upgrades to access previously unreachable areas. Could provide Wii owners with the Metroid experience that Other M totally failed to deliver.
Come on, there isn't a SINGLE European here who wants to try out an awesome-looking pure 2D platformer-Metroid hybrid? It would be nice to hear some impressions before it comes out in the US :/ Well, here's some footage of the first 10 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtb-gqly8fc

Wiiware's image problem must be worse than I thought. It just doesn't make sense to me why the embarassingly bad Steam game Blade Kitten has a 4 page official thread, yet when an interesting-looking Wiiware game comes out people just put their hands over their ears and pretend it doesn't exist :/

DaBuddaDa

I don't post in these threads ever, so sorry if this topic has been beaten to death already, but is Final Fantasy VI ever going to come out on the VC in the US? We have FF4 but not 6, and it haunts me every time I load up my Wii :(

nincompoop said:
Come on, there isn't a SINGLE European here who wants to try out an awesome-looking pure 2D platformer-Metroid hybrid? It would be nice to hear some impressions before it comes out in the US :/ Well, here's some footage of the first 10 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtb-gqly8fc

Wiiware's image problem must be worse than I thought. It just doesn't make sense to me why the embarassingly bad Steam game Blade Kitten has a 4 page official thread, yet when an interesting-looking Wiiware game comes out people just put their hands over their ears and pretend it doesn't exist :/

Look at the above poster. That's why. People seem to be equating Nintendo's downloadable stuff with the Virtual Console. People would complain for weeks about VC, and when the big game they wanted came out, they went to the next on its list.

WiiWare to many is an aside. They view it as "just more slop for the Wii," and ignore any game that does not seem at all hyped. Even when I posted a topic which showed over an hour of La-Mulana footage, a game that had gotten a bit of attention when first announced, it got barely any real discussion. Even And Yet it Moves had little fanfare when brought over to WiiWare, even though it is arguably better than the PC version.

It's just that when Nintendo had NOTHING for WiiWare at E3, that was sort of the moment it was decided that WiiWare wasn't big this year for them, or at all. Yes, Nicalis has stuff coming, but after Cave Story, there is concern. And with big games coming onto XBLA and a number of WiiWare games getting sent to other locales (Bit.Trip to iOS and PC, NyxQuest to PC, etc), people just ignore it, despite the quality of what could be coming out.

In short: DRM issues + XBLA trouncing it quality-wise + Lack of Nintendo support + Virtual Console bitching = No WiiWare interest for most.

Volcynika

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: LAWN DARTS FOR THE LIVING ROOM, HIGH-ENERGY PUZZLES AND RPG FUN AWAIT YOU

Sept. 27, 2010

Sometimes big fun unfolds in unexpected places. For proof, try your hand at the latest downloadable games for Nintendo systems. ZENONIA® and FIZZ for the Nintendo DSiWare™ service invite you to experience rich RPG action or eye-popping puzzles in even the most ordinary locations, from the bus stop to the coffee shop. New for the WiiWare™ service, Target Toss Pro: Lawn Darts turns your living room into a virtual backyard where you can enjoy heated competition with up to 15 of your closest friends. In other words: It's not where you are, it's what you're playing.

Nintendo DSiWare

ZENONIA
Publisher: GAMEVIL USA, Inc.
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™

Description: Classic RPG action returns with ZENONIA. Get ready for the endless journey of Regret, who is on a mission to find the reason for the death of his father at the hands of a demon. He begins his quest by choosing one of three classes: Paladin, Warrior or Assassin. Players can equip and customize using hundreds of different types of weapons and armor. There are tons of items to refine or combine from five different item classes: normal, magic, rare, unique and epic. There are even more astonishing features such as full skill trees which you can level up, along with stunning visuals and sound effects. ZENONIA offers extensive playtime with numerous main and side quests, plus good and evil storylines to choose from. Anime-style graphics and innovative real-life systems such as a day/night cycle and hunger/weight system make ZENONIA a unique gaming experience for everybody.

FIZZ
Publisher: DK-GAMES
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points

Description: Welcome to FIZZ, the explosive puzzle game. In FIZZ, you earn points by creating rings of energy. To do that, you must align identical colors and create links between the different nodes. The bigger your rings, the more points you earn. There will be outside events that get in your way, such as asteroids, meteorite showers and aliens who'll try to break your nodes. Magnetic storms and pulsars will change colors, and magnetic spheres will prevent you from using the nodes in the surrounding area. Exceedingly simple to understand but challenging to master, FIZZ is an inventive puzzle challenge that will have gamers on the edge of their seats.

WiiWare

Target Toss Pro: Lawn Darts
Publisher: Incredible Technologies
Players: 1-16
Price: 700 Wii Points™

Description: Target Toss Pro: Lawn Darts is a new video game based on one of the nation's most infamous backyard games. There are four types of flying-dart action to choose from: Classic Lawn Darts, 501, Cricket and Poker Darts. Each game has a unique scoring method and strategy to keep players entertained for hours. Classic Lawn Darts involves throwing three darts at two circles with an escalating Red Dot Bonus bull's-eye in the center. 501 is similar to the classic pub darts game of the same name; throw three darts at a dartboard during eight rounds of play until all 501 points - and not one point more - are cleared. Cricket is another classic pub darts game of three tosses per round, challenging players to close out the bull's eye and the numbers 15 through 20 before their opponent. Poker Darts involves launching five darts at a deck of 52 playing cards while attempting to get the best poker hand and highest scores over three hands.

Astro Bugz Revenge
Publisher: Sudden Games
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 700 Wii Points

Description: Astro Bugz Revenge is an action-puzzle game with a retro vibe. Protect our solar system from astro bugz and blast them by matching three or more bugz. Pick up valuable power-ups and activate them to annihilate the incoming invaders. Flip to the other side in Revenge mode and play as the bugz. Test your skills against your friends by playing in Co-Op or Versus mode. This action-packed game will surely keep you challenged.

Top Bottom