• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2010

If the Mario Collection comes out over here, I don't see it being a VC release. The reason it's a retail release in Japan is because they don't want it directly competing with the VC releases of the indivdual games.

I'm glad there's a Mario Party game on the way, but I'm incredibly disappointed that we're not getting Mario Party 1. The sticks on the Gamecube and Classic controllers are a million times better than the N64, and even if you place your palm on them and rotate that way, it doesn't hurt at all (I just tried both now).

I don't see why they'd start with 2 if they had any intention of releasing 1 at all, so I can't believe we're going to miss out on the original and one of the best Mario Party games (possibly *the* best) for such a stupid reason.

Somnid

SuperAndroid17 said:
sigh...

Can someone tell me why MARIO PARTY still hasn't hit VC?

Stick spinning leads to blisters and lawsuits. Not a great candidate, would require re-working.

not from this week, but after looking at those Fast screens again, I ended up picking up Jett Rocket. Pretty fun so far, and looks fantastic. Technical wizardry.

thomaser

nincompoop said:
Come on, there isn't a SINGLE European here who wants to try out an awesome-looking pure 2D platformer-Metroid hybrid? It would be nice to hear some impressions before it comes out in the US :/ Well, here's some footage of the first 10 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtb-gqly8fc

Well, I've played it for a few hours now, and reached the second "world". The first world is segmented into six stages, but they are connected in various ways, and you can teleport between them so you can go back and get things you couldn't reach before. I like it, but I also hate it with a furious passion. To get the bad things away first:

- You walk very, very slowly. And when you control the little robots inside the main robot, they control infuriatingly, insultingly slowly. It shouldn't take ten or fifteen seconds to walk across the screen. I REALLY hope I'll unlock a speed booster soon. I expect to.
- You can only shoot straight ahead. Lots of games do that, but:
- Remember the eagles in Ninja Warrior for the NES? Were they irritating? Yes? Well, Robox has the fly, and the fly in Robox is the single most infuriating flying enemy ever. It swoops in on you in random ways that are very hard to predict, and since you have only three hit-points (at least early in the game), one fly can easily kill you. Over and over and over again. Then there are the places where you have to jump on tiny branches while dodging flies. You'll fall down a lot. And there's the miniboss-fight where you face 20-30 flies. And they take three shots to kill.
- Some places have forced scrolling. They are an ok change of pace, but they are also way too long. The first also involves lots of enemies that fall down on you, and since you move slooowly, you can barely escape them. At least until several start to fall at once, so you have to find the opening between them and hope you can plod there in time. Which you can only do if you have reached that far before, seen the opening, and gotten killed because you couldn't reach the safe spot in time.
- Did I mention falling enemies? In the boss-fight, I had to restart several times because an enemy randomly fell directly on top of me right out of the sky, and I had no chance to dodge it. The boss is hard, so you need all those three hit-points, and suddenly appearing, non-dodgeable enemies are not acceptable in that situation.
- Leaps of faith. You actually have to make leaps of faith. Sometimes to move on, other times to get treasure ("amber", which gives you another tiny robot to fix your insides with). Many of the stages have many vertical passages, and you cannot look up or down, so you just have to jump and hope you land somewhere.
- Hazards that blend into the background. This is mostly a problem in the first world. There are red, prickly bushes that damage you. Problem is, there's a lot of vegetation around, and it can be difficult to spot those red bushes before it's too late. I've run into them time and time again.

Well, that was a lot of bad things. I hope I become quicker and get more firepower soon, so I can at least kill those flies with one shot. The game is full of sloppy design that only makes it irritating. I'm a patient player, but I was pretty close to losing my cool with this, and I've only played through the first world! But at the same time, it's fun and interesting, and challenging in a kind of old-school way you don't see much nowadays. The urge to try just one more time is very strong. It reminds me a lot of old 16-bit games, actually. It does not remind me of the Metroid-games, though. Not at all, except for the "get stronger as you go" aspect, which is in most games anyway.

The only feedback on Zenoina back in the iPhone thread was "meh" - I take it that no one even bothered with the DSi version because of the high price?

OnPoint said:
Drat.

Also, impressively quick reply.
Does the DSi have the system-level friendcodes the Wii uses for gifting?

Top Bottom