• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2010

Volcynika

Stumpokapow said:
zenonia on app store: $2.99
zenonia 2 on app store: $4.99
zenonia on dsiware: $8.00

*shakes head*

Wow that's quite the price increase.

Nothing for me this week though, but at least we get Shantae soon.

Volcynika said:
Wow that's quite the price increase.

Nothing for me this week though, but at least we get Shantae soon.

Shantae will be 1200 Points (most expensive DSi Ware game?) BUT this will be the full game, no episodes. And I guess it will deliver more content than other DSiWare games. Retail would be more expensive.

Lijik

Stumpokapow said:

*shakes head*

That price wouldn't be so bad if it was both games at once, but it doesn't sound that way from the description at all.

Rlan

Zenonia has, supposedly, "40 hours of gameplay". Even at a quarter of that it's likely worth your $8. Converting it to DS would not have been very easy either :p

BooJoh

Ridiculous pricing aside, I just looked up some reviews for Zenonia and it doesn't look bad. Gave me vibes of an SNES ARPG peppered with some MMO-type features (day/night, quests.)

Seems like to a lot of people in these threads, unrecognized games = BAD WEEK.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I remember when I used to check this thread on Mondays and say, "Oh neat! A game I want!"

Ah, halcyon days.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BooJoh said:
Seems like to a lot of people in these threads, unrecognized games = BAD WEEK.

A lot of people are like that, but I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be excited about a port of a game I already own that costs 3 times as much as what I paid for it the first time :p

BooJoh

Stumpokapow said:
A lot of people are like that, but I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be excited about a port of a game I already own that costs 3 times as much as what I paid for it the first time :p
Hey, I'm not thrilled that DSi owners are expected to pay 2-8 times more for iPhone ports, especially since I don't have an iPhone or Android, but I can't help but notice that even when very playable, or even *gasp* good games come out, the first few posts are still along the lines of "boring week" or "WHERE'S X VC GAME THAT I WANT?"

Granted, Nintendo could help alleviate that with better previews or demos, but still. If people only ever played games they were familiar with, the industry would be long dead.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BooJoh said:
Hey, I'm not thrilled that DSi owners are expected to pay 2-8 times more for iPhone ports, especially since I don't have an iPhone or Android, but I can't help but notice that even when very playable, or even *gasp* good games come out, the first few posts are still along the lines of "boring week" or "WHERE'S X VC GAME THAT I WANT?"

Oh absolutely, and there's definitely been weeks where this happened. I know when Crash n the Boys Street Challenge came out on VC, a bunch of people yelled "LOL BULLSHIT SHIT VC GAME WEEK" or whatever, even though that's actually a great game that they just didn't know about.

Granted, Nintendo could help alleviate that with better previews or demos, but still. If people only ever played games they were familiar with, the industry would be long dead.

I do notice that in the PSN and XBLA threads, no one says it's a shit week unless it well and truly is. People seem much more willing to check out unknown games. Probably because of demos and previews and high quality screenshots and trailer videos and PS.blog and Major Nelson and having advance warning for release dates and...

xSL4INx

Stumpokapow said:
Oh absolutely, and there's definitely been weeks where this happened. I know when Crash n the Boys Street Challenge came out on VC, a bunch of people yelled "LOL BULLSHIT SHIT VC GAME WEEK" or whatever, even though that's actually a great game that they just didn't know about.

I do notice that in the PSN and XBLA threads, no one says it's a shit week unless it well and truly is. People seem much more willing to check out unknown games. Probably because of demos and previews and high quality screenshots and trailer videos and PS.blog and Major Nelson and having advance warning for release dates and...

PSN hasn't really had a good week in a really long time, sony's received its fair share of hate for not having many releases up to snuff too. Although I do agree that nintendo seems to have left the download services high and dry. The consolation is that Shantae finally comes out next month, but unfortunately at the price of 1200 points? :(

That aside is Zenonia worth picking up? I've got an iPhone, but I don't really care for playing games on it, and I've got over 8000 unused Nintendo points, and play my DSi far more than any other console I own.

Lijik

Shantae is supposed to be a meaty game that looks polished so I don't have problems paying twelve dollars for it. Granted, I would have also payed twelve bucks for X-Scape or Jett Rocket if they were priced that way so take that as you will.

TheUnknownForce said:
Look at the above poster. That's why. People seem to be equating Nintendo's downloadable stuff with the Virtual Console. People would complain for weeks about VC, and when the big game they wanted came out, they went to the next on its list.

WiiWare to many is an aside. They view it as "just more slop for the Wii," and ignore any game that does not seem at all hyped. Even when I posted a topic which showed over an hour of La-Mulana footage, a game that had gotten a bit of attention when first announced, it got barely any real discussion. Even And Yet it Moves had little fanfare when brought over to WiiWare, even though it is arguably better than the PC version.
Yeah, when And Yet It Moves came out, it was supposed to be the big release of the week, and yet everyone got hyped about Ufouria, which was the only download that week to get an official thread, which even made it to multiple pages.

Volcynika

cooljeanius said:
Yeah, when And Yet It Moves came out, it was supposed to be the big release of the week, and yet everyone got hyped about Ufouria, which was the only download that week to get an official thread, which even made it to multiple pages.

Well one of the people behind getting the title brought over posted that thread (which is fine, the imports and such don't make an appearance much here on VC and all that), and the game itself had never been released in the region (as far as I know). And Yet It Moves had been seen before on PC and while its interface was tailored to the Wii controls, people had already played it and/or made their minds up about it via the PC or PC demo.

GeekyDad

Stumpokapow said:

*shakes head*

That's just sad. Honestly, though, it looks like a cool, little game, and hey, an RPG for $8...

ksamedi

Stumpokapow said:

Assuming you're talking about Zenonia I really couldn't get used to the controls. Touch screen buttons is just not for me. I will probably check it out on DSiware though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Stumpokapow said:

*shakes head*

D-pad controls - priceless.

Still it shoud have been 500points.

BooJoh

Thanks to the pricing structure on points it looks like I'll have to spend $20 to get Shantae anyway if it's 1200, leaving me with 800 points leftover, so I'll probably grab Zenonia at some point. The only complaint I heard on the few reviews I checked out was that the virtual buttons were annoying, so the game's biggest flaw should be fixed on DSi.

My biggest concern is what I'll have to move to SD to make them fit.

Futureman

The Main Event said:
Why bother with VC/WiiWare/DSiware anymore :(

In all seriousness, if VC/WiiWare/DSiWare were lighitng up the sales charts, we'd probably see way more releases.

The meager and painfully slow release schedule is probalby indicative of poor sales.

Somnid

Futureman said:
In all seriousness, if VC/WiiWare/DSiWare were lighitng up the sales charts, we'd probably see way more releases.

The meager and painfully slow release schedule is probalby indicative of poor sales.

Wouldn't by this logic XBLA and PSN be dying as well?

bon

As soon as Shantae comes out, you guys have no right to complain about DSiWare ever again.

EVER AGAIN.

Somnid said:
Wouldn't by this logic XBLA and PSN be dying as well?
Yep, I was surprised when I saw recently that Wiiware has had more games released for it overall than XBLA has for the 360 even though Wiiware's only been around about half as long. The main problem is that Nintendo lets far too much crap on the service, which combined with the lack of exposure for almost every game and the lack of demos causes most people to just ignore the service entirely rather than try to figure out based on the limited information available which games are the ones that are worth trying out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Very curious about Robox. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a US release.
Also, Zenonia might just be worth the premium price if the controls and menu navigation are fixed. They were (IMHO) game-breakingly awful on the iPhone.

I'll probably pick up Zenonia at some point. I was fiddling with Zenonia 2 on the iPhone, but felt a bit guilty that I couldn't stomach the controls in the first game enough to play through that first. This version might just do the trick.

sfog

nincompoop said:
Yep, I was surprised when I saw recently that Wiiware has had more games released for it overall than XBLA has for the 360 even though Wiiware's only been around about half as long.

WiiWare is up to 254 US releases as of now (including Doc Louis and Ultra Hand), although XBLA has about 315 current titles per the Wikipedia list. The US VC is up to 363 titles.

Mejilan said:
Very curious about Robox. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a US release.

It was ESRB rated a little while ago, so it should show up eventually.

Somnid

nincompoop said:
Yep, I was surprised when I saw recently that Wiiware has had more games released for it overall than XBLA has for the 360 even though Wiiware's only been around about half as long. The main problem is that Nintendo lets far too much crap on the service, which combined with the lack of exposure for almost every game and the lack of demos causes most people to just ignore the service entirely rather than try to figure out based on the limited information available which games are the ones that are worth trying out.

XBLA changed a lot. Now it's pretty much ports of known usually high-profile games and a smattering of relatively high budget download exclusives. Microsoft has really culled it into an elite club, refusing smaller development and money-hatting exclusives. PSN is pretty similar. WiiWare and DSiWare are still very much indie focused with no real approval process. It's about small companies making small, low budget games. It makes sense that a lot of it might be crap or shovelware but the point is to be more of an outlet for smaller development and not the production that XBLA has become. The closest analogs are perhaps Xbox Indies and MiniS which I seriously doubt are tearing up the sales charts and are equally cluttered.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Robox's general art style and music (from what I've seen and heard so far) are pretty damn nice, but the lame main character design and cheap flash game animation do it no favors.

http://www.fast.shinen.com/

Switch the phase - Win the Race

To get a massive boost just match the phase of your racing machine with the phase of the track's features. Drive upside down, jump over giant gaps, overtake your opponents.
But keep in mind: Match your phase!

screen01.jpg

screen02.jpg

screen03.jpg

screen04.jpg

screen05.jpg

screen06.jpg

Linkup

gameplay_ship.png

Environments and vehicles are ace, the name and writing on the website is not. Soundtrack will no doubt be awesome. This kind of stuff always surprises me when it comes to wiiware.

Capndrake

NoE sent out a release schedule for Q4, and it includes some VC, WiiWare and DSiWare:

VC:
-Street Hoop (October, Neo Geo, D4 Enterprise)
-Faxanadu (November, NES, Hudson Soft)
-Mario Party 2 (December, N64, Nintendo)
-Super Bonk (December, SNES, Hudson Soft)

WiiWare:
-Thruspace: High Velocity 3D Puzzle (15 October, Nintendo)
-BIT.TRIP FATE (October, Aksys Games)
-My Starry Night (October, Hudson Soft)
-Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1 (October, Sega)
-Puzzle Agent (November, Telltale Games)
-My Little Baby (November, dtp young entertainment)
-FAST Racing League (December, Shin'en Multimedia)
-Hydroventure (December, Nintendo)
-Ben 10: Alien Force (Q4, Konami)
-Cave Story (Q4, Nicalis)

DSiWare:
-Aura-Aura Climber (1 October, Nintendo)
-GO Series: Pinball Attack! (15 October, Gamebridge)
-Music On: Playing Piano (15 October, Abylight)
-Let's Swing! (October, Gamebridge)
-Mahjong (October, dtp young entertainment)
-Sleep Clock: Record and analyse your sleep patterns (29 October, Nintendo)
-Just Sing! Christmas Vol. 2 (November, dtp young entertainment)
-GO Series: Fatal Blow (November, Gamebridge)
-Music On: Drums (November, Abylight)
-Music On: Electric Guitar (December, Abylight)
-GO Series: Dark Spirits (December, Gamebridge)
-GO Series: D-Tank (December, Gamebridge)
-Spin Six (Q4, Nintendo)
-Nintendo Countdown Calendar (Q4, Nintendo)
-Frenzic (Q4, Two Tribes)
-Divergent Shift (Q4, Konami)
-Frogger Returns (Q4, Konami)
-Bejeweled Twist (Q4, PopCap Games)

Mario Party 2 (December, N64, Nintendo)

OMG OMG OMG Mario Party!!!

Why not start with 1 though? Mind you though it's not exactly the first time Nintendo have released games out of order (in fact, the only series they have actually released in order are Metroid, DKC and Adventures of Lolo!)

Capndrake

Nuclear Muffin said:
OMG OMG OMG Mario Party!!!

Why not start with 1 though? Mind you though it's not exactly the first time Nintendo have released games out of order (in fact, the only series they have actually released in order are Metroid, DKC and Adventures of Lolo!)
Because of this, most likely.

Capndrake

Nuclear Muffin said:
That wouldn't be a problem with the GCN/CC analog stick. Besides, Mario 64 does the same thing and that's already on the VC!
Have you played the original Mario Party? If you want to beat the rotation minigames against the highest difficulty AI players, your hands will feel the pain for days to come. I speak from experience ;_;

Capndrake said:
Have you played the original Mario Party? If you want to beat the rotation minigames against the highest difficulty AI players, your hands will feel the pain for days to come. I speak from experience ;_;

That's on the N64 controller though. The CC and GCN controllers use different (and MUCH BETTER) analog sticks that don't kill your hands and don't break incredibly easily (why the hell do you think I want it so badly on the VC? :lol Pedal Power is a killer of analog sticks and I'm not stupid enough to use my palm and break that too :lol)

I see no reason why Nintendo won't eventually release it. The sticks are no longer a problem and a simple disclaimer can be placed on the store or in the instruction manual, simple!

Capndrake said:
NoE sent out a release schedule for Q4, and it includes some VC, WiiWare and DSiWare:

VC:
-Street Hoop (October, Neo Geo, D4 Enterprise)
-Faxanadu (November, NES, Hudson Soft)
-Mario Party 2 (December, N64, Nintendo)
-Super Bonk (December, SNES, Hudson Soft)

There will only be four VC games from now until December 31st? Wow. Plus, three of the four titles are Hudson Soft games!

Capndrake

Mockingbird said:
There will only be four VC games from now until December 31st? Wow. Plus, three of the four titles are Hudson Soft games!
Not necessarily, this might just be a partial list. Some Capcom arcade games got rated recently, I imagine one or two of those will be coming out this year as well.

m.i.s.

Banned
When is the 25th Super Mario anniversary in the US / EU?

What are the chances of the Super Mario Collection being released on the VC at or around that time?

M.I.S. said:
When is the 25th Super Mario anniversary in the US / EU?

What are the chances of the Super Mario Collection being released on the VC at or around that time?

Should be around now and I reckon that there's a decent chance of All Stars getting a VC release instead of retail, but probably not until November/December I'm guessing (that's of course assuming that it'll happen)

Mafro

Pathetic. My interest in this game has pretty much gone thanks to the massive delay. A six-month plus delay for a digitally downloadable game is just ridiculous in this day and age.

FAST looks really good, but I'm guessing it'll have no online multiplayer?

was cave story confirmed for dsiware already? Did not know about this so far and I think I'll buy it there instead.

Retro City Rampage on DSi would be great as well.

Top Bottom