• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you Apple guys had an eye for design? How does some of the stuff in iOS not make you cringe with it's utter blandness?

Windows 8 Lockscreen:

Ice Cream Sandwich Lockscreen:

iPad Lockscreen:

indeed, every lockscreen looks better than Apple's. an issue too long in remedying, IMO. People shouldn't have to jail-break their iPads to get a decent lock screen.

Pachimari

ZYRuCl.png

One of the remaining mysteries ahead of the iPad 3 launch next week are the prices and configurations. If you don’t like surprises we have good news.

There was a rumor last week that gained traction which indicated that the US prices would increase by $70-$80. That doesn’t appear to be the case.

We’ve gotten word that iPad pricing is going to be the same across the board as the current iPad 2 models which should be no big surprise given Apple’s history – they rarely raise prices. Even better, some countries with currencies doing better than the US dollar should expect to see marginal drops in prices.

While we’re squashing, the configurations appear to be the same as current 16/32/64GB. One of the strange succession of posts from Digitimes this week said that Apple would move to 8GB/16GB/32GB. That appears even less likely than before, if that is possible.

Update: This has no bearing on LTE one way or another.

9to5Mac.com

Garbaga

Banned
indeed, every lockscreen looks better than Apple's. an issue too long in remedying, IMO. People shouldn't have to jail-break their iPads to get a decent lock screen.

Exactly, and it's not just the lock-screen either; it's the whole OS.

Whatever though, I gotta get to sleep and only Apple can solve this argument anyways. If they do revamp iOS, I'm sure the exact same people arguing with me in this thread will be calling it revolutionary and saying how needed it was.

;)

Friend

Whatever though, I gotta get to sleep and only Apple can solve this argument anyways. If they do revamp iOS, I'm sure the exact same people arguing with me in this thread will be calling it revolutionary and saying how needed it was.

;)

either garbaga a master troll fishing for responses or he's a just a hater desperately flailing in the tide of Apple's success.

At any rate, I am completely fine with iOs and its consistency in design. Do you also hate on windows for keeping essentially the same general interface its had for the past 15 years? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Garbaga

Banned
Disagree.

As someone into the modern minimalist look, I prefer the look of iOS.
LOL

Really? Modern minimalism is what you see in iOS? I think Windows 8/Windows Phone covers that.

@Friend: I despise Windows, but I'm stuck with it because Apple refuses to make decently priced capable Macs.

NOW SLEEP

Yoshiya

I like a lot of what iOS strives for - clean, minimalist, butter smooth - but stuff like the iPad lockscreen is completely ridiculous. Now that iPad is well established as an independent platform more device-specific UI can be introduced into iOS.

Bgamer90

Banned
LOL

Really? Modern minimalism is what you see in iOS? I think Windows 8/Windows Phone covers that.

Heh, don't see how me saying that is funny.

And Windows Phone also follows the same style but I'm not a fan of the unnecessary large text and overall layout of the OS. It looks nice but when it comes to practical use it's a bit annoying IMO.

Garbaga

Banned
Heh, don't see how me saying that is funny.

And Windows Phone also follows the same style but I'm not a fan of the unnecessary large text and overall layout of the OS. It looks nice but when it comes to practical use it's a bit annoying IMO.

ICS also follows the same style without all the shitty skeumorphic paradigms -- personally, I don't believe skeumorphic digital design is either modern or minimalistic.

Al-ibn Kermit

This is the problem with starting an announcement thread a week before the announcement. After a few days, people are bitching about how minimalist is minimalist.

Bgamer90

Banned
ICS also follows the same style without all the shitty skeumorphic paradigms -- personally, I don't believe skeumorphic digital design is either modern or minimalistic.

In my opinion, part of iOS being so simple to use is due to it's clean, easy to look at UI.

It's few skuemorphic designs are still easy and nice to look at since they still follow the overall main look of iOS (which I again find to be clean and nice).

Blackhead

Redarse
What made you switch back to the iPhone?
Battery life and certain apps and jailbreak tweaks that just aren't available on ICS or WP7.5. I'm regretting the decision though :|

Sidenote: During recent years I've gotten into arguments with Apple fanboys on this forum who have claimed that
  • copy&paste isn't really needed in the iPhone OS
  • multitasking isn't needed in the iPhone OS
  • a decent notifications system isn't needed in iOS
  • a homescreen revamp isn't needed in iOS
*shrug* some people are really happy to accept whatever decisions Apple makes for them at any point in time

;)

You made a sweeping generalization about Apple/iOS users, and came off as completely dogmatic, yet you want people in this thread to take you seriously?

Preferring one OS or device over another doesn't automatically invalidate a different design philosophy...

Bgamer90

Banned
Battery life and certain apps and jailbreak tweaks that just aren't available on ICS or WP7.5. I'm regretting the decision though :|

Sidenote: During recent years I've gotten into arguments with Apple fanboys on this forum who have claimed that

• [*]copy&paste isn't really needed in the iPhone OS
    [*]multitasking isn't needed in the iPhone OS
    [*]a decent notifications system isn't needed in iOS
*shrug* some people are really happy to accept whatever decisions Apple makes for them at any point in time

Fanboys will be fanboys.

I never felt the bolded. I always felt that those things would help improve iOS especially a new system for notifications.

In terms of the home screen though, I like the way it currently is and I don't feel that it needs to be revamped.

The lock screen could definitely be better though.

Garbaga

Banned

Ahh, okay.

and yeah, I plain just don't get these guys sometimes.

@Bgamer: what do you think of the pop-up banners, game center and notification center for iPad?

Bgamer90

Banned
@Bgamer: what do you think of the pop-up banners, game center and notification center for iPad?

I like the way they look, but I feel they look much better on the iPhone than the iPad. For lack of a better way for me to put it, the designs perfectly fit the screen of the iPhone where as with the iPad, there's a whole lot of space left over and therefore on the iPad some things look a bit too plain or just not as good as they could look if they used the bigger screen size more effectively.

Overall though (like I said before) I like the look of iOS on the iPad.

Can someone explain the connections here? Why are there five connections relating to the panel? Two for the 'digitizer'... two for the 'LCD'... one for the... 'display'... wat.

So I'm clutching at straws, but it seems like there's one too many connections there. So obviously one is for haptic tech right? ;)

Danneee

I hope it'll be 450€ for 16GB in Europe.

It will probably be the exact same price as the similarly sized iPad 2.

So whats the deal, is it going to be a quad core or a faster dual core?
So many conflicting reports

Whatever it is it should be at the very least powerful enough to run all the stuff that is out on the app store today in retina resolution. That is really all people should care about.
So minimum 4x more powerful than the iPad 2?

It would look nicer if the icons on iOS were bigger. Maybe not as big as Windows 8 but a little bigger. There just seems to be a lot of empty space on the iOS screens.

Widgets would be nice. I'm sure they'll do something along those lines in iOS6 or above.

ios43p.jpg

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
what kinds of widgets are we talking about here?

i've never seen the point of say, having the weather on the lock screen, for example

i mean if you're too lazy to look out the window there's probably something a bit wrong with you

i've never seen the point of say, having the weather on the lock screen, for example

i mean if you're too lazy to look out the window there's probably something a bit wrong with you

Looking out the window tells you the temperature?

I use an android phone and personally for me I don't use that many widgets but Weather, QuickToggles and Music controls are 3 extremely useful widgets. Widgets of some form in iOS would be good.

Hell the main reason I jailbroke my iPad was to get sbSettings back for Setting Toggles.

SeanR1221

Lol

err, it gives me a pretty good estimate, yes

ah yes, the fact that i think a weather widget is a waste of time means that i clearly do not think that iOS is in need of any, let alone major improvements

good show

You know I was kinda like you. Before I got an Android phone I didn't really see the point in Widgets. Then I started using them and seen how useful they actually can be for certain tasks.

Widgets make some things easier and more accessible. That can only be a good thing.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You know I was kinda like you. Before I got an Android phone I didn't really see the point in Widgets. Then I started using them and seen how useful they actually can be for certain tasks.

Widgets make some things easier and more accessible. That can only be a good thing.

what sorts of widgets are there?

what sorts of widgets are there?

Fairly sure there are widgets for almost any task. Wanna Tweet something, theres a widget for that. Facebook, Calender, Weather, Settings, Notes, Music, Stock, RSS Feeds. I could go on.

Now obviously every single one of these tasks can be done on iOS with Applications but what a Widget does is makes it instantly accessible to you. You don't have to load an application to send a Tweet. You don't have load the Weather app to see the Current Temperature and Forecast for the week. You don't have to load Notes to enter a new Note. You don't have to load Settings to Change Brightness, turn on/off wifi, change various volumes etc.

And of course if you don't like Widgets you don't have to use them at all. But having them there and available is a positive.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Fairly sure there are widgets for almost any task. Wanna Tweet something, theres a widget for that. Facebook, Calender, Weather, Settings, Notes, Music, Stock, RSS Feeds. I could go on.

Now obviously every single one of these tasks can be done on iOS with Applications but what a Widget does is makes it instantly accessible to you. You don't have to load an application to send a Tweet. You don't have load the Weather app to see the Current Temperature and Forecast for the week. You don't have to load Notes to enter a new Note. You don't have to load Settings to Change Brightness, turn on/off wifi, change various volumes etc.

And of course if you don't like Widgets you don't have to use them at all. But having them there and available is a positive.

yeah, some of these are cool

my only proper experience with widgets is the shit in os x and windows vista/7 which i don't think i've ever used

and seeing the weather every time my friend unlocks his android phone even when we're in the middle of the park and we can see that it's a sunny day in the high 20s

kinggroin

Banned

The difference between an android fanboy and an apple fan boy is that the former is never satisfied (which leads to a LOT of griping in relevant threads), while the latter is overly complacent (which leads to a LOT of defensiveness in relevant threads).

Of course, if you aren't a fanboy, the above doesn't apply.

The difference between an android fanboy and an apple fan boy is that the former is never satisfied (which leads to a LOT of griping in relevant threads), while the latter is overly complacent (which leads to a LOT of defensiveness in relevant threads).

Of course, if you aren't a fanboy, the above doesn't apply.
What if you just want a dope-looking phone that doesnt' annoy you or make you hate yourself when you try to do something :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom