• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1080p 60fps direct-feed of KIRBY AND THE RAINBOW CURSE -- dat clay-mation, dat music

Nintendo, man. They're like someone you're dating that you've been thinking about breaking up with because they just...they make stupid decisions, don't clean up the house, and every now and then they forget to flush the toilet.

Then they go and (hetero man example incoming) buy a sexy as fuck piece of lingerie, cook you your favorite dinner, surprise you with a new game and fuck your brains out. And it's not even your birthday.

Quite the analogy there.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo is on a roll isn't it, I'm so happy with their games right now. This Kirby is the sweetest candy, my girls will just love me when I bring that home.

javadoze

Nintendo, man. They're like someone you're dating that you've been thinking about breaking up with because they just...they make stupid decisions, don't clean up the house, and every now and then they forget to flush the toilet.

Then they go and (hetero man example incoming) buy a sexy as fuck piece of lingerie, cook you your favorite dinner, surprise you with a new game and fuck your brains out. And it's not even your birthday.

I spat out my coffee for how oddly accurate that analogy is.

StAidan

I really want to want this game. There's no way I could stand to play it if I have to look at the gamepad though. I'll have to wait for impressions to see how feasible it is to play while looking at the TV.

It shows $39 on Nintendo's site but most retailers shows $59. I wish Best Buy would update their price to $39 so I can get it pre-ordered with GCU.

Risarovi

Banned
It looks so cute. But I am not sure about the stylus control yet...

I have not played the DS' Kirby and I don't know...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

You should fix that. Canvas Curse is amazing.

This looks too good. Just a month away.

JoeM86

My concern with stylus control is that I'm going to end up looking at the GamePad screen and not at the pretty visuals on the TV

zychi

Banned
It looks great, but the whole "touch the screen and draw line" gimmick isn't for me. Didn't like it on the ds version of Kirby either

Jotthah

Anyone know if this game is lefty friendly aka do i need the left stick/dpad?

I love the little mold Kirby forms on the ground when he touches it. Such details always get me.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
People asking if it's lefty friend or if you have to use the analog: this is a stylus based game in its entirety. That is ALL you use. If you're a lefty like me you'll be just fine.

jlscool

It shows $39 on Nintendo's site but most retailers shows $59. I wish Best Buy would update their price to $39 so I can get it pre-ordered with GCU.

I also had the game pre-ordered from Gamestop and they were like it is $59.99 and I was like I thought it was only $39.99, so I cancelled my pre-order.

Now I just looked on the site and Gamestop has their price corrected to $39.99. Amazon still shows $59.99.

I will need to pre-order it again.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I like the look but I just wish it was a classic Kirby game. This gameplay looks like a mobile phone game to me.
This makes me sad. It's like the bad opinion of "3D world isn't a true 3D Mario game." Canvas curse is literally the best and most inventive Kirby game. If you haven't player it I'm sorry. If you can't deal with this innovative game I feel bad for you, son. miss out on it then. This is one of those games you just have to go crazy fanboy for. Just like I do for resi 4, uncharted 2, and Galaxy 2.

Ramenman

It breaks my heart because Canvas Curse is one of my most favoritest games ever, but I really really don't think this looks good. The difference in animation fluidity between different elements on screen is jarring (i know i know, "that claymation feel", but the end result simply isn't great imo), and most importantly I just don't find the end picture to be beautiful :/

I appreciate making a whole game out of clay, but I just don't like how it ended up looking. That first vid does nothing to me, the waterfalls are especially not good, and the uber-blur in the background is the worst thing ever.

Compared to Kirby Epic Yarn or Yoshi's Wooly World for example who instantly melt my heart, this one at best does nothing me, though I'm pretty sure the gameplay is awesome :/

Noogy

This game looks so amazing. It's a shame that you have to look down at that WiiU lo-res screen to actually play it. Defeats the purpose of all this fidelity.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This game looks so amazing. It's a shame that you have to look down at that WiiU lo-res screen to actually play it. Defeats the purpose of all this fidelity.
Games usually still look gorgeous on the smaller screen. Sonic All Star Racing was terrible so something bad can happen, but it's rare. Playing DK or Rayman on the GamePad is still a visual feast.

Lernaean

Banned

Not really. I'm sure you, and everyone who plays it, will get used to it without looking at the pad screen pretty fast.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I like the look but I just wish it was a classic Kirby game. This gameplay looks like a mobile phone game to me.

Can you please point me to a mobile game that looks and plays like this? I would really like to play such a game on my Nexus 6.

I also had the game pre-ordered from Gamestop and they were like it is $59.99 and I was like I thought it was only $39.99, so I cancelled my pre-order.

Now I just looked on the site and Gamestop has their price corrected to $39.99. Amazon still shows $59.99.

I will need to pre-order it again.

Yea, the MSRP is $39.99 according to Nintendo's site. I love how Nintendo isn't always locked into $60 for every single title.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/qi8ftely73yWnJvJMrcKNsnRpH1k2ax4

Gamestop and Wal Mart show it as $39 but the rest show $59 from what I've seen. I would prefer to get it from Best Buy with GCU it makes it $34. I'm also having trouble finding the Mario Party 10 version that comes with the Mario Amiibo. I don't see it available anywhere other than Newegg :(

The game looks gorgeous and I can't wait to start out the 2015 Wii U games with Kirby!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Can you please point me to a mobile game that looks and plays like this? I would really like to play such a game on my Nexus 6.

Looks has nothing to do with their comment. Given the nature of mobile games, it can't be that hard to find one where you draw the path characters take.

I'm also on the "I'd prefer a classic Kirby. . ." bandwagon. That doesn't mean this game looks like ass (people are so damn defensive about the WiiU). At that price point though, it might be worth a gander.

El Odio

Banned
So looking at how the goal game at the end of the stage allows you to unlock one of the pages in the collectibles menu I wonder if they're going to be randomized like the small keychains in Triple Deluxe or level specific like the larger ones. In the other video when they go through the book in the collectibles the pages they've unlocked are all over the place but look related to certain levels.

Noogy

Not really. I'm sure you, and everyone who plays it, will get used to it without looking at the pad screen pretty fast.

I'm really hoping so, since it looks gorgeous. Sadly the WiiU isn't like a Wacom, where you can hover the pen over the pad and it still detects position without registering pressure. Either way, it's a day one purchase.

Gotta say, this kind of deflated my hype, if I'm being honest. :/

I mean, I'm still gonna buy it and love it, but I adore playing these games co-op and it looks, to me, like the co-op isn't that good. The Waddle Dee character spent most of the video getting zapped around because he can't keep up with Kirby. I can't imagine playing as him being anything more than a frustration, because Waddle Dee doesn't seem to have any of the abilities necessary to keep up. He basically only looks useful when an enemy appears and otherwise can just stand around and enjoy getting teleported every time Kirby moves.

I hope that I'm wrong and that that was just a bad video. But as of now, I'm a little disappointed.

I really don't want to have to look at the GamePad to play this

Based muscle memory, don't fail me now

Exactly what I was thinking while watching the Wispy Woods video posted by Gamexplain. It's the only video I've watched outside of trailers and the art style and animation blew me away but then I realised I'll be viewing it on a small screen the whole time since it uses the touchscreen.

I think I'm definitely going to pick it up though just because of how charming it looks

He basically only looks useful when an enemy appears and otherwise can just stand around and enjoy getting teleported every time Kirby moves.

To be fair to the game, they stated in the comments of that video that it was just one person controlling both characters, so it probably works better with a full 2-people

The visuals are tripping me out. I really can't tell if I like them or not but there is something really compelling about the aesthetic.

Ridley327

The visuals are tripping me out. I really can't tell if I like them or not but there is something really compelling about the aesthetic.

Claymation-style art doesn't happen all that often these days. The last game that I can think of pulling it off and got some serious notice was The Swapper, but most people didn't even notice it was made in that same style (and quite literally, at that).

jmood88

I enjoyed the music until it got too repetitive but other than that, it didn't look like anything special. The claymation looks much worse than the yarn of the previous game and the gameplay looks boring.

Top Bottom