• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up: Skyward Sword's Secret Monkey Island 2 Musical Connection

Am bummed that 1up articles rarely get posted here. Anyhow, a fun little history lesson.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9091979

Man I needa replay monkey island 2... it's a shame that they couldn't recreate the Woodtick music for the remake.

People always bitch about prerecorded cutscenes, yet music in games for most part are 'static' as well. With how dynamic gameplay can get in games, why can't the music be as well? Probably not the most cost efficient decision and like how people reacted to my 'better sound system' thread, it's harder to sell people on sound, vs visuals. But when developers do try to make the soundtrack a bit 'more', it really sticks to ya.

Am bummed that 1up articles rarely get posted here. Anyhow, a fun little history lesson.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9091979

Man I needa replay monkey island 2... it's a shame that they couldn't recreate the Woodtick music for the remake.

People always bitch about prerecorded cutscenes, yet music in games for most part are 'static' as well. With how dynamic gameplay can get in games, why can't the music be as well? Probably not the most cost efficient decision and like how people reacted to my 'better sound system' thread, it's harder to sell people on sound, vs visuals. But when developers do try to make the soundtrack a bit 'more', it really sticks to ya.

A lot of games have "dynamic" music, though. Halo (I'm fairly certain at least) and Red Dead for two huge examples. The Skyward Sword Bazaar theme is cool too.

Maaaaan, MI2's music was so well handled.

A lot of games have "dynamic" music, though. Halo (I'm fairly certain at least) and Red Dead for two huge examples. The Skyward Sword Bazaar theme is cool too.

Maaaaan, MI2's music was so well handled.

indeed! But not enough games do =/

Heck most modern games don't have recognizable themes besides the usual orchestrated track. Ironically, ios seems to be bringing it back. Most good 99c games tend to have pretty rad music.

sfried

The first Monkey Island's intro music brings back such fond memories of 386 gaming...
I miss old PC gaming in general.

Sound cards, setup.exe, joysticks with throttle... non of this mouse & keyboard trash!

Anyways, special mention should also go to Factor5. Didn't the Rogue Squadron series pride itself with dynamic music?

Pyrrhus

Rare used dynamic music quite heavily in the N64 days too. It's hardly a unique thing, though it's cool. This article's just kind of reaching.

Rare used dynamic music quite heavily in the N64 days too. It's hardly a unique thing, though it's cool. This article's just kind of reaching.

many games do it, but I believe the point of the blog post is that the SS bazaar behaves in a similar fashion to how it was done in woodpick for MI2. So yeah, many games have 'dynamic' music, but most don't have more than 2 or so layers that can be changed based off player interactions.

The comments mentioned skies of arcadia, but I've never gotten far in that. Any other games that try to do this?

epmode

Yeah, IMUSE was fucking awesome. I really like that Nintendo has been using this stuff in a few of their games.
The comments mentioned skies of arcadia, but I've never gotten far in that. Any other games that try to do this?
SSX games did a bunch of this, Tricky especially. Most songs had a bunch of different mixes that would fade in and out depending on your current position in the race. Finding shortcuts and taking a huge jump would also affect the music.

Top Bottom