• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Barrage

I just hope we continue to shit the bed.

I got us going 4-3 on these last 7

The Knicks going 3-4

and the Bucks going 4-3.

It's just by records of the other teams of course so someone could always randomly lose to the Wizards and the Bobcats could troll the Knicks in the season ender.

I hope Turner punches Doug. Lou retires to pursue his rap career. Jrue continues to not give any fucks. and Brand has a Danny Glover moment. Then we go like 2-5.

The basketball gods need to save us from ourselves.

You got one more year of the Iggy/Brand era. Don't take your team being in the playoffs for granted, one day you'll long for the time your team was over .500.

Philly wil bottom out in due time, no need to rush it.

You got one more year of the Iggy/Brand era. Don't take your team being in the playoffs for granted, one day you'll long for the time your team was over .500.

Philly wil bottom out in due time, no need to rush it.

I guess, that's one way to look at it.

One more year of the Iggy era....sigh.

Emwitus

I just hope we continue to shit the bed.

I got us going 4-3 on these last 7

The Knicks going 3-4

and the Bucks going 4-3.

It's just by records of the other teams of course so someone could always randomly lose to the Wizards and the Bobcats could troll the Knicks in the season ender.

I hope Turner punches Doug. Lou retires to pursue his rap career. Jrue continues to not give any fucks. and Brand has a Danny Glover moment. Then we go like 2-5.

The basketball gods need to save us from ourselves.

Eh, you know this is going to happen. No one wants to be embarrassed on national TV when people they know are now watching.

i would like you to show me otherwise

people gameplan, play, rest, and go about their business differently in the playoffs. the effort level is also different and rotations are different

Only two teams in NBA history have won the title without a top 3 record in their conference (69 Celtics, 95 Rockets). It does show a good bit...

Only two teams in NBA history have won the title without a top 3 record in their conference (69 Celtics, 95 Rockets). It does show a good bit...

no i mean what im talking about specifically is teams matching up with other teams in a specific series. and that a series of bad games in the regular season doesnt determine anything as far as what a team will do while in the playoffs

obviously lower seeded teams wont make it because we know their ceiling. when elite teams meet in the playoffs then we find out things...but not based off what happened in the middle of the season

no i mean what im talking about specifically is teams matching up with other teams in a specific series. and that a series of bad games in the regular season doesnt determine anything as far as what a team will do while in the playoffs

obviously lower seeded teams wont make it because we know their ceiling. when elite teams meet in the playoffs then we find out things...but not based off what happened in the middle of the season

It's been shown before that teams that struggle to end the year, discounting when they rest good players, tend to struggle in the playoffs. Boston was an anomaly in 2010. They struggled in 2011 and we saw how that played out, meanwhile Miami was on a roll.

Lakers also limped into the playoffs last year, despite playing their best players. And they fizzled out, too.

i don't think it's that simple. It's not that the heat are losing, is that they're losing because their offense kind of sucks. And it's not because of Lebron/Wade despite their close game ending struggles.

Problem is, in a tough scheduled short season, the role players seem to have worn down.

Miami since the all-star game are scoring almost 9 less ppg on 0.5 MORE shots per game! They're getting more shots and scoring less. Their FG%, 3 pt %, and foul rates have dropped. But Lebron/Wade have held steady, in this regard. The problem is haslem, battier, miller all look remotely done on offense and Chalmers hit a brick wall.

the Heat supporting cast can't continue to be this bad if they expect to win it all. I wouldn't worry about Lebron/Wade being worse now if that were the case, but their 4-8 guys look to be in trouble.

This doesn't worry you?

oh dont get me wrong the team has concerns. never gonna deny flaws....however i know this team goes as far as their three best take them since they will be on the floor mostly. and with that said it doesnt still doesnt concern me because i really truly dont believe what happens now matters a bit. talk to me in the middle of a series after we have lost two games and arent adjusting to the opponent (kinda like after game 5 of the finals when it hit me that lebron disappeared for 3 straight games..)

i just think its better for my health lol if i dont react too quickly to what i see.

It's been shown before that teams that struggle to end the year, discounting when they rest good players, tend to struggle in the playoffs. Boston was an anomaly in 2010. They struggled in 2011 and we saw how that played out, meanwhile Miami was on a roll.

Lakers also limped into the playoffs last year, despite playing their best players. And they fizzled out, too.

i see your point but many teams and champions also struggle in the middle of the playoffs....which is also when teams often come together and make a run. i just feel the regular season is so irrelevant

the playoffs to me is a brand new season but you dont have time to fuck around, so yes its good to build winning habits and have confidence but i dont think how you enter the playoffs is how you will finish

09 Magic lost like 4 out of 5 leading up to the playoffs.

Canuck76

Banned

I think we'll just have to see in that first game of the playoffs. The heat may just be happy with where they're at right now and know no amount of regular season success will matter. Really the only thing they care about is a chip this season.

But if in that first game they aren't crushing spirits through fast breaks and kind of letting the D collapse then we'll know for sure

09 Magic lost like 4 out of 5 leading up to the playoffs.

3 of their last 5. And of those 2 losses, Howard played 24 minutes, not due to foul trouble. He was being rested. And hedo didn't play. And Lewis missed some games. The team was resting, which i exempted.

And 5 games is way too small a sample. I'm talking like 15 games.

I think we'll just have to see in that first game of the playoffs. The heat may just be happy with where they're at right now and know no amount of regular season success will matter. Really the only thing they care about is a chip this season.

But if in that first game they aren't crushing spirits through fast breaks and kind of letting the D collapse then we'll know for sure

I said earlier this season I wasn't sure if Miami was just going through the motions of the season or really not as good as last season. It's hard to just flip a switch at turn it on, too. The supporting cast has looked really bad and that would concern me more than anything. going into the playoffs last year, dudes like Anthony and Chalmers were playing better.

There's no rule but performing well against a team in the regular season does transfer over to the playoffs to some extent, rather than 'meaning nothing' like you said.

Despite being a lower seed Hawks beat ORL last year in the playoffs and were 3-1 in the regular season, Mavs beat the Heat while finishing with a lower seed and less wins but were 2-0 against them in the regular season. Season series account for something, it's no guarantee or anything since The Heat beat the Bulls and Boston after losing the season series to both, but there's something there.

There's no rule but performing well against a team in the regular season does transfer over to the playoffs to some extent, rather than 'meaning nothing' like you said.

Despite being a lower seed Hawks beat ORL last year in the playoffs and were 3-1 in the regular season, Mavs beat the Heat while finishing with a lower seed and less wins but were 2-0 against them in the regular season. Season series account for something, it's no guarantee or anything since The Heat beat the Bulls and Boston after losing the season series to both, but there's something there.

Plus injuries matter. Boston no longer had Perk or Shaq, who played in all 3 wins.

I think only once or twice has a team swept 4-0 in the regular season won the series. 3-1 favors the 3-1 team by a good margin, last I saw. However, those numbers are often skewed by 1st round opponents being quite week. 2nd round + the advantage is small.

regular season series matchups are a bit dicey because

A. often a key player is missing
B. b2b or 4th in 5th night games have an affect.

Which is why I think looking at an overall trend is more useful than just the regular season matchup.

I do think stylistic matchups are important, though.

ill give you guys most things you are saying but a season series record isnt anything, besides the obvious when one team is clearly better than the other and there isnt any other way to cut it

the fact that it can go both ways shows that a reg season series doesnt mean a thing. its all about within the series in the playoffs

the jordancats used to always beat the lakers but nobody would bet a single penny that they would be within 10 points of any game in a series with them

Triple U

Banned
I said earlier this season I wasn't sure if Miami was just going through the motions of the season or really not as good as last season. It's hard to just flip a switch at turn it on, too. The supporting cast has looked really bad and that would concern me more than anything. going into the playoffs last year, dudes like Anthony and Chalmers were playing better.

Heat are struggling now but they have looked alot better at points this season than they ever did last year. I expect the big 3 to be shutdown shortly and for them to at least try to turn it up a couple notches come playoff time. The role players will have to wake up though, that last bulls game was unbelievably pathetic.

thekad

Banned
Chalmers was terribad last year.

Keep in mind that Wade has been playing old man minutes this season. He'll be playing 40 minutes a game in the later rounds.

Heat are struggling now but they have looked alot better at points this season than they ever did last year. I expect the big 3 to be shutdown shortly and for them to at least try to turn it up a couple notches come playoff time. The role players will have to wake up though, that last bulls game was unbelievably pathetic.

Yeah, when the season started and most people were out of shape, Lebron + Wade, + Bosh were able to dominate. It's hard to directly compare to last season. heat had a lot of advantages coming into this season having a young, athletic trio with no coaching change.

The entire league has gotten better at scoring the last 6 weeks except for a few teams, which include the heat (philly as well). They've gotten worse rather than hold steady. That is a giant red flag, IMO.

I'm not so worried about the core 3 of the Heat (sans end of game). But I would be worried about everyone else. battier can't hit open 3s and haslem can't rebound anymore.

Chalmers was terribad last year.

Keep in mind that Wade has been playing old man minutes this season. He'll be playing 40 minutes a game in the later rounds.

Chalmers is playing worse now than he was after the all-star break last season.

Wade is only 3.5mpg less. And since the all-star break, he's at almost 36mpg. That's over the last 21 games. As Wade played more, the team got worse (reality is probably he played more because the team was performing worse).

you're right that playing 40mpg will help. But will it be enough to off-set the cast? Like I said, Joel, Chalmers, etc played decent leading up to the playoffs last season. Right now, no one is playing well.

SamuraiX-

Wait, Wade seriously suggested that he should receive compensation for playing for the USA Olympic Team?

lmfao

This fucking era, man. Wow.

Best gaf, this has been a really bitter-sweet and weird week for me. My girl and I made things exclusive finally so that's pretty awesome cause it's been years since I've had this kinda chemistry with a girl.

And this week, the guys who killed my best friend on New Year's were finally arrested. Definitely brought back a lot of painful memories...

I'm hoping for a good game between the Spurs/Suns to calm me down a bit.

I dont' have a problem with Olympians being compensated. The Olympics is big business, why not give some of that money to those responsible for bringing it in? If people want to get all outraged and pretend that the Olympics are all about the purity and sanctity of the sport, then lets start sending the amateurs and college players and don't' cry when Spain kicks our ass again.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Best gaf, this has been a really bitter-sweet and weird week for me. My girl and I made things exclusive finally so that's pretty awesome cause it's been years since I've had this kinda chemistry with a girl.

And this week, the guys who killed my best friend on New Year's were finally arrested. Definitely brought back a lot of painful memories...

Glad to hear something is finally happening with that case. I know its every day turmoil having to wait for stuff like that...

DY_nasty

I dont' have a problem with Olympians being compensated. The Olympics is big business, why not give some of that money to those responsible for bringing it in? If people want to get all outraged and pretend that the Olympics are all about the purity and sanctity of the sport, then lets start sending the amateurs and college players and don't' cry when Spain kicks our ass again.

Harrison Barons could at least get us to bronze game.

Canuck76

Banned

Holy Hell man, wow. Glad they got caught those guys. Hope some basketball gets your mind off things and helps you relax

giri

all the olympic teams are done as non-profits.

if you pay the NBA players, you pay everybody.

it was covered about 10 pages back.

They already make 10x more than any other athlete going, get over it.

Glad to hear something is finally happening with that case. I know its every day turmoil having to wait for stuff like that...

It was pretty rough considering I was working on Governor Snyder's Public Safety Dashboard. Working with all these high level police officers and and corrections offficials and not being to ask anyone about the case.

It's even more fucked up becuase if the bouncers hadn't chased my friend half a block away from the bar, none of this would have happened. :/

Anyway...hoping for a good performance from Timmy today! He always seems to play well against the Suns

In case you guys want to read about the suspects:

The first guy was an ex volunteer cop who got let go for "speeding" (I totally believe that)

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20120412/NEWS01/304130002

The second guy actually had served 16 years for murder before:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20120413/NEWS01/304140004

I hope Travis family sues the shit out of the bar for having those guys out there. The bouncers had actually beaten someone so bad before they put him in a coma.

DY_nasty

all the olympic teams are done as non-profits.

if you pay the NBA players, you pay everybody.

it was covered about 10 pages back.

They already make 10x more than any other athlete going, get over it.

Its hardly a black and white issue, and the stance of "they should be compensated" doesn't mean that they should be necessarily be paid by the Olympics... Yes, honor, national pride, etc - but these aren't amateurs, and a shitload of money is being made by multiple parties.

Canuck76

Banned
Its hardly a black and white issue, and the stance of "they should be compensated" doesn't mean that they should be necessarily be paid by the Olympics... Yes, honor, national pride, etc - but these aren't amateurs, and a shitload of money is being made by multiple parties.

It's pretty messed up that the American's were the first people to be like "hey give me money". I can't remember Nash or Anthony wanting money when they played for Canada.

Hell even Lebron is happy. Maybe there is another side but it's no place of Wade to come out and frigging ask that.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Other countries pay their athletes to join the Olympics.. So really all this do for free stuff is silly

Canuck76

Banned
someone asked ray allen and wade how they felt about it

he didn't say pay me to play in london or anything like that

Even still that's just a bit nasty, no matter if someone asked or not. It's not enough to represent you want to get paid as well. Hell that's basically a free vacation. They don't pay for the flights, lodging, or meal right?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Even still that's just a bit nasty, no matter if someone asked or not. It's not enough to represent you want to get paid as well. Hell that's basically a free vacation. They don't pay for the flights, lodging, or meal right?

lol they shouldnt make any money for work..

DY_nasty

lol Americans? You realize that the NBA damn near inspired the international basketball community right? But feel free to plug that logic in whenever you feel like having everyone write you off before they more time on that topic with you.

Wade's USA jersey is worth a lot more than Nash's Canada jersey, in a lot of ways.
Other countries pay their athletes to join the Olympics.. So really all this do for free stuff is silly
Nonsense

Top Bottom