• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 British ISIS brides that flew into Syria reportedly on the run from their husbands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabanton

Not surprised things may have turned out this way for them. Can't say I'm very sympathetic either.

Apparently the way these three were seduced over there was through a former school friend who had gone over their prior and was in contact with the girls through social media selling them the 'dream'.

I personally don't see how they could come back and not be jailed for a long time. Or whether they'd actually be allowed back into the UK. Especially because the Tories are back in and are going to want to make an extreme example of these girls if they think they can come back with no consequences.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
They knowingly joined military group that is famous for rape and murder. 16 isn't that stupid, they are educated in the west too, I really having a hard time to feel sad for them.

Be nice if they made it back and start anew, if not, I wouldn't be too bother with it to be honest.

Daesh has extremely smooth and sophisticated people working social media on these girls, they appeal to their insecurities, inspire them to think they are going to become part of something bigger than themselves.

It's really no different from any other kind of recruitment tactic, it's just these guys are fucking death cultists who are good at social media.

NEO0MJ

I'm sure parental religious indoctrination plays into this. Just hope they weren't so dumb as to get stoned to death. It'll make for an interesting book.

Sad thing about these is that it seemed the government knew they were going to travel and rather notify the parents gave the girls a letter to hand over to their parents...which they never did.

Young impressionable kids that are jaded about their home country assume the grass is greener and decide to leave their families to join isis.

It'd be easier of we could attribute their choice to insanity and such but sadly the truth is far worse.

Personally I think they're just naive kids that may not have fully assimilated back home and find appeal in the "back to basics" message they got from isis recruiters.

The reality doesn't match the hype and they probably would like to go home now.

A lot of young idealistic dumb fuck kids want something to believe in. Usually that's equal rights, or political ideology...not joining a very well known terror group.

kitch9

Banned
I'll never understand the appeal for young women to join this shit. I get why psychotic men would join, but women literally become property right away.

They get groomed, told they will be treated like Queens with the promise of a butch husband.

They get there, get told to do the dishes and to have sex with the bearded sweaty bloke in the corner and it all goes out the window.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Young impressionable kids that are jaded about their home country assume the grass is greener and decide to leave their families to join isis.

It made you wonder what they thought was greener on the other side?

The fact that there are less discrimination against Muslim? Or the fact you can kill non Muslim.

Burai

shitonmychest57
They knowingly joined military group that is famous for rape and murder. 16 isn't that stupid, they are educated in the west too, I really having a hard time to feel sad for them.

Be nice if they made it back and start anew, if not, I wouldn't be too bother with it to be honest.

No, they knowingly joined the new caliphate and all the rape and murder on the news is just western propaganda from a terrified establishment who want to crush them and stop them from fulfilling their destiny.

It's like some of you are completely oblivious to the power of grooming. How do you think people end up in cults when anyone knows how dangerous they are? How do you think so many young people end up on hard drugs like heroin and crack? Why do girls still keep meeting strange men off the internet?

You take someone who's unhappy and confused about their place in society, spin them the right lies and tell them what they want to hear and, bang, they fall into your trap.

The lack of empathy is astounding in this thread. These girls need the support of an understanding society. That's what elevates us above those animals.

MutFox

Banned
They better hope they don't get captured.

I can only imagine what IS would do,
going by what they did to that Jordanian pilot.

I don't have much hope for the girls though.
Was really stupid what they did.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I hope this refutes any fantasy in their mind that their society was corrupt and that an revolutionary Islamic society was some kind of ideal. I hope they see that it was completely backwards.

Talk about an inversion of moral values.

Suen

Another bunch of dirty foreign terrorists. At that age they have no excuses. Hope they run right into the Iraqi army, get handed over to the authority and face the law. Or even better, turn them back to Mosul and let them live with their choice until the city is liberated. Shitty fucking terrorist brides.

PJV3

Another bunch of dirty foreign terrorists. At that age they have no excuses. Hope they run right into the Iraqi army, get handed over to the authority and face the law. Or even better, turn them back to Mosul and let them live with their choice until the city is liberated. Shitty fucking terrorist brides.

They're so high profile in the UK that they would be useful. Get them talking to other girls about the experience.

If this story is true I doubt they will make it very long sadly.

dabig2

I hope this refutes any fantasy in their mind that their society was corrupt and that an revolutionary Islamic society was some kind of ideal. I hope they see that it was completely backwards.

Talk about an inversion of moral values.

Their - our - society is and remains corrupt as hell. This doesn't change it. What it does change is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Hopefully they can escape, reform, and go on to do something meaningful with their lives, like warn others against their action.

They're so high profile in the UK that they would be useful. Get them talking to other girls about the experience.

If this story is true I doubt they will make it very long sadly.

Yeah, but if they are rescued, how else would I satisfy my blood lust for a couple of foolish 16 year old girls?

Baki

There is a point to where "There just kids" can be applied. Leaving their homes to become brides for a known terrorist group who laugh at the notion of woman's rights or freedom and then wanting to back off after they see what reality is does not make me that sympathetic.

It's like kids join a gang. Its a really stupid move, but kids do really stupid shit sometimes.

Sadly I'm in the fuck em camp.

They knew what they were leaving to do. They left to be married to animals which chop people's heads off and threaten our way of life.

I don't really care if they get caught, best case they are the examples that others take to not go over there.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Their - our - society is and remains corrupt as hell. This doesn't change it. What it does change is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Hopefully they can escape, reform, and go on to do something meaningful with their lives, like warn others against their action.

I can't help but think that the tendency you are furthering is exactly what I was just decrying.

I grew up a liberal and an iconoclast. I am no stranger to criticizing my own Western society. It was the air I breathed for most of my life. But I'm not a teenager or in my 20s anymore. I'm starting to be skeptical of the fashion of "educated" pessimism about the "deep corruption" of western society.

This is a society where we are free to live how we want, we have no restrictions over us about what we believe, what we say, who we date, how we live our lives. That makes it one of the best societies in human history (I have a history degree - this is clearly true).

So the rich have set up schemes to make themselves richer? So politicians end up colluding with those of similar goals? Those are the warts on a generally benign and pleasant social organization. I think it's wise to acknowledge how unusually free from intrusion Western life is. And rushing to call it corrupt to its core, instead of decent (with issues), is exactly the attitude that allows people to believe the complete fantasy that led to the story like in the OP. People sipping Starbucks and typing on their iPad who think they're living under Stalin or King Louie and Marie Antoinette or whatever...

Burai

shitonmychest57

They knew what they were leaving to do. They left to be married to animals which chop people's heads off and threaten our way of life.

I don't really care if they get caught, best case they are the examples that others take to not go over there.

But they didn't know what they were leaving to do. They were sold a falsehood by a friend who was recruiting vulnerable young girls.

What's the difference between this and the girls that go to gangsters to get out of their impoverished country with the promise of better lives and they end up kidnapped and sold into sex slavery? Surely they knew what they were getting into as well? You'd have to be stupid to trust gangsters, right? So fuck them and hope they enjoy a life of being exploited and raped?

Surely these girls knew enough about ISIS before they left to know exactly what they were getting into?

You've only got to go on Facebook for 5 minutes to see the "Latest Kafir Beheading of the Week".

YoungHav

Banned

If you are not in the middle east, then lmao @ this. The worse they will do to you is take down PSN for a month.

ICKE

Banned
People who are all "FUCK THEM" should watch a French documentary called

Engrenage : les jeunes face à l'islam radical

There is a social center in Strasbourg where families and youngsters are given council and psychological help. Many young Muslim women are disenfranchised from western society and are given promises by these men who have criminal backgrounds. They are told that there is a special place for them in the world, that in Syria the community cares about them and so on. They do not travel there necessarily out of some need for vengeance and blood lust. Young people are impressionable and easily manipulated.

I obviously have very little sympathy for men who take the trip in order to fight but some people are completely oblivious as to what is going on. Teenagers are like that.

But they didn't know what they were leaving to do. They were sold a falsehood by a friend who was recruiting vulnerable young girls.

What's the difference between this and the girls that go to gangsters to get out of their impoverished country with the promise of better lives and they end up kidnapped and sold into sex slavery? Surely they knew what they were getting into as well? You'd have to be stupid to trust gangsters, right? So fuck them and hope they enjoy a life of being exploited and raped?

Your comparison is a false equivalence; if only because this straw country, being impoverished, one would assume that the education is below-average. So then you have people who aren't as intelligent, who meet strangers who offer them wealth and a new life, and thus they fall into a trap.

These girls were raised in London. We can assume that their education was standard by all means, a standard, English education. They probably lived comfortable lives, compared to your straw girls that went to gangsters. And London definitely isn't impoverished, compared to your straw-country.

It's a false equivalence.

dabig2

I can't help but think that the tendency you are furthering is exactly what I was just decrying.

I grew up a liberal and an iconoclast. I am no stranger to criticizing my own Western society. It was the air I breathed for most of my life. But I'm not a teenager or in my 20s anymore. I'm starting to be skeptical of the fashion of "educated" pessimism about the "deep corruption" of western society.

This is a society where we are free to live how we want, we have no restrictions over us about what we believe, what we say, who we date, how we live our lives. That makes it one of the best societies in human history (I have a history degree - this is clearly true).

So the rich have set up schemes to make themselves richer? So politicians end up colluding with those of similar goals? Those are the warts on a generally benign and pleasant social organization. I think it's wise to acknowledge how unusually free from intrusion Western life is. And rushing to call it corrupt to its core, instead of decent (with issues), is exactly the attitude that allows people to believe the complete fantasy that led to the story like in the OP. People sipping Starbucks and typing on their iPad who think they're living under Stalin or King Louie and Marie Antoinette or whatever...

I had something else typed up but it's 5 am and I'm tired so here's something else: it's bullshit like this that has led to countless tragedies. Societies believing they are "pure, just, and all around good guys". They used, use, and will continue to use this to subjugate and murder those not like them or those that stand in their way. Preach god, justice, and democracy in 1 hand while slaughtering indiscriminately on the other, creating new generations of would-be terrorists.

No, I refute the implication that recognizing that our society is corrupt as hell and isn't some "shining city on the hill" propaganda rhetoric is what leads to stories like the OP. You want to know what recognizing that your current society is kinda really shitty leads to? It leads to this:

This is a society where we are free to live how we want, we have no restrictions over us about what we believe, what we say, who we date, how we live our lives.

Before you can fix a problem, you need to recognize it first. Ignoring it or saying "well, it's a 1000x worse elsewhere so shut it and enjoy your 1st world!" is the emptiest rhetoric in the world and THAT is what leads to, as you say it, people sipping on their Starbucks lamenting the world and society.

Madness

Hard to feel sympathy. I mean they're not exactly kids. That being said, they don't deserve to be captured or beaten if they don't want to be there. Hopefully they can escape, and then try and educate others. A lot of girls living under oppressive religions or customs, often rebel so those saying they had no choice, I don't buy.

You have to wonder where the appeal is in wanting to marry men who said they would literally rape a minority group of women out of existence. They killed that American woman as well and blamed it on an airstrike after raping her and keeping her as a bride too. Seriously there is nothing for you in ISIS except death and despair.

Can't say I feel sorry for them. I certainly hope they manage to escape because if they don't, they're fucked.

Either way, if they do escape and live to tell the story, it could put kids off from doing the same, but if they are captured and killed, it may also make kids to think twice.

Don't they have a rule to not kill women though?

I wish them no harm but I don't think they should ever be allowed to return to the west. And 16 is old enough to know right from wrong especially when the wrong is so apparent with a group like ISIS.

That seems counter-productive.

The best tool to fight against people leaving to join ISIS is to have ex members or people who left to join and came back telling their story about how horrific and brutal the reality is compared to the high production value propaganda.

You fight the idea with people who actually bought into it and came back running after reality set in.

Jay Sosa

There is a social center in Strasbourg where families and youngsters are given council and psychological help. Many young Muslim women are disenfranchised from western society and are given promises by these men who have criminal backgrounds. They are told that there is a special place for them in the world, that in Syria the community cares about them and so on. They do not travel there necessarily out of some need for vengeance and blood lust. Young people are impressionable and easily manipulated.

I obviously have very little sympathy for men who take the trip in order to fight but some people are completely oblivious as to what is going on. Teenagers are like that.

How about informing yourself before leaving the country to marry some bloke you've never met?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I would never let an IS member (man or woman) back into normal Western society. I wouldn't be able to trust them regardless of what change of heart they may claim to have.

This is a large part of the reason why the problem won't be solved. There are just under 30,000 ISIS fighters. Many members of ISIS are not fighters - like these girls - and instead fill various other roles, from support personnel (ansar), security forces (hisba), trainee recruits, and so on. In total, there are probably about 200,000 ISIS associates in Iraq and Syria. To put it another way, that's the population of Aberdeen, Scotland.

It's not practical to kill or imprison that many people on mass. Firstly, just having the troop numbers to not only deal with 30,000 active ISIS fighters, but also the full remaining 170,000, is a struggle for Syrian and Iraqi forces at the best of times. Sending in outside actors could make the situation better, but would require very careful handling. If the handling is the United States says "let's kill/imprison every single person associated with ISIS", that doesn't make the situation better.

It makes it worse in four key ways. Firstly, the moment you tell your opponent there will be no quarter, they will fight like there is no quarter. Bribes and amnesties have typically been much more effective at destabilizing extremist and criminal organizations - for a recent example, see Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines. Secondly, you risk large civilian casualties. At the point there are 200,000 people who have been to integrate into the local civilian infrastructure, and you have a 'no quarter' policy, then it's very, very difficult to ensure that local people don't occasionally end up at the wrong end of that policy - much more difficult than when you take a softly softly approach. That's exactly the sort of thing that results in locals being more likely to join ISIS, turn against outside actors, and make the problem worse by turning the situation from what is currently fairly typical warfare to guerilla warfare proper. Thirdly, you risk making martyrs of members of a religous organization where the lowest ranks have very strong convicitions in these religious ideals, or at least at the point where they join. Fourthly, you damage the capacity of actors in the area to gather good information about ISIS when you discourage ISIS members from defecting. A great deal of Western intelligence about ISIS comes from Sweden, and that's because Sweden has a rehabilitation policy that makes defection a reasonable prospect when you realize how awful ISIS is - something a lot of recruits either don't realize or don't really believe.

If the West wants to deal properly with ISIS, it has to accept that a reasonable rehabilitation process for some if not all members is the only practical way to do it. When the Allies entered Germany after the war, they didn't execute every single person ever who had even been remotely associated with the Nazis. That would have been an absolutely horrific policy that would have condemned Germany to failed state status for decades into the future. Instead, they undertook a deNazification policy aimed at making people realize, regret and reintegrate. This is we need to proceed with ISIS.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Yeah. It's not just that they are kids, but that their are not seeing the full picture for a variety of reasons.

Many of those girls are not familiar with IS. They've been sold the idea of marrying some noble, bearded warrior-prince from afar who will treat them with the respect they don't get at home. Those girls are not thinking about the slaughter going on there; they just want to be loved and respected.

Keep in mind that IS's propaganda has a prong-like approach: they pump the most morbid executions as a way to spread terror among their enemies and encourage their troops, but also portrays their fighters as noble, ascetic warriors fighting for what is right in an attempt to recruit new members.

It's a clear case of play stupid games win stupid prices, but it's not easy to see the truth when you live in a vacuum.

How about informing yourself before leaving the country to marry some bloke you've never met?
You are asking too much from a young teenager. Specially one who has already been influenced by IS propaganda. IS operates as a cult when it comes to recruiting new members.

Get these kids back, pardon them, have them interviewed and then televise it showing their disappointment and regret while exposing the reality of ISIS.

And do this with as many as possible. I see this as the most effective marketing strategy against ISIS. Much more efficient than trying to control online speech.

YoungHav

Banned
People are invoking Columbine? I don't think being a sex bride for terrorists is the same as shooting up a school.
The western lifestyle is the least of ISIS's concerns
No, you don't get it. ISIS made a video explicitly detailing their plans to invade Huntsville, Alabama.

43 minutes into the same video a cleric issued a fatwah against Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

If you are not in the middle east, then lmao @ this. The worse they will do to you is take down PSN for a month.

I'm sorry, did 7/7 not happen? Attacks in France? 9/11? Boston bombings? Need I make a list?

By threaten our way of life I mean that they want to cause harm to use through acts of terrorism in our countries. Not that they're gonna take over hurr durr.

See above.

Come on seriously? They didn't know what they were getting in to? They don't know what ISIS is? They don't know if the atrocities they are committing? They've never watched the news? They think we make ever last bit of it up?

Sorry but that's not going to wash with me. My 12 year old brother, hell even my 10 year old brother knows the difference between ISIS and normal Muslims, and understands what ISIS represent.

This is so cringeworthy. Holy shit.

See above, there's nothing cringeworthy about it.

I don't care what age you are or how vulnerable you are. If at any point you feel that it's a good idea to leave the country you live in which gives you the things you need to join a terrorist organisation with the view to become a terrorists wife then...well... God speed to you.

NEO0MJ

43 minutes into the same video a cleric issued a fatwah against Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

Not Sweet Baby Ray's!

Come on seriously? They didn't know what they were getting in to? They don't know what ISIS is? They don't know if the atrocities they are committing? They've never watched the news? They think we make ever last bit of it up?

Sorry but that's not going to wash with me. My 12 year old brother, hell even my 10 year old brother knows the difference between ISIS and normal Muslims, and understands what ISIS represent.

Never think that all other people are as informed as you or have the same outlook on things.

lazygecko

"Normal" people still join cults like scientology or pyramid schemes these days. ISIS have extensive recruitment networks in place over the world that probably utilize the very same tactics and psychological tricks the former do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom