• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 British ISIS brides that flew into Syria reportedly on the run from their husbands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siegcram

Come on seriously? They didn't know what they were getting in to? They don't know what ISIS is? They don't know if the atrocities they are committing? They've never watched the news? They think we make ever last bit of it up?

Sorry but that's not going to wash with me. My 12 year old brother, hell even my 10 year old brother knows the difference between ISIS and normal Muslims, and understands what ISIS represent.
Cults prey on the ignorant, uneducated and gullible. Not really anything new.

Also it's pretty presumptuous to ascribe your own level of information on literally everyone in the west, or whatever you're getting at.

Suen

They're so high profile in the UK that they would be useful. Get them talking to other girls about the experience.

If this story is true I doubt they will make it very long sadly.
Funny how it's ok to just let them come back, teach them to not repeat the same mistake again and have them talk about their experience. Imagine how the average Iraqi feels when these terrorists coming from the western world travel to their country and kill or aid in the killings of their people, friends and family and then get to travel back to their country with a light punishment that gives them an even better life than the people they killed or helped to kill in jail. It really does speak volumes of how lots westerners view the life of Iraqis, which is less than the dirt under their shoes. Not exactly a surprise when you consider how their democratically elected governments participated in U.S. WMD (lol) fiasco.

Meanwhile if a terrorist with non-EU citizenship carried out, plotted or aided in terrorist attacks in Europe you'd already find that person facing strict punishment there. They sure as hell wouldn't get a free pass to travel back to their country.

Fuck these terrorist, and that includes the scum this topic is about who were educated in the west and still willingly went to aid other terrorists.

Suen

Also it's pretty presumptuous to ascribe your own level of information on literally everyone in the west, or whatever you're getting at.
They also traveled to another country which they entered in an illegal and aren't'the citizens of and settled down in a city where they know no one. Are you going to tell us that they can't tell that something is wrong even from simple basic things like that which even a 9 year old is taught in industrial countries in Europe? The amount of excuses people make for people joining and aiding IS here is mindblowing. It's like seeing light versions of liger05 and kobashi everywhere.

PJV3

Funny how it's ok to just let them come back, teach them to not repeat the same mistake again and have them talk about their experience. Imagine how the average Iraqi feels when these terrorists coming from the western world travel to their country and kill or aid in the killings of their people, friends and family and then get to travel back to their country with a light punishment that gives them an even better life than the people they killed or helped to kill in jail. It really does speak volumes of how lots westerners view the life of Iraqis, which is less than the dirt under their shoes. Not exactly a surprise when you consider how their democratically elected governments participated in U.S. WMD (lol) fiasco.

Meanwhile if a terrorist with non-EU citizenship carried out, plotted or aided in terrorist attacks in Europe you'd already find that person facing strict punishment there. They sure as hell wouldn't get a free pass to travel back to their country.

Fuck these terrorist, and that includes the scum this topic is about who were educated in the west and still willingly went to aid other terrorists.

If they went to bomb, kill etc then it's a completely different ball game. If they went to just be a wet hole for some lunatic then I think it's possible to deal with it here.

If they're unrepentant then I doubt they want to come back anyway.

CSJ

I can't sympathise, they're 16 - old enough to know what's up - we were all 16 once so if you think they're incapable of knowing right from wrong in this situation then I guess those of you were very naive.
Age of consent, can fly a light aircraft solo at 16 so uk society clearly recognises the ability for 16 year olds to be trusted at that age.

They were old enough to go to Syria, join ISIS and get married all by themselves.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They also traveled to another country which they entered in an illegal and aren't'the citizens of and settled down in a city where they know no one. Are you going to tell us that they can't tell that something is wrong even from simple basic things like that which even a 9 year old is taught in industrial countries in Europe? The amount of excuses people make for people joining and aiding IS here is mindblowing. It's like seeing light versions of liger05 and kobashi everywhere.

They know they are doing something ilegal.

They are not aware of the whole dimension of the IS, what they stand for, what they do and what awaits them.

Claiming that they are blamess is stupid, but so is pretending that they knew what they were really getting into. We are not talking about fresh recruits to reinforce the ranks, but girls who were sold on the idea of marrying pious men who would treat them with the respect they were not receving at home, when in reality the IS only tries to get some comfort women in order to keep the morale high.

Binary thinking doesn't really work here.

I'm intrigued. What is it that you perceive as "our way of life"?

What difference does it make? That's not what the discussion is about and regardless I've explained my thoughts in the other post. If you're oblivious to the videos of them stating what they went to do to the western world then that's your ignorance, not mine.

They should not be allowed back into the UK period.

Who says that this isn't a plan to allow them to return and try and recruit more people?

Not Sweet Baby Ray's!

Never think that all other people are as informed as you or have the same outlook on things.

That's true. I mean sure I sympathise with the situation they are in, however at the same time being a rebel as a teen and staying out past the time your parents let you, or smoking or drinking is not in the same league as saving up money to buy tickets to fly to Turkey to illegally enter a country where you know nobody for the purpose to become a terrorists wife.

That's not normal and in my opinion they knew what they were getting into by doing so.

Like I said above, they were raised in the UK. They had the same level of education as the rest of us.

A 10 year old child knows what ISIS represents....

Vamp

They are not aware of the whole dimension of the IS, what they stand for, what they do and what awaits them.

Please, simple googling ISIS will give you all info about them, they knew what they are getting into. They are 16 years old, they know how to use internet.

Siegcram

I don't excuse anything. These girls are fucking stupid. But that's all they are. They aren't the ones actively raping and pillaging.

So unless you're going to provide proof they aided IS's cause in any significant way I don't see any reason to condemn them for being blinded and ill-informed.

Lastly, something being deemed "wrong" by society is hardly a deterrent for idiot teenagers. The opposite if anything. This may be an extreme example of that, but that's what extremist propaganda gets you.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Please, simple googling ISIS will give you all info about them, they knew what they are getting into. They are 16 years old, they know how to use internet.

They are also dumb 16 year olds told by people they trust not to believe the mean things about the IS they may found on the internet (then, you also have mainstream channels like Russia Today spreading all kinds of conflicting, conspiranoid bullshit) while selling them a glorious future next to a noble fighter warrying for justice. Most teenagers will probably bail, but gullible ones may fall for it.

It's cult tactics 101.

Siegcram

Like I said above, they were raised in the UK. They had the same level of education as the rest of us.

A 10 year old child knows what ISIS represents....
And Going Clear is on HBO, yet we still have english-speaking scientologists.

There's no universal educational standard in the UK or anywhere else that makes you immune to indoctrination and propaganda.

Burai

shitonmychest57
They are also dumb 16 year olds told by people they trust not to believe the mean things about the IS they may found on the internet (then, you also have mainstream channels like Russia Today spreading all kinds of conflicting, conspiranoid bullshit) while selling them a glorious future next to a noble fighter warrying for justice. Most teenagers will probably bail, but gullible ones may fall for it.

It's cult tactics 101.

Exactly. Clever people do stupid things all the time.

This argument that "they knew what they were getting into" is so demonstrably false because if that were true they wouldn't be running away from it now.

This argument that "they knew what they were getting into" is so demonstrably false because if that were true they wouldn't be running away from it now.
Were do we draw the line? It is still their choice and they went willingly. It's on them in the end and they need to deal with the consequences of joining a terrorist organisation.

If they make it back, they need to be arrested and seen if they participated in any killings or other crimes. And I think the act of joining a terrorist organisation is a crime in itself already.

Bleepey

I find it weird that people who go and hang out with a gang of rapists and murderers are surprised to find out that they are unsavoury characters. Now they are trapped and probably have been gangraped to high heaven, they want to invoke civis romanus sum.. I wanna yell at any of these wannabe jihadis and their enablers, bitch what the fuck is wrong with you? I hate the whole "someone needs to get laid" bullshit cos of the toxic bullshit that can arise from it, but damn it there is some truth to it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Were do we draw the line? It is still their choice and they went willingly. It's on them in the end and they need to deal with the consequences of joining a terrorist organisation.

If they make it back, they need to be arrested and seen if they participated in any killings or other crimes. And I think the act of joining a terrorist organisation is a crime in itself already.

I think most of us are fine with that. I'm just disputing that they booked their flights thinking about murdering anyone.

As far as I'm concerned, right now they are more valuable for us than they are for them.

Siegcram

I find it weird that people who go and hang out with a gang of rapists and murderers are surprised to find out that they are unsavoury characters. Now they are trapped and probably have been gangraped to high heaven, they want to invoke civis romanus sum.. I wanna yell at any of these wannabe jihadis and their enablers, bitch what the fuck is wrong with you? I hate the whole "someone needs to get laid" bullshit cos of the toxic bullshit that can arise from it, but damn it there is some truth to it.
The fuck is this shit?

I think most of us are fine with that. I'm just disputing that they booked their flights thinking about murdering anyone.

As far as I'm concerned, right now they are more valuable for us than they are for them.
Maybe not murdering anyone themselves. But surely they know that ISIS does murder people and by joining them they are supporting that.

soepje

Damn, people are harsh itt. They are 16 years old for crying out loud, minds are mendable as f* at that age. If they where older, tough luck indeed. But i hope these kids get to return home safely.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Maybe not murdering anyone themselves. But surely they know that ISIS does murder people and by joining them they are supporting that.

They believe they are fighting the good fight and that most if not all of the terrible stuff about IS in the mainstream media is Western propaganda.

That's how it works. Because they are gullible young people under the influence of smarter adults powering a veritable war machine. This is also why they wake the fuck up as soon as they reach IS-land and see the truth with their own eyes.

We aren't exactly talking about thugs going to war and suddenly finding that they were not done for the trench lifestyle.

Pro tip for those who say "fuck em" to these foolish girls: Daesh atrocities are Daesh atrocities, and everyone is worth saving from that fate.

Otherwise it's not the atrocities you oppose, but the target.

It's cult tactics 101.

Agreed. I mean yea they should have thought more critically before making a move but at the same time they're more or less still kids and extremely naive.

Shit, I've done so many dumb things at that age.

I'm not exactly overflowing with sympathy here but...

...this is the kind of thing people on the outside say to make them feel better about themselves. Educated, intelligent people make awful decisions and join sketchy groups all the time.

Sucks to be them. If they are caught and publicly executed it would deter a lot of girls from joining IS and there'd be a huge backlash. No-one would make the mistake of doing what they did again unless they were really committed to the jihadi cause.

They believe they are fighting the good fight and that most if not all of the terrible stuff about IS in the mainstream media is Western propaganda.

That's how it works. Because they are gullible young people under the influence of smarter adults powering a veritable war machine. This is also why they wake the fuck up as soon as they reach IS-land and see the truth with their own eyes.

We aren't exactly talking about thugs going to war and suddenly finding that they were not done for the trench lifestyle.
Fighting the good fight as you call it would still supporting killing people just because they live different lives or believe in different things. They must have known that and agree with that to some extend.

Sorry, but I don't see that much difference with the guys going down there to do the actual killing. Both is supporting the same thing and both see when they arrive that it is way different then they would have thought.

I still put a lot of blame on them, even though I find it incredibly strange how their parents didn't catch any of this and stopped them from going.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Fighting the good fight as you call it would still supporting killing people just because they live different lives or believe in different things. They must have known that and agree with that to some extend.

Sorry, but I don't see that much difference with the guys going down there to do the actual killing. Both is supporting the same thing and both see when they arrive that it is way different then they would have thought.

I still put a lot of blame on them, even though I find it incredibly strange how their parents didn't catch any of this and stopped them from going.

But with the right propaganda it's easy to see ISIS as freedom fighters taking back what rightfully belongs to Islam. All the nasty stuff you see on TV is "just western propaganda". There are enough conspiracy theorists like 9/11 truthers out there to know that if you press the right buttons you can get anyone to believe anything.

I mean what do people like you think they were going out there for? Do you think should they get back to the UK they'll be telling the authorities that "we were expecting a better class of barbaric murderous rapist"?

But with the right propaganda it's easy to see ISIS as freedom fighters taking back what rightfully belongs to Islam. All the nasty stuff you see on TV is "just western propaganda". There are enough conspiracy theorists like 9/11 truthers out there to know that if you press the right buttons you can get anyone to believe anything.

I mean what do people like you think they were going out there for? Do you think should they get back to the UK they'll be telling the authorities that "we were expecting a better class of barbaric murderous rapist"?
Sure, they think they are doing the right thing. But that right thing still includes killing people for your faith and any reasonable person would find that abhorrent.

If these girls go out there to support something like that, I am guessing they would also support stuff like the 9/11 attacks and the recent shooting in Paris.

Why they believe that probably has a dozen reasons and also is a coming together of circumstances. Getting into contact with the wrong people. Having friends that are also easily brought to that side to reinforce their own views.

But in the end it is supporting a terrorist organisation that does horrible things and you can't tell me they aren't aware of ISIS beheading people. That has been all over the news and must have reached them. That implies to me they support that kind of thing or just don't care about it - which is just as bad.

BigDug13

There were a ton of girls who thought the Boston bomber couldn't have done it because he was attractive. Who knows what "Tsarnaev-esque" pics these guys are throwing out their as baited hooks.

Mesousa

Banned
Agreed. I mean yea they should have thought more critically before making a move but at the same time they're more or less still kids and extremely naive.

Shit, I've done so many dumb things at that age.

This isn't even dumb. This is outright insanity.

What teen leaves her family to marry some bloke in a war zone?

Rubenov

The way these girls were able to move / plan their exit from the UK, and the way they've escaped ISIS so far, makes me think they would've been good MI5 agents or something.

"ISIL is thoroughly searching for them and hasn't captured them yet. They are Brits, not immigrants, and they are very young teens (around 16 years old)."

16 years old, jeez. I get that there are women who are into actual bad boys, like people in prison, and will form long-term relationships with them for whatever reason (want to fix them, or just like their personality, etc), but they're usually not THIS YOUNG!

That is scary, and I wonder what made these young girls think that was not going to end horribly?

dabig2

That is scary, and I wonder what made these young girls think that was not going to end horribly?

This question is the primary reason why I, and many others, want to get them back alive. Because they are not the only young ones being misled into this life, and they won't be the last even if they are very publicly massacred by ISIS. Their deaths would be meaningless, we'll continue to know nothing, and ISIS will continue to poison the minds of countless other young people.

At the very least they would be a great source of information into how ISIS recruits, where they recruit, and how they're able to get into these battlegrounds.

But fuck all of that, right? Let them burn.

danthefan

We've all done really moronic stuff as kids. Now this is off the fucking scale in terms of moronic but if they want out I hope they can escape and regain some sort of normal life.

Burai

shitonmychest57
But in the end it is supporting a terrorist organisation that does horrible things and you can't tell me they aren't aware of ISIS beheading people. That has been all over the news and must have reached them. That implies to me they support that kind of thing or just don't care about it - which is just as bad.

Again, from their point of view they aren't terrorists but freedom fighters. And it's not as if the civilised world hasn't done some horrifying, barbaric things in the name of the greater good during times of war.

How you justify those depends on the side you're on.

Stet

Banned
when I was a teen I got really mad at my mom one weekend because she WOULDN'T STOP GOING THROUGH MY THINGS and to punish her I joined a gang that didn't offer me drugs or women or money or a comfortable lifestyle or respect or freedom or safety or fun or friendship or a nice place to stay but instead the opportunity to behead random strangers

man you should have seen that episode of maury

This isn't even dumb. This is outright insanity.

What teen leaves her family to marry some bloke in a war zone?

Extremely naive, gullible and perhaps rebellious teens.

I imagine its the same mindset of teens who grow up with good families yet join gangs.

I can tell you as a Muslim/Arab guy in NA, people will say incredibly racist/bigoted things without even realizing it or even meaning to. I'm an adult, so I know better, but take the moldable mind of a teenager who may be experiencing these same passive forms of bigotry and you can see how daesh manipulates these teens into thinking how much more accepted they will be with them (daeash)

Islamic State... Or Conservative majority

WNRAWDr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom