• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (August, Directed by Edgar Wright)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an Edgar Wright movie, released by Sony. I mean, how couldn't it bomb?
:(

It's such a good movie and the best part is that it's practically designed for trailers, with its car chases. It's what many people thought "Drive" would end up being; it takes its simple setup and it just runs with it. People are going to walk into this thinking they're getting another action movie and they'll walk out having witnessed Edgar Wright's take on a "Fast and Furious" film.

Prompto

Banned
Just got out of an early advance screening here in NYC and it was a total blast from the first minute to the last. Easily the best film I saw this year. I really hope Sony pushes Baby Driver even if they have Spider-Man the following week coming out.

I saw it tonight.

It's good.

It's really really really good, and there are just so many "holy shit, that's so fucking cool" moments in terms of everything from action to even audio placement. It's a fucking great movie, and I am praying that this movie doesn't bomb.
Awesome. Probably too soon to say but how would you rank it compared to his other films?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Not feeling this.

I like Edgar Wright (Scott Pilgrim is probably my favorite move in the past decade), but this doesn't seem like a his kind of film. Seems something I'd expect from Guy Ritchie.

Awesome. Probably too soon to say but how would you rank it compared to his other films?

Out of the 5 Edgar Wright films I've seen, I think my ranking would go:

Hot Fuzz > Scott Pilgrim = Baby Driver > Shaun of the Dead > World's End

But keep in mind, the differences between these rankings are like 0.1 or so. It's like the Kanye rankings, where every day you have a new system. Even I'm not entirely comfortable with my ranking here, and I just want to say they're all great in their own ways.

Ed-Silver

Neo Member

I have only seen Scott Pilgrim from Edgar Wright and I think Baby Driver was the better film, by far. The action sequences alone were even better than the action in The Fate of the Furious which I recently saw two days ago at the NYC Premiere in Radio City. Believe the hype. I can't wait to see it again in June.

TheFlow

Banned

But keep in mind, the differences between these rankings are like 0.1 or so. It's like the Kanye rankings, where every day you have a new system. Even I'm not entirely comfortable with my ranking here, and I just want to say they're all great in their own ways.

Scott pilgrim is my second favorite movie of all time point blank. So what you are saying means a lot.

Out of Wright's original movies hot fuzz is definitely my favorite.

I have only seen Scott Pilgrim from Edgar Wright and I think Baby Driver was the better film, by far. The action sequences alone were even better than the action in The Fate of the Furious which I recently saw two days ago at the NYC Premiere in Radio City. Believe the hype. I can't wait to see it again in June.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. not sure what to think of this.

Selddon

Banned
I've been seeing stuff about this movie for months and only now have I seen that its an edgar wright movie what the fuck!

World's End > Hot Fuzz = Scott Pilgrim > Shaun of the Dead

but they're all variations of 8 to 10/10s for me so lets go baby. these impressions got me pumped.

Glass Rebel

my god
lupe1.png

I was kind of hyped for this movie until I realized that the premise is that the main character has tinnitus that he drowns out with music. And now I can never watch this. I have tinnitus and the only way I can manage it is thinking, reading or hearing about tinnitus as little as possible. The thought of watching a whole movie about a character with bad tinnitus fills me with panic.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was kind of hyped for this movie until I realized that the premise is that the main character has tinnitus that he drowns out with music. And now I can never watch this. I have tinnitus and the only way I can manage it is thinking, reading or hearing about tinnitus as little as possible. The thought of watching a whole movie about a character with bad tinnitus fills me with panic.

What is your symmetrical coping superpower?

Sami+

Just saw it at FSU's early screening. Holy shit. It's like Drive except with characters you like and not brooding and an Edgar Wright movie instead.

Easily a top contender for me. Just so, so, so gripping literally from the first moment til the credits. Also I don't think I've ever seen a better use of a soundtrack in a movie. Also I like cars now and I didn't know that before.

Baby Driver > Hot Fuzz = Scott Pilgrim > Shaun of the Dead

Just got out of a screening for this. Goddamn is Baby Driver a cool fucking movie.

I think it's easily the most accomplished film Edgar Wright has made to date. His style is on full display, but it also features moments of experimental filmmaking that I was shocked to see from him. Most notably, the film visually shows how our mind operates when we listen to music in our lives. This makes the car chases exciting and unique in a manner that blew me away. The characters themselves are all fantastically written and fun, even the ones that you hope get their comeuppance.

I'm still processing it, and I'm definitely going to catch another showing when it properly releases. I think my only negative is that I did not quite buy into the romance so much as simply being swept along with it due to just fun the film is.

Damn, I'm really LTTP on this but what the hell are they thinking pushing the release date to smack dab in the middle of summer? On the other hand, I'm thrilled I only have to wait a month to see it, but dayum Sony fucked up.

Just got out of a screening for this. Goddamn is Baby Driver a cool fucking movie.

I think it's easily the most accomplished film Edgar Wright has made to date. His style is on full display, but it also features moments of experimental filmmaking that I was shocked to see from him. Most notably, the film visually shows how our mind operates when we listen to music in our lives. This makes the car chases exciting and unique in a manner that blew me away. The characters themselves are all fantastically written and fun, even the ones that you hope get their comeuppance.

I'm still processing it, and I'm definitely going to catch another showing when it properly releases. I think my only negative is that I did not quite buy into the romance so much as simply being swept along with it due to just fun the film is.

I thought his filmmaking was improving with every movie he made (although I put Hot Fuzz over Scott Pilgrim), so this doesn't surprise me. It does impress me though how consistently great this guy has been so far, and I'm excited to hear about that use of music in the visualization too.

i'm jealous of y'all who saw it so early.

zsynqx

Ahh sounds awesome. Thanks for the write up!!

DeathyBoy

Banned
Rewatched Hot Fuzz. I really hope this film has plotting that tight. Nothing is wasted in Hot Fuzz. It's so tightly plotted that
Angel's conclusion re: the murders that's proven wrong is as airtight as the actual motive.

But this looks so good. EW is an incredible director.

Rewatched Hot Fuzz. I really hope this film has plotting that tight. Nothing is wasted in Hot Fuzz. It's so tightly plotted that
Angel's conclusion re: the murders that's proven wrong is as airtight as the actual motive.

But this looks so good. EW is an incredible director.
Yeah plot seemed pretty tight in my opinion the romance seems it could drag it away somewhat for some people to me it was fine

Matt

Well, I saw it.

It was OK. I didn't love it, not sure why, but I think not loving it is kinda dragging my opinion of it down even more, because I expected to love it. Music was cool, car action was great, it just didn't have that extra something that I expect a Wright film to have. Hard to put into words, like it was a little low energy, even though it seems that this film should be all about a constant kinetic feeling. I'll think on it a bit more to see if i can explain it better.

Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

8bit

Knows the Score
DBQKE00XoAE9Vj_.jpg

Some big tunes on the soundtrack even if they're not obvious picks by some of those bands.

Any word on if Brad Allan is doing this? He's the stunt coordinator for World's end and Scott Pilgrim and was curious if he was back on this.

Any word on if Brad Allan is doing this? He's the stunt coordinator for World's end and Scott Pilgrim and was curious if he was back on this.

looks like he's not sadly going by the imdb. i imagine this doesn't have much in the way of hand to hand combat though so I guess Wright might have opted for somebody more experienced in car stunts this time.

How are the romance sections, and how does Baby Driver compare to the other films in the Edgarverse?

Romance sections are handled really well and there's another pretty great relationship in it that hasn't been marketed at all. Strong performances from Elgort and James. There's another small romance between two other characters I really liked.

Hot Fuzz is my absolute favorite Wright movie and this one come very close to topping it. Haven't seen Scott Pilgrim in a while and I do think it's better than Shaun of the Dead though it's very close.

I hope it's as good as Gods of Egypt.

Sorry m8. You're going to be disappointed.

I don't think this film has much hand-to-hand like his previous films, and IMDB doesn't credit him.

The stunt coordinator and 2nd unit director, Darrin Prescott, is the same person who worked on Drive, John Wick 1+2.

I've seen this twice now, both at preview screenings. Sony is hosting a fuck ton in LA between now and release.

I'm a big Edgar Wright fan, and I fucking loved it, personally.

Can't wait to see it again (and pay for it this time!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom