• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman V Superman’ Takes A Dive With -70% Second Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news:
Ce_pHaFWIAEDe5C.jpg

Ce_l3J9XEAAg2nT.jpg

CfAVrqBWQAAHAmv.jpg
giphy.gif

Alienous

I really have no idea what WB can do about this.

Letting 'Justice League' run its course and hoping for the best seems like their least worse option.

ReiGun

This is the first time I've seen people arguing for more studio control and interference.

People really hate the holy fuck out of this movie. lol

Cipherr

Its such horseshit man. People are in denial..

BvS, much like Snyder’s Man of Steel, takes itself very seriously. It attempts to balance a wide cast of characters with an engaging spring blockbuster story, and there have been many gleeful attacks that assert that Snyder just wasn’t able to hit the mark when it comes to constructing a story that people might actually enjoy. I believe that a lot of those bad feelings are coming from a mismeasure of fans expectations of superhero films versus the kind of story that Zack Snyder is interested in telling.

No man, we all loved TDK and it did just fine without an overdose of humor. We packed the fucking theatres for many weekends loving the universe he created, and no one accused us of "expecting the wrong thing" back when they were making billions.

But now that BvS failed to execute a similar tone properly suddenly the fault lies with me the viewer because I never gave it a fair shot? Well that's surprisingly convenient man.

Seriously, its getting annoying watching people try to blame viewers for this shit.

If the majority believe something, it's true?

The first sentence of what you quoted was:

Also: it's time to stop calling BvS "polarizing" or "divisive" as though it's a redux of MoS.

The definition of the bolded words literally do not work when the 'majority' agree on the state of the film. Period.

Said it a million times that the 2nd weekend was the most important for this movie. No way was it gonna flop last week like so many was dreaming about.
But unless the movie got great reviews then it would tank week 2, Batman and Robin styleml.

Good. DC needs to stop listening to Zack Snyder. Lucky for them marvel didn't release cap 3 at the same time as once rumored

What do you mean once rumoured?
BVS was supposed to be released that weekend. But Marvel had it slotted for an unannounced movie, but when they revealed it would be Cap Vs Iron Man WB blinked 1st and moved BVS.

What do you mean once rumoured?
BVS was supposed to be released that weekend. But Marvel had it slotted for an unannounced movie, but when they revealed it would be Cap Vs Iron Man WB blinked 1st and moved BVS.

I kinda wish they hadn't blinked.

The destruction would have been epic.

Its such horseshit man. People are in denial..

No man, we all loved TDK and it did just fine without an overdose of humor. We packed the fucking theatres for many weekends loving the universe he created, and no one accused us of "expecting the wrong thing" back when they were making billions.

But now that BvS failed to execute a similar tone properly suddenly the fault lies with me the viewer because I never gave it a fair shot? Well that's surprisingly convenient man.

Seriously, its getting annoying watching people try to blame viewers for this shit.

What's amazing is people love daredevil and binge watched the shit out of it A WEEK before this movie came out. It being "too dark" or "too serious" is freaking ridiculous and honestly kinda hilarious.

Actually Daredevil season two has the same concept, so it's even more hilarious.

TruHero

Banned
Snyder explicitly promised a few months before MoS began filming that it wouldn't be part of any broader DCU, and no one involved with the film even hinted at anything to the contrary until many months after production had wrapped.

It's pretty obvious that it was originally intended as part of a self-contained trilogy a la Nolan, and that plans changed at some point in 2012, presumably in response to Avengers.

Exactly when they decided to add Batman and Wonder Woman to the mix is less certain, though there are rumors that the former only came in days before the SDCC 2013 announcement.

After BvS, I never want to read complaints about how Iron Man 2 was just a set-up for Avengers. I didn't think the scenes in IM2 were all that bad, but the JL scenes in a BvS were so obviously shoved in there to set up future movies.

Haunted

Sounds like a shit movie kinda tanked.

That a shit movie that kinda tanked can still make that much money just on IP and marketing alone is another kind of indictment, but eh.

What's amazing is people love daredevil and binge watched the shit out of it A WEEK before this movie came out. It being "too dark" or "too serious" is freaking ridiculous and honestly kinda hilarious.

I'd kill for a full feature of the good parts of BvS.

I'v said it 100 times, but there is a GOOD movie in there. It's just mired in so much shit, the worst editing in a blockbuster I think I'v ever seen, and a functionally flawed sense of direction that you need to completely retool it to get that movie out of there.

The first twenty minutes are incredible.

Mass One

I saw it under the best conditions possible and still didn't like it. I even have a panorama of the theater minutes before the movie started. Spoliers:
There was barely anyone there.
I will admit, I have cursory knowledge of the box office side of the movie industry. But I feel that a Batman V Superman movie should have had more people in seats than a Vergil Autograph Signing.

So this news does not surprise me.

RDreamer

Iron Man felt like he hopped right off the comics of the time, which we hadn't seen in a superhero film before. Maybe you didn't like the feel of the film -- and I certainly found it odd early on when Captain America and Thor's films felt more like Iron Man than I expected them to -- but it was very character appropriate.

Perhaps. I haven't read too many Iron Man comics, so I don't know if they got his character right, not that it really matters to me. The movie was entertaining. I'm not saying it's bad. It was just a very simple popcorn sort of movie. Didn't want you thinking too hard. That's alright, but I'd rather take something like MoS over that on a lot of days.

I'd kill for a full feature of the good parts of BvS.

I'v said it 100 times, but there is a GOOD movie in there. It's just mired in so much shit, the worst editing in a blockbuster I think I'v ever seen, and a functionally flawed sense of direction that you need to completely retool it to get that movie out of there.

The first twenty minutes are incredible.

I'll be honest, this first moment when I knew something was wrong was when lil Batman rose into the air jesus style, but yeah, the movie doesn't understand how to tell a story. It's editing is awful, lois and clark have zero chemistry and the justice league threads are out of no where. It probably has an 1 and 45 minutes of a good movie if they just focused on the story.

hal9001

Banned
Warner must be panicking so fucking bad right now. They NEED DC to be their cash cow for the next 10 years. If this doesn't even get out of the gate, the whole studio might go nuclear.

Snyder's done, the whole thing needs to be reformatted and reworked. They need to put JL on the shelf, slot some solo stuff (Batfleck, the Flash, WW), get the goodwill of audiences back, THEN make JL.

Right now if they keep going forward with Snyder and his plan, it's gonna be a trainwreck.

There is no goodwill, there never was or will ever be. I'm convinced people, critics and some Marvel fans will have hated this film even if it was mildly good. DC can never win with these people no matter what they do.

THEY WANT IT TO FAIL. THEY LOVE TO GLOAT AT ALL THINGS GOING BAD AT DC.

Heck even Dark knight trilogy which is universally acclaimed has some of these people biting their tongues. "Oh it's not a real superhero film - just a Mann film with someone dressed up as Batman".

Feel sorry for WB. The one studio who isn't afraid to take risks and back innovators like Nolan and Wachowski sisters projects no matter what. Feel this might spell the demise for them if they don't sort it out.

tomtom94

Eehhh, that would have depended on the reviews of Civil War.

Reviews didn't affect BvS's first week gross, though, and I reckon the combined brand recognition of Batman and Superman would have easily beaten Civil War to the extent that even with the best legs ever Civil War would have struggled to overhaul it.

So judging from these pictures in this thread, the people who support this movie don't give a damn how shitty it is as long as it has Batman and Superman in it?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Reviews didn't affect BvS's first week gross, though, and I reckon the combined brand recognition of Batman and Superman would have easily beaten Civil War to the extent that even with the best legs ever Civil War would have struggled to overhaul it.

Reviews would have mattered more if both films were opening the same weekend, that is what I am saying.

it had no legitimate competition. It still would have done huge numbers, but it's crazy to think that an opposing blockbuster wouldn't have stolen eyeballs with reviews that bad.

There is no goodwill, there never was or will ever be. I'm convinced people, critics and some Marvel fans will have hated this film even if it was mildly good. DC can never win with these people no matter what they do.

Heck even Dark knight trilogy which is universally acclaimed has some of these people biting their tongues. "Oh it's not a real superhero film - just a Mann film with someone dressed up as Batman".

Feel sorry for WB. The one studio who isn't afraid to take risks and back innovators like Nolan and Wachowski sisters projects no matter what. Feel this might spell the demise for them if they don't sort it out.

What a bunch of bullshit...I can't even tell if you're serious or trolling

Citation needed on the bolded, please

Oh just stop. This wasn't some innovative but flawed masterpiece that didn't resonate. This is a bad movie that god bad reviews and bad word of mouth.

It set records OW, people were obviously excited to see it, I was excited to see it. Then the word of mouth hit, then reviews hit, then it spiraled and people realized that this was a bad movie with some good elements too it.

Just because the tone is different, doesn't inherently make it a good movie, it had an insane amount of goodwill simply because it has "Batman" in the title. That goodwill is gone now.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Yikes.

LaNaranja

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1014664

Guys, GUYS!

What if they actually had gone agaisnt Civil War?

They absolutely never would have gone through with it, but I think you would've seen two massive opening weekends - followed by Civil War consistently topping the charts for the weeks to follow. The curiosity is still there, the fanboys will still turn out. CW eats absolutely any non-enthusiast audience turning out for BvS post opening weekend. But it's the afterglow that separates a moderate success from a smash hit.

This post deserves a YTMND of someone reading it in a funny voice.

NYR

You're insane and so incredibly wrong. I've never heard anyone call TDK trilogy a Mann movie but you, are you hearing multiple voices in your head? It would explain what is going on with your post.

Actually Daredevil season two has the same concept, so it's even more hilarious.

In fairness, Daredevil has a much lower budget than any MCU film, and it's highly unlikely that any superhero film with a similar tone would be able to make anywhere near a billion.

What a bunch of bullshit...I can't even tell if you're serious or trolling

Citation needed on the bolded, please

So many nerds around here parrot that "it's a good movie but not a good BATMAN/COMIC movie" narrative

Frankly I'm with the both sides were lame camp. Some people caped way too hard for this haha but also some of the people rooting for its failure were pretty insufferable too.

dVJNUJlVS6yeyEYhtJIL_Confused%20Mark%20Wahlberg.gif

In fairness, Daredevil has a much lower budget than any MCU film, and it's highly unlikely that any superhero film with a similar tone would be able to make anywhere near a billion.

The dark knight had similar tone and made a billion. Seriously this movie doesn't have an excuse and their's no conspiracy, it just sucks.

I thought it was pretty good. They tried to jam a bit too much into the film but it was far better than the naysayers on here would have you believe. Not even close to the incoherent mess it's touted to be.

PBY

Banned

It's really not that serious, and most people don't care about the financial successes or failures of a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom