• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 3 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

I really really enjoyed that episode. I can't wait until Gus and Walt's next conversation. Maybe they don't have one and Gus keeps Walt in the dark by talking through intermediaries.

Lots of other stuff already mentioned.

Walt Jr. has a lot of whiny kid qualities that really grates in some other shows (Claire on Heroes is the best example.) Big credit to the writers and Mitte on how well they're doing with that character.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Mindlog said:
Walt Jr. has a lot of whiny kid qualities that really grates in some other shows (Claire on Heroes is the best example.) Big credit to the writers and Mitte on how well they're doing with that character.
This is so true. I actually wanna high five the kid for taking a fucking stand.

Such a good episode, can't wait for next week. I think the Twins will talk next week, and I am looking to Skyler coming home and getting put in her place by Walt......... or at least I hope he does, ain't nothing wrong with a man cooking a little meth if it's because his wife wants him to get chemo.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Great episode, i really liked that in a single episode they found out about Walter and visited him, they could have dragged that stuff out longer but i am glad they got to the point right away. Now i am wondering what happens next, damn AMCTV and your US only restrictions!

Great episode.

Loved the pizza on the roof, another Walt crotch-grab during his rant, Jesse scamming his parents (and scoring a cheap house in the deal), Saul Goodman's return (and his license plate), Flynn wanting to be called Walt Jr. again, and of course the glorious return of Tio.

I wish it was next Sunday.

Hm I'm confused about one thing or I guess moreso from last season.

Why didn't Tuco's uncle rat on Jesse with the DEA but called out Walt? I can understand the "twins" pressuring him into naming Walt but I was still confused as to why he didn't name Jesse. Did he really have that stroke moment when he pissed himself?

Grimm Fandango said:
Why didn't Tuco's uncle rat on Jesse with the DEA but called out Walt? I can understand the "twins" pressuring him into naming Walt but I was still confused as to why he didn't name Jesse. Did he really have that stroke moment when he pissed himself?
Tuco's uncle is old school gangster, and he refused to rat to the authorities. The twins didn't pressure him into it - he wanted to tell them. Also, I'm not sure if this is considered a spoiler or not, but the twins are also known as
the cousins...

big_z

Grimm Fandango said:
Hm I'm confused about one thing or I guess moreso from last season.

the cartel has a code where they dont help the FBI, they mention it right after the guy shits himself. the twins didnt pressure him either, they're part of the same family. he was just excited they were there to get revenge.

EDIT: fuck beaten

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Another great episode. Love all the callbacks to early S1 Walt (the crotch grab, the shot from inside the dryer) as he's pretending he can still be that guy

That ep was fantastic. God i love this show.

"You're right Hank. It's none of your business." AWWWWKWARD. :lol I know a lot of people don't like Skyler's abrasiveness, but i love her for it. She has more than enough reason to be.

Marie conjecturing and poking around to get an inkling of what went down is making for some great laughs. She isn't exactly an important character in the scheme of things, but she provides some nice small moments of humour. The priceless look on Hank's face while she ate her dinner, for example. I have a feeling she might become important later and uncover something.

beezlebozo said:
yeah, i took special pleasure in watching jesse's parents get fucked. saul tearing them apart in the meeting was glorious. odenkirk deserves an award for that shit.
That was immensely satisfying. God i love Saul. His scene opposite Walt had me rolling.

Still finding the cousins rather comical, though that's not a bad thing.

This episode was littered with AMAZING shots too and the music fit perfectly.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
:lol Just got done reading this. Good stuff. You use Google Reader, Cornballer? That's where it just popped up for me.
Yup, that's where I got it from. :lol
Spotless Mind said:
I know a lot of people don't like Skyler's abrasiveness, but i love her for it. She has more than enough reason to be.
I like where they're taking her this season. Her situation is rough since she can't/won't tell Walt Jr what's going on, and having her get involved with cooking the books at work is intriguing.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Cornballer said:
I like where they're taking her this season. Her situation is rough since she can't/won't tell Walt Jr what's going on, and having her get involved with cooking the books at work is intriguing.
You got a shared items page to hook a brother up with? Your updates in each TV thread I see are always welcome.

Mindlog

Cornballer said:

and they seem to be setting her up for worse

What if?
Saul succeeds and 'convinces' her to stay with Walt.
She's really getting trapped. Bordering on a tragic figure you want to sympathize for, but then you remember she's a pregnant smoker.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
You got a shared items page to hook a brother up with? Your updates in each TV thread I see are always welcome.
Unfortunately, I don't have shared items set up. I can PM you a list of feeds that I follow if you're interested - there actually aren't that many. I double-dip these days because most items come over both Twitter and Google Reader.
Mindlog said:
and they seem to be setting her up for worse

What if?
Saul succeeds and 'convinces' her to stay with Walt.
She's really getting trapped. Bordering on a tragic figure you want to sympathize for, but then you remember she's a pregnant smoker.
Well, no one's a saint on this show, and they put you in the uncomfortable position of pulling for characters that have some unlikeable traits. The show gets under my skin for that reason, but that's part of why I like it.

woodchuck

Spotless Mind said:
Marie conjecturing and poking around to get an inkling of what went down is making for some great laughs. She isn't exactly an important character in the scheme of things, but she provides some nice small moments of humour. The priceless look on Hank's face while she ate her dinner, for example. I have a feeling she might become important later and uncover something.

Marie's "gut feeling" was my least favorite part of the episode. Hank gives a really solid explanation of what happened, and Marie is just like "yeah, I have a feeling it's more than that."

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
woodchuck said:
Marie's "gut feeling" was my least favorite part of the episode. Hank gives a really solid explanation of what happened, and Marie is just like "yeah, I have a feeling it's more than that."

If that ditz ends up being the one other than Skyler to figure it out then I shall be the one flinging pizzas.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
woodchuck said:

I think more than likely this was a set-up for Marie to find out about Walt before Hank and more than likely, causing her to die this season. Just a guess though.

woodchuck said:
Real life is not governed by forensic detectives. Sisters that grew up together are attuned to the kinds of nuances that can't be put in to words. And even to an outsider, it's clear that Skyler is more angry with disapproval rather than emotionally shattered as she might have been if Hank had cheated on her.

On another topic, I really like how Hank has developed. In season 1, I thought he would be a throwaway character, but he's really grown on me.

woodchuck said:
I didn't have a problem with that at all. As she even said herself, if it was "only" Walt having an affair, Skylar probably would have told her by now.

AlternativeUlster said:
I think more than likely this was a set-up for Marie to find out about Walt before Hank and more than likely, causing her to die this season. Just a guess though.
Yeah, if anyone close to Walt on a personal level was to die, i'd bet on her. The other characters provide too many amazing interactions with Walt for me to imagine the writers killing them off within this season.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I can see Hank getting killed off in the season finale as a result of getting caught in Walt's dangerous life, if only to just really hammer home the theme of choice & consequence/cause & effect into Walt's thick head. If 167 people dying in a plane crash didn't make Walt realize he's made bad decisions, maybe a personal loss will get him there.

TheOddOne

Got around to watching this weeks episode. Always thought Gus was a underused character, but glad to see that he's gonna have a bigger part this season.

CygnusXS

TheOddOne said:
Got around to watching this weeks episode. Always thought Gus was a underused character, buy glad to see that he's gonna have a bigger part this season.
You just have a thing for black guys named Gus.

TheOddOne

CygnusXS said:
You just have a thing for black guys named Gus.
zx7cpt.jpg

xbhaskarx

CygnusXS said:
I can see Hank getting killed off in the season finale as a result of getting caught in Walt's dangerous life, if only to just really hammer home the theme of choice & consequence/cause & effect into Walt's thick head. If 167 people dying in a plane crash didn't make Walt realize he's made bad decisions, maybe a personal loss will get him there.
They better not kill off Hank...

Blader

woodchuck said:

Women, amirite?

CygnusXS said:
Yeah i could see them going there with him, but i think they'll be saving that revelation for at least next season. Marie seems most likely to me, because it would be easier for her to die and have it be viewed as retaliation for Hank's involvement in dealing with the cartel, without pointing directly to Walt in some way.

Hank really grew on me so much last season. His interactions with Walt add a lot to the show and it would be sad to lose him.

Another great episode as usual, can't wait for the next one.

On a side note, I noticed there seems to be way too many characters in this show with either a bald head or a shaved head. Is that suppose to symbolize something or is it just really hot down there?

mYm|17|

Finally caught up to sunday's episode which was great.

I am glad Jesse is doing better. I feel bad for the guy a bit

Daigoro

great episodes so far this season. this last one was the best yet.

looking forward to things picking up and getting crazy as the season progresses.

CygnusXS said:

that plane crash bs from the end of last season was SUCH a stretch. if the show wasn't so fun to watch that might have made me tune out.

CygnusXS

Daigoro said:
that plane crash bs from the end of last season was SUCH a stretch. if the show wasn't so fun to watch that might have made me tune out.
It was hyperbole, to be sure, but I feel like it was a really strong way to cap off the main theme (or what I saw as the main theme) of that season. I was a little disappointed initially like everyone when the cartel didn't show up to start some serious shit in the finale, but in terms of series pacing and escalation, and in retrospect, I was actually really satisfied with the crash.

I mean, it's basically a piece of literature. It's allowed to take some liberty in order to make a point.

Daigoro

CygnusXS said:
It was hyperbole, to be sure, but I feel like it was a really strong way to cap off the main theme (or what I saw as the main theme) of that season. I was a little disappointed initially like everyone when the cartel didn't show up to start some serious shit in the finale, but in terms of series pacing and escalation, and in retrospect, I was actually really satisfied with the crash.

I mean, it's basically a piece of literature. It's allowed to take some liberty in order to make a point.

the series takes plenty of liberties, but that really pretty much ruined the finale for me last season.

im over it now though, and back to loving the show. :)

CygnusXS

brianjones said:
hyperbole? wtf? do you even know the meaning of that word

hy·per·bo·le
   /haɪˈpɜrbəli/ Show Spelled[hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA
–nounRhetoric.
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

Yeah, that seems to fit exactly with what I said. Using something as dramatic and unlikely as Walt indirectly causing a mid-air collision by letting a drug addict choke on her own vomit as a lesson on why it is important to remember that all actions have consequences, intended or otherwise, is obvious and intentional exaggeration.

Burli

Pringo
Great episode, loved everything from Saul screwing over Jesse's parents to the entire triple infiltration scene.

I'm not convinced on the 'Jesse is looking better' thing, that would be too nice and simple of the writers, he's still going to go off a deep end, just don't know which one.

Mike M

Nick N
I suppose it is a testament to how awesome this show is that days later, I'm still turning over the pizza scene in my mind.

It's just so readily apparent that Walter believes that if Skyler would just give him the opportunity to explain himself, they could put this behind him. Hence the child like enthusiasm at his wholly naive and inadequate offer of a pizza in the way of reconciliation, and the temper tantrum of impotent "WHY WON'T SHE LISTEN?" rage when she shuts him down.

This episode seemed to foreshadow two possible routes for their relationship. The ongoing drama between Skyler and Skyler's boss about cooking the books seems to be laying the foundation for Skyler finding a way to understand Walt did the wrong thing for the right reason and forgive him (Which I'm sure would be immediately complicated by something along the lines that if Walt stops cooking meth for Gustavo, Gustavo won't be able to protect him from The Cousins.), or perhaps Walt does finally have the opportunity to explain himself to her and she still doesn't forgive him, leading to a meltdown and confrontation like the one between Walter and the cop in the beginning of the episode when his explanation didn't get him what he wanted like he thought it would.

Though given how erratic his behavior is getting, I'm leaning towards the latter. I still don't even understand what he was doing in the house at the end of the episode. Did he break in to take a shower (He doesn't have a shower at his place?), or did he take a shower because he had to break in by going through the crawl space under the house? Man's going loco, but everything he does is justifiable to him in his eyes, and everyone else's failure to understand how justifiable it is just pushes him further into loony land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom