• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 3 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lafiel said:
I'm kinda hoping this is the last season. Because i'm not so sure, how things can get any worse then what's happening right now.:lol
:lol Yeah, true. But I just don't want the series to end! It's so goddamn good. Definitely one of my favorite dramas of all time.

An absolutely stunning episode. I was worried that I was too hyped for the show, that nothing they could do could match how big I've built it up in my mind, yet the premiere managed to exceed every expectation I had.

Walt's pathetic need to rationalize away his responsibility for the plane crash is amazing to watch. His speech at the school assembly was brilliant. Time for a Cranston three-peat at the Emmys.

Equus Bellator Apex

MINE!

mN4K2.gif

KingGondo

Banned
Willy105 said:
I was reading that writeup, and the comment below it just blew me away.

Check this out!
Read the whole newspaper article, and see if you find something that is familiar.
Wow, wonder if that was intentional.

I mean, Walter White isn't the least common name out there, but that's still kinda cool. And knowing the writers, it wouldn't surprise me if it was planned.

Schrade

Willy105 said:
I was reading that writeup, and the comment below it just blew me away.

Check this out!
Read the whole newspaper article, and see if you find something that is familiar.
The fuck? Since when is Google scanning in Newspapers? Where is the main page for that?

bucklam66

Good opening episode, just setting up the coming tensions while reminding the viewer of the old ones as well.

Also that newspaper article is crazy, I wonder if it was intentional?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So I know him dripping the teddybear eyeball under the bed and forgetting it will pay off...but I can't remember what the significance is. The crew found the bear in the investigation but was there something I'm forgetting?

mattiewheels said:
So I know him dripping the teddybear eyeball under the bed and forgetting it will pay off...but I can't remember what the significance is. The crew found the bear in the investigation but was there something I'm forgetting?
It's just been floating around lookin' at him (and judging him :p ) since the start of season 2.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Cornballer said:
It's just been floating around lookin' at him (and judging him :p ) since the start of season 2.
Ok... I just thought I forgot some significant thing that would tie him to everything. But, I guess the cat's out of the bag as far as his family goes anyway.

Helmholtz

davidthemute said:
Gus Fring gives me a Brother Mouzone vibe. Just from how they're both articulate and seemingly very professional. Whether or not Gus is a bad ass like Mouzone, well have to see.
Never thought of that before, but I can definitely see it.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
mattiewheels said:
Ok... I just thought I forgot some significant thing that would tie him to everything. But, I guess the cat's out of the bag as far as his family goes anyway.

z72SY.gif

I think those scenes are going to be significant in some way as the season progresses.

Tetra-9

mattiewheels said:

Also, why was the bear in the mural on Jane's wall?

nemesun

Powerful episode, I always love Breaking bad in its slow burn mood. this show is incredible and I have absolute faith in Gilligan to don't let up. season 2 was some of the best TV I have ever seen in my life, and although last season's finale left a bad taste in my mouth - this premier utterly redeemed it.

nemesun

Are we going to get any Breaking Bad podcast this year? I had a blast listening to Vince and co after every episode last season.

xbhaskarx

nemesun said:
season 2 was some of the best TV I have ever seen in my life, and although last season's finale left a bad taste in my mouth - this premier utterly redeemed it.

Some dude named Walter White caused a mid-air plane collision in real life!
That is so fucking awesome that people should not be allowed to complain about the Season 2 finale anymore.

nemesun

xbhaskarx said:
Some dude named Walter White caused a mid-air plane collision in real life!
That is so fucking awesome that people should not be allowed to complain about the Season 2 finale anymore.
:lol I seriously thought the season 2 finale was out of this world until the whole mid-air collision, we all had our own ideas about the pool scene through out the season and I never expected 'em to end it the way they did, the whole deus ex concept was seriously doing my head in. now that I have a better understanding of the actual incident, I can look back and appreciate the grandeur of season 2 finale a lot more, believe me.

Helmholtz said:
Never thought of that before, but I can definitely see it.
I'm mostly just speculating, but it's an interesting thought. If anything, the cousins already have the role of the unstoppable bad asses filled.

mattiewheels said:
The Teddy bear's eye fell into the pool from the plane crash right? I believe it's just his reminder of his involvement in indirectly causing the planes to collide. Which he keeps trying to rationalize and talk his way out of the guilt.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
davidthemute said:
The Teddy bear's eye fell into to pool from the plane crash right? I believe it's just his reminder of his involvement in indirectly causing the planes to collide. Which he keeps trying to rationalize and talk his way out of the guilt.

The whole teddy bear fell from the flight. It was the first shot of season two, remember?

OneEightZero said:
The whole teddy bear fell from the flight. It was the first shot of season two, remember?
Yeah. I was just making sure. I didn't rewatch season 2 before 3. So I'm a little vague on specifics.

nemesun said:
:lol I seriously thought the season 2 finale was out of this world until the whole mid-air collision, we all had our own ideas about the pool scene through out the season and I never expected 'em to end it the way they did, the whole deus ex concept was seriously doing my head in. now that I have a better understanding of the actual incident, I can look back and appreciate the grandeur of season 2 finale a lot more, believe me.

i dont think you know what deux ex machina means

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Great premiere, the Cartel Murder Twins had a great introduction. Can't wait to see how everything plays out.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Also, who else thinks the cartel dudes are going to "persuade" Walter to come back with them to Mexico and cook for the cartel? I could see season four starting with Walter alone in Mexico trying to escape the cartel.

xbhaskarx

Spire said:
Also, who else thinks the cartel dudes are going to "persuade" Walter to come back with them to Mexico and cook for the cartel? I could see season four starting with Walter alone in Mexico trying to escape the cartel.

Well, Santa Muerte's robes are either blue or purple...

Episode-1-Cousins-2-760.jpg

Purple Santa Muerte statue: The color purple is purported to bring health.

Wikipedia: Associations between colors and petitions vary. White is the most common color and can symbolize loyalty, purity or the cleansing of negative influences. Red garb is for love and passion with partner and/or family. It can also signal emotional stability. Gold-colored robes indicate economic power, success, money and prosperity. Green garb signals justice or unity with loved ones. Amber or dark yellow indicates health or money. Images with this color can be seen in rehabilitation centers, especially those for drug addiction and alcoholism. In black garb, the image represents total protection against black magic or sorcery, or conversely for negative magic or for force or power. Blue garb indicates wisdom, which is favored by students and those in education. It can also be used to indicate health. Brown robes are used to invoke spirits from beyond and purple robes indicate the need to open some kind of pathway. There is also a version of the image in a rainbow-colored robe. This is called the Santa Muerte of the Seven Powers. The colors of this robe are gold, silver, copper, blue, purple, red and green. Gold is for wealth, red for love and passion, purple for the changing of negative to positive, silver for luck and success, green for justice, copper for lifting negative spirits, and blue for spirituality.[2][5] In addition to the vestments, each adorns his or her own image in his or her own way, using U.S. dollars, gold coins, jewelry and other items.[6]

nemesun

brianjones said:
i dont think you know what deux ex machina means
"previously intractable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with a contrived introduction of a new character, ability, or object." and that object was airplane in last season. before the start of this season I thought mid-air collision happened as Vince pointed out in one of the BB podcast that "Karma" had something to do with it and that was quite disappointing in a way; especially after all the buildup we witnessed through out the season.

xbhaskarx

I really hope Walt and Jesse end up in Mexico. It's too good an opportunity to pass up.

1) Walt can finally get away from his family and Jesse's girlfriend is gone.
2) Shit is crazy down in Ciudad Juarez right now.

xbhaskarx

brianjones said:
why would he want to get away from his family?

I mean he IS away from his family, not that he necessarily wants to be.
Who knows why he would go to Mexico, or if he would even go willingly (notice how Spire put persuade in quotation marks), but I'm hoping that's what happens.

nemesun

xbhaskarx said:
I really hope Walt and Jesse end up in Mexico. It's too good an opportunity to pass up.

1) Walt can finally get away from his family and Jesse's girlfriend is gone.
2) Shit is crazy down in Ciudad Juarez right now.
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm getting sick of Skyler as well, wouldn't mind taking a break from Walt's dysfunctional family altogether. just reassign Hank back to El Paso and we're all set.:D

xbhaskarx

nemesun said:
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm getting sick of Skyler as well, wouldn't mind taking a break from Walt's dysfunctional family altogether. just reassign Hank back to El Paso and we're all set.:D

When the Hank --> El Paso thing happened last season, I was really hoping Walt would use that as an opportunity to get down to Juarez by visiting Hank.

his dysfunctional family was caused by him being a drug dealer.. how does him going to mexico and becoming a drug lord fix that.

xbhaskarx

brianjones said:
his dysfunctional family was caused by him being a drug dealer.. how does him going to mexico and becoming a drug lord fix that.

What the hell are you talking about? Who said it would "fix" that?

Walt's family situation would be fixed by him no longer being involved in the drug trade. Do you think that's going to happen? Now that Walt has said no to Gus, is the show over?

nemesun

xbhaskarx said:
When the Hank --> El Paso thing happened last season, I was really hoping Walt would use that as an opportunity to get down to Juarez by visiting Hank.
I really wanted Tuco to take Walt/Heisenberg and Jesse back to Mexico, it would have been ace if it happened back then, but I wouldn't expect anything that drastic to happen before the season's finale.

nemesun

brianjones said:
What are you on about mate? who said anything about Mexico being remedy for his family problem? as far as I'm concern his family was dysfunctional long before he discovered he had terminal lung cancer. he was trapped in a one-sided marriage and stuck with a crappy job, Lung cancer only triggered the inevitable imo.

The episode was slow but it felt like it was setting up the pieces for a very interesting season. Can't wait until next weekend.

Ventrue

Well, hopefully next episode they'll move away from the plane crash. :/

I liked where Jesse was going this episode, at least.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I'm so glad it was a slow pace and they didn't try and force so much stuff into the first one, this season is gonna be great

nemesun said:
as far as I'm concern his family was dysfunctional long before he discovered he had terminal lung cancer. he was trapped in a one-sided marriage and stuck with a crappy job, Lung cancer only triggered the inevitable imo.

Pretty much. Though I wouldn't necessarily call it dysfunctional, but they made it clear that Walt wasn't happy with being just a school teacher when they did the episode about his old love interest and his old job and how all that went bad and bit him in the ass. And you're right, the cancer brought up a bunch of Walt's repressed feelings.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the chapter today, wow it was amazing, great performance all around and those brothers, damn! i am pretty they are Tuco's cousins. Also i found a nice Bryan Cranston interview (i hope it's not old) about the first season episode that includes how they shoot that exploding truck scene, pretty cool.

nilbog21 said:
Oh my gawd what a dissapointment. The last scene was so cheesy and the auditorium scene was just baad ;[
The auditorium scene was supposed to make you feel uncomfortable and it worked.

Great premiere. I think Breaking Bad is currently the best show on television. I'm curious to see how Gus reacts to Walt saying no. He comes across a calm business man, but no one gets in the position he is in by being compassionate and understanding, I'm guessing if Walt doesn't comply, Gus will force his hand.

Explosion walk was pretty cheesy, but I think that whole scene was effective in showing just how bad these mofos will be.

Auditorium scene was my favorite, I love how Walt was trying to rationalize his guilt away and it was really awkward :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom